What did you buy in Istanbul, Izmir and Dubrovnik?

I would love to buy a teaset in Istanbul but not sure how to get it home. I have no idea what there is to buy in Izmir.

I've read you can buy silk ties in Dubrovnik, but what else do they have?

I'm just curious as to what everyone has bought. Also interested in how you got stuff home that didn't fit in your suitcases.

Istanbul : We found most items in the Grand Bazaar to be way overpriced. We did buy some beautiful pashminas (make sure the tag says Made In Turkey - as some are not). Also bought a neat pillow cover embroidered with sultans robe. Also some adorable silver filigree earrings for gifts. Puchased some prints to frame of Istanbul. Unless you taste Turkish Delight first - don't buy it. We didnt like it at all...... All these items fit in my suitcase without taking up any room.

Kusadasi : We did not dock in Izmir but rather Kusadasi. Went to a small village called Sirince where I did most of my shopping. Bought one bottle of wine, a gorgeous embroidered tablecloth and napkins, silver bracelet with multi stones of small rubies, tourmaline, saphire, etc.

Dubrovnik : different cruise. Except for an oil painting (8X10) of Dubrovnik old town we didnt buy anything but lunch and some yummy cups of coffee here. Saw some adorable gold filigree dangly ball earrings and didnt buy them.......still kicking myself. Very unique.

I always buy the tourist sightseeing books and have a stack of them on my coffee table......also try to buy prints, paintings etc. of each place I visit and then frame them. My staircase is Europe..... my 2nd guest bedroom is Caribbean/tropical destinations.

I foound the Egyptian Spice Market far more interesting and less offensive (less stalking salespeople) than the Grand Bazaar and it'll be easier to get to from where you'lll get off the ship. Also, there is a lively street market scene adjacent to the Spice Market where people who live in Istanbul shop as compared to the "almost only tourists" scene at the Grand Bazaar. There will be many things that'll tempt you to make a purchase, and only you know what you like and don't - so, don't worry, you'll find things that'll interest you. About the Turkish Delight candy: it's a unique gift that'll probably be appreciated by anyone who trys it. It was the only remembrance of Istanbul I returned home with - just slightly more than 2 pounds - and everyone who tried it raved about how good it was. You have to be a candy lover, though, to enjoy candy and I realize not everyone shares the same food preferences. I purchased my candy from the store where the same familhy has made the same candy in the same workshop, upstairs, for 144-years and it was very fresh. Enjoy Istanbul!

Dubrovnik : different cruise. Except for an oil painting (8X10) of Dubrovnik old town we didnt buy anything but lunch and some yummy cups of coffee here. Saw some adorable gold filigree dangly ball earrings and didnt buy them.......still kicking myself. Very unique.

I purchased a pair of those lovely filigree dangly ball earrings in Dubrovnik last September, but silver, not gold. They indeed are a unique style, and I enjoy them very much.

I also purchased pashminas and pillow covers in Istanbul. In Kusadasi, I purchased a pair of gold "Greek-key" pattern earrings, and a gorgeous pottery plate which is a recreation of a historic pottery plate I saw at the Archaelogical Museum in Istanbul.

We bought a coffee set at the Spice Market, porcelain & copper, really nice. May have paid too much (180L), as we didn't bargain a lot, but it's okay. Also bought 6 silverplated spoons at another place (5 euro) there to go with the coffee set. And the seller was so nice, directing us to a nice restaurant there. Also bought Turkish dishes (little ones- 20L for 4), a pillow cover (12L) & 3 scarves & 3 eggcups (60L) at another place. Salesman Serka is another facebook friend. The day before bought 7 more scarves (70L) at a great place with nice quality on the main shopping area of new Istanbul.

In Dubrovnik spent 100kuna ($25) for a lovely embroidered tablecloth. Didn't go to Ismir, but bought a tablecloth in Sirince near Ephesus. Also an embroidered shirt (10 euro), carpet bag purse (11 euro), also some spices.

The coffee set we brought back in a tote bag (they gave us one to carry it, anyway). The same with fragile items and Polish pottery from pre cruise. - I had a carry on with all that stuff. Didn't want to put special stuff in the suitcases. Some things got wet in our suitcases as it started to rain in Zurich & I think they left the suitcases in the rain!

866410845_turkishcoffeeset.jpg.3c67119ed58ff3de96384a75c3e46763.jpg

In Dubrovnik, there is a candle store where you can watch candles being made. I bought a beautiful candle and got the last candle holder that day that has Dubrovnik etched in the glass. This is one of my favorite purchases from the entire cruise.

In Turkey, I also bought a couple pashminas and wish I had bought several more!

I purchased a pair of those lovely filigree dangly ball earrings in Dubrovnik last September, but silver, not gold. They indeed are a unique style, and I enjoy them very much.

I am sooooo jealous. That is one thing from the whole first trip we took to Europe that I regretted. They were so unique and I like unique things.

We bought a coffee set at the Spice Market, porcelain & copper, really nice.

Beautiful tea set !!!!!

