Sorrento/Capri

jdomb

We will be on the Oceania Nautica docking in Sorrento/Capri on Oct. 11th and have a 2 hour private tour to Capri. After the Carpri tour, does anyone know if we will have time to see Sorrento on our own as our ship does not leave until late at night?

Please reply to my email: jdombc@ameritech.net

Thank you

We will be on the Oceania Nautica docking in Sorrento/Capri on Oct. 11th and have a 2 hour private tour to Capri. After the Carpri tour, does anyone know if we will have time to see Sorrento on our own as our ship does not leave until late at night?

Please reply to my email: jdombc@ameritech.net

Thank you

Most likely.

You will have to tender to the dock in Sorrento which takes about 15 to 20 minutes then you have to ferry over to Capri which takes about 45 minutes. After seeing Capri ( a few hours is enough..but some seem to really like it there) you have to do the ferry back. There are free shuttles at the Sorrento dock to take you up to the town.

Depending on what time your ship sails, you may be lucky enough to even have dinner in sorrento .

It is such a lovely town. Again you will have to tender back to the ship from the dock.

I don't think I'd bother with Capri at this point. The Blue Grotto is presently closed because Italian Health Officials discovered that locals were dumping (are you sitting down?) the contents of local cesspools into it! :mad:

http://www.eturbonews.com/11249/capris-blue-grotto-limits-tourists-after-sewage-dumping

Cockatooswater.jpg

Capri will be empty of Tourists in October and easy to get around without the need for a private tour guide. I also think thee may be some faster hydrofoils running at that time.

Having been there once, we would not bother again but would sooner use the time to see Pompeii, Herculaneum or Sorrento.

The Caruso Restaurant in Sorrento was enjoyed by many on our Cruise.

Brian

Just be aware that the free shuttles that a previous poster mentioned stop running at (I believe) 5:00. If you're reasonably fit, it is not a strenuous walk from the tender dock to central Sorrento -- although there are quite a few steps.

If you walk, you might also want to bring a flashlight for the trip back to the ship after dark. We, fortunately, had a full moon to light our path.

Just be aware that the free shuttles that a previous poster mentioned stop running at (I believe) 5:00. If you're reasonably fit, it is not a strenuous walk from the tender dock to central Sorrento -- although there are quite a few steps.

If you walk, you might also want to bring a flashlight for the trip back to the ship after dark. We, fortunately, had a full moon to light our path.

In June, on Nautica, the free shuttle stopped running at 4:30 PM.

I don't think I'd bother with Capri at this point. The Blue Grotto is presently closed because Italian Health Officials discovered that locals were dumping (are you sitting down?) the contents of local cesspools into it! :mad:

That's a shame! We have done Capri on our own twice and absolutely loved it. We never made it to the Blue Grotto so don't know what we missed...

We docked in Naples, walked 2 minutes to the ferry dock and bought tickets (maybe 15 euros pp, each way), and ended up spending most of the day on Capri.

One time we walked around the East half of the island (Villa Jovis, Natural Arch, Casa Malaparte, Faragliones, finishing back in town at an outdoor cafe in the Piazzetta for a glass of wine and a snack).

Last year we climbed the Phoenician Stairs to Anacapri for the cable ride to Mt. Solaris, then walked around the West side for views of the Lighthouse, Belvedere, Guard Tower, and Limincello shopping in Anacapri before ending at the Tiberian Baths.

There's a ton of things to do; I'd go back again for more if I ever stop there, even without the Blue Grotto. It's easy to get around on your own. If you are not into climbing stairs there are buses and taxis available.

NOTE: if you do go buy your own ferry tix at the pier in Naples, beware of a scam. The tix operators will pretend not to speak English, and a person will stand at the window to "help" translate for you. Of course, they expect a hefty tip for their services... Ignore them and speak to the ticket operator. "due billetos, Capri, retourne...":D

like some of the others have said i dont think you need a tour guide for Capri....but that is your choice. Beware of what other ships are in the area. We just went last week from O Insignia and there were all these MSC people everywhere - it was a zoo. Some one said 20,000 people visit Capri every day...No tour operator is going to help you when the lines are so long...but as someone said Oct should be better.......when you get off the boat at Capri (if you do you own thing) you have to get tickets (right of pier) and know what line you need to be in to get the lift to capri town......from there you walk up the road to the bus stop if you want to go to Anacapri -- the buses are very small and lines impossible - we had to wait for 6 busses before we got one but they come very quickly. We stood all the way to Anacapri and the fact that two of the locals made the sign of the cross at every hair pin turn wasnt comforting but we got there in one piece...once there it slows /quiets down a bit. Villa St Michele is very very nice and we ate on teh way back to the bus at a nice quiet place - then walked to Hotel Punta Tragara -- very nice views. one the way back we did have time to go back to the ship via tender AND do Sorrento town with dinner.......and shopping so very very possible to do all in one day.

i hope you have far less people than we did ...i would consider based on this experience never going back to Capri due to the crushing crowds and time we had to spend in lines......yuck ...but again Oct should be better..Take a sweater

Do not be alarmed that the shuttle stops at around 5pm.

