How did you first find HAL?

momatibm

Several good friends decided our family needed a vacation after a very difficult time in our lives so they graciously paid for half of our cruise for the four of us on board the Noordam III to the Caribbean in 1995. We were hooked and have since been on five cruises with HAL. Once dh retires, we hope to cruise a lot more!

Great stories here! My cousin and his wife have sailed on HAL eight times, and we heard lots of good reports from them. One of my best friends and her hubby have sailed on HAL four times, and they had great recommendations, too. How could we not choose HAL for our first cruise? And now we are hooked and going on HAL again (Zuiderdam both trips).

We consulted a Travel Agent when planning our first cruise. They sat and talked with us for almost an hour, discussing our likes, dislikes, etc.

She then reccomended either HAL or Celebrity and HAL had the nicer itinerary for the week we wanted to go.

After hearing other's experiences on other line I think she was right, we LOVE HAL, we might like Celebrity, but we have not found a reason to try them yet.

After a cruise on a mass market line on a wonderful itinerary, I was dissatisfied with the onboard portion of the cruise and asked on it's CC board why there wasn't a cruise line that cost 25% more and provided a 25% better cruise experience than the mass market lines. (At that time, I was only aware of mass market and luxury lines.) Someone suggested HAL and I found that it provided a 35% better cruise experience and cost only 15% more.

Whoever suggested HAL completely changed my attitude about cruising . We used to cruise about every nine months. At the beginning of November, we'll have cruised four times in the last eleven months (55 sea days.) I no longer even read advertisements from other cruise lines.

Although many co-workers had gone on cruises, I swore I was never going to cruise unless we went with a group. When I retired in 2004, my boss retired with me. She had cruised Disney, Princess, HAL and another cruise line that is no longer in existence. She persuaded us to go on an Alaskan cruise on the Volendam. She loved the Holland America cruise ships, food and service. We were part of a party of 12. I was hooked after that cruise. We cruised as a group until 2007. I spotted a fantastic deal for a 24 day Norway and Baltic cruise. The Baltic was suppose to be the next cruise for the group. As it turned out, we were the only ones that went. It was one of my most favorite cruises. We have basically started cruising on our own now since we love it even more than the people we originally sailed with.

My story of finding HAL is really a story of finding a jewel of a TA.

I was a career U.S. Navy man, and DW had sometimes mentioned that whe would like to try cruising, and I would reply that I had enough of that on the job, and it sounded like a mail carrier taking a hiking vacation. But, she pointed out that I wouldn't have to stand watch, wouldn't have to help load stores, etc., so we booked a three-day NCL cruise to test the concept.

Well, we found cruising was indeed a pleasant experience, so we later decided to take a seven-day cruise, and asked our TA to help us choose one that went to the Mayan ruins. She took the time to talk with us about why we liked the 3-day on NCL, what we especially enjoyed, and what we didn't enjoy so much. After listening to us, she said she thought we would like HAL, and booked us on Noordam III to the Western Caribbean.

We had high expectations, based on our experience with NCL, but were absolutely floored with the HAL experience -- that beautiful elegant ship and her wonderful crew that provided a service level that could only be described as "pampering" convinced us. We have sailed since on Costa and QM2 because of the itineraries, but will probably stay with HAL if they are going where we want to go.

Dave

I found cruising in 1963, loved shipboard life although that was before the days of much recreational cruising, it was more commonly used for transportation. Mine was Trans-Pacific. Although I went on the ship alone, it was my mother's suggestion that I come back to the US that way. (THANKS MOM!)

Fifteen years later (plus or minus) it was the Love Boat to Alaska. They our TA suggested we might enjoy HAL and the majority of our cruises have been on HAL since then, although we have done several on Princess and on some no longer around lines.

My Dad had a good week in the stock market, lol, decided to surprise my Mom, my brother and myself with a cruise on Noordam III in 1984.

I fell in love with it and vowed to return. It took a few years, but I finally talked DH into it, and he was hooked.

We've tried to cruise 2-3 times a year ever since. :)

I always wanted to go on a cruise and then in February 2007 we got a good deal on an RSVP charter of the Caribbean Princess. We had such a good time that we booked again for the next year's charter on the Zuiderdam soon after we got home. We also planned a vacation to Vancouver and Seatle after Labor Day in 2007 and there just happened to be an RSVP Alaska charter on the Amsterdam... so we got onboard. We have since been on the Eurodam and are booked again for next February on the Eurodam.

Our experiences on HAL has only been on charters and the service on HAL has been great. I am sure it would be quite different on a regular cruise since our charters have no kids and many passengers under 50. :D But I am sure it will still be very enjoyable.

We found HAL one year as my wife wanted to do a Christmas cruise but did not want to fly, so the only local ship was the Maasdam leaving from Norfolk for the last time. We sailed to Ft Lauderdale, and then picked up more passengers for a 11 day cruise. Too bad we found the Maasdam so late, we would have loved to sail on her out of Norfolk many times! Now all we do is HAL...

