RCCL refuses to get involved.

Guest maddycat

Lets see, the cruise lines are creating more homes ports for their vessels so that more people will not have to undergo the inconvenience and expense of flying to a cruise. That means more people driving. So the city, Newark?, puts in a parking lot that they CHARGE people to park in and generates income. I have never been in this lot but I suspect there most likely is not a sign warning that numerous cars have been damaged in this lot from flying paint.

Now what do I expect from RCI? At the least I would expect RCI to inform me about a problem that they are well aware of. Secondly, how about RCI letting the city know that plently of its customers are becoming ripped when they return and find their cars damaged.

Do people here find the idea that RCI should go to bat for its customers to be totally absurd?

It is absurd. If the problem is chronic, sooner or later the lot will be closed, removed, relocated, etc......by the city and/or the owners.

RCI cannot get involved...it is NOT their issue or problem. They certainly can't start printing information about what might happen in the parking lot.

That's cause for a lawsuit, for sure.

If I knew that customers frquenting my business were regularly having their cars damaged at an off site parking area I would certainly do my best to warn them to not park there and I would most assuredly notify the owners of said lot of my customers' concerns. And that would be especially true if the lot had been installed to basically serve my customers. I believe, but do not know for a fact, that this lot serves mostly RCI customers and came into being because RCI started porting its ships there?

But of course, that is just me. I think it is called taking care of the people that take care of me by using my services.

Well, you may feel eager to open yourself up to a lawsuit but RCI won't. There are already signs all over the place that say very clearly that when you park there, you park AT YOUR OWN RISK...

That's all that is required. The rest is up to you...your choice.

HA!!!!

As if they'd open themselves up to a lawsuit from whoever owns the parking lot.

It must not be a chronic problem or might be something that happens sporadically. Otherwise' date=' there'd be info all over the cruise forums about it....and there isn't.[/quote']

really your response is beyond nonsense. A truthful statement can never wind up in liability. If the cruise line would be afraid of every lawsuit that can possibly be brought against it, it would never sail. Bringing a liable lawsuit(on the plaintiff side) is extraordinarily expensive and no attorney would take it on a contingent basis. It IS a chronic problem. The first reports started soon after the cruise port opened. It went a way for a while and is now back again....

also parking at your own risk signs do not absolve the owner of the lot of this type of problem. Signs don't change the duty owed. They are mostly unenforceable. A owner/leasee person in control has a duty to warn business invitees of hidden problems-and that probably includes RC no matter what they say...the statement that it is a secure safe lot is enough to bring some liability. You suing won't have to worry about this it will quickly be settled.

Excuse me, but technically, if you live in New Jersey, you own the parking lot, in the form of the Port Authority of New Jersey. I would suggest that you write a letter to your State Representative and State Senator. The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey owns the Cape Liberty Cruise Port. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity are just tenants.

Ok, obviously you're not from New York-New Jersey, because there is

no such thing as the Port of New Jersey Authority; this would be the

equivalent of saying the Port Authority of Pennsylvania.

The residents of New York and New Jersey do not own anything.

An autonomous body controls the Port of New York, which has both New York and New Jersey bordering it. It is called the Port Authority of

New York. The governors of New York and New Jersey each select representatives to the Port Board and recommend who the head of the board will be.

Beyond that the Authority operates on its own, and anyone

who has lived around here knows the Port Authority pretty much does what it wants. It has tremendous revenues from bridges and tunnels that it owns and operates, plus all the fees from maritime shipping. In addition

it operates Kennedy Airport and LaGuardia Airport in New York with all the tremendous revenue that comes with that. And no politicians want to mess with them.

So forget about writing to your congressman. It will mean bupkis to them.

Write to the head of the Port Authority of New York. You can google them. Good luck with that. Try to be nice to make them aware of the

situation. At least you'll get the personal satisfaction

In the meanwhile, read your parking stub. I'm sure it will say you park at your own risk.

FYI Cape Liberty is in Bayonne not Newark.

Ok, obviously you're not from New York-New Jersey, because there is

no such thing as the Port of New Jersey Authority; this would be the

equivalent of saying the Port Authority of Pennsylvania.

