"Camping out" all day in the Windjammer

I would have no problem asking if the three extra seats were open and sitting down and enjoying my meal. I have no problem sharing space. Perhaps even they'd get the hint that the Windjammer is intended for turn-over, not camping out?

Ha! If I encountered that situation and there were truly no available seats, I wouldn't have asked. I would have just said, "sorry to bother you but there are no available seats except these" and would have sat right down.

I think I might be tempted to chatter away with DW. If I had read one of their books, I'm certain we would have a conversation about the plot twists.

That's just weird. If I had an inside cabin and wanted a warm spot indoors where I could sit for an extended period of time and watch the scenery' date=' I would not choose the Windjammer. There are so many other, plusher places to hog a window seat. Makes no sense.[/quote']

The WindJammer (or whatever it is named on the particular ship) is about last on my list for places to "camp out" and I regularly get insides.

Why suffer with grabbing your food and then wandering around WJ, when there is a dining room that makes life that much easier at least for breakfast. Go in, sit down, order and there is no muss, no fuss.

Might take a tad longer but as more and more people are suggesting, wandering around WJ with less than hot food isn't the time savings anymore

Some of us don't care for the formality of the MDR for breakfast and lunch. To those who do, thanks for dining there as it frees up space for us in the Windjammer.;) We have never really had a problem finding a table after more than a minute or two at the most.

We do eat breakfast in the MDR on the last day as it is a "zoo" topside!

Some of us don't care for the formality of the MDR for breakfast and lunch. To those who do, thanks for dining there as it frees up space for us in the Windjammer.;) We have never really had a problem finding a table after more than a minute or two at the most.

We do eat breakfast in the MDR on the last day as it is a "zoo" topside!

And some of us can't even stand the dining room for dinner so we are certainly not going there for breakfast and lunch. I, too, often feel greatful to those who choose to eat in the dining room and free up space for those of us who actually like the Windjammer!:)

on same cruise as you apollobeach, experienced the same problem.

every single day.

yes, RCCL made "canned" announcement quite frequently - I know as we were in aft cabin deck 10 and heard every announcement!

these people never seemed to find Viking Crown lounge, solarium area, etc which were empty during the day.

several times we had to take our food to the cabin to eat. whatta hassle !

If they wanted to save the seat so bad, wouldn't it just be easier to put a towel on it?

That's just weird. If I had an inside cabin and wanted a warm spot indoors where I could sit for an extended period of time and watch the scenery' date=' I would not choose the Windjammer. There are so many other, plusher places to hog a window seat. Makes no sense.[/quote']

I agree, especially on the Serenade! It is such a beautiful ship with so many great places to catch a view! The glass on the ship is just amazing!

It's not just on cruise ships. I run into the same thing at least once a week at Starbucks! People actually using the coffee shop as their office--laptops, books, newspapers, even a portable printer. But I guess that one latte in the morning gives them the right to inhabit the biggest table all day long. Who cares if other people have to stand or take their drinks to go? DD & I were enjoying a pleasant conversation over coffee recently and the guy at the table next to us actually asked if we would lower our voices because he was expecting a call on his cell phone!

Seems like typical rule enforcement ... you can't stay and we'll make general announcements, but no one will say anything to you ....

You are quite right. We recently had the same problem three people playing cards, no food in front of them, one man was positioned at the end of the table preventing anyone from sitting in the two seats adjoining. Both tables were meant for four but we could not sit down because the fellow refused to move, {despite me pointing out politely that he was blocking seats.}

I asked the supervisor in the Windjammer to speak to him but she said " We are not allowed to say anything".

This was around 1pm and the place was very busy.

We noticed the same people in the same spot daily.

I must say we have never encountered that kind of behavior before , I guess we have been lucky.

Ha! If I encountered that situation and there were truly no available seats, I wouldn't have asked. I would have just said, "sorry to bother you but there are no available seats except these" and would have sat right down.

I would have done the same. This must be a new phenomena along the same lines as saving chairs etc.

Along those same lines, How about the folks...groups of 4,6,8.....who show up the minute lunch is being served grab a large table proceed to eat, then start the daily card game. I agree this is a great place for an afternoon card game, but how about waiting until lunch is over?