We came to HAL because of the research we did on Cruise Critic. Our first cruise wasn't till early 2004, on RCCL - we found CC then but thought it was just for roll call signups. We didn't cruise for 2 years then, as it was not something I thought I'd enjoy again. When DH wouldn't stop talking about it I decided to spend some time looking for a cruise line that might be a better fit for us. I can't remember exactly why I wandered over to the HAL board ... but sure liked what I was reading. We tried the Westerdam in 2006 and were totally hooked. We only cruise HAL now - twice a year for sure, and sometimes three. We couldn't be more satisfied.

Thank you, Cruise Critic!

We had HAL found for us. We decided to go on an Alaska cruise 3 years ago with a group of Christian Singers. They booked the ship and made the plans - and we went and are hooked. We took a NCL Hawaii cruise on our own last year - and there is NO comparison. In December we will be back with our singers and a longer cruise. We are so excited. :D

Hi Cologal,

That is why I booked my first cruise with HAL coming up in January because we are going with a group of Christian singers. I hope we love it as much as you did.

I was talking to my travel agent about my next cruise (in 2004). I wanted to try another cruiseline that offered a reasonable rate for solo cruisers.

My travel agent suggested Holland America. I was booked on the Oosterdam. The rest was history and I've consider Holland America as my primary cruiseline!

----------------

Now playing: Dave Koz - Honey-Dipped

via FoxyTunes

A friend referred us to a travel agent who specializes in cruising, she asked several questions about the type of cruise experience we were looking for from our Alaska cruise, she said HAL is definitely the cruise line that matches up with us.

We told her we did not want to be on a “Party Barge”, we liked the idea of traditional dining, wanted to be the youngest onboard, and a beautiful ship who’s itinerary would give us wonderful memories.

Our TA choose well for us.

We sailed on the Oosterdam and it was a magical experience, everything one would hope for.

Sailed from Seattle to Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Sitka, Ketchikan, and Victoria

Saw caving glaciers, gardens, only one day of rain, met wonderful folks at dinner, enjoyed the shows & the aurora one night.

We have been hooked ever since.

In 1970 Hellenic cruises offered 7 day cruises to the Greek Islands for 50% off to Airline employees.. A Friend persuaded me to go with her before I was married, & I loved it....

In 83, tried to get good Friends & DH to take a cruise..They could not understand why I wanted to go on a cruise, when we could all fly anywhere for free...Just to shut me up, they finally agreed to try a cruise..My Friend was Norwegian & we booked a NCL cruise..Now they were hooked too..:D

We actually never cruised again until after we both took early retirement in 88 & moved to Florida..DH got a new job & I was supposed to look for a job..;) Somehow I was having too much fun & never got one...

in 96 Our Sailing club booked a NCL cruise & in 98 a HAL cruise..DH took leave from his job & we went on both.. What a wonderful time we all had on both cruises.. We along with other Sailing Friends, decided that HAL was the perfect fit for us..

The rest is history..We'll be on our tenth HAL cruise in Nov. with those Dear Friends...Yes, must admit we've cruised on several other lines since, but always seem to come back to HAL..

Only 1 month 18 days 14 hrs & 41 min till "D" day, but who's counting..;)

Betty

In 2003, DH heard that there was a dental company(can't remember the name) that was suppying dentists to Holland America ships. He applied to the program and was accepted ,and we sailed on the Veendam. When Holland America stopped employing that company, DH went to work directly for Holland America for a year. Then HAL stopped the dental program and by then we were hooked.

HAL wasn't really known in Australia in the 80's and 90's but my sister was in Travel and she went with her DH to the Baltic in the early 90's on the Maasdam and came back singing her praises.

My DH and I decided that we would like to do that same cruise she had done a few years earlier, so in 1999, we too went on the lovely Maasdam. It was a fabulous cruise and since then we have been cruising regularly not only on HAL but with other cruise lines as well. We always choose the itinerary first and then look at the ship.

Jennie

We were in Seattle staying at the Inn at the Market. Having wine and cheese on the rooftop deck watching the ships come and go. We loved that HAL ships looked like a real ship. Not a huge rectangular floating hotel. A couple there overheard us and were rabid HAL cruisers. They spoke so highly of it that we could not help to book an Alaska cruise. We loved it. We have only done 2 HAL cruises so far...but plan lots more.

In 1970 my sister and her husband were in Germany where he was studying organ. I spent the summer with them and then returned to the US on the Nieuw Amsterdam. I was 21 and had a wonderful time. Thirty four years later, HAL was my first choice and has been ever since.

We were searching cruises to Alaska. Happened upon HAL, the dates worked out great. Than we asked a few people we knew who had done cruises before and HAL received rave reviews. The customer service people we talked to on the phone were very helpful with all our questions as we had never cruised before. That sealed the deal for us, we discussed, called back about 15 minutes later and booked it. We will definetly sail HAL for our next cruise.

Last year hubby and I wanted to take a cruise for our 25th wedding anniversary. We saw a cruise that we wanted on an online TA 90 day ticker special. So we booked the Maasdam and now we are on that ship again in Dec. We really like the itineraries of HAL...not to mention the prices for what your getting are good value in todays market.:D

Archived