The residents of New York and New Jersey do not own anything.

An autonomous body controls the Port of New York, which has both New York and New Jersey bordering it. It is called the Port Authority of

New York. The governors of New York and New Jersey each select representatives to the Port Board and recommend who the head of the board will be.

Beyond that the Authority operates on its own, and anyone

who has lived around here knows the Port Authority pretty much does what it wants. It has tremendous revenues from bridges and tunnels that it owns and operates, plus all the fees from maritime shipping. In addition

it operates Kennedy Airport and LaGuardia Airport in New York with all the tremendous revenue that comes with that. And no politicians want to mess with them.

So forget about writing to your congressman. It will mean bupkis to them.

Write to the head of the Port Authority of New York. You can google them. Good luck with that. Try to be nice to make them aware of the

situation. At least you'll get the personal satisfaction

In the meanwhile, read your parking stub. I'm sure it will say you park at your own risk.

FYI Cape Liberty is in Bayonne not Newark.

see my post above the Port Authority of NY and NJ have nothing to do with the cruise terminal. Writing the head of the Port Authority is a waste of time.

http://www.cruiseliberty.com/index.htm

Perhaps RCI should inform people with reservations sailing out of this port that they are aware that cars parked in this lot have sustained damage and customers part there at there own risk. Doesn't take much effort on RCI's part to make their customers aware. Obviously RCI knows about the situation. Heck, we all know about it and it has been an issue for a very long time. Does RCI not think that people returning from a cruise are going to a bit annoyed to find their cars damaged? And they will be even more annoyed when they find out that RCI is well aware of the issues with this parking lot.

Seems you are right on...RCCL could at least let cruisers know...if I were up vacationing part of the Summer in Shady Harbor and drove down for a cruise...without looking on CC, I'd never expect a painted car upon return... Minimal effort to inform folks...beyond that it would be hard for RCCL to do much other than find another lot to send folks to...and that area of the country is pretty packed with things already.

Customer Service (the kind you DONT have to tip for)

If as posted above RCI are touting the car park as "safe and secure" and it obviously isn't then their Customer Service division (is one person a division?) should be concerned.

Not their liability - no

Their concern - yes

The cruise lines have enormous pull in the ports they dock at, if they want something changed or improved they can bring about a change. (just look at the port works being carried out to accommodate the Oasis)

Key word here is insurance, get your insurance involved they will take care of your claim and then recoup the loss from the Painting contractor/Port/Parking lot insurance companies.

Too many claims and the port will take measures to prevent damage.

More claims will raise their rates.

Don't see how this is RCCL problem at all.:cool:

This makes the most sense... If you come back and find your car damaged, file a police report if you can. Get everyone else to do it too. Ask the parking lot owner and the drydock to arrange for compensation, and if they don't (or don't make it easy), claim it on your insurance.

Seems everyone has a different idea of what RCI should do or could do, but we can agree on what they likely will do -- nothing. Your insurance company sure doesn't want to lose that money, they'll jump through the hoops to get it back while you enjoy your free touchup. If the painters take enough claims that it becomes expensive, they'll have to fix the problem.

I agree that cruise company is not legally responsible for car damage and I am sure that there is a sign somewhere on the lot saying that people park at their own rick. That said, the cruise company should make their passengers aware that there is an issue at that parking location as a courtesy to their customers.

DON

A cab ride from Michigan, wish I would have thought of that. I think everyone should park on the streets of Bayonne and come back to a car up on blocks. At least with the paint spray you could drive your car home.

I meant a cab ride for those who live close to the port, and the rest of us are flying into our ports anyway, so there is very little parking issue going on.

Well that aint gonna happen.....it is no different than any public parking lot in the US. "Park at your own risk".

If you feel so righteous about this and are not getting satisfaction from the powers you feel are responsible for this problem...by all means, BUILD A PARKING LOT as a new business venture for yourself, or find another place to park, or have someone drop you off at the ship and """poof""" the problem really goes away regarding your concerns !

