What do people really wear in the evenings on HAL?

GRHinPorts

I am looking to get some advice from HAL regulars about what people really wear in the evenings to the main restaurant

In December we will be taking our first HAL cruise to South America. We are flying to Rio to pick up the Veendam. Normally we sail out of Southampton just down the road from us in the UK and as a result we can take as much clothes as we like. We also have done all of our cruises on Cunard which is very formal in the evenings (on a recent 16 night Med cruise there were 5 black-tie/tuxedo nights, 5 nights with shirt/jacket & tie and 6 so called casual nights where a jacket is still required).

Now all of this dressing up can be fun but it does become trickier if you have luggage restrictions. It won't bother me if HAL is similarly formal to Cunard because I am sure I can work my luggage space cleverly enough. It also won't bother me if the average dress on HAL is more informal - variety is the spice of life, I am quite happy to take HAL for what it is and basically my luggage allowance will be that much easier.

The thing I am most worried about, and what would be annoying, is that I might end up taking a whole suitcase worths of formal wear and then find that everyone else is "dressing down".

I also appreciate that what one person calls formal, another person calls casual so I am really looking for specifics.

How many formal nights will there be on a 16 night HAL cruise? Will everyone be wearing black-tie tuxedo on these formal nights?

On non-formal nights what do people actually wear? Do they bother with jackets? Do they wear ties?

Thanks for any replies in advance :)

I have not been on a 16-night cruise yet, but our Circle Hawaii is coming up in November, a 15-night, and I have read on cruise critic to expect 3 formal nights on our cruise.

Read below for HAL's answer to Clothing & Dress Code.

Have a great cruise!

Laura

-----------------------------------------

From HAL's website:

Clothing & Dress Code

Clothing & Dress Code The right clothing can make a big difference in the enjoyment of your cruise. First and foremost, dress for comfort. Daily life aboard ship and in ports of call is relaxed and casual. Warmer climates call for clothing made of lightweight, breathable fabrics. For cooler climates, we suggest casual clothes that can be layered easily and possibly a raincoat and waterproof hat or umbrella and gloves. Certain shore excursions may require particular attention to clothing. For example, certain churches or other places of worship may not allow tank tops or short pants. Bring a swimsuit as all of our ships have pools and whirlpools. You may wish to bring more than one outfit for the water. We ask that you wear shoes and a cover-up over a bathing suit when walking through the interior of the ship. If you would like to jog on the sports deck or work out in the fitness center, bring workout gear. Footwear should include comfortable walking shoes for visits ashore and sandals or rubber-soled shoes for strolling on deck.

Evening dress falls into two distinct categories: Formal or Smart Casual. Smart Casual can be defined as slacks and collared shirts for men and casual dresses, slacks and informal evening wear for women. T-shirts, swimsuits, tank tops and shorts are not allowed in the restaurants or public areas during the evening hours. On festive Formal evenings, ladies usually wear a suit, cocktail dress or gown and gentlemen wear a jacket and tie, dark suit or tuxedo. There are approximately two formal nights per week.

In order to complement your fellow guests, Holland America Line asks that you observe the suggested dress code throughout the entire evening.

Formalwear for ladies and gentlemen can be pre-ordered for your use during your cruise by calling Cruiseline Formalwear at 800-551-5091 or make your reservations online. Your formalwear will be in your stateroom when you board.

I am looking to get some advice from HAL regulars about what people really wear in the evenings to the main restaurant

In December we will be taking our first HAL cruise to South America. We are flying to Rio to pick up the Veendam. Normally we sail out of Southampton just down the road from us in the UK and as a result we can take as much clothes as we like. We also have done all of our cruises on Cunard which is very formal in the evenings (on a recent 16 night Med cruise there were 5 black-tie/tuxedo nights, 5 nights with shirt/jacket & tie and 6 so called casual nights where a jacket is still required).

