Reviews of Labadee's "Dragon's Tail Coaster"?

Dan Askin

I tried RCI's new Dragon's Tail Coaster on Labadee and it was ...  

279 members have voted

1. 1. I tried RCI's new Dragon's Tail Coaster on Labadee and it was ...

• Awesome, and definitely worth the $35 per ride
    • Pretty fun, but once was probably enough for me
    • Average at best, a balance of thrills and yawns
    • A rip-off, and definitely not worth the money
    • I didn't try it -- it looked way too scary
    • Haven't been back to Labadee yet, so no chance to test out the coaster
    • Other -- please post

This is a quote from another thread posted by a person who was just off Liberty.

We ended waiting almost two hours to ride the coaster. It was okay, but not worth the wait.

As stated, I haven't been there yet and I'm just relating based on my experiences, but the wait is as bad as the pricing given the limited amount of time you get to spend in Labadee. I might be persuaded to give up $35 once, but I wouldn't give up 2 hours of my day. That is one aspect that hasn't been mentioned here. I'll continue to look for an enjoy other's experience on this topic as that is all I can do for this year.

I tried the coaster when we were there at the beginning of December. We were given a free coupon for 4 people to ride, so we did not have to pay. I wouldn't call it a "Thrill Ride", but it was fun. The person in the back controls the speed, so for us that was my husbands job, and he is not a ride lover, so we went fairly slow. Had I been at the back, it would have been a bit more thrilling. But the view is absolutely stunning!! Great picture taking opportunity if you go slow. It certainly wasn't busy when we went on it, there was no one waiting so we just walked right on. That was near the end of hte day though. At $15 I think it's worth it, but it depends what you are looking for in the ride...

I was hoping you could get a reservation for the coaster. Now that it is $15 pp I think my wife and I are going to try it. We will let you know!

Schwimm

Your post was the first I have seen that mentions a lower price than what was at the beginning of the thread. The youtube video is worth checking out. From that, if there wasn't a long line I would try this once. I hope your price is accurate and that outcries of the higher price forced it lower.

We have a few of these coasters here in New England. One I've tried charges $9 for a single ride or $39 for an all day pass and that includes a trampoline and other rides.

$35 per ride is just way to much in my book. :rolleyes:

Hello Alphakitty:

We will be on the Oasis in November and would love to hear all about your likes and dislikes on your cruise. We live in Boston and are in Rhode Island to hear our friends band TT Powertrip often. Please let us know how your cruise goes and hoping you have a wonderful trip. email: tmj730@comcast.net.

• 1 year later...

O.K. here is a similar setup. The zipline at Icy Strait in Alaska. Faux cruise port, lots of tourist thingy and then this zip line. It drops you 1300 feet in about 2 minutes and reaches 60 mph or so. Would you do it for $90? I did not think so until I saw it. HOLY MOLEY what a drop! I did not ride it as it was poring rain, but if I ever go back.... I DO think I would do it weather permitting. Some people did not care and did it anyway. Most said it was quite a rush.

I haven't been to Labadee since they added the coaster and, to be honest, I'm not sure I want to return now. I wasn't expecting much from Labadee on my first visit, but found it lovely and relaxing - really enjoyed it. However, the crowding from the new mega-ships and the addition of an amusement park ride would really negatively impact the serenity of the location, which I considered to be its PRIME attraction. I'm more likely to avoid cruises stopping in Labadee in the future, so the coaster has been a negative influence on the ports attraction...at least to THIS traveler.

While $35 is inexpensive for an excursion, it's a LOT for a three-minute ride. I just can't justify it.
My thoughts exactly.

I don't mind paying $100 (or even more) for a snorkeling trip, a tour, etc . . . but it has to be something memorable and unique, and it has to be a good value for the money. This isn't.

I haven't been to Labadee since they added the coaster and, to be honest, I'm not sure I want to return now. I wasn't expecting much from Labadee on my first visit, but found it lovely and relaxing - really enjoyed it. However, the crowding from the new mega-ships and the addition of an amusement park ride would really negatively impact the serenity of the location, which I considered to be its PRIME attraction. I'm more likely to avoid cruises stopping in Labadee in the future, so the coaster has been a negative influence on the ports attraction...at least to THIS traveler.

Actually, the coater is at the very far end of the compound and mostly hidden by vegetation. It is very non-intrusive on the Labadee experience. The zip line is out over the water by Dragon's Breath but it. too, can be easily avoided by going to one of the other beaches.

I don't think you will find that either venue has much of a negative impact on the Labadee experience. And this is the opinion of someone who doesn't like "private" stops in the first place.

Like Ocean Boy said, the coaster is far out of the way. It's up on the mountain where the zip line platform was built. When I was there a couple months ago, I had to look for it because it's location was not obvious. In fact, unless you go all the way down the beach to where the back entrance is to Labadee, you won't even see the coaster. Heck, I didn't even know there was a second entrance gate to Labadee until I saw it from the coaster.

This is a very old thread, so if it was new, my vote would be different. I enjoyed the coaster. I probably won't do it again, but I did have fun on my 1 ride.

• 6 months later...

I see a lot of negative about the coaster ride and although I will not be in the area for a few more weeks I'd still like to suggest something. While looking through the shore excursions I noticed that the all day pass is only double the cost for one ride and the cost includes the ride for a passenger. If you are in a group of people why not take advantage of it, buy the ticket, ride it 2, 3,7, any amount of times with a different passenger. It doesn't state in the shore excursion guide that you can't.

I see a lot of negative about the coaster ride and although I will not be in the area for a few more weeks I'd still like to suggest something. While looking through the shore excursions I noticed that the all day pass is only double the cost for one ride and the cost includes the ride for a passenger. If you are in a group of people why not take advantage of it, buy the ticket, ride it 2, 3,7, any amount of times with a different passenger. It doesn't state in the shore excursion guide that you can't.

In the past, people have posted that once the ride has been open for awhile, the wait times to reboard lengthen. So it's not really practical to reboard again and again unless you want to waste your day on line.

Archived