In light of...

Bridge Maven

In light of all the threads about automatic charges for gratuities and Celebrity's liquor policy, I would like to share these clauses from a confirmation letter we received for a hotel reservation. Please keep in mind that food is not included.

"A $12.00 facility fee will be charged per room, per day, which includes newspaper, Luggage handling, bellman gratuities, Local and toll free calls, wireless high-speed Internet Connection, and use of our fitness center, pools, and beach access (seasonal)........is the holder of a Liquor License and alcoholic beverages must be purchased from the hotel. No guest will be permitted to bring alcoholic beverages into their guest room or any other public area.

Out of respect for our other guests, parties in hotel rooms are strictly prohibited without the Resort's written permission. Please keep in mind that the Resort has a zero tolerance for noise complaints. Should the Resort receive a noise complaint emanating from your room, you may be evicted and you will be held responsible for all damages the Resort incurs, up to and including paying

for the room(s) of the guest(s) who were inconvenienced."

NO WAY they can enforce a guest not bringing a bottle of liquor to their room....short of inspecting every piece of luggage....

They CAN and most hotels DO prohibit you from bringing your own to a pool bar or any other public area that is not unusual.

Wow - I would be canceling my reservation STAT.

What hotel is this?

We are going there for the annual meeting of the Northeast Association of Forensic Scientists so we didn't pick the hotel. It is in New Jersey. Since this convention is next week we obviously won't be using the beach that is included in its resort fee :)

We have stayed in resorts in Orlando and Scottsdale where they had the resort fee - it's not that uncommon. However we've been able to opt out if we're not planning to use the pool or fitness facility.

But the line about "no alcoholic beverages" is certainly different. And how are they planning to enforce this? Unlike on a ship where they x-ray and/or search your luggage, how would a hotel know?

It does bring up a fine line though ... I'm a rule follower and find this hotel's rule ridiculous, yet I see nothing wrong with the cruiselines enforcing their liquor rule. Hmmmm ... I may have a philosophical crisis here! :confused:

NO WAY they can enforce a guest not bringing a bottle of liquor to their room....short of inspecting every piece of luggage....

They CAN and most hotels DO prohibit you from bringing your own to a pool bar or any other public area that is not unusual.

The problem is not with the hotels but with the local jursidictions in the event something odd happened. That is why they try to enforce these laws as violations may cause them to lose their liquor license for periods of time which could cause them big bucks.

I know this because as part of my job while in the Police Department I was in charge of ABC enforcement for the community. This is a big deal for hotels, believe me....Also, each community may have different laws.....

New Jersey---that should explain it! Unions (an union like rules) are big there---you can't even pump your own gas!

Lived in NJ my whole life until a couple of years ago and the Unions have nothing to do with the law forbidding you to pump your own gas.....

Facility Fees are becoming more common each year.

If you read the fine print provided for you in every hotel room you will find that this Liquor Policy is very common and probably universal. I have read it in every new hotel room I have been in over the last 30 years. (OK, I love to read and can be obsessive too :D)

I only know of one hotel chain that claims to have a Noise Policy that will hold you financially responsible if you cause a disruption to other guests. They did not follow through on it when a room full of unsupervised and excited underage girls disturbed us, but they do have the policy.

I work at a resort hotel (have worked at a few different ones now actually) and it is very common for hotels to prohibit alcohol in the guest rooms. It is due to the liquor license. But it is rarely enforced. As others have said hotels don't search luggage. It is usually listed in the compendium (hotel directory) but a lot of guests never read those, heh. The only time I have seen this enforced is in the instance of guests trying to throw a party in their room which is not allowed due to noise.

I've seen those "Resort Fees" before...They are very common in certain areas...You really just think of it as part of your cost and compare your hotels by bottom line price...If you had no choice over the hotel, just figure that it is what it is...They could have just as easily just upped their price...and absored the cost in the increased price...Would it have made a difference? I guess you could at least use it as justification to not tip the bellhop if you wanted though I guess a lot of folks do anyway...

As to the liquor policy, those things exist all over...but there's the question of policy versus enforcement...I seriously doubt they search anyone's luggage or care if you have a bottle of liqueur stashed away and take a shot before yu go to bed at night...I'm guessing the only enforcement comes along with that "party in the room" thing...Someone's loud and causes a disturbance and they want them out of the hotel...But claiming "too loud" is highly subjective...and what party, I just had a couple of friends drop by for drinks"...Whoops...That's where they get you--the "Alcohol in the room" clause...

Sort of like the alcohol in the open container vehicle code rules...They don't stop every car and search for an unsealed bottle of tequila...BUT when they do stop you for something...when you're driving erratically or get in an accident or get pulled over for something else...and they look in your car...THAT is when they add on that "open container" violation...

