Specialty Restaurant Pricing Increase

TWELVEOHONE

I don't mind paying for the increase on the M and C class ships but not on the Solstice class ships.

I found the Murano on the Solstice not up to par with the other Speciality Restaurants fleet wide.

However, I might consider the increase at the Tuscan Grill.

I personally think that in light of the enormous difference in pricing between Celebrity's standard cabins and their suites that a few dinners in a specialty restaurant should be a suite perk.

It is on Solstice class.

If you are into a fine dining experience where the service, ambience and food combine for a unique memory try Muranos. We dined in Muranos on Century and it was a wonderful start to our first cruise. This time we are in AQ so have opted to try Silk Harvest one night. I like the sound of the menu and the decor looks really interesting.

I don't find the price increases to be a problem. No one is forced to pay for anything over and above MDR. It's the individual's choice, which is what I like.

I personally think that in light of the enormous difference in pricing between Celebrity's standard cabins and their suites that a few dinners in a specialty restaurant should be a suite perk.

It was on the Infinity we had a free meal with our PH in the SS. It was SO good we went back two more times.

I am going to book the Olympic on this cruise (before Jan 1). I have eaten in some of the finest restaurants in SF and I was totally impressed with the food and the service at the SS.

I am not saying I did not enjoy the food in the MDR.. but the SS was "over the top"

Hi Everyone !

Twelveohone: Thanks for the information !

As the New Year approaches (wow, I cant believe I just typed that), I am not surprised with this change, especially since Celebrity has not increased the surcharge in quite some time. While nobody likes to see price increases, I feel that $70 per couple for Specialty Dining ($60 for Tuscan Grille and $50 for Silk Harvest), remains a very good value. I've dined in comparable Restaurants in Major Cities, and have spent many times more than the above amounts. I understand this may not be an option for everyone's budget, but Celebrity's Main Dining Room should keep you happy.

To the person who suggested to cut back on tips..... PLEASE do not do this. There is absolutely no reason that a very hard working crew member should have to subsidize your dining pleasure. I urge you to reconsider your suggestion. Thanks for letting me vent :)

As the New Year approaches (wow, I cant believe I just typed that), I am not surprised with this change, especially since Celebrity has not increased the surcharge in quite some time. While nobody likes to see price increases, I feel that $70 per couple for Specialty Dining ($60 for Tuscan Grille and $50 for Silk Harvest), remains a very good value.

We have a few nights booked for our upcoming cruise, and were disappointed in March with the changes in Murano's Menu and services on Solstice. Tuscan Grille was superb. Will provide some current feedback once we return from Equinox.

Has anyone had a vegetarian dinner (non dairy) in the specialty restaurant ? If they can make us something delicious that fits what we eat, I'd gladly pay them 35$ each + tip :)

I always tell a restaurant to be creative, and then charge me creatively - $70 still seems like a good deal for a gorgeous meal for two

Yes it does.

Its still worth it, you have to try the Goats Cheese Soufflé, it is to die for:D

Well, I have to agree with you on the Goats Cheese Soufflé "as was"......but we are just back from the 10/10 Century cruise and they've changed it!!!!....it was in a pastry "cage" and didn't have the bite or sharpness

It wasn't the double baked Goats Cheese Soufflé which we have come to love!.. ..seemingly some bright spark decided to change the menu and the supply of goats cheese :(

I don't know if this being rolled out to the other speciality restaurants,if it is, I might be thinking twice about using them as much

Excuse me but your are paying for the higher space ratio and the extra man power this higher space ratio requires. "Your" suite is bigger than "my" standard cabin THAT is what you are paying for - and space is the most expensive feature on any ship.

The specialty restaurant charge covers the tip.

From Celebrity's website:

Quote:

There is a cover charge for dining in the specialty restaurants onboard Celebrity Constellation, Celebrity Millennium, Celebrity Infinity, and Celebrity Summit. This charge is a $30 per person charge that will be posted to your onboard signature account (This covers gratuities). Additional charges apply for wines and other beverages purchased as usual.

I find this very interesting, as we ate in Murano on the Solstice Inaugural and at the end of the dinner they presented us the bill (which I assumed was only for the water and wine) and suggested a tip of $5.00 per person, which they said was NOT included in the $30.00 per person cover charge!!! :mad:

I echo what Moeve said. With very few exceptions, we all pay the same for the transportation, food, venues, etc. The main difference in price is the level of accomodations. Some people want the amenities of a suite and are willing to pay for that. Others may well be able to afford any suite out there, but prefer inside cabins.

While some may long for the old days of different classes (which included different levels of dining and so forth), I am glad they are long gone on Celebrity.