The local buses are at the Port and for about 3 euros return you can travel later. They go up the VERY steep hill to the Centre. Buy your tickets at the nearby kiosk.

I would totally disagree with Aruba that the walk to Town is not strenuous.

Brian

• 9 months later...

We are on the O Insignia stopping at Sorrento on September 22 and would like to attempt to do a short 1-2 hour tour of Pompei in the morning and Capri in the afternoon/evening. From what others have written and doing some research would this seem possible :eek::

8am ship arrival

tender to port by 9am

free shuttle into town - walk to train station

10am Circumvesuviana line to Pompei Scavi station (35 min ride) - station supossedly across from entrance to ruins

10:45-12:15 see what we can see in 90 minutes

12:30 train back to Sorrento

shuttle to ferry terminal

1:50 hydrofoil to Capri (40 min ride)

2:30-5:30 tour around

6:30 last hydrofoil back to Sorrento

tender home

Also, is the sorrento/capri ferry terminal near where we tender?

Thanks for your thoughts!!!

We are on the O Insignia stopping at Sorrento on September 22 and would like to attempt to do a short 1-2 hour tour of Pompei in the morning and Capri in the afternoon/evening. From what others have written and doing some research would this seem possible :eek::

8am ship arrival

tender to port by 9am

10am Circumvesuviana line to Pompei Scavi station (35 min ride) - station supossedly across from entrance to ruins

tender home

jmcgriff,

Welcome to CC.

What you propose is doable but hardly enjoyable (IMO); you'll be stressed and rushed and there is little time for things like trains not running on time, missing a train or ferry, etc. Unless you are not likely to return to the area anytime soon, I would choose one or the other and enjoy it more leisurely :).

Also, you should have a back up plan just in case the ship has to dock in Naples (as it often does due to wind/tides).

jmcgriff,

Welcome to CC.

What you propose is doable but hardly enjoyable (IMO); you'll be stressed and rushed and there is little time for things like trains not running on time, missing a train or ferry, etc. Unless you are not likely to return to the area anytime soon, I would choose one or the other and enjoy it more leisurely :).

Also, you should have a back up plan just in case the ship has to dock in Naples (as it often does due to wind/tides).

Well said...

jmcgriff: This sounds like tourist torture! One of the best travel hints

we have ever been given is "save something for next time."

The only thing a schedule like yours is good for is to tell everyone

at home that you have DONE all these wonderful places that should have been savored.

Well said...

jmcgriff: This sounds like tourist torture! One of the best travel hints

we have ever been given is "save something for next time."

The only thing a schedule like yours is good for is to tell everyone

at home that you have DONE all these wonderful places that should have been savored.

Absolutely correct.

"Notch on the bedpost tourism" is a mistake.

Unfortunately, many people dine out on their stories of canceled ferries, missed connections and broken down busses. They mistake that drama for the excitement of travel.

We had a similar discussion for our upcoming trip for this stop.

We decided to take the train to Pompeii and do a 3 hour guided tour and then return to Sorrento for an afternoon of casual wandering about the town.

We felt that trying to squeeze in Capri would be a mistake - I did not want to shorten our time in Pompeii for any reason and I wanted to fully experience a couple of things (if that's even possible in just a day, but that's a debate best left for another thread).

If you miss one connection or there is a strike or some other unanticipated "event" you're basically SOL and you risk missing the ship - not good but hey, if this is your thing then by all means give a go.

Those are my thoughts.

8am ship arrival

tender to port by 9am

tender home

We are on the O Insignia stopping at Sorrento on September 22 and would like to attempt to do a short 1-2 hour tour of Pompeii in the morning and Capri in the afternoon/evening. From what others have written and doing some research would this seem possible :eek::

8am ship arrival

tender to port by 9am

10am Circumvesuviana line to Pompeii Scavi station (35 min ride) - station supossedly across from entrance to ruins

tender home

Wow. Might be a good itinerary if you want to take a lot of pictures, which I suggest as that's likely to be the only memory you have of this day.

We spent 2h at Pompeii with a ship's tour out of Sorrento several years ago and barely scratched the surface. It's not enough time there; yes we can say "we were there" but we need to return for more some other time.

We have done Capri twice on our own from Naples (the ferry from there is extremely convenient). Each time, we had about 5 hours on the island, and we went around on our own. There is still much more that we want to see and do on Capri, and we're looking forward to another visit.

