eCruiseStore.com Just Went Bankrupt

Cahroozer

My only comment is the old adage, if it is too good a deal, then it may not be a deal...

I booked directly with Princess and paid regular fare so it was no deal. I turned the booking over to cruisePlanners AKA Ecruisestore.

Yes to the question of using cruise compete.

The great news is my final payment was made to Princess, the bad news is I lost a bunch of OBC but who cares at this point. I feel for anyone who lost their payments and possably their cruise to this compant.

I will henceforth only book with a cruise line directly from now on. I have on occasion turned my bookings over to a TA just before final payment in exchange for a perk but NEVER again.

I've booked with online agencies for years (two in particular) and have never had a moment's difficulty. Immediately after I book, I check with the cruise line ... and there's my reservation! If you prefer to verify it through your credit card company, be certain that the charge is from the cruise line, not the agency. The major caveat is to never book with an agency that does not forward the reservation directly to the cruise line. If that happens, cancel the sale immediately! Your credit card company is only too willing to cooperate, lest they be stuck with a bogus transaction.

Interesting to see all this background. As the OP, I'm still in the middle of this but I'm optimistic.

I had two cruises to sort out. I had booked one in August, and ecruisestore had only passed on to RCCL my deposit, not the rest of the full payment. I've disputed that charge with my credit card company through its website.

For the second cruise, the amount was smaller and couldn't be disputed online because it was recent. I called the CC company and they reversed that charge immediately. Therefore I'm sure I won't lose money on Cruise #2. The online dispute for #1 needs 24-48 hours but since the reasoning is the same, I feel confident it will also be refunded.

I, too, found this agency via *************. My many calls showed that the people behind ecruisestore had other company names. One of my cruises was allegedly turned over to Cruise Planners, but that agency says they don't have it. They said the person who had my reservation, a Richard Turner, had "taken his bookings with him to a new agency." They could only give me phone numbers.

Royal Caribbean has been very helpful. They are planning on taking over the bookings as if they were direct-sales and gave me all the information they have on this situation.

With just a little luck, I'll only lose the OBC which the travel agency promised. That's not bad.

Thanks to all the recent posters who have offered words of encouragement.

One of the couples who booked with us recalls a cheap airline out of Columbus OH going bankrupt a few years ago. They had tix worth $900 on a future flight and were reimbursed by their credit card company. So I am keeping fingers X'd.

To those burnt by EcruiseStore, please track down the status of your reservation with the cruiseline, even if you get the brushoff initially. Call back to get a more understanding rep if need be or ask to speak to a supervisor. Another problem with EcruiseStore is that they did not provide customers with a cruiseline booking #, just an invoice #, so you will have to try to get that # somehow, someway.

If a cruiseline took a deposit, wouldn't the rate at the time they took the deposit stand?

They said the person who had my reservation, a Richard Turner, had "taken his bookings with him to a new agency." They could only give me phone numbers.

He used the name Richard Tanner when I booked my 3 cabins. Then there was a mysterious Kay Bear who supposedly had my reservation according to Princess. Cruise Planners are taking over the reservations thank goodness. i probably lost all the OBC but who cares if I didn't loose on the fares I paid for.

Shortly after booking with EcruiseStore in July, thanks to *************, I found the thread on the Holland America forum started by a woman who learned that her online travel agent never forwarded her monies that she had paid to this unable-to-be-named-on-this-website agency. Luckily, information elsewhere in this thread led me to TripAdvisor, where my fears were confirmed that EcruiseStore was the agency discussed.

Despite requesting in writing in early August that the monies I paid in full to EcruiseStore be remitted immediately to the cruiseline, this did not happen. When the word BOOKED appeared on my Celebrity reservation page, I contacted Celebrity to determine what exactly booked meant. Unfortunately, the rep I spoke to led me to believe that BOOKED meant paid in full although she did not tell me so directly due to the sacrosanct TA/cruiseline relationship.

The only positive news for us and the 3 couples who booked w/us via EcruiseStore thanks to my suggestion, is that our bookings were brokered thru a brick & mortar TA (down by the old Millstream) located here in my home state in the city of Findlay. This agency is the agency of record w/ Celebrity, not EcruiseStore.

For all posters who are tempted to chime in and chide us victims for our "stupidity", please don't. Our error in using EcruiseStore is more than evident to us. Words of understanding, advice on how to proceed and general support of our situation is welcome.

icon9.gifI agree totally with you for I and my DW are also victims of this scam. Please no more I told you so's.

I have been in touch with Millstream Travel for a while about eCruiseStore and I think they were as stunned about this bankruptcy as all who received the E mail.

They tell me they are trying to work with the cruise line(s) to find a solution. All we can do is hope and pray.

I also requested payment to the cruise line but fell into the don't worry trap. Even at 70 years of age one is still learning.

I intend to send the E mail to Cruise Compete for they were the vehicle that put us in touch with eCruisestore.

O well live and learn.

I'm glad things seem to be working out for many and they'll be able to cruise.

After the huge fiasco last year with cruise value center, you would think people would be a little more cautious, however.

I'd never book online...period. I prefer booking direct with the cruise line or hotel or car company - whatever.

Art-

Glad you posted. I do think that those of us who got brokered by Ecruise to the TA down by the old Mill Stream are perhaps lucky to have an agency that has a reputation to protect. I hope....

Before today's bankruptcy notice, I did email the owner of that competition site the concerns I had about Ecruise and got platitudes in return. My email was forwarded to Ecruise who wrote be back with another line of u-no-what.

How has Celebrity been with you in your contacts w/ them after this fiasco?