I would not hesitate to get a staff member to immediately end their card game and clear the table for us or anyone else who was waiting for a table to eat at. The ships I have been on all had card rooms specifically for that activity.

It's not just on cruise ships. I run into the same thing at least once a week at Starbucks! People actually using the coffee shop as their office--laptops, books, newspapers, even a portable printer. But I guess that one latte in the morning gives them the right to inhabit the biggest table all day long. Who cares if other people have to stand or take their drinks to go? DD & I were enjoying a pleasant conversation over coffee recently and the guy at the table next to us actually asked if we would lower our voices because he was expecting a call on his cell phone!

LOL! Constantcruiser, I see this EVERY DAY at Starbucks. Drives me nuts. And as far as the buffet goes, DH and I were on the NCL Sun to Alaska this past May and the exact same thing as mentioned above. People taking up table space reading and just gazing out the windows. We ended up eating out on deck a few times and it was COLD. We finally just gave up and started bringing the food back to our room.

We recently returned from a 14 day Alaska cruise on the Serenade of the

Seas. On a regular basis when we went to either breakfast or lunch it was

difficult to find a table to sit at because of individuals who "camped out" with their books and tote bags at tables. When we would go to breakfast we would see one or two individuals with their reading materials at a table

for four. When we went to lunch the same one or two people would still

be at the same table. In order to have a place to eat, we went outside.

On an Alaska cruise this could be chilly at times. Announcements were

made by RCCL in the Windjammer to leave one's table after one finished

eating since others needed places to sit. This had no effort on these individuals.

This was a matter of discussion by others on our cruise. We continually

heard comments to the effect that the individuals who were "camping

out" all day were people who had inside cabins. This is extremely unfair

to other people on the cruise who are looking for seats in the dining room.

It isn't just Alaska. They were making announcements at breakfast in the WJ on Explorer to the Caribbean in April.

I don't know what makes some people think that they should just camp out.

I wouldn't have a problem asking to share a table and have frequently offered to others when we had extra seats.

Just sit down at their table and..

Stare at the window through them while you eat.

Speak a foreign language or jibberish and laugh nodding in their direction repeatedly.

Pull out a pack of smokes and start asking every crew member for an ashtray.

Each take turns coming back with large numbers of small plates with limited items so they pile up on the table

Let them overhear " I couldn't believe they were giving away bingo cards (or free cruise raffle tickets) in the Schooner Bar (or the Library) just for visiting"

Maybe they'll get the hint.

This was a matter of discussion by others on our cruise. We continually

heard comments to the effect that the individuals who were "camping

out" all day were people who had inside cabins. This is extremely unfair

to other people on the cruise who are looking for seats in the dining room.

We people who can only afford inside cabins are to blame... yes of course we are!!

we're also the ones who leave towels on the sunbeds all day... we also speak loudly in the theatres, use the elevators when we could walk, smuggle large amounts of alcohol onto the ship,wear shorts and tank-tops in the dining room on formal nights, and stiff the crew of the tips!!

There's a stereotype for you..... happy now??????????:mad:

BTW.... I hate the Windjammer.... never go there.... and because we have inside cabins, we've done 5 cruises this year, including 2 transatlantics!!

Different situation because Starbucks encourages the camping out.

The guy with the cell phone? I would have made no response and gone right back to my conversation. tough crap, guy, you need quiet, you go find it.

If there are two people at a four seater we won't sit down. People like a bit of space, so do we. If there are two sitting at a 6 seater, we will sit down without asking, leaving an empty seat between; tough, it ain't their table. Or 4 at a 8 seater we just sit down and leave an empty seat between us. We sit down and offer a greeting. I ain't asking for permission when the WJ is full.

This happens quite often on that first day. People are camping out in the WJ until the rooms are ready.

These "table hogs" do not own those tables

So let me get this straight, if someone sits at a table all day in the windjammer they are a table hog....

If someone does not sit in a chair by the pool but there stuff is in the chair they are a chair hog.

I don't know but it sounds like the two contradict each other. :confused:

Stare at the window through them while you eat.

Speak a foreign language or jibberish and laugh nodding in their direction repeatedly.

