Live - Panama Vancouver-S.F.-Fort Lauderdal Sept 14 - Oct 1st

vickie_bernie

I haven't gone back on all the posts but I will say that the "Elite and Suite" pre-dinner cocktails and appetizers is wonderful. Last night they fixed steak tartare on toast points...yummy. The night before they featured smoked salmon. They also have homemade cheese straws, pretzels (the fat kind) and fresh vegetables and dip. It's entirely possible to make a dinner out of what they serve. Michael is the chef and greets everyone as they come in. Last night the Maitre D stopped by to say hello. The hours are from 5 to 7 every evening.

In the morning we always get an invitation letting us know what they will be featuring.

The new Maitre D will be boarding tomorrow in Acapulco. He's one of our favorites, Mario Propato.

Ciao for now.

Maureen

first I stand corrected the lecturer that is on board that Bernie went to see was Astronomy NOT Astrology... sorry

Maureen is right about the Elite/Suite perks, very nice. Went last night for the first time. Note the hours are 5 until 7:30, arrived late last night and got a glass of Tawney Port for $5 which usually go for $7.25 and had a few snack items. yes those cheese straws were to die for. Every day an invitation arrives for that night's reception. It states the appetizer and the drink special. Of course you can order anything you want from the bar. There is a cost for the drinks, it is not like RCI which I have heard has cut back on there Conceirge lounge and is not offerring on all ships. Our pre dinner cocktail is a nice perk, but as long as we get the free mini bar I am happy, for which I might add we have managed to polish off except for two liquours, but there are six of us enjoying that perk.

Wanted to also mention that our Meet and Greet was well attended with I would guess about 70 people. The officers attended and spoke, very nice.

Got some sun yesterday... very hot, had to apply 30 spf twice and still got red on my chest. Pool games and chipping contest happened while we were there.

dinner last night was very good. We went to our table and Rolly and Caesar took care of us again. We put in an order for escargot for tonight! YUM.

The chef's table happened last night, 14 attended from our Roll call, they did a special exception with that number normally it is 10 max 12. They all commented that it was wonderful. We passed this time but may do on our Jan trip. To check out a video of our Chef's table experience in the past click on the link in my signature to see my photo montage.

The comedian Don Ware was last night did see a bit of his show, but we couldn't keep our eyes open so we ducked out early.

Should also mention last night was the Mexican Deck Party

Today in Acapulco they are bringing on a Mexican dance group for a fiesta show, but that is before we leave so we will be still ashore.

Got our laundry last night and couldn't identify a pair of shorts/swim trunks.... somehow we got someone else's item and we are missing a pair of shorts/skort really. Will have to clear that up later.

We dock at 11 and we are planing on catching the local bus to Playa Calleita (think that is how you spell it) for the day. WE have been here numerous times and are looking forward to a beach day. if you are wanting to see the fort all you have to do is walk over the road on the above sidewalk bridge and the fort is on your right, very easy. Pay your entry and enjoy.

Vickie and her man

[quote name='vickie_bernie']first I stand corrected the lecturer that is on board that Bernie went to see was Astronomy NOT Astrology... sorry

Vickie and her man[/QUOTE]

Good to hear from you 'Vickie and your man' - the postings are your trademark and as good as ever!!

The Astronomer wasn't my Dad was it Bernie??? He's just back from a cruise lecturing - they were in Norway and Spitsbergen - and he gave 7 lectures over 14 days on various subjects. He had over 150 at each, excellent on a smaller ship with so much going on.

Continue to enjoy the cruise as you clearly are - we can't wait to our voyage on the Queen Victoria in November now reading your exploits...............

C&G

Hi Vickie (and Bernie!)

It sounds like you guys are having a ball. Bill and I did a Ft. Lauderdale to Ft. Lauderdale Panama cruise a few years ago and REALLY enjoyed it. It surprised us that we thought it was so interesting... kinda like Alaska surprised us.