Grand Baazar - Belly Dancer outfit (cheap one) only because the look of horror on DH's face as I bargained and threatened to wear it to dinner on the ship :D

DH purchased evil eye pendents...maybe to ward me off in my belly dancer outfit:cool:

Spice Market - thread saffron...rather expensive and hard to find in my hometown...cheap and very good in Istanbul. I went to the spice market with the express purpose of buying it. As it was from Iran, I knew I would have a very hard time getting it at home. Also purchased wonderful Turkish Delite which were were allowed to sample prior to purchase. All goods were vacuum sealed for travel. A woman in my group lived in a tiny town where the most exotic spice is pepper - well she certainly made that merchant's day - spent over $100USD!!!! Pounds and pounds of spices and turkish delite.

Spice Market is far more interesting then the Grand Baazar.

Beautiful tea set !!!!!

That wasn't the exact set, so I thought I'd better take a photo. Similar. My DH decided on this, so we could have Turkish coffee at home. The ceramic cups can be washed separately. The pot is to cook the grounds & sugar. We haven't tried it yet. There are also beautiful tea sets in the Markets. Beautiful glass decanters & cups. You could buy both, and then each of you can tote a tote on the plane.:):D

I added a photo of some tea and coffee sets as you might see in the bazaar.

teacoffeesets.jpg.873ae6c5cfedc13634e098ab362c68a2.jpg

1638550396_Turkishcoffeeset047.jpg.272c7b9ca81f4b7b1aa8af02b7c2ebb6.jpg

Oh ~ I saw lots of stuff I wanted to "tote" on the plane to buy in Istanbul........ unfortunately I am not that strong to carry a suitcase that big AND they would never let me on with that much weight :D

Actually dh was the one who kept saying "buy it - we can ship it " :eek: but many of the items I didnt think would ever make it in one piece.

OMG those are so beautiful. Thank you for the pics Penelope. I want to get a tea set. I too am nervous about having them ship one and it arriving in a million pieces. I am going to try to get a small one and take it on my carry-on.

Speaking of toting stuff on planes, I ended up buying a large ceramic charger (about 20") on my last night in Istanbul, knowing full well I'd have to hand carry it on the plane back home. They wrapped it pretty well, but a large, relatively flat round package is just awkward and bulky to carry.

I got it safely through two flights, only to have someone bash it with their suitcase while I was waiting to claim my other luggage at my home airport. I thought it was okay (not obviously broken), but when I got home a large chip (about an inch) on the edge was quite visible. :( Of course I checked with my CC company......guess what, Capital One does not offer the same guarantee that some other cards do (e.g., refund if item is lost, broken, etc).

Normally, I don't carry any big items like this -- it was so unusual that I couldn't resist. I didn't see another one like it in the 2 weeks I was in Turkey. I don't think it can be repaired as the chip didn't come off in one piece but splintered into many tiny ones. I'm still holding onto it, although I probably should just toss it. Every time I look at it, it gives me a pang!

Has anyone purchased anything from the other Bazaar that is behind the Blue Mosque? If so, were there good bargains there and what kinds of things did they have? Were there better bargains than at the Grand Bazaar?

The Arasta Bazaar is great (thanks, Pam for telling me about it!!)

I found very high quality items there. I'm sure there were some bargains, but a lot of the things were expensive and handcrafted -- not so much the cheap souvenirs. This is where I bought the large plate mentioned above (:().

I also looked in a shop with gorgeous hand-done tapestries and wall hangings from rural regions of Turkey (and other neighboring countries). They have beautiful things. I was so clearly interested that they brought me to their warehouse (just a couple of blocks away). Warning though -- the items are easily in the thousands of dollars! This company has had a feature article in an upscale decorating magazine here in the US. If anyone is interested, I'll try to look it up when I get home (can't recall the name of the company right now....)

Other items I purchased there: a necklace with a large antique circular chunk of amber set in oxidized silver and a purse made from an old kelim carpet (on my previous visit to Istanbul, I bought one of these in the Grand Bazaar, but this time around, I didn't like his selection as much as the ones in the Arasta Bazaar).

I also looked in a shop with gorgeous hand-done tapestries and wall hangings from rural regions of Turkey (and other neighboring countries). They have beautiful things. I was so clearly interested that they brought me to their warehouse (just a couple of blocks away). Warning though -- the items are easily in the thousands of dollars! This company has had a feature article in an upscale decorating magazine here in the US. If anyone is interested, I'll try to look it up when I get home (can't recall the name of the company right now....)

I found a link to an article about this dealer (Mehmet Çetinkaya Gallery):

http://www.hali-publications.net/NewsAll.aspx?Action=-617781463&ID=8320da35-ba67-46e7-869d-d9a2eff68739

And this is what their storefront in the Arasta Bazaar looks like:

http://www.arastabazaar.com/shops_list.asp?sid=151

Truly outstanding!

I found very high quality items there. I'm sure there were some bargains, but a lot of the things were expensive and handcrafted -- not so much the cheap souvenirs. This is where I bought the large plate mentioned above (:().

