How do you book your cruise?

ilovetinks

I think I may have posted an invalid post with my last post, so I'll try asking this way....do you normally use a TA to book? I am looking at a few websites that offer a cheaper price than what my TA quoted but I've never booked cruises without a TA....have you had any experience with booking cruises without a TA or not through the cruiseline directly, but just by going into the discount websites? Bad/good experiences anyone? Thanks!

After having a near disaster by booking with an online agency a couple years ago, I always book direct now.

One of the "largest cruise agencies" in the U.S. closed it's doors - taking millions of dollars of cruisers money with them.....and leaving thousands with no money and no cruise.

No thanks.....I was lucky that time. I'll not risk it again. I'll pay a little extra and know my money and my credit card are safe and my cruise is actually paid for.

I think I may have posted an invalid post with my last post, so I'll try asking this way....do you normally use a TA to book? I am looking at a few websites that offer a cheaper price than what my TA quoted but I've never booked cruises without a TA....have you had any experience with booking cruises without a TA or not through the cruiseline directly, but just by going into the discount websites? Bad/good experiences anyone? Thanks!

On-site websites are travel agencies...just travel agencies that are web-based!

I've booked directly with a cruise line, and also through a TA. While I do shop on line, I don't think I'd be comfortable booking something as expensive as a cruise unless I thoroughly examined the site, and documented everything promised..and delivered. There have been enough reports here of web-based travel sites that have taken customers money and folded up that I'm wary of all of them. Without being able to name them here, I'll do lots and lots of searching before I'd consider any of them.

My first cruise I used a travel agent (being a newbie). The next 10 I used an on line travel agency because the ta could not match their price. I always receive conformation via email with booking number immediately.

I have always used that booking number on the cruise lines web site, for filling out on line documents, scanning shore excursions ect. Never a problem.

I would stick to the online travel agencies that advertise here on cruise critic.

Of our 4 cruises so far

Disney: Direct book thru web due to a great sale. Our first cruise so didn't do so much research, after booking did some limited checking the brick and mortar guys weren't better.

The other 3 were done thru our membership high volume travel agency. We buy everything from toilet paper to TVs from them. We never found anyone beating them brick and mortar or the discount online agencies. We booked our last cruise a good 6 months ahead they beat every other price we checked by $$ to $$$ and got a two class upgrade by sail time. Couldn't have been happier with this company as they also offered a no question returns on everything but electronics... so far no complaints with any vacation booked thru their TA arm :D

If you use a TA I would just make sure your credit card statement shows the cruise line and your reservation appears on the cruiseline's website in your account; mine always did. I used to book direct with the cruise line, then learned that whse club TA gave much better deals! And we have not had any problems at all booking with them. All TAs are not equal though. I found most online ones have the same price as the cruise line. Though I hear sometimes you can call them and ask if they can do better than the quoted price (if it's the same as cruiseline).

We use a local TA who provides us excellent service. She keeps track of pricing for us and is always there to help with any issues. She even tells us when we should do things ourselves to save, such as airline tickets.

As we booked this cruise way before Southwest had fares available, and basically out of Philly good fares are not available until Southwest fares are out and the other airlines react, she told us to "wait" on booking airfare until SW released the dates. Within 10 minutes of SW posting the dates on their site, she was on the phone to us telling us to "book now..the prices are great and won't get better". As a result we got $140.00 Round trip flights PHL to FLL.

You will not get that kind of service from an online agency or the cruise lines.

we use an online agency-one that advertises here-but we know their rep-we have, over the years booked about 10 cruises with them. We have tried other agencies, and even local TA's but we have found they treat us the best.

One thing though, in this unstable economy, I would not book anything with any agency that is nearly a year ahead. Too Many businesses are going under. If I must book that far away (and we have) I book directly through the cruise line.

For years I do the following.

First I find the cruise on line, and the best price. Then I go to my friendly T.A., and ask her to beat the price. She seldom fails, AND if any problems crop up, they are always delt with.

The Company? I can't say on line, but it is strong in the U.S., and Canada. Lets just say that a great many cars have a little sticker on them stating that the driver is a member of this organization.

john

I'm an agent for a sizeable online agency (we don't advertise on CC, nor will you ever find me posting any mention of which one). On behalf of all "of us" I'd just like to thank those that do business with TA's (online or in person) and do hope the service you receive is as much a part of the reason you work with your TA as the price/amenities they may be able to get for you is.

I check a number of online TA's to find the lowest price. I then call my local TA and she has always matched the lowest price.

We have a similar TA story. If WE do the leg work and find a cruise on line, and all our TA has to do is book it for us, our TA halves the commission with us. Then we get that much more back. It usually is enough to cover the gratuities. Our TA has ALWAYS matched the lowest price we've found and then we get 1/2 the commission beyond that. So you should ask if your TA will do the same. The most they can say is no. Why not ask? Not sure why they'd say no. If they do, then you book online and they get nothing! But, if we need our TA to do more than just book it for us, then our TA gets her full commission and we still get the lowest price we found online.

Like others, I've tried it all!

I used to book with an on-line agency that was tied to a cruise-points credit card. The points accumulated quickly and could be used toward any cruise with any cruise line. It was a great deal while it lasted, but they soon realized that their point system was really too generous. I saved a TON of money with them until the credit card was discontinued.

I replaced that credit card with a Royal Caribbean points card, even though I'd only ever sailed with Carnival to that point. The Sea Miles card had a very high interest rate and I found the redemption system difficult to understand. Royal Caribbean's card was the most similar to the one I had been using.

So, the next cruise I took was on Royal Caribbean. Loved it and have stuck with them. I would cruise with Carnival again, but they tend to be more expensive for me now, since I can only use my points on RCL cruises. (A lesson for cruise lines offering points cards???)

I started out booking directly with the cruise line, which is nice because everything you do is reflected on the website - each payment, each due-date, etc.

Now we book with a travel agent we met on one of our cruises. She's great at monitoring RCL for price drops on our cruises. She also caught an error I'd made when booking my own flights which could have caused us to miss our cruise! (I'd booked a PM versus AM flight - oops!!)

As others have said, I'd shy away from TA's I didn't know. While I never had any problems with the on-line agency I used, I've since learned of issues such as those alluded to by G'ma and wouldn't take the chance. I've also read threads here where people have complained about treatment by their TA's. Like anything else, it's a buyer-beware situation and a cruise vacation is an expensive and important purchase!

Archived