Reviews of Labadee's "Dragon's Tail Coaster"?

Dan Askin

I tried RCI's new Dragon's Tail Coaster on Labadee and it was ...  

279 members have voted

1. 1. I tried RCI's new Dragon's Tail Coaster on Labadee and it was ...

• Awesome, and definitely worth the $35 per ride
    • Pretty fun, but once was probably enough for me
    • Average at best, a balance of thrills and yawns
    • A rip-off, and definitely not worth the money
    • I didn't try it -- it looked way too scary
    • Haven't been back to Labadee yet, so no chance to test out the coaster
    • Other -- please post

Maybe it means that from past experiences riding coasters that we don't think ANY of them would be worth $35.00 a clip including the one at Labadee.

I sort of agree with that, but it is a poll about what people who rode it thought of it... not about the pricing. Most of the 64 haven't rode it or probably even seen it.

I remember going to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure in Florida several years ago, and at the end of the day we had managed to ride all of the rides. I would say that out of all of the rides I probably really liked two of them. So, 12 hours for 2 good rides for about $70 plus food and drinks. I had a great time, don't get me wrong... but the value per ride was about like this thing. :D

That said, I still think my tiny bit of brilliant insight really stands on its own... don't you, OB.

jc

I sort of agree with that, but it is a poll about what people who rode it thought of it... not about the pricing. Most of the 64 haven't rode it or probably even seen it.

I remember going to Universal Studios Islands of Adventure in Florida several years ago, and at the end of the day we had managed to ride all of the rides. I would say that out of all of the rides I probably really liked two of them. So, 12 hours for 2 good rides for about $70 plus food and drinks. I had a great time, don't get me wrong... but the value per ride was about like this thing. :D

That said, I still think my tiny bit of brilliant insight really stands on its own... don't you, OB.

jc

You know me JC, I've been in awe of your brilliant insight ever since we met on these boards.;):D

It starts out that way, but the OP CLEARLY has a option for those that have not ridden it.

Looks like the responses between those that wouldn't, and those that have but don't think it's worth it, may be of interest to either RCCL or the people that invested in it.

Maybe they'll move the failed Oasis dirigable to Labadee.

It starts out that way, but the OP CLEARLY has a option for those that have not ridden it.

Looks like the responses between those that wouldn't, and those that have but don't think it's worth it, may be of interest to either RCCL or the people that invested in it.

Maybe they'll move the failed Oasis dirigable to Labadee.

:

I don't think I want to ride in it since I noticed your Led Zeppelin avatar! :D

I know you won't believe this, but last summer we went to Germany, and on the border near Switzerland and Austria, there is a company that offers Zeppelin rides, and that I had booked to ride this silly thing for like 90 minutes for the wife and I. I had to prepay the tickets, and they came to like $800 or $900. We were in Lucern Switzerland and our flight over a large lake was to be at noon. They were to contact us at our hotel the night before to confirm that the flight would occur. It rained on us all day in Lucern, and we got a phone call at the hotel at about 9pm saying that the flight was probably not going to happen, but that they would confirm the next morning at 8am. They called again in the morning and it was indeed cancelled. They said they would credit my visa card. Which of course they didn't. I had to dispute the bill when I got back. It all turned out in the end, but ... a lot of people are not going to flinch at $35 when they are bored out of their minds sitting on that particular beach. A lot of people are not sitters on vacation, they are doers. I am a doer. Of course, I am a choosy doer. If I think it is cool, money becomes less important. If it looks lame (and this probably is) then I will do something else. Just another point of view.:D

Thx, OB, I know you mean it!:D

jc

:

. I am a doer. Of course, I am a choosy doer. If I think it is cool, money becomes less important. If it looks lame (and this probably is) then I will do something else. Just another point of view.:D

jc

Now you see how most of the voters may feel.The picture makes it look lame

and not worth 35 bucks but like you I may splurge if it looks nice but then again a Jet Ski Rental would most likely give a bigger bang for the buck

:cj

Now you see how most of the voters may feel.The picture makes it look lame

and not worth 35 bucks but like you I may splurge if it looks nice but then again a Jet Ski Rental would most likely give a bigger bang for the buck

:cj

For us "doers" I would say an hour on a jet ski would beat 2-3 minutes on that lame apprearing coaster any day of the week.

:

I don't think I want to ride in it since I noticed your Led Zeppelin avatar!