Now all of this dressing up can be fun but it does become trickier if you have luggage restrictions. It won't bother me if HAL is similarly formal to Cunard because I am sure I can work my luggage space cleverly enough. It also won't bother me if the average dress on HAL is more informal - variety is the spice of life, I am quite happy to take HAL for what it is and basically my luggage allowance will be that much easier.

The thing I am most worried about, and what would be annoying, is that I might end up taking a whole suitcase worths of formal wear and then find that everyone else is "dressing down".

I also appreciate that what one person calls formal, another person calls casual so I am really looking for specifics.

How many formal nights will there be on a 16 night HAL cruise? Will everyone be wearing black-tie tuxedo on these formal nights?

On non-formal nights what do people actually wear? Do they bother with jackets? Do they wear ties?

Thanks for any replies in advance :)

In our experience cruising on Hal non-formal night wear is smart casual, that is, nice casual pants and a golf shirt or sport shirt for men, skirts or nice slacks for women. No jacket or tie necessary. Just don't wear jeans or shorts to the main dining room. We are on a 19 day to Hawaii next week and we have 5 formal nights. Even these allow for a sports jacket and tie or a suit for men. Some fellows wear a tux and some ladies wear a long gown but for the most part it is more cocktail dress or pant suit for ladies. I have worn a long skirt and dressy top and been perfectly comfortable in the MDR.:)

On our last 15 day cruise on the MS Maasdam there was probably only one woman wearing whatwe could say was a true formal evening gown. Not to say folks were not dressed up but it was more sparkling tops and combinations. About 25% of the men were dressed in tuxedos and the rest had suits or coats and ties.

You dress like you would when you visiting friends, except no levi's. Nice neat pair of pants and a sport shirt or sweater. It really isn't that hard to do. The only nights they are calling for different is the formal nights and for the men that is a suit, no big deal, we all have one of them. If don't want to do that, you can eat in the lido dining room which is pretty nice too.

HAL tends to be less formal than Cunard.. However On the longer cruises HAL Passengers seem to dress more..

On a 16 night cruise around South America, you can expect to have 4 formal nights..

DH takes his TUX with several different accessories plus a Sport Jacket on our cruises..

On Formal nights DH wears a TUX but not everyone does... Many men are dressed in Suits & some might even have just a sport Jacket & tie..

On Smart casual nights DH will wear a collared shirt & occasionally will wear a sport jacket or cardigan sweater only because the public rooms can be cold..Dressy jeans are permitted on smart casual nights..A Jacket is not required on Smart casual nights & most men don't wear one..

When we dine in the Pinnacle Grill on Smart casual nights, DH usually will wear his sport jacket, but again it's not required & many men will not be in a jacket..

On Formal nights I wear a long chiffon skirt or chiffon palazzo pants with various dressy tops..For our Nov. cruise, we will have 8 Formal nights.. I'm taking 4 Formal outfits & plan to wear each twice..On Smart casual nights I might wear a pantsuit, slacks, perhaps a long dress or skirt with a colorful smart casual jacket or over blouse over a sleeveless shell..I also tend to be cold in the public rooms

Some of my outfits might seem to be dressier than most, only because living in Florida we rarely get to dress up & we enjoy dressing up on our cruises..

Some ladies on Smart casual nights might wear pretty crop pants or even dressy jeans with a matching top..Also on Formal nights you might find Ladies in very fancy gowns..

Hope this helps..

:):):)Betty

There is nothing in the dress code that says you cannot wear jeans to the MDR on casual nights. :)

You are correct..And many people do wear jeans..We have over 130 days on HAL, & have seen many people wearing nice dress jeans in the Main Dining room, even on the Prinsendam!..

Also accorrding to HAL's dress code a TUX or Suit is not required on Formal nights..

Those who say otherwise should read HAL's Dress code, which was posted above by Iris..

Betty

There will be a minimum of four formal nights on your cruise and probably five.

My DH always wears a tuxedo or white dinner jacket and tuxedo pants, cummerbund and formal tie. At the least, I wear black cocktail dress and sometimes black chiffon skirt w/ sparkly/dressy top, silk strappy sandals and formal evening purse. I've gotten away from wearing many long gowns like I used to wear. I have a few 'tea length' dresses I sometimes wear but not many long ones anymore.