We usually go to the specialty restaurant once or twice per cruise. We choose formal night as it further enhances the ambience and experience. In view of the increasing number of posts about bringing kids, dress codes, etc, I am glad that the price has gone up a bit-it may help keep the specialty restaurant special.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

In view of the increasing number of posts about bringing kids, dress codes, etc, I am glad that the price has gone up a bit-it may help keep the specialty restaurant special.

I'm not sure where the association is between having surplus cash and having children and/or wearing formal attire. Unless by 'special' it just means having people with money to splash around...

I'm not sure where the association is between having surplus cash and having children and/or wearing formal attire. Unless by 'special' it just means having people with money to splash around...

I certainly worded that wrong:). By "special" I am meaning a gourmet meal in an elegant setting and atmosphere. Several threads in the past have discussed bringing kids under the age requirement and wearing casual clothes, which, to me, dimishes the experience. If the price of the specialty restaurant is too low, it is not as much of an upscale option.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I would assume it to mean "something to do" versus "something to experience". Many folks are wanting the experience, not simply something different. With more of an investment (in this case, just money), you have a higher motivation to make the most of it.

I've got some fairly well-behaved kids who have experienced fine dining (right down to goat-cheese macaroni and cheese, whipped up for us by the kitchen), but wouldn't dream of bringing them to a specialty restaurant on the ship, mostly because it would detract from not only our experience, but that of those around us. They offer kids' club services during meals for a reason, and this would be one of them. :)

I am afraid so. It would mean $70.00 for two. Generally the additional cost is well worth it in my opinion . But I realize its not in everyones budget.

It may well be within my budget but, as a Yorkshireman with short arms and deep pockets, I intend to let others pay the extra to keep the cost of my cruise as low as possible.:cool:

These meals are among the finest you'll ever eat anywhere in the world at any price. We've paid hundreds of dollars for a meal for two with wine pairings in five-star five-diamond places that we didn't enjoy nearly as much as the dining experience in the specialty restaurants on Celebrity. It's cheaper than most shore excursions and you'll never forget the evening. It's a lush evocative reminder of what life was like a hundred years ago when everyone dressed for dinner and had a staff to serve it.

Get the wine pairings. It makes the evening just that much better. And you must have the Goat Cheese Souffle even if you're certain you won't ever again eat anything with the word "goat" in it.:D

It may well be within my budget but, as a Yorkshireman with short arms and deep pockets, I intend to let others pay the extra to keep the cost of my cruise as low as possible.:cool:

You raise a very interesting point. Most of the extra costs on a cruise are not a matter of who can afford them but who are willing to pay them. Some people like the fact that Celebrity has relatively low cruise fares for its basic cabins so they can customize their cruise by paying for a suite, eating at a specialty restaurant every night, etc while other people prefer to either take a reasonably priced cruise on Celebrity, without all the enhancements, or pay for a more upscale cruise line where a lot more is included in the cruise fare.

To make sure this is fully understood since it seems to have been misunderstood, it is in fact a suite perk on Solstice Class. Size matters.;)

Well, I have to agree with you on the Goats Cheese Soufflé "as was"......but we are just back from the 10/10 Century cruise and they've changed it!!!!....it was in a pastry "cage" and didn't have the bite or sharpness

It wasn't the double baked Goats Cheese Soufflé which we have come to love!.. ..seemingly some bright spark decided to change the menu and the supply of goats cheese :(

I don't know if this being rolled out to the other speciality restaurants,if it is, I might be thinking twice about using them as much

Oh Nooooooooooo...:eek: I am going to have to think twice about going again.

Ok thought about it, it just means I will have to try something different :D

Comparing NCL specialty restaurants to X simply cant be done. Our meal is Cagney's was similar to the MDR on X. They are in different leagues. I agree that I never like to see price increases but as I have said before, cruise prices have not kept with inflation. We are paying less for cruises today then we did several years ago. That being said, I would pay $70 for 2 to eat in X but wouldn't go back to Cagneys unless it were free.

Comparing NCL specialty restaurants to X simply cant be done. Our meal is Cagney's was similar to the MDR on X. They are in different leagues. I agree that I never like to see price increases but as I have said before, cruise prices have not kept with inflation. We are paying less for cruises today then we did several years ago. That being said, I would pay $70 for 2 to eat in X but wouldn't go back to Cagneys unless it were free.

Did you try the Bistro (French specialty restaurant) when you took an NCL cruise? I agree with you about Cagney's but think that the Bistro is very comparable to Celebrity's specialty restaurants. When we ate at Bistro I felt as if I was at an upscale French restaurant in Manhattan, and we have been to many of them.

In all fairness, I did not try it Bridge Maven. I guess we were so disappointed with Cagneys that we just didnt bother. Mind you, it wasnt bad, but the experience was comparable to the MDR on X (maybe even slightly lower).

Archived