I know you won't believe this, but last summer we went to Germany, and on the border near Switzerland and Austria, there is a company that offers Zeppelin rides, and that I had booked to ride this silly thing for like 90 minutes for the wife and I. I had to prepay the tickets, and they came to like $800 or $900. We were in Lucern Switzerland and our flight over a large lake was to be at noon. They were to contact us at our hotel the night before to confirm that the flight would occur. It rained on us all day in Lucern, and we got a phone call at the hotel at about 9pm saying that the flight was probably not going to happen, but that they would confirm the next morning at 8am. They called again in the morning and it was indeed cancelled. They said they would credit my visa card. Which of course they didn't. I had to dispute the bill when I got back. It all turned out in the end, but ... a lot of people are not going to flinch at $35 when they are bored out of their minds sitting on that particular beach. A lot of people are not sitters on vacation, they are doers. I am a doer. Of course, I am a choosy doer. If I think it is cool, money becomes less important. If it looks lame (and this probably is) then I will do something else. Just another point of view.:D

jc

But lets put things into perspective. Considering that your coffee stach is probably worth more than the contents of the Ft. Knox vaults what is $800 or $900 dollars? I know, it is the principle of the thing!:D

BTW, I am a choosey doer too. Some times I swear that we are twin sons of different mothers.:eek::D:D

For us "doers" I would say an hour on a jet ski would beat 2-3 minutes on that lame apprearing coaster any day of the week.

You do know what my ID means don't you? XP Is a model

CDOO is a brand Seadoo

j is me

k is my lovely bride of 28 years

I rented yamahas in Key West in 1999 and it was like $90 for 2 hours circle the island and then play in the ocean. So, this silly thing might be cheaper.

So, for me a controlled jet ski environment is not to enticing, when I can go get on mine and do an all day adventure.

My coffee stash is pretty full right now, as I ordered a shipment about a month ago, from Vienna. Although, I did back the order off a bit this time around, and only bought coffee, not sweets and chocolates from those evil Austrians that entice me with their lovely creations. $900 is still a significant sum of money in my life... My upcoming cruise was picked for the value it offers as much as any other reason. We are doing a transatlantic for 13 days, with an aft balcony for less than $100 a day per person. I am just blessed that the DW and I both still have decent jobs(in this economy that is becoming rare), and beyond a Welsh Terrier and a Fat Grey Tabby cat we have no dependents. How many times in your life can you ride a German Zeppelin over a German lake in the summertime in your life? ;)

jc

You do know what my ID means don't you? XP Is a model

CDOO is a brand Seadoo

j is me

k is my lovely bride of 28 years

I rented yamahas in Key West in 1999 and it was like $90 for 2 hours circle the island and then play in the ocean. So, this silly thing might be cheaper.

So, for me a controlled jet ski environment is not to enticing, when I can go get on mine and do an all day adventure.

My coffee stash is pretty full right now, as I ordered a shipment about a month ago, from Vienna. Although, I did back the order off a bit this time around, and only bought coffee, not sweets and chocolates from those evil Austrians that entice me with their lovely creations. $900 is still a significant sum of money in my life... My upcoming cruise was picked for the value it offers as much as any other reason. We are doing a transatlantic for 13 days, with an aft balcony for less than $100 a day per person. I am just blessed that the DW and I both still have decent jobs(in this economy that is becoming rare), and beyond a Welsh Terrier and a Fat Grey Tabby cat we have no dependents. How many times in your life can you ride a German Zeppelin over a German lake in the summertime in your life? ;)

jc

OMG! All this time and I never could figure out how you came up with that crazy set of letters!

answered other: <we do not book any excursions on the ship. They are overpriced and you can do better on your own. Having said that I realize that Labadee is privately owned by RC. We have been there 3 times so it's a beach/snorkel day for us and we bring our own gear. We would not book RC's excursions.

Some friends of ours booked a ship excursion on one of our stops (St Marteen) with waverunners. Anyhow it was a total bust and the equipment (waverunners) weren't even working properly. They said they got about 5 minutes time on the WR then it died (all of them died!). They were so mad and to make things worse, the person running this excursion got nasty with the cruise guests? Anyhow, our friends went straight to the desk when they got back on and complained and explained exactly what happened. I guess then they had to write out what happened so it could be reviewed? It took 3 days for RC to decide to refund their money!? Needless to say they were frustrated when we told them about our excursion and what a great time we had on the island and what we paid. :) We had a fabulous day and I felt very bad for them.

