Keeping money/passports safe during water excursions?

NutsAboutGolf

For each excursion I was going to bring money, passports and a waterproof and non-waterproof camera for valuables. Will also bring an array of less of the wives makeup, sunscreen, towels, etc. What does everyone recommend? Getting some sort of waterproof "holster" to hold just the money and passports or is it generally ok to leave things in a backpack? The excursions I'm going on are the dolphins swim in Cozumel, ray city in Grand Cayman and DFR and tubing in Ocho Rios. :)

For each excursion I was going to bring money, passports and a waterproof and non-waterproof camera for valuables. Will also bring an array of less of the wives makeup, sunscreen, towels, etc. What does everyone recommend? Getting some sort of waterproof "holster" to hold just the money and passports or is it generally ok to leave things in a backpack? The excursions I'm going on are the dolphins swim in Cozumel, ray city in Grand Cayman and DFR and tubing in Ocho Rios. :)

I'm not a believer in bring passport preferring to leave that document in my safe if it hasn't already been taken by the ship.

THe quick and dirty method I've used to take cash, Creditcard, and cruise card is a plastic sealable sandwich bag. I've found them more then adequate stuck in the pocket of my swim trunks. REI and other places do sell hard plastic / sealable containers that can carry more stuff and more secure, and cost a lot more too. Google waterproof wallet and you'll find what you need :D

Personally, I would not leave my passport in a unattended backpack on shore or beach.

Sure, until someone steals it! No need to bring passports on shore for this trip; as advised, leave them in the safe.

Your room key, credit card, and even cash are already "waterproof"...at least, the key and cc are--they're plastic! And wet cash will spend as readily as dry...there's really no need to buy something special to keep these items from getting wet!

Don't bring too much with you...you won't need it. No one will steal sunscreen, towels, flip-flops, etc.....so don't worry about that sort of thing!

I will be doing non-cruise line excursions myself and in the unlikely event I don't make the last tender would need my passport to find transportation. General question, what's the point of bringing your passport if it's just going to sit in a safe as cruise lines don't require it? :)

Sure, until someone steals it! No need to bring passports on shore for this trip; as advised, leave them in the safe.

But last time we were in Cozumel, The port authority there were making everyone show there passports to get back through security and onto the ship

We're going on a dolphin swim and a snorkeling excursion, too. I bought one of these to hold our documents. After reading the user reviews, I plan to put the passports in a ziploc bag too, just in case it leaks.

I don't know if it's big enough for more than a very slim camera, though.

I will be doing non-cruise line excursions myself and in the unlikely event I don't make the last tender would need my passport to find transportation. General question, what's the point of bringing your passport if it's just going to sit in a safe as cruise lines don't require it? :)

For the sake of ALL citizens in the Western World, LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT in your room safe. Take a copy. US Passports are HOT theft items. I recently spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East. I am a US government contractor. I bet every US contractor has been asked to sell their US passport-up to $40,000 on the black market, especially those without RFID chips. They are also very hot theft items in the US Mexico border/tourist towns. It is MUCH more a hassle to replace a US passport outside the USA than to be in a Caribbean island without one. And we sure don't need to help the terrorists/drug cartels gain even MORE access to the USA/Europe.

IF you miss the ship, the Purser will go to your cabin, open the safe, and take out credit cards, passports, etc and give them to the local port agent. MAKE SURE you take the port agent's number which will be located in the daily newsletter.

For the sake of ALL citizens in the Western World, LEAVE YOUR PASSPORT in your room safe. Take a copy. US Passports are HOT theft items. I recently spent quite a bit of time in the Middle East. I am a US government contractor. I bet every US contractor has been asked to sell their US passport-up to $40,000 on the black market, especially those without RFID chips. They are also very hot theft items in the US Mexico border/tourist towns. It is MUCH more a hassle to replace a US passport outside the USA than to be in a Caribbean island without one. And we sure don't need to help the terrorists/drug cartels gain even MORE access to the USA/Europe.

IF you miss the ship, the Purser will go to your cabin, open the safe, and take out credit cards, passports, etc and give them to the local port agent. MAKE SURE you take the port agent's number which will be located in the daily newsletter.

Thanks, great info for a noob like myself! What is the point of making copies?

I still do not understand the mentality of some that think it is perfectly acceptable to step foot in a foreign country and not keep their identification with them. A passport is the ONLY ACCEPTABLE means of ID outside of the US - why would you leave your lifeline on the ship?

When you drive to the store this week, are you going to leave your driver's license at home because it's safer there?

I still do not understand the mentality of some that think it is perfectly acceptable to step foot in a foreign country and not keep their identification with them. A passport is the ONLY ACCEPTABLE means of ID outside of the US - why would you leave your lifeline on the ship?