I just wanted to warn you that there is a thread right now about changes in the FCCs. Supposedly it changed on Sept. 17th. I guess Princess is now saying that you need 2 FCCs. One for each person and in each person's name for the OBC. I was thinking that you only buy it in Bernie's name. Some are even saying that their credit has disapeared if they only used one FCC. (like we did! I'll have to check) Anyway, I thought I'd let you know if you need to buy any in your name.

Have a great cruise and talk to you soon!

Cathy

[quote name='vickie_bernie']

Got some sun yesterday... very hot, had to apply 30 spf twice and still got red on my chest.

Vickie...I didn't know they allowed topless sunbathing!:eek: Looking forward to our shared balconies in January!:D

Larry

[quote name='vickie_bernie']Wanted to also mention that our Meet and Greet was well attended with I would guess about 70 people. The officers attended and spoke, very nice.[/quote]

Interesting. When planning the M&G for our October 11th cruise on the Island Princess, I was told by the coordinator that if an officer attended there would be a charge of $80/hour, and that all questions would need to be submitted in advance.

Vickie, hope your cruise continues to go well. I'm really enjoying your posts (so much so that maybe we'll just let CC rely on you for a Live From thread from the Ruby in January!). Too funny about the astrology/astronomy correction. Men seem to love the first and disdain the second...and they're related, right?

Enjoy that hot, SPF requiring sun. We are having a grey, rainy day with the snow level at 7500 ft. Definitely a harbinger of things to come. Can't wait for January. Have fun!

[quote name='vickie_bernie']first

Today in Acapulco they are bringing on a Mexican dance group for a fiesta show, but that is before we leave so we will be still ashore.

We dock at 11 and we are planing on catching the local bus to Playa Calleita (think that is how you spell it) for the day. WE have been here numerous times and are looking forward to a beach day. if you are wanting to see the fort all you have to do is walk over the road on the above sidewalk bridge and the fort is on your right, very easy. Pay your entry and enjoy.

Hi Vickie
We're loving reading about your cruise!
In February I signed up for a snorkel cruise with The Swiss Divers Association in Acapulco. They go out of Hotel Caleta on the Playa Caleta . if you see them let me know what you think. (It's only $35 for 4 hours so you might want to go with them.)
Have fun!

[quote name='PescadoAmarillo']Vickie, hope your cruise continues to go well. I'm really enjoying your posts (so much so that maybe we'll just let CC rely on you for a Live From thread from the Ruby in January!). Too funny about the astrology/astronomy correction. Men seem to love the first and disdain the second...and they're related, right?

Enjoy that hot, SPF requiring sun. We are having a grey, rainy day with the snow level at 7500 ft. Definitely a harbinger of things to come. Can't wait for January. Have fun![/quote]

PescadoAmarillo, I agree that Vickie's LIVES are always very enjoyable but so are yours. Perhaps you can be a tag team and both post on the LIVE when you cruise together in January. CC would be missing something if you don't post also. We enjoy and learn so much from your postings too.:D

I agree about joint live threads, I know some from our Roll call have dropped in here and I encourage them to add what ever they want. That is what is so great about CC

Don't know about the FCC thing Cathy, I know I had heard similar things on the golden. We are not buying FCC this trip, may buy some in Jan. I will try and ask the FCC host.

Captain Circle is the 2nd formal night coming up. Almost everyone is a CC member so it should be busy.

That is crazy about the officers charging to attend. I got a list of the officers that would be on our sailing from the Princess contact that ;you reach when you book the meet an Greet. I did up personal letters to all of them, even included shore excursion manager and Circle host too. about 75% of them attended.

Question about suite, well if money was no object then it would be the PH shuite, but I am happy with whatever cabin I get... as long as I am on the ship. I am very easy going.

You are too funny Larry -- sun is very strong! Lots of burnt people so I am not alone.