The point Bridge Maven is (trying) to make is there are many extra charges and restrictions for many venues beyond what we see on cruise lines. So before we blame our favorite wipping boys such as Unions, NJ, and local community rules, which I guess could be in play for some charges, this example has more to do with a hotel company trying to survive by charging more money - the name of the game especially in these hard times that is adversely impacting all leisure-related and travel-related companies.

It's just an example, a bit harsher than many, but I pay $10/day for intnernet, $15 for a hamburger, $8 for a glass of wine, etc, at a hotel.

And just like cruise lines, when I use my hotel chain I have lots of 'points' with, they then give me all those perks making things that were free years ago, 'free' again. Life in a downturned economy and in a world of high competition.

Denny

We are going there for the annual meeting of the Northeast Association of Forensic Scientists so we didn't pick the hotel. It is in New Jersey. Since this convention is next week we obviously won't be using the beach that is included in its resort fee :)

You should have attended the Midwestern Association of Forensic Scientist fall meeting instead! Cheaper room rates and none of those wacky rules. Also, you could have gone to Oralndo instead of Jersey! :)

Unfortunately it's all a reality of computers sorting by price. If they can say it's $100 (and then add a $15 resort fee), it will show up as cheaper than a place which is $110 (and no resort fee).

In order to fix this, the various consumer protection groups need to seriously start enforcing pricing laws

All I get to go to are Software design meetings, Boring. Boy, Association of Forensic Scientists Convention! I bet you have bodyparts laying all over the place, talks on carving up stuff. Fantastic! And I bet Bridge Maven and Gonzo70 just love all the TV fornestic programs, depicting real life in the Fornestic World and getting all the lab results back in 10 minutes. And all the women wear labcoats cut down to their bellybutton and the guys just came out of the gym after pumping iron!!

Denny

In light of all the threads about automatic charges for gratuities and Celebrity's liquor policy, I would like to share these clauses from a confirmation letter we received for a hotel reservation. Please keep in mind that food is not included.

"A $12.00 facility fee will be charged per room, per day, which includes newspaper, Luggage handling, bellman gratuities, Local and toll free calls, wireless high-speed Internet Connection, and use of our fitness center, pools, and beach access (seasonal)........is the holder of a Liquor License and alcoholic beverages must be purchased from the hotel. No guest will be permitted to bring alcoholic beverages into their guest room or any other public area.

Out of respect for our other guests, parties in hotel rooms are strictly prohibited without the Resort's written permission. Please keep in mind that the Resort has a zero tolerance for noise complaints. Should the Resort receive a noise complaint emanating from your room, you may be evicted and you will be held responsible for all damages the Resort incurs, up to and including paying

for the room(s) of the guest(s) who were inconvenienced."

I have a different opinion and suggest that the hotelier is attempting to make the resort one with a higher standard; one without wheeled coolers of booze and parties that interfere with guests quiet enjoyment which is not uncommon at some shore resorts.

In addition they note for the $12.00 you get this that and the other thing, all of which are good and useful and I think necessary. I'd prefer to see them just add this to the cost silently and label them all amenities of the resort.

So...I am guessing we are not talking about Cape May then.;)

You should have attended the Midwestern Association of Forensic Scientist fall meeting instead! Cheaper room rates and none of those wacky rules. Also, you could have gone to Oralndo instead of Jersey! :)

Gonzo, are you a forensic scientist? If you are you might know my husband. He is the former Director of the New York City Forensic Lab who retired from running crime labs a number of years ago to enter the field of academics as a Professor of Forensic Sciences.

I work at a resort hotel (have worked at a few different ones now actually) and it is very common for hotels to prohibit alcohol in the guest rooms. It is due to the liquor license. But it is rarely enforced. As others have said hotels don't search luggage. It is usually listed in the compendium (hotel directory) but a lot of guests never read those, heh. The only time I have seen this enforced is in the instance of guests trying to throw a party in their room which is not allowed due to noise.

I too work in the hospitality business as a resort manager and you're right the only time I think this would be enforced would be in the case of a rowdy party disturbing other guests....

Otherwise we'd have to go to the expense of an XRAY machine!!

We travel to Hawaii often, just returning from Maui the hotel we stayed at charged $15 a day for resort fee. They also charged $12 a day for parking your own car or $15 a day for valet and to top it off a 18% State of Hawaii bed tax.

You would think the $15 resort fee would cover parking but it does not.

I have found fees just like these in other states also. They all tell me this is because of unions at the resorts. I think these fees re outrages but pay them like everyone else.

This why we cruise to Hawaii as often as possible.

Oops, I forgot RCCL and Celebrity no longer go to Hawaii because of fuel. Guess I will have to go on HAL or Princess, they still have Hawaii R/Ts.

Archived