I would continue to wear the long gowns if more ladies did but fewer seem to really dress formal.

For casual nights, I wear either dress slacks or a skirt with nice tops. DH wears dress trousers, nice shirt or polo jersey. If we are going to Pinnacle on casual night, he wears a blazer or jacket.

I'm considering a Canada/NE cruise on the Maasdam next year, and this has been a concern of mine, too. I loathe dressing up, because I feel like I'm putting on airs. If I end up taking the cruise, here's how I'll do it: I'll wear my jeans in the dining room for every casual night (as I may do in accordance with HAL's rules). For formal nights, I'll either dress nicely (white and/or black is formal enough in almost every situation, so far as female dress is concerned) or more likely, will take myself and my jeans to the Lido to eat there. I'll spend the evening hanging out in the Lido bars and take a turn or two around the Promenade deck if the weather's fine. I don't mind missing two evening shows so as not to offend some of my fellow passengers' delicate sensibilities. No doubt the "jeans are a-okay most nights" memo hasn't filtered to some, but those who matter (ship staff, maitre'd, etc.) know better. There's no need to make this hard--it's quite easy, actually!

Hi, I come from Portsmouth UK too, I shall be on my 17th cruise with Hal next month, I wear long floaty type skirts plus sparkly or lace type tops for formal nights, I add gold or silver jewelry and take several evening wraps - as the dining room and theatres are usually quite cool, for casual nights i wear, silky type trousers and a variety of nice tops or blouses. I have several heavy beaded jackets etc, but i wont be taking them anymore, they are just too heavy and use up so much of the precious weight allowance , as for evening dresses, i do not have the figure for a dress and always wear seperates. I am only taking sandals for the evenings- because of the weight issue. I am flying to Rome and cruising to F/L, not sure of the weather - so i will be taking some cardigans etc lots of layers for the daytime at sea. If there is any other questions, please feel free to ask and i will do my best to answer, take care, audrey.:)

We are only flying from California to Ft Lauderdale next month, but the luggage restrictions are a concern for us also.

Here is the rule of thumb we use regarding evening dress:

I wear clothes that make me feel pretty and happy. DH wears clothes that imho make him the most handsome man on the ship.

On formal nights I wear a formal gown, and DH wears a tux. Our next cruise has 6 formal nights. In the past the most we've had were four, and I took 4 gowns. This year I will be repeating my dresses (hopefully I can take 3. If not at least 2), and changing jewelry / shoes / accessories.

I don't think I'll be the only one in this situation.

I'm considering a Canada/NE cruise on the Maasdam next year, ll wear my jeans in the dining room for every casual night (as I may do in accordance with HAL's rules). For formal nights, I'll either dress nicely (white and/or black is formal enough in almost every situation, so far as female dress is concerned) or more likely, will take myself and my jeans to the Lido to eat there.

I notice that you are saying casual nights, well there is no 'casual' nights in the lovely HAL dining rooms. It is 'smart casual' and jeans are just that 'casual', they are not defined as smart casual. I have not seen many jeans worn in the dining room at night, only during the day. HAL = A lovely dining room with white tablecloths, fancy service, nice fresh flowers, uniformed m d's, doesn't that deserve smart casual outfits !

I notice that you are saying casual nights, well there is no 'casual' nights in the lovely HAL dining rooms. It is 'smart casual' and jeans are just that 'casual', they are not defined as smart casual. I have not seen many jeans worn in the dining room at night, only during the day. HAL = A lovely dining room with white tablecloths, fancy service, nice fresh flowers, uniformed m d's, doesn't that deserve smart casual outfits !

I respect your opinion but you must agree it is only your opinion...

I don't wear jeans in the MDR, only because I'm too old to have them look good on me!;) However I've seen many beautiful women & men in designer dress jeans both on HAL & in some of Florida's most exclusive private clubs.. These people are beautifully dressed & well respected..