Ridiculous Thread started by the OP on this topic.

I had the same thought about your response.

HA!!!!

As if they'd open themselves up to a lawsuit from whoever owns the parking lot.

It must not be a chronic problem or might be something that happens sporadically. Otherwise' date=' there'd be info all over the cruise forums about it....and there isn't.[/quote']

It is a chronic problem. It is written about continually on these boards. And I believe you would only be opening yourself up to a law suit if your were spreading FALSE information.

It is a chronic problem. It is written about continually on these boards. And I believe you would only be opening yourself up to a law suit if your were spreading FALSE information.

while any one can sue, it doesn't have any liability. Cruise lines have lots of lawyers and I am sure this wouldn't scare them.

As to the no responsibility signs, most of the time it has to do with contents of the vehicle. Most states do not allow them to disclaim any liability no matter what the signs say. What happens when its the car park employee that is doing the stealing(happens more than you know)? do you think the location has no responsibility...

In NY as an example, the liability is limited to $25,000 per vehicle. What generally happens when there is a loss...is that you car insurance pays youand then it subrogates and your insurance company sue the location- and then the car park's place insurance resolves the issue. Here the lawsuit would be against the owner of the property, the cruise line, the operator of the lot and the owner of the painting place. The lawyers do really well on this one. Why sue everyone for a number of reasons, you don't really care who pays you and you want to make sure any judgment is collectible(there will be joint liability).

IT is certainly not asking too much of RCCL and Celebrity to give cruisers a heads-up about ongoing 'paint overspary' problems in the parking lot. Once informed we can decide for ourselve if we want to take the risk and maybe have to go thru the hassle of having our cars repaired.

IT is certainly not asking too much of RCCL and Celebrity to give cruisers a heads-up about ongoing 'paint overspary' problems in the parking lot. Once informed we can decide for ourselve if we want to take the risk and maybe have to go thru the hassle of having our cars repaired.

Exactly!!!

Another thing is every time cars get damaged RCL tries to act like it's an "isolated incident". Well how could 100's of cars from 2005 up unitl now being damaged be an isolated incident?

I'm glad this recent string of cars being damaged was picked up by that New Jersey newspaper and News 12 New Jersey.

You ever wonder why every hotel room has a sign behind the door that shows that's state statute on liability? Its because under common law an inn keeper(a hotel room a restaurant are all 'inns") were absolutely liable for anything that happened to a guest. Stolen property etc were all reimbursable by a hotel.(that's also why there is a sign at restaurants that say they aren't responsible for your coat) So the legislatures in almost every state said that is not fair and passed a law that limits the liability as long as they follow the rules and post the law(it doesn't absolve them completely only as to lost/stolen goods). The same sort of thing happens when you surrender you car to a bailee.(turning your car over at a lot is a bailment) The bailee is responsible for the safe keeping of your bailed goods(your car in this case). Unless the law permits the disclaiming of liability, the signs are pretty much worthless- although they may discourage lawsuits over small amounts...some states do allow some limitation- I looked for a NJ statute and couldn't find one...

A cab ride from Michigan, wish I would have thought of that. I think everyone should park on the streets of Bayonne and come back to a car up on blocks. At least with the paint spray you could drive your car home.
Personally, from Michigan I'd fly.

Personally, from Michigan I'd fly.

Me too because with the money I would save I could build that parking garage that some suggested. The point is that are some places where it does not make any sense to fly because driving is much easier and cheaper and it appears that the cruiselines recognize that or there would not be parking lots next to cruise terminals.

Me too because with the money I would save I could build that parking garage that some suggested. The point is that are some places where it does not make any sense to fly because driving is much easier and cheaper and it appears that the cruiselines recognize that or there would not be parking lots next to cruise terminals.
That's fine and dandy but then why did you mention a cab ride from Michigan?

That's fine and dandy but then why did you mention a cab ride from Michigan?

Because Mokaheena from Michigan suggested that a cab would be more practical. I seriously doubt that he/she meant getting a cab from Michigan, but he/she did not say where to get the cab. Even a cab from Washington would be more than driving and less convenient.

Archived