There appears to be a consensus that the $35 charge is excessive. If enough passengers share that belief, refuse to take the ride and let it be known their reason, it seems as though at some point, RCI might have to consider lowering or eliminating the fee. We actually have a little bit of leverage in dealing with this issue. RCI incurred some costs in building this ride and if they don't get a reasonable return on their investment perhaps they will decide that they need to readjust the fee.:) If they don't it is simply $35 more in my pocket.;) Then again, if Barnum was right, they will find enough takers to justify the fee.

There appears to be a consensus that the $35 charge is excessive. If enough passengers share that belief, refuse to take the ride and let it be known their reason, it seems as though at some point, RCI might have to consider lowering or eliminating the fee. We actually have a little bit of leverage in dealing with this issue. RCI incurred some costs in building this ride and if they don't get a reasonable return on their investment perhaps they will decide that they need to readjust the fee.:) If they don't it is simply $35 more in my pocket.;) Then again, if Barnum was right, they will find enough takers to justify the fee.

Whoa, logic foul! TWEET!!!! Bill, you should know that discussing this issue logically is not allowed.

jc

Very true, but I've never jammed an icepick in my eye and I am of the distinct opinion that it would be unpleasant.:mad:

I suppose you could get an icepick in the eye while riding the thing, suppose they were doing a dolphin ice sculpture nearby. Yikes. Somebody better close down the roller coaster for the sake of eye safety!!!!

jc:D

• 3 months later...

I know I'm reviving a dead thread but I couldn't resist posting this link. It's a video of the entire ride from start to finish. I'm sure this will help folks make their decision. Also, it's important to note that the prices have been adjusted since this thread was last bumped...

Single Ride - $15

Double Ride - $25

All-day Pass - $40

Video:

The wife and I will be in Labadee on Solstice in just over a week and we are still debating on this "excursion". Mostly whether we will be riding together or separate (thanks to the price adjustment)! :D

Troy (and Sandy)

I voted "other". We were there last week. We didn't try it...just not interested, but if we were, the price would probably have stopped us. From a distance it looked more like a scenic drive than a thrill ride. The cars we saw were going very slow. I understand you have some control over the speed, but I can't see spending the money and then just going down the course at a snails pace. The zip line I can understand. It looks like fun. But the coaster, not so much! :confused:

Addendum: After viewing the video in the previous post, it does look a lot faster from that perspective. I still think it would be a big disappointment for coaster enthusiasts.

- Steve

I know I'm reviving a dead thread but I couldn't resist posting this link. It's a video of the entire ride from start to finish. I'm sure this will help folks make their decision. Also, it's important to note that the prices have been adjusted since this thread was last bumped...

Single Ride - $15

Double Ride - $25

All-day Pass - $40

Video:

The wife and I will be in Labadee on Solstice in just over a week and we are still debating on this "excursion". Mostly whether we will be riding together or separate (thanks to the price adjustment)! :D

Troy (and Sandy)

When you say double ride do you mean two rides or one ride two people?

Were looking at doing this in May but wanted to know if my wife and I can ride together?

thanks

Whoa, logic foul! TWEET!!!! Bill, you should know that discussing this issue logically is not allowed.

jc

Thanks for the reminder, jc. Sometimes I just get carried away and need someone like you to bring me back to reality.:D Have yet to figure out why the Law of Supply and Demand is so difficult for some to comprehend.:confused:

I've heard such great things about Labadee and am going for the first time in January. I wish it was before they started building this crap... :cool:

I certainly understand this sentiment. I was there first in 06, and loved it for just what it was. I was there again in 08 and at that time they had just added the zip line, but I didn't find it too obtrusive, but they had also closed one beach as they were preparing to build the pier. I have to great photos, and I'm sure others have many, of our ship(s) anchored in the day. It just won't be the same anchored.

Does anyone know if/when the new pier is done?

We have a few of these coasters here in New England. One I've tried charges $9 for a single ride or $39 for an all day pass and that includes a trampoline and other rides.

$35 per ride is just way to much in my book. :rolleyes:

I might try it at those prices.

P26-vi.jpg

That is ugly, I wondered how it would affect Labadee's natural beauty. I mean they went out of their way to make that cell phone tower look like a palm tree and this thing looks like razor wire around a prison camp.

Archived