I also was burned by them, after specific questions before booking

about problems listed in tripadvisor.com and fodors.com. They

claimed a disgruntled employee was sending the reviews to smear

their reputation. It is beyond reprehensible for this travel

agency to behave in this manner. For some people it is booking just

another little 4 day break; for others it is a honeymoon,

family reunion or trip of a lifetime with lots of money and hopes

invested.

Miss Bristol at Princess Cruise lines has been working to help

other people injured by ecruisestore since August at least.

They are not honoring the group discount rate ecruisestore.com

had but at this point I am happy to just MOVE ON!

Art-

Glad you posted. I do think that those of us who got brokered by Ecruise to the TA down by the old Mill Stream are perhaps lucky to have an agency that has a reputation to protect. I hope....

Before today's bankruptcy notice, I did email the owner of that competition site the concerns I had about Ecruise and got platitudes in return. My email was forwarded to Ecruise who wrote be back with another line of u-no-what.

How has Celebrity been with you in your contacts w/ them after this fiasco?

The agents I spoke with a Celebrity were really nice, no help, but really nice and friendly.

I started at the Captains Club, was transferred to the group cruise dept, was transferred to pre-customer service where I was given a phone # to reach sales administration. Each one was able to tell me they could not personally help but felt great sorrow for me .

I did not call Sales Administration for by then I had been in touch with Millstream and thought it wisest to let them try and sort it out.

Stay in touch if you hear more and I will do the same. artmc1@hotmail.com.

He used the name Richard Tanner when I booked my 3 cabins. Then there was a mysterious Kay Bear who supposedly had my reservation according to Princess. Cruise Planners are taking over the reservations thank goodness. i probably lost all the OBC but who cares if I didn't loose on the fares I paid for.

Richard has several last names along with Cathy and Samantha.

Following my post and those that came after, there is an important distinction between an agent ceasing to operate (in this case) and the principal ceasing to operate (not this case)...

In short, you have booked and the cruise is on!

Richard has several last names along with Cathy and Samantha.

Galaxy travel ....Richard TANNER.....this is the lier ...I didn't say that did I?, that I booked a China Viking River cruise with a few years ago... things ended up working out ...but he and his supervisor Kathy sounds correct, lied to me and were very deceptive regarding a 10% cancellation fee and cruise insurance..I learned my lesson....and the funny thing was my regular TA would have given me the same discount.

But, back to the OP's saga...since you have not received "any goods in exchange for your money" this charge can be disputed and you will get your money back.

I had a deposit with Premier cruise line when they went Belly up and I just had to sign the dispute papers and they credit me the deposit..... you should feel confident.

Just a word of advice for future bookings, make sure your payments appear on your credit card statement as "Royal Caribbean International" or "Princess Cruises". If you see a charge for a travel agency on your credit card statement, that should be a huge red flag.

To the OP - Good luck with the dispute. I hope you get every penny back. :)

I was called today by Oceania Cruise Lines that ecruise had folded. They had previously failed to pay the cruise line after we had paid them. Ninety days before the cruise, our credit cards were charged by the cruise line. Fortunately, we were able to get the credit card companies to remove the original charge made by ecruise. Mr. Tanner with ecruise said it was an accounting mixup and said that our original $125 onboard credit was being increased to $300 to make up for the "misunderstanding". Today, I also found out that no onboard credit was ever given.

We were referred to ecruise.com by CruiseConnect.com and they say they have no financial responsibility. They even asked that I recommend them to my traveling friends. With what I now read on this thread about ecruise.com, I have to question the vetting done by CruiseConnect.com. No, I will not recommend them to my friends. I will instead tell them that it is "buyer beware" and to check agents out on cruisecritic, BBB, etc. before paying one penny. My loss is small compared to those who lost thousands.

I was called today by Oceania Cruise Lines that ecruise had folded. They had previously failed to pay the cruise line after we had paid them. Ninety days before the cruise, our credit cards were charged by the cruise line. Fortunately, we were able to get the credit card companies to remove the original charge made by ecruise. Mr. Tanner with ecruise said it was an accounting mixup and said that our original $125 onboard credit was being increased to $300 to make up for the "misunderstanding". Today, I also found out that no onboard credit was ever given.

We were referred to ecruise.com by CruiseConnect.com and they say they have no financial responsibility. They even asked that I recommend them to my traveling friends. With what I now read on this thread about ecruise.com, I have to question the vetting done by CruiseConnect.com. No, I will not recommend them to my friends. I will instead tell them that it is "buyer beware" and to check agents out on cruisecritic, BBB, etc. before paying one penny. My loss is small compared to those who lost thousands.

Tanner again...OMG... but my problem was with Galaxy( an alias evidently)our problem was in 2006 and I will never forget his name and the hours I spend resolving their deception and lies to me. Lucky for me I had everything in emails and as I said before things worked out, but talk about bringing a name up from the past.

Art-

I will never, never, never use that competition site again. I did once, but after reading what you've written, I won't take the chance. He does bear some responsibility, I think. He should have been on top of the complaints against these agencies, the red flags that were raised.

Only used them once. The TA I dealt with was reputable. I was lucky.

They had a really bad BBB rating and it was just a matter of time. They also are one of the few agencies that charge your card to themselves instead of with the cruiseline, another bright red flag. Dispute with the credit card company. It's the only way you'll ever see that money again.

When I booked with Galaxay in 2006 they did charge my card directly through the Viking cruise line at my request.

What is interesting about this is that Richard Tanner's name was brought up back in 2006, after my incident by another poster as not being reputable.....and of course the thread was pulled....Like I said live and earn.......he certainly talked a good talk though.........

Archived