Pull out a pack of smokes and start asking every crew member for an ashtray.

Each take turns coming back with large numbers of small plates with limited items so they pile up on the table

Let them overhear " I couldn't believe they were giving away bingo cards (or free cruise raffle tickets) in the Schooner Bar (or the Library) just for visiting"

That was funny!

How about pulling out family pictures and start sharing?

Or talking loudly into your cell phone (with no one on the other end of course)?

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, because i'm sure there is, but i have never HAD a problem finding a table in the WJ.

It could be the time of day i come to eat...although it's pretty normal.

12:30 or 1 for lunch.

Also, if you're traveling in a group of two or more, it's really nice if you have someone go find a table so you aren't wandering around trying to find a table as your lukewarm food becomes ice cold!:D

It always works nicely and the person that finds the table usually gets extra dessert as a treat :p

~Smooth Sailing

So let me get this straight, if someone sits at a table all day in the windjammer they are a table hog....

If someone does not sit in a chair by the pool but there stuff is in the chair they are a chair hog.

heeheehee ;)

###

I don't really care if people sit there all day. But the not sharing of a table is rude. If a couple of folks are hogging a space that seats many more people, we will sit down anyway.

It was funny when we were on the Alaska cruise. There was a large group from Singapore. I told my mom and her friend to sit at one table. DH and I sat down at another, once we established that no one was sitting there. Not a lot of english but we got on the one word subject of wildlife and their Rocky Mountain tour. I was wiggling my fingers next to my head to indicate MOOSE. My mother was laughing hysterically about my communication skills from the other table. :)

We ate at the tables on the pool deck on our last cruise. We didn't even bother to look inside. BUt a Caribbean cruise is much different weather than an Alaskan cruise.

I think a better question to ask of a table hog is not "Can I sit Here", but "Is this seat taken?" I think most of the time people might be programed to answer no to the first question, but would hesitate to lie and say yes to the second.

I did have somebody who was obviously camping out say that seats were saved for somebody... and I did feel that they were lying. So... I said that it was no problem. I would be more than happy to leave when their "people" arrived. So I sat down... and no, they never did arrive. ;)

A couple of other times just took our food to other areas of the ship to eat. There was some great scenery from the Crown Lounge.

Oh I will have to try that one sometime! :D

Different situation because Starbucks encourages the camping out.

The guy with the cell phone? I would have made no response and gone right back to my conversation. tough crap, guy, you need quiet, you go find it.

Now see, I would have handled it differently .

I would have definately lowered my voice for that man ........until he actually got his call and was trying to talk.

Then God only know what would come out of my mouth :) he he he

If there are two people at a four seater we won't sit down. People like a bit of space, so do we. If there are two sitting at a 6 seater, we will sit down without asking, leaving an empty seat between; tough, it ain't their table. Or 4 at a 8 seater we just sit down and leave an empty seat between us. We sit down and offer a greeting. I ain't asking for permission when the WJ is full.

This happens quite often on that first day. People are camping out in the WJ until the rooms are ready.

I have no problem sitting with someone at a larger table either.

On the first day - the WJ is such a zoo we eat our lunch and get out of there.

This thread reminds me of a great comeback a friend of my wife had. Granted it doesn't work for everyone *LOL*

My DWs friend has a set of brass cajones you can hook on a crane and demolish a building :)

When she was about 8 months pregnant she went to have lunch at a cafeteria type restaurant. She was walking around with her tray trying to get a seat. She sees an empty table and as she approaches it , some guy with his tray throws it right onto the table and takes a seat. She gives him a look mumbles a dirty word or two but just keeps going.

She finally finds another table eats her lunch, and as she is getting ready to leave, notices a woman has joined this jerk at the table

Tis is where it gets classic *LOL*

She walks up to the table, points to the woman and says to the guy "So this is why I haven't heard from you in over 6 months."

The guy's mouth falls to the ground, but the woman is pissed.

She asks my DWs friend who the hell is she

She says "I think it is obvious who I am....Who the hell are you?" and with that she walks away.

As she was walking out the door she and everyone else in the restaurant can hear the guy saying "I don't even know her" and the woman saying "Bull**** Tom who the hell is she , don't lie to me"

Archived