Don't deshell lobster anymore?

mattR

We were on the Veendam last week and on surf and turf night the waiter did not remove the lobster meat fron the shell. This is the first time on a cruise when they did not do this for me, is this common or just a miss on the part of our waiter that night. We were on Open Seating.

I have never had a waiter remove the shell from a a lobster tail for me as I am more than capable of doing it myself (it would be like having him cut my meat up).

However, service does suffer in the open seatings. The waiter was probably too busy running around to take the shell off a lobster tail.

We had the open seating and the waiter, even though he was very busy, removed the lobster meat from the shell (unless told not to by a guest.) I loved being pampered and since I am a bit of a klutz if I had of done it myself it probably would have ended up at a different table!

We also did not find our service suffered in the open seating at all. :rolleyes:

We had open seating on the Zaandam last week and as soon as the surf and turf was served we were asked if they could remove the meat from the shell for us. I was impressed.

My experience was the same, (on the same ship) but I had beat him to the punch. I typically only like lobster if it's still SUPER hot, and lobster can cool rather quickly. If I don't inhale it upon arrival it'll likely remain on the plate when it's taken :)

It has been a long time since our waiter removed the shell from the lobster tail.

The waiters have soooo many more meals to deliver than what they used to have. I don't want them having to let someone elses meal get cold while they run around taking care of that simple task for me.

I like my lobster hot -- and brought right our from the kitchen -- served immediately so that it still doesn't keep steaming under that metal lid and getting tough.

I agree, Krazy. My Yankee blood can't wait to eat that tail and it is the easiest part of the lobster to remove from the shell. Hot is best! Although I sure wouldn't refuse cold lobster salad. I always liked to order the Dover sole just to see the waiter remove the bones. Now that is something best left for them to do.

We were on the Veendam last week too and, in our area, the lobster was

not removed from the tail. Some waited and then removed the meat

themselves - we were in fixed dining.

They do remove the bone from the Dover sole still, but would really rather remove it myself as there is always a few bones left when done in a hurry.

On the Veendam 5 day from Vancouver to San Diego fixed early seating ... no assistance to remove meat from the shell for our tablemates. We thought it was simply because our server was subpar ... perhaps not.

Our service in the dining room was okay at best, poor at times. Actually, our entire cruise was the same. Staff and servers doing their job, nothing more. Unimpressive, really.

Archived