Travel Health Insurance

Cqis

I always have purchased trip insurance. The medical is important in its own right, but the medical evacuation is even more important, IMO. If you become sick or injured and have to be airlifted to appropriate facilities you're looking at $25k and up. I don't have that sort of change laying around.

I called Tri Care , the insurance coverage for Military retirees and their spouses, today and discovered that no matter where we are in the world, we are covered. That includes medical evacuation form ship, shore etc.They will pay 80% if it is a medical emergency and 100% if it is a life or death situation.

So that is a relief for us. And it makes an important change to where we can go. Thank Goodness!!

Just an FYI for those Military retirees.

Joanie

I always buy travel insurance -- never from the cruise line, though. Generally their coverage is more expensive and less comprehensive than what I can get from a third party. We generally use TravelGuard or Travelex. Fortunately I've never had to make a claim, but it is certainly a peace of mind.

Indeed you should check as one of the other posters did, to see just what coverage you might already have. Most regular medical plans don't cover health issues outside of the US, and don't cover things like evacuation from the ship -- a major cost you have to consider. And Medicare doesn't cover this either.

Have you purchased travel health insurance?

I don't know if I should.

What is your take on this issue.

Cely

I do because we need the medical evacuation which is not covered under our regular insurance. It could cost $50,000 or more if we needed to be medically evacuated from Europe or even more remote places. We also want to protect the value of our vacation. Some policies will cover those not traveling with you. Can you afford these costs? Can you afford to fly home if an immediate family member becomes ill? What if you need to cancel for a funeral?

Btw, I think HAL's policy is pretty good but it has to be purchased at deposit. You can cancel 24 hours prior to your cruise for any reason (do not have to give one) and get back 90% of your cruise cost on your credit card. No other policy offers that. It does not cover airfare not purchased through the cruiseline, BUT if you purchase air through the cruise line you get back 90% of that air as well if you cancel the day before because your dog is sick.

We always buy travel insurance - usually Travel Guard rather than through HAL. Keep in mind, Medicare is of no use outside the U.S.

We have also had reason to collect on our travel insurance and it was a life saver and there was no hassle or red tape to go through.

Yes, we get travel insurance on all our vacations anymore - we have done several land vacations and didn't have it and wished we did. One trip to Disney World several years ago (went even though I was very ill and landed up hospitalized within three weeks of coming home - didn't cancel because we would lose all the money paid) and this summer we planned on traveling within state seeing the sights and a week before we were to leave my husbands mother fell and fractured her pelvis in two places which meant we had to cancel our plans so the in-laws could move in for two months while she recovered and I could take care of my father in-laws who is handicapped - also the day we were to leave our son came down with a major throat infection and was sick for a week so we would have had to come home anyways. We lucked out this summer and were able to get all our deposits back because every place felt sorry for my mother in-law (THANK GOODNESS or we would have been out a lot of money). One just never knows when you or a family member will become ill.

Keep in mind several companies like TravelGuard offer pre-existing medical coverage if you purchase the insurance within 14 days of putting a deposit down. Also, they have a plan available that children under 18 are free on your policy (helps a lot we only have to pay for hubby and self and we don't have to pay for the same coverage for the kids).

We don't buy separate policies when we travel. We have annual ones - one (Medjet Assist) for evacuation and repatriation, and another (Amex Assurance) for up to $100,000 medical. We were also surprised to find that our Blue Cross Blue Shield will cover us outside of the US - so like others have said, be sure to check what you already have.

GmaPajama,

Just curious why you have the AMEX and Medjet Assist. The way I read the annual AMEX travel medical, it also pays for evacuation/repatriation. Perhaps I'm missing something, or perhaps we're looking at two different AMEX annual travel medical plans.

GmaPajama,

Just curious why you have the AMEX and Medjet Assist. The way I read the annual AMEX travel medical, it also pays for evacuation/repatriation. Perhaps I'm missing something, or perhaps we're looking at two different AMEX annual travel medical plans.

It was the $100,000 benefit limit on Amex Assurance that prompted us to add Medjet Assist. Evacuation and repatriation can be SO costly - we wanted something left over for actual medical expenses. Between Amex and BCBS, we figure we're pretty well covered.

We just get the HAL highest coverage. It may cost a little more but it is so easy to do. After being injured once onboard and not having bought insurance we learned our lesson. We purchase it for every cruise for the fullest available coverage.

BTW although I was told medicare didn't cover out of country expenses when I had to apply for a denial letter in order to get the insurance payoff they paid the bill! Shocked the you know what out of me. I sent this nice long letter about how I knew they didn't cover it but the other insurance required a denial letter. They replied with a check for 80% and the additional insurance covered the balance.

GmaPajama,

We have AmEx Platinum and it includes medical evacuation coverage, however, they and the treating physician make the choice as to where we would be evacuated. We have MedJet Assist as they will make every attempt to bring you to the hospital of your choice wherever it may be in the world. If it is medically safe and logistically possible, you are taken where you want. Very few insurance companies provide that.

We always buy the HAL Platinum insurance as it covers pre-existing conditions and illness or death to the cruiser and any non-cruising family member. We had to use this just last year as my mother passed while we were cruising. Had just left Iceland and it was 3 days before we could depart the ship in New Brunswick. Our cruise was shortened by 5 days. The return flights and the lost days were compensated at 100%. The only thing not compensated was rental car to get from nearest airport to mothers home.

HAL personnell were wonderful for this emergency.

It i one of those things you do not need until you need it.

We purchase it every trip and have never used it...

If you can afford a $20,000 air evacuation bill you probably do not need it. If you have to be air evacuated from the Caribbean back to the states plan on spending that much money

Ruth & Jim

Thanks all.

We purchased Cancel Plan. I need to call my HAL TA to verify what I purchased. If it is not the health part I wonder if it is to late to upgrade,since we did purchase a plan.

This was one thing I did not really pay attention to in the past. Maybe all of this comes on with AGE.

I will be checking for any other comments. Please send them.

Cely

We use Access America....a division of AMEX. I had to be medically evacuated off the ship, and Access America came through for us in every way, with no problems or questions...even down to the liquor we had purchased in one of the ports, and was being held for us untill disembarkation...........Carol

I recommend Travelex and Medjet Assist. Especially the Medjet if you are injured or sick enough to need to be evacuated home or to a local (to your home) hospital. DO NOT EVEN THINK that your personal health policy will cover you outside of your home country...that's almost unheard of. And if you do need evac and you aren't covered, you're stuck with a bill you won't believe. Thousands of dollars.

Hi Guys,

I called HAL; I did purchased the platinum coverage. My insurance co. also pays. You pay and send them the receipts. I am glad I purchased a policy. I could not pay and wait fot reimbursement.

Thank you all for your help.

Cely

Archived