We are really enjoying the balconies as we have three cabins beside each other right now and so it makes one long one. We have rule, if sheers are drawn then that means don't bother, and it is working.

Karen, Acapulco question, sorry don't know about snorkeling there. Is this a private excursion.

For us in Acapulco we crossed the main street and caught a local transit bus to Caletta beach, Calitta is right beside it. Cost was .50 each, so $1 return. We sat at Pedro's bar and enjoyed 15 peso beers, can't get cheaper than that! We also enjoyed some red snapper, yum yum. Now the beach was very busy as we were there on a Sunday and lots of locals were there. We were the only people there from the ship. The water though in Acapulco is rather dirty and there was quite a bit of garbarge, don't know how the snorkeling might be, didn't see a single soul snorkel. all the beaches here are rather dirty, may be better in the hotel zone but that was just to far to go to.

We caught the bus back and went to the craft market, easy walk from the ship, but be prepared because it was HOT.

dinner was in the dining room last night, we had prearranged to have escargot with dinner and the head waiter did not disappoint. We tipped him extra.

We have been bring wine to dinner and we pay the $15 corkage with no issue.

We then took part in the Name that Tune for Movie and TV shows, and we tied with another team, but we got ball caps again, but gave them to the other couple on our team as we only got two and we allready have caps.

yesterday they had the t shirts/ball cap special 2 for $20 or $12.99 each.

Today we docked in Huatulco and for those of you who know us personally know we have visited Huatulco on land vacations a few times and have a school here that we visit and transport school supplies and books to. It is a small school and we always say we have adopted them! WE brought two large suitcases one full of school supplies, one full of basic English books that were donated from friends. Also our Cruise Critic group raised some money $215 which we donated to the school. One of the school owners met us at the gangway at 815 and took us to the school we stayed there for a few hours and saw all the kids and had a great time. We received lovely cards and notes from each child. Many of them remebered us from our last visit two years ago.

We then walked around La Crucicita and then took a taxi back to Santa Cruz where they had entertainment, but unfortunately we didn't have much time as we had to be back on board for 1230.

For our friends we directed them to La Entegra beach which is not too far away, they took a taxi there for $20 return. There are lots of restaurants there and it is a beautiful beach. They arranged for the driver to come back at a certain time and he did.

There is a lovely beach right at Santa Cruz too and Chaue beach is very close too but a little rougher. You can't go wrong anywhere in Huatulco. Now we want to go back on a land vacation.

We sat by the pool this afternoon. A little more sun, just what I need.

Sea day tomorrow, tonight I think we are going to skip the dining room, getting a little tired of dining room, HC for us. May also go tot he Elite Cocktail party.

Oh I also got my shorts/skort back were delivered to the wrong room.

Colin/Gwenda, you can still book Jan with us! Hint Hint.

Tonight is Island Night Deck Party, again those who know us know how much we like it so you know where we will be.

Take care.
Vickie and her man (still the same one, celebrating 14 years on this cruise)

Hi Vickie
This is so much fun to read and follow along with you!
The snorkel excursion in Acapulco is private and they take you to Roqueta Island. I hope it's cleaner than the beaches you described!
We also booked a private snorkel excursion in Huatulco where they take you to 2 or 3 of the nine bays.
We 're doing land tours in Cartagena (Lee Miles) and Punterenas (Charley Soto) and that's enough bus touring for me.
Are you doing any of these?
I can't wait to see what you do in Fuerte Amador because [I][U][B]nothing[/B][/U][/I] looked interesting there. (Did the Embera Indians already and it's ok but not something we need to do again)
Have fun on Island night!

Hey, Vickie! I'm enjoying your postings. We'll be on the Island on Oct 11 and very interested in what you have to say about the food, rooms, etc. Can you tell us anything about the Cruise Director? Usually, he's the one that keeps things rolling. I haven't heard anything on any of the posts or reviews about the one on the Island. What's your take on the Island's Cruise Director?

Archived