Pre-paid tips

carolinesmom

UKTO9

How - exactly would the room steward know if he/she received the full tip that was prepaid? I'm thinking it is because the "powers that be" tell them that they have received their full tip.

This is a business -- and just as they find every way possible to take away perks to the consumer --- I don't think they would feel any pangs of regret to skim some off the top!

Therefore, I feel confident that if I hand out the tips (to everyone) I then know what each person is receiving.

I haven't been on Celebrity in several years ---- but when I am on RCL I go to the "desk" and tell them not to automatically add the tips to my on board account. I have never had a problem doing this ----- it doesn't mean I am right --- just that this is the way I handle this situation.

Cheryl and Ray

On a sunny/chilly mountain ridge in WV

wildacres1@wildblue.net

The room stewards are fully aware of what the standard tip is. They are all (waiters, assistants, stewards etc) given a printout of who has given what about 48 hours before the end of the cruise (that is why there is a cut off time that guests have to advise guest relations of adjustments.

I am very confident, given what these staff have told me and what has been confirmed by the officers that the full amount is passed on

I always prepay my tips as part of the cost of my holiday and hand out extras in cash if and when it is deserved

UKTO9

How - exactly would the room steward know if he/she received the full tip that was prepaid? I'm thinking it is because the "powers that be" tell them that they have received their full tip.

This is a business -- and just as they find every way possible to take away perks to the consumer --- I don't think they would feel any pangs of regret to skim some off the top!

Therefore, I feel confident that if I hand out the tips (to everyone) I then know what each person is receiving.

I haven't been on Celebrity in several years ---- but when I am on RCL I go to the "desk" and tell them not to automatically add the tips to my on board account. I have never had a problem doing this ----- it doesn't mean I am right --- just that this is the way I handle this situation.

Cheryl and Ray

wildacres1@wildblue.net

Hi,:) I used to give out my tips in cash as well but recently I have done it

via the Cruiseline. I have realized it is what is preferred and it really

makes things easier.

How does your staff know? They are given a printout of who pre-pays.

I also give extra money to those who I feel deserve it.:D

If this is the case, why did we not have to prepay on Princess or Norwegian? We always had anytime dining with them; the tips were just added to the bill at the end.

No big deal . either way is okay with us.

But one thing with celebrity which I really am not crazy about. What's with prepaying for shore excursions? You have to pay for them when you make a reservation on line before the cruise. That becomes a hassle if you have to cancel them. All the other cruise lines we were on charged you for the excursion when you actually took it.

On HAL we prepaind for our shore excursions

UKTO9

Cheryl and Ray

wildacres1@wildblue.net

Royal Caribbean does not do auto tipping, unless you fill out the form to ask them too, so there is no need to remove or ask them not to do it.

If you do remove Celebrity's Autotips, keep in mind that many cruise lines (not sure if Celebrity is one of them) will then expect the crew to turn in anything you give them to the pool, even if it is over the recommended amount (they can keep any extra if you don't remove the autotips). If they don't they will lose their jobs. So you may not be doing them any favours by removing the auto tip and giving them the cash directly as they probably won't be able to keep it. They will get whatever their share is from the pool, but it may not be all of what you gave them.

"requested" or "required". There is a major difference.

DON

Here is an example of "required"!!!

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/20/couple-arrested-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-at-pennsylvania-pub/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2F2009%2F11%2F20%2Fcouple-arrested-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-at-pennsylvania-pub%2F

A college-age couple in Pennsylvania was arrested for refusing to pay the tip that was added onto their bill, after receiving poor service in a pub!

Here is an example of "required"!!!

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2009/11/20/couple-arrested-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-at-pennsylvania-pub/?icid=main|htmlws-main-n|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dailyfinance.com%2F2009%2F11%2F20%2Fcouple-arrested-after-refusing-to-pay-tip-at-pennsylvania-pub%2F

A college-age couple in Pennsylvania was arrested for refusing to pay the tip that was added onto their bill, after receiving poor service in a pub!

yep its called theft of service. If its disclosed before hand its part of the bill. Do you want to bet there is more to it than in the story? Do you think if the service was as stated the restaurant would have insisted on being paid? I would bet there is more to the story.

This is the first time that my travel agent has given us each pre paid tips.