I also highly recommend the Arasta Bazaar. Very lovely and unusual things to be found there and not so much sales pressure. I also liked the government run craft stores by Topaki Palace, but I don't remember the name of this place. Items you know were made in Turkey and very reasonably priced.

Purchase some beautiful gold earrings, but had to have the posts replaced at home, as they were far too large. When I took them to the jewelers, before I showed them to him and while I was explaining the problem he said, "I bet you got those in Turkey, didn't you? They must pierce their ears with nails over there."

a large ceramic charger (about 20")

I don't think it can be repaired as the chip didn't come off in one piece but splintered into many tiny ones. I'm still holding onto it, although I probably should just toss it. Every time I look at it, it gives me a pang!

Don't toss it!:eek: Sounds like a beautiful item. There's always something that can be done. I don't think it will be "as good as new", but it isn't as noticeable as you think - not to others, who will admire it and hear your story. Hey, it's Istanbul! And you were there! There's some of this "Magic Putty" stuff that is advertised. Got it, but haven't used it. You can get it at hardware stores now. Fix, repair, paint it, etc. (They advertise it by showing a cup to which they made a handle.) Worth a try. Or disguise it with something else. You can also use it as an example of the frailty of life, or "no one's perfect." Endless possibilities.:D (Or give to someone else who admires it, if nothing else)

Purchase some beautiful gold earrings, but had to have the posts replaced at home, as they were far too large. When I took them to the jewelers, before I showed them to him and while I was explaining the problem he said, "I bet you got those in Turkey, didn't you? They must pierce their ears with nails over there."

:)Interesting...When I had my ears pierced about 40 years ago, they were stainless European posts, I was told - very thick. I got some gold posts almost as thick soon after in a dept. store. In order to keep the holes big, you have to wear the posts regularly. I don't know if thick posts are as common now in Europe - I've just bought wires there. Can they fix them for you? Or a friend with a nail & a rock ? - :eek: the old-fashioned way!

Oh, Cynthia, how terrible! I agree that perhaps someone could fix it a bit for you. And too think how lousy I felt about the pizza-shaped-with-one-quarter-eaten napkin holder I purchased in Sorrento for under 10 Euros!! So I cannot imagine after all your trouble and precautions taken how this must still upset you. I also carried a large hand-paintedTurkish pottery plate back separately on the plane, but no one hit it right at the finish line!

I was lucky with the napkin holder; I dropped it within 10 minutes of purchasing it (while looking at a leather pocketbook), but it was the last one they had in stock. Storeowner's ancient mother repaired it as best she could, and the small missing shards are on the inside only, so it sits proudly and productively today on my kitchen table!:)

I thought the Arasta Bazaar looked like a good shopping spot, with higher-class goods, as you state, and also with a lot less crowds (particularly tour groups) than the Grand or Spice Bazaars. Unfortunately for me, I was with the spouse, who was not yet prepared to do any shopping after his visit to the lovely Mosaic Museum, and we only got to walk through there while stopping to visit a carpet store owner there who is a friend and former business partner of a Cincinnati friend of mine who used to work (as a teacher) in Istanbul.

I also carried a large hand-paintedTurkish pottery plate back separately on the plane, but no one hit it right at the finish line!

I bought a large pottery bowl in Istanbul - stunning. The vendor wrapped it very well in bubble wrap, and I figured it would be safer in my checked luggage than hand-carried. It survived and is one of my most treasured souvenirs. In fact, it worked out so well that I checked two large ceramic platters from Deruta in my suitcase this past spring. As long as the store packs it well, it won't be jostled in your suitcase. Yeah, OK, it's a real leap of faith! :D But it worked for me.

I bought a large pottery bowl in Istanbul - stunning. The vendor wrapped it very well in bubble wrap, and I figured it would be safer in my checked luggage than hand-carried. It survived and is one of my most treasured souvenirs. In fact, it worked out so well that I checked two large ceramic platters from Deruta in my suitcase this past spring. As long as the store packs it well, it won't be jostled in your suitcase. Yeah, OK, it's a real leap of faith! :D But it worked for me.

The inventor of bubble wrap deserves the eternal praise of all shopping tourists!:)

"Loud gasp" = that is terrible........ to get it almost home.......

I was holding my breath all the way home from our first trip to Europe where we purchased a tile set of an Amalfi coast scene for BIL/SIL. Store owner quoted 80 euros to ship it (it was heavy !) so I said I would get it home myself.....hoo boy.

He did wrap each tile (12 of them) individually in bubble wrap (wonderful invention to be sure). I ended up buying a hard body carryon suitcase (with wheels) in Florence and packed it in there along with other items (except liquids which I could not take on plane). It weighed a ton !!!!! but luckily no one weighed it at check in in Barcelona. I was very careful with it and everything made it just fine......

hopefully someone can repair......do you have a ceramics shop near you ? One where the make them not just sell them. I would take it there and see what they can do...... good luck.

Archived