In addition, HAL's dress code no longer mentions jeans & according to several Fashionatta's (sp?) "Smart Casual" now includes Designer Jeans...

Perhaps you might enjoy reading several sights, which go into great detail about dress codes in the United States & Canada..

One of which (Internet's dress code guide) states:

Bottom

Designer Pants Dockers Or similar.Pants Chinos Fashion Jeans Not suitable for all occasions. If in doubt avoid.

Always wear very smart or fashionable ones, if at all, and always in good condition.

http://www.dresscodeguide.com/default.asp?Dresscode=2&Local=2&Climate=2&TimeOfDay=3&Gender=1&Reload=1&MoreCodes=&AutoRun=1

Betty

We dress "in the middle" I suppose.

I bring one or two simple sleevless long dresses that one would not consider gowns, and wear a sparkly overblouse; on other formal and even less-than-formal evenings I will wear the "slinky fabric" pants that travel so easily or a regular length skirt with a colorful shell and overblouse; I have one very sequine top to mix in as needed; on port days I may wear khakis or dressy (beaded) cropped pants and a pretty top. Usually I wear sandles, either black or bronze.

My husband wears a dark suit on formal nights; slacks and collared shirt, no tie, on other nights.

We have worn jeans to the MDR, only on the Alaskan cruises. Usually I don't bring jeans on a cruise but we live in snow country and have left here in "heavy weather" in some December departures; I try to get by with just my khakis. You may see jeans and other rather casual attire at the early seating on port days when folks have hurried in from their shore day.

I think HAL has a pretty broad tolerance for wanting their guests to be comfortable; it may seem perhaps more tolerance than some folks on the "boards" but we all have our preferences and opine freely.

Please do read the dress code carefully so that you will be best informed, and then adjust your lugggage to what you want your wardrobe to be for your desired comfort level.

It sounds like a fabulous cruise and I hope you enjoy it thoroughly.

CF: my original statement that the "jeans are a-okay on non-formal nights" memo haven't filtered down to some:rolleyes:.

Originally Posted by tomc:

I wear a coat and tie every evening after six. Someone has to keep up the traditions.

Wisecrack post by lorekauf:

What about pants?

Snappy retort by tomc:

It calls their attention away from my wrinkled, stained shirt.

Originally Posted by tomc:

I wear a coat and tie every evening after six. Someone has to keep up the traditions.

Wisecrack post by lorekauf:

What about pants?

Snappy retort by tomc:

It calls their attention away from my wrinkled, stained shirt.

So ... it would seem that you also wear a shirt with your coat and tie?

I'm considering a Canada/NE cruise on the Maasdam next year, and this has been a concern of mine, too. I loathe dressing up, because I feel like I'm putting on airs.

But don't you feel like a slob when dressing down? :D

I just don't understand this whole formal=snobby concept.

I'm considering a Canada/NE cruise on the Maasdam next year, and this has been a concern of mine, too. I loathe dressing up, because I feel like I'm putting on airs. If I end up taking the cruise, here's how I'll do it: I'll wear my jeans in the dining room for every casual night (as I may do in accordance with HAL's rules). For formal nights, I'll either dress nicely (white and/or black is formal enough in almost every situation, so far as female dress is concerned) or more likely, will take myself and my jeans to the Lido to eat there. I'll spend the evening hanging out in the Lido bars and take a turn or two around the Promenade deck if the weather's fine. I don't mind missing two evening shows so as not to offend some of my fellow passengers' delicate sensibilities. No doubt the "jeans are a-okay most nights" memo hasn't filtered to some, but those who matter (ship staff, maitre'd, etc.) know better. There's no need to make this hard--it's quite easy, actually!

Just a small 'heads up' so you won't be surprised.

The only bar you'll find on Maasdam's Lido Deck is at the pool....under the retractable glass dome ceiling. :) I don't think we've ever been there in the evening though I'm sure some have a drink before or after their Lido dinner at that bar. :)

Archived