18 passengers of RCI and DCL robbed at gunpoint

flagger

We were in Nassau that day ..on the Navigator...and didnt hear anything about this. The Disney ship was the Wonder.

It was our first visit to Nassau and never felt threatened at all..just got fed up saying no thanks to all those trying to sell excursions.

We were on the Nav with Liz. We did not ever hear of this crime (granted it was the day before Miami) until I saw this thread. Nobody talked about it on the ship. What happened to the passenger high-speed grapevine of news and rumors?

Lol - no - lived in NYC and now live 20 minutes over to NJ and no, we don't have men with machine guns surrounding and robbing the many, many groups of tourists that are here - and certainly not every day!

Talk about coincidence, I just went onto Comcast home page and they have a list of America's Most Dangerous Cities. 1st place Camden, NJ.

LuckyPrincess - CamdenNJ, America's most dangerous city...lol. :p

HAHAHAHAHA I am soooo laughing right now. Seriously and this is all in good fun (really cause I like you...lol). But you don't have robbers who hold up tourists in NYC? How about just 3 weeks ago in Central Park! LMBO

http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-central-park-robberies,0,6504352.story

First visit to Nassau ahile ago, we took a ship's tour--forts. Staircase & the gardens..really a messy/awful place--could not wait to get back on our bus..kept wondering why all the homes we passed had big razor wire on their fences!

More recently, we walked to the Colonial Hilton for lunch a Day pass swimming...right out of the port gate we were beseiged by people hawking tours (tugging at us)...a ways down from there, another one would not let go of me & cursed me out when I tried to disengage. Had a nice lunch & swim..felt safe in the resort. On the walk back there was a fracas near the straw market between locals where punches flew...

Thi sis now designated a DAY AT SEA port for us...esp. after this iincident. All the excuses aside, I only like to go on vacation to places where I can enjoy myself & feel relatively safe--why look for trouble..we have all been warned!!!

Thi sis now designated a DAY AT SEA port for us...esp. after this iincident. All the excuses aside, I only like to go on vacation to places where I can enjoy myself & feel relatively safe--why look for trouble..we have all been warned!!!

You know it's a bad port when it's hard to get a good pool chair in port. This was my experience on my last Majesty cruise. Apparently, you and I are not alone in this opinion.

most ports i went to asked for passports to be brought along with the seapass...

i guess next time i go out, it's with creditcards only...leave everything else in the safe

We take photo copies of our passports off the ship while in port. Never the actual passports. Those stay in the safe in the stateroom.

most ports i went to asked for passports to be brought along with the seapass...

i guess next time i go out, it's with creditcards only...leave everything else in the safe

we only take what we need-- but if the ship leaves without you for any reason it will be hard to get back home without the passports...sometimes we take our copies with us..

I'd like to think that if this happened to my family, my first reaction would be "Thank God no one was hurt and everyone got home safely", not "Who can I blame and how can I profit from this?" I'd also like to think these people were treated like royalty when they got back on the ship - a little compassion goes a long way. Maybe I just think too much and am out of touch with reality.

I'd like to think that if this happened to my family, my first reaction would be "Thank God no one was hurt and everyone got home safely", not "Who can I blame and how can I profit from this?" I'd also like to think these people were treated like royalty when they got back on the ship - a little compassion goes a long way. Maybe I just think too much and am out of touch with reality.

Whoops. Put this on the wrong thread. Kind of ruined my attempt at righteous indignation! :o

HAHAHAHAHA I am soooo laughing right now. Seriously and this is all in good fun (really cause I like you...lol). But you don't have robbers who hold up tourists in NYC? How about just 3 weeks ago in Central Park! LMBO

Yeah - I would NEVER go to Camden - but that's really mostly gang killing - in other words, NO ONE would be a tourist in Camden, NJ! :pjust so gross and sad, really.

Actually, the robbers in Central Park have been on a spree again lately. However, and maybe its my tough skin, I don't equate being mugged in Central Park at midnight (common sense, people!:rolleyes:) with being on an organized tour in NYC, say at Times Square on one of the double decker tour buses - and having it be surrounded by men brandishing machine guns and robbing everyone of their passports, jewelry, cash and credit cards. That certainly doesn't happen everyday here! Pickpockets, purse snatching, mugging (not so often with a handgun, but yes thats scary!:eek:) that kind of thing is not a felony and not on the same level of what just happened in Nassau...imho.:)

I also knew many that I felt had very good morals that still swiped some bread/canned goods/fruit to feed THEIR families because they didn't catch any fish that day to feed your family.

My father-in-law was in Italy during WW II. Things were pretty bad for the native Italians. He observed a young boy stealing bread off a peddler's cart. He pointed it out to a carabinieri. He said he never what the police man told him:

"First food, THEN morality ".

True then, true now.

However when you turn to gun violence you have crossed the Rubicon.

My father-in-law was in Italy during WW II. Things were pretty bad for the native Italians. He observed a young boy stealing bread off a peddler's cart. He pointed it out to a carabinieri. He said he never what the police man told him:

True then, true now.