How is this amount treated on your on board account? Or, how are you notified that the amount has been credited?:confused:

Recently, we have used the auto tipping, and it is just deducted from our account.

This is the first time that my travel agent has given us each pre paid tips.

How is this amount treated on your on board account? Or, how are you notified that the amount has been credited?:confused:

Recently, we have used the auto tipping, and it is just deducted from our account.

The TA buys on board credits that are credited to your account. You will be notified of this once you are on board. Most TA's wait until a couple of weeks before the ship sails to buy them. The OBC will be in your account and you will need to sign up for auto tips for it to be used for the daily charge...

The TA buys on board credits that are credited to your account. You will be notified of this once you are on board. Most TA's wait until a couple of weeks before the ship sails to buy them. The OBC will be in your account and you will need to sign up for auto tips for it to be used for the daily charge...

Are you sure about this? I thought if we prepay, it's a done deal.

the pre paid are the same amount as the suggested amountys on board I believe. Yes you can add pre paid tips to your res and it will just be included in your balance due. We chose to do this to get the cost out of the way for our cruise next month...we try to pay as much as possible up front...tips, hotels, etc...

So' date=' you mean they will nofify us and we will have to go to the front desk to sign?[/quote']

that's what I have been told to do. You can of course not do the suto tips and hand cash and use the OBC for something else. personally I will use the auto tip...

that's what I have been told to do. You can of course not do the suto tips and hand cash and use the OBC for something else. personally I will use the auto tip...

I wonder why they are making it so complicated. If someone prepays tips, it's because they want to. Why turn it into an OBC? Unless the tippee is so bad that you want to adjust it!!!

I wonder why they are making it so complicated. If someone prepays tips' date=' it's because they want to. Why turn it into an OBC? Unless the tippee is so bad that you want to adjust it!!![/quote']

Its just their rules OBC's can be used for pretty much anything and they don't want to dictate how they are used. They aren't specifically for the auto tip. actual my TA is giving me slightly more than just the tips in OBC...and I am sure that there are some who don't want it used this way.

If you do remove Celebrity's Autotips, keep in mind that many cruise lines (not sure if Celebrity is one of them) will then expect the crew to turn in anything you give them to the pool, even if it is over the recommended amount (they can keep any extra if you don't remove the autotips). If they don't they will lose their jobs. So you may not be doing them any favours by removing the auto tip and giving them the cash directly as they probably won't be able to keep it. They will get whatever their share is from the pool, but it may not be all of what you gave them.

Celebrity does do this. There have been MANY tipping threads discussing the fact that if you remove the auto tips and pay only certain people in cash, they will have to turn that cash in and, as a result, will not get the full amount you gave them. Some people refuse to believe this or perhaps they just want to not tip the full amount. Who knows?

It will be a happy day when the anti-tipping folks cease their excoriations.

Amen, brother! This could all be solved very easily by Celebrity's saying that the tips may NOT be removed from your onboard account. Then all would pay at least their fair share and the crew would be treated fairly.

Its just their rules OBC's can be used for pretty much anything and they don't want to dictate how they are used. They aren't specifically for the auto tip. actual my TA is giving me slightly more than just the tips in OBC...and I am sure that there are some who don't want it used this way.

I don't think we are talking about the same thing. My TA didn't give me anything. I PAID a specific amount for the pretipping. My invoice specifies Pre-paid gratuity (which to me means a tip).

We are UK citizens and are booked on the Celebrity Eclipse on 4th October 2010. Have sailed on Cunard and P&O and paid tips at end of cruise.

We obviously have a different view on tips and gratuities than most of the world. If the service by the staff isn't up to standard we either reduce or cancel tips even if in a restaurant onshore. This seems to be a common practice as a nation.

What happens if we pay up front?

We are UK citizens and are booked on the Celebrity Eclipse on 4th October 2010. Have sailed on Cunard and P&O and paid tips at end of cruise.

We obviously have a different view on tips and gratuities than most of the world. If the service by the staff isn't up to standard we either reduce or cancel tips even if in a restaurant onshore. This seems to be a common practice as a nation.

What happens if we pay up front?

If you prepay up front, you pay with a credit card and cannot reduce or eliminate them once on board since you paid them before you got on the ship...

Archived