So, you could do all this and get a brief flavor of each place, if that's what you want. Or as others suggest - pick one and plan a more in-depth visit, and save the other for next time. We would also prefer the latter itinerary.

Others have mentioned to have a backup plan if you dock in Naples; as above, the ferry to Capri from Naples is a piece of cake. It leaves from practically the same dock where the cruise ship is berthed so that would be a good backup plan... We have never tried Capri from Sorrento though so hopefully someone else can help with that.

Most likely.

You will have to tender to the dock in Sorrento which takes about 15 to 20 minutes then you have to ferry over to Capri which takes about 45 minutes. After seeing Capri ( a few hours is enough..but some seem to really like it there) you have to do the ferry back. There are free shuttles at the Sorrento dock to take you up to the town.

Depending on what time your ship sails, you may be lucky enough to even have dinner in sorrento .

It is such a lovely town. Again you will have to tender back to the ship from the dock.

They might even get a chance to eat at our favorite restaurant Claudia Caruso's..

There a few monhs ago and loved it..going back next week but not staying over so cant have dinner!!

Jancruz1

Pompeii is physically quite large and certainly needs more than 90 minutes of your time if you truly have an interest. The free 80-page guidebook provides wonderful information keyed to the map you get when you purchase your ticket. We spent five hours there last June on our Sorrento port day and then had just enough energy to stop at Da Franco near the Circumvesuviana train for pizza upon our return to Sorrento.

On our return cruise port day to Sorrento last month, we planned to visit much smaller Herculaneum in the morning and then proceed to Naples to visit the National Archaelogical Museum in the afternoon. Well, Herculaneum was so fantastic (much less ruined than Pompeii, so equally fascinating in a different way) that we ended up spending most of our day there, and never went on to Naples.

It truly is wonderful, but also physically exhausting, touring these unique ruins. Guess we will have to make a third trip to this area to get to the museum in Naples (not to mention Capri). :)

Guess we will have to make a third trip to this area to get to the museum in Naples (not to mention Capri). :)

To be sure, because that is where most the "good stuff" from Pompeii (and other places) is to be found!

Too many places, too little time.....:)

Thanks for all the helpful reponses. Like CintiPam, I guess we'll just have to go back again sometime!! :)

CintiPam - Your trip reviews are awesome!!!! The Athens-Istanbul review was very helpful on our Nautica cruise last year!! We rented cars at most of the ports and were able to see a lot more than we would have on the ship's excursions. I'm hoping you do a writeup of your June trip :D. It sounds like Marcello and Fabrizio are booked for Amalfi. Based on your experience, is renting a car and driving Amalfi/Positano/Ravello feasible?

Thanks again!!

• 2 weeks later...
CintiPam - Your trip reviews are awesome!!!! The Athens-Istanbul review was very helpful on our Nautica cruise last year!! We rented cars at most of the ports and were able to see a lot more than we would have on the ship's excursions. I'm hoping you do a writeup of your June trip :D. It sounds like Marcello and Fabrizio are booked for Amalfi. Based on your experience, is renting a car and driving Amalfi/Positano/Ravello feasible?

Thanks again!!

No way! (And I say this as a very aggressive ex-NYC driver who loved a challenge there.)

Perhaps feasible, but I highly recommend against doing so. I would opt for the SITA bus before I would rent a car and drive those roads. Plus whoever drives really will not be able to enjoy the fantastic views. BTW, the bus service is reputedly very good in this area.

Now you have me feeling guilty that although I wrote a lengthy review of our September 2008 Istanbul to Athens first cruise and another lengthy review of our June 2009 Athens to Rome second cruise, I did not write a review of our late April-mid May Venice to Barcelona third cruise.:o

This trip, we rented a car one day only, to explore the lovely island of Corfu, and it was a blast and very easy driving once outside of Corfu Town.

You have to be crazy to drive the Amalfi coast in a rental. The road is a very scenic but one endless tortuous curve with traffic. You will not be able to enjoy the view since your eyes are glued to the road. We took the bus from Sorrento to Positiano one year and from Amalfi to Ravello the next year. We walked from Ravello back to Amalfi along the hiking path (down hill).

• 1 year later...

On our last cruise we did the Amalfi coast with a driver. This time around we'd like to see Capri. We would like to do it on our own. Knowing that the Hydrofoil lines are very long...what time do you suggest we leave the ship?

Thank you

You have to be crazy to drive the Amalfi coast in a rental. The road is a very scenic but one endless tortuous curve with traffic. You will not be able to enjoy the view since your eyes are glued to the road. We took the bus from Sorrento to Positiano one year and from Amalfi to Ravello the next year. We walked from Ravello back to Amalfi along the hiking path (down hill).

How long was the hike from Ravello to Amalfi and was it worthwhile? Might like to add this to 'the list' for the next time in Italy

Archived