When you drive to the store this week, are you going to leave your driver's license at home because it's safer there?

Has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with keeping passports SAFELY out of hands of those that want to do harm to our country. USA passports are worth their weight IN GOLD (much more than $1000 per ounce current gold price). There are VERY few countries that most Americans will be traveling to that have to worry about CARRYING their US passport on their person. As someone that travels worldwide in pursuit of my business (international logistics), I RARELY have my passport on my person. Name a country, I have probably been there, EXCEPT the Caribbean (no desire to go there).

In fact, after my recent experience in the Middle East, I feel MUCH safer NOT having a US passport in my possession. I was advised when I arrived Kuwait by Colonels/Generals in the US Military last January to either leave my US passport in the secure safe on the base OR put a Canadian or Aussie cover on my US passport. I was traveling UAE, Bahrain,Qatar, Iraq, Afghanistan A copy would suffice for emergencies. AND IF I got in trouble, to have NOT ONLY the local phone number in the country I was in, but also the number of the US State Dept AND the number of the COUNTRY DESK where I was traveling.

Go ahead, let your passport be STOLEN. A LOT more hassle to replace the passport and you have probably aided the terrorists/drug cartels or the illegals.

So, you are advocating leaving behind your only recognized piece of ID behind, on the off-chance that you may be targeted specifically for the passport? Let's be realistic. If you are the victim of ANY CRIME AT ALL in a destination country where most people cruise, it will likely be petty theft, a con, etc. or something else where money is the objective, not your passport.

Far better to have your passport with you and not need it, than need it while you watch it sail away in your room safe (or other hidden location where it has been squirreled).

EDIT: I do appreciate your traveling experience, and your wanting to keep passports out of the hands of terrorists. Please let me add that I know a little about that subject, being a public safety professional for many years and having dealt with more than one confirmed terrorist during that time. In my official capacity, I also provide regular intellegence to the regional Joint Terrorism Task Force.

i bought a waterproof holder that goes around your neck and it was great!!! here is the web site hope this helps

http://www.aquapac.net

So, you are advocating leaving behind your only recognized piece of ID behind, on the off-chance that you may be targeted specifically for the passport? Let's be realistic. If you are the victim of ANY CRIME AT ALL in a destination country where most people cruise, it will likely be petty theft, a con, etc. or something else where money is the objective, not your passport.

Far better to have your passport with you and not need it, than need it while you watch it sail away in your room safe (or other hidden location where it has been squirreled).

EDIT: I do appreciate your traveling experience, and your wanting to keep passports out of the hands of terrorists. Please let me add that I know a little about that subject, being a public safety professional for many years and having dealt with more than one confirmed terrorist during that time. In my official capacity, I also provide regular intellegence to the regional Joint Terrorism Task Force.

I am getting my popcorn out now...........

I am getting my popcorn out now...........

I'm not TRYING to pick a fight. No, really. :o

I just wanted folks to know that there are other schools of thought out there.

I doubt I can change greatam's mind on this in the same way that they won't change mine, but there might be a lurker or two reading this thread that has something new to think about. Everyone is entitled to their own way of doing things. :cool:

And, just so this thread isn't TOTALLY derailed:

i bought a waterproof holder that goes around your neck and it was great!!! here is the web site hope this helps

http://www.aquapac.net

...I second the aquapac recommendation. Inexpensive, and really works.

Let's be realistic. If you are the victim of ANY CRIME AT ALL ... money is the objective, not your passport.

The reality is that your U.S. passport is worth much more money than you are likely to be carrying.

The other reality is that the primary purpose of a passport is to prove your citizenship to be granted entry into a country by its govt.

there are countries where the local govt. requires foreign nationals to carry their passport. That's only time I take my passport ashore (unless I know I will need it for a specific purpose. (Visit to US embassy, etc)

Aloha,

John

Are you saying a theif will take your cash and leave your Passport??? Just like they'll leave jewelry.....

Theives take it all and re-sell what they can.

I understand your point of ID but your Embassy will still be able to help you out without it. It's not like you will be jailed without relief jus tb/c you don't have your passport with you. The passport is more needed to get back into the US than for ID in foreign countries.

We have never taken our PP with us on shore. We do take our DLs and cruise cards.. we have never had a problem getting back on ship if we had cruise card.

I travel alot in Europe,, I always leave my PP in my hotel safe.. where it is SAFE! LOL Of course,, it is only a worthless Canadian one.. LOL

So what I'm gathering is:

Buy a FAKE passport...

Leave the REAL passport on the safe...

Bring the FAKE passport to my execrusion...

Sell the FAKE passport for $40K, but not terrorists...

Stop smuggling alcohol on cruises and use that $40K for a lifetime supply of alcohol...

Would that make most people on this board happy? :P

Archived