Thank you. That's a very good lesson and I really like the quote. If choosing between my family being hungry and the morality of stealing food I also would feed my family first and beg forgiveness later. I agree with your last sentence, too.

I usually agree with your posts, but am not tracking on this one. You mentioned big CEO's and white collar crime. That's all well and good, but violent crime does exist moreso in impoverished area. That's just fact.

Or is it just reported more by the media? Especially the US media that always reports the news in such a down the middle way.

People with $$$ can chase away and bury away a lot of things, even in today's cutthroat yellow journalism media. Also buy the lawyers to make a lot go away too. The poor can not. And that's a fact too.

Being I've been here almost 13 years, I've very RARELY read of theft with guns. Pickpockets, things "lost", yes, but not at gunpoint.

I would imagine that would change ones life forever. I know it did to an ex roommate, at his job, in America. No one gave him a safety reminder.

"The Empire State" and rarely read of theft with guns ? Stop reading the funnies, I've lived in this area all my life! Got to be aware of where you are, who you are with, time of day and whether you look like an easy mark.

True then, true now.

Boy that sure would have put a damper on Mr. Hugo's little story...

;)

Theron

Hate to burst your bubble but Camden IS the most dangerous place in the USA, along with lovely places like Compton California and No-Mo-Town.

You wouldn't last an hour without being picked off there.

Police statistics show that most crime is committed between midnight

and 5 A.M. and involve alcohol consumption (something about freeing your

civilizing inhibitions).

These jokers hanging out in Central Park at 12:30 A.M. are wearing a sign

saying "HERE I AM - ROB ME- EASY MARK".

Also public display and usage of high priced electronic gadgets at odd hours really increases your "markability"

So listen to Lucky Princess, NYC does not have tourists being held up

at gun point in major areas in prime hours because it's well policed and with high traffic and has extreme visibility.

It's only when the strays get away from the herd do the jackals and hyenas pick off the unsuspecting.

Be that as it may, whenever street crime is involved you can bet DRUGS

are part of the equation. Bet this is what happened in Bahamas.

Hate to burst your bubble but Camden IS the most dangerous place in the USA, along with lovely places like Compton California and No-Mo-Town.

Chill out. That was my point. Princess was saying these things didn't happen in NY/NJ where she lives yet Camden NJ was named the most dangerous place in the country.

My point is that these things DO happen in the US. You don't need to go to the Bahamas to get robbed. We can do that right here. Yet, we don't move. We just use common sense (like no Central Park at midnight)

No need to burst my bubble. I don't live in a bubble.

Not a "rap sheet for each stop..." but I darn well believe that if a ship's tour group was victimized in such a dangerous way THE DAY BEFORE, that either the tour should be cancelled or the participants should be given the knowledge of the event and the option to cancel.

I have to agree with that one.

Kathy

"The Empire State" and rarely read of theft with guns ? Stop reading the funnies, I've lived in this area all my life! Got to be aware of where you are, who you are with, time of day and whether you look like an easy mark.

"Here" = Cruise Critic :rolleyes:

Guns in the faces of returning cruisers.

Totally agree! We go to NYC and live near Pittsburgh...doesn't stop us from going there. And I guarantee this kind of thing happens every day here. Not just once or twice.

I just want to clarify that when I said that 'these things' (meaning an organized tour being accosted by a group of people with machine guns and being robbed of everything) don't happen everyday in NYC and Pittsburgh I was responding to the above. The scenario we are talking about, an organized tour group being accosted by machine gun wielding thugs, does NOT happen EVERY DAY here. Emphasis was even put on 'not just once or twice' but truly every day. Not so. As a matter of fact, I'm still searching online for it EVER happening in NYC. I've found lots in Mexico and some in Caribbean, though.

Camden having the highest murder rate has nothing to do with it. Yes, gang members kill other gang members and innocents, too over drugs and stuff - but that has nothing to do with tourists getting accosted and robbed - unless you're planning on being a tourist in Camden (call me, I'll point you in a better direction).:D

So, yes, sometimes people get robbed in NYC and that sometimes includes with a handgun - scary! - but a lot of those times is like the link provided earlier - two people hanging out in Central Park at midnight = stupid. Common sense should be used in those situations. But you can't just say - see, people get mugged in NYC, too, and they don't live there so they are tourists - and say its the same thing. They weren't out in the daytime on an organized tour purchased by a reputable company and had machine guns pointed at them by a small band of thugs and robbed - common sense would not have helped. To say - well, that happens here everyday was really just not true. Crime happens everyday, yes, but this is quite different then having your purse snatched in Pittsburgh....and sometimes we just like to erase these very valid concerns by saying - well, that can happen anywhere - Can? I guess. Does? Absolutely not.

I guess I'm kind of on a soapbox, but I'm not angry, upset or anything like that - just want to be sure there is some healthy perspective in talking about situations like this.:) I think it goes hand in hand with posts wher an OP talks about something that really impacted their cruise negatively and people post back that the OP should just be grateful they are on a cruise because someone else may not be able to afford it:confused: or that 'a cruise is what you make it' or something equally befuddling.

Archived