Still Loyal to Royal?

bx wahine

We're leaving Saturday for our 39th cruise on RCI (Voyager TA) - frankly, I can't remember when the items for sale mentioned above were not there. I have never had difficulty saying no and I have never found the staff pushy. Perhaps the worst is in the spa and we tell them before any service that we are not interested in hearing about your products - and that short circuits the sales pitch. We were on Crown Princess in September and found the same sales pitches but again no hard sell. I love some of the Princess itineraries but when you compare the sq. ft. per passenger and the general layout of their ships the grass is not greener. For example: Voyager class 140,000 tons = 3,100+ passengers; Crown Princess 113,000 tons = 3,100+ passengers. I enjoy the openness of the Voyager and Freedom class ships, and Radiance class ships are well designed. For us RCI and Celebrity, desite the changes, are still a good value for the money and the D+ perks are the iceing on the cake.

OK-Don't flame-just a mathematical observation.

I have loved all 3 of my cruises on Royal-4th to come. As long as the price is fair and itinerary is what I'm looking for-I will sail with them as they have not let me down yet.

But:

All say cruising is an inexpensive vacation. It is-with a but. If you take your basic cruise package and spend nothing else-take what is included in your fare-yes-it is inexpensive.

Add up every soda, alcoholic beverage, excursion, bingo, movie rental....... the list goes on.

I may be the only one who does this, but-I figure out what my vacation really costs after all my bills. Sea pass and pre paid things. To me-it is not inexpensive, but, I enjoy it so will gladly pay for one week a year of a constant smile!!

So

Yes-they are nickel and diming you in a way because I think they want you to think it is an inexpensive vacation as long as you are happy with everything that is included and don't feel the need to spend another penny. Don't spend any money in port on excursions, don't drink any alcohol or soda, enjoy the coffee that is included-no specialty types, do not use the specialty dining options and partake in every activity that is included-yup- cheap vacation!!! ;)

OP, I think you have good reason to try other lines and see what you think. If there's less nickel and diming on Celebrity, remember that their cruises are more expensive, so you're, in a sense, being nickeled and dimed when you make your final payment! :)

I recently got off the Liberty and saw very little nickel and diming. The bingo cost us a freakin' fortune but no crew member at any point walked up to me and asked me if I wanted to play bingo. To me, THAT'S nickel and diming. No one said, "Buy our soda package! Buy our wine package! Come to the spa! Buy some pictures!" Nickel and diming (to me) is when you get off the ship in Cozumel and are literally attacked by EVERY SINGLE store owner asking you to come in and you'll get the best price, and even though you say NO THANKS, they go on and on and on, relentlessly.

I absolutely miss the daily summary of the NY Times, the pillow chocolates, the FREE soda at dinner in the MDR, etc. etc. etc. But I was also able to sail for a week on that gorgeous ship for $500.

Ten years ago I priced a Princess cruise to Alaska. JUST the one-week cruise was either $1200 or $1400 (don't remember which) for an INTERIOR cabin (PER PERSON). I'd rather pay for soda (read: beer, haha) and get to see Alaska for $600 today. :)

Do book another line and give us a review. I love comparison reviews (as I'm platinum on Royal but that doesn't mean I'm "loyal." I'll go anywhere if the ship/itinerary fit...although I always check Royal first)!

I am not loyal to one specific line.....never have been and never will be. That being said, it has been my observation that the "nickle and diming" and sales pushes are common on all mass-market cruise lines. Personally, I am not bothered by it, and have never been hassled by any salesmen on cruise ships. However, if what does exist is too much for you, I recommend looking at high scale cruise lines.

BTW, the "nickle and diming" is no where near what you experience in a nice hotel.

I'm sure you guys are right. I just didn't feel like this last cruise was a great value. Maybe I have deeper issues - i.e., the small cabins yet expensive cabins, the $12.95 pay per view movies, the $15 charge to press 3 items of clothing (and no, I'm not talking about evening wear). The temptation to go elsewhere and save a few bucks is strong at the moment. I know Royal has a great product but I wonder, are they hurting for money so much that all this is necessary? BTW, I get tired of saying "No thanks" over and over again.

Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now. Am I just crazy or am I the only one who feels this way?

What you described is pretty much on all of the major cruise lines. We were on NCL back in July. We did not eat one time in either main dining room. The menus did not appeal to us and our next door neighbors confirmed that the food was not good at all in those venues. We ate each night in one of the specialty dining rooms which cost anywhere from $10.00 per person to $25.00 depending on venue.

I guess the cruise lines could raise their prices to include everything but why should a person pay for special movies if they won't watch them? What about a person that does not drink soda? The cruise lines have decided to keep the prices down and let guests pay for the extras that they want. I do suggest that you step out and try anothre line. I have over the last few years but keep coming back to RCI.

I guess maybe it's my personality type, but nobody pushes stuff on me on cruises. I don't go to the spa, so that's out. Nobody has ever approached me to buy photos (i buy them on my own, but nobody ever asks), the guys with the drinks offer them to you, if you don't want them, you say no.

What is being pushed exactly, and how am I missing it all??

Thing is, if someone was asking me to buy something, and I didn't want it, I say no, then one of us walks away...I guess I don't see the big deal, because it doesn't seem to be happening to me.

What I forgot to add was I actually LIKE when you're asked if you want a drink all the time. Sometimes I'll say no and five minutes later when another guy comes over, I say yes. I'd rather be asked a lot than not enough and end up having to get it myself.

But again, unlike Cozumel, if you say no, they walk away and that's the end.

I can understand the cost cutting or extra sales options during times such as this...My problem is when everyone is flush with cash again, these sales and stuff won't go away.

Probably won't make me not go or even impact my enjoyment, but the Bazaar feeling is not really what I want on board.

I knew the remark I made about PPV movies would get some snarky responses about why anyone would want to watch PPV on a cruise ship. I have not, nor do I ever intend upon, watching a lot of TV on vacation - especially when I have to pay for it. My point was that it was a ridiculous amount of $$ to pay, should I want to watch a PPV movie. How about the $15 for pressing my clothes when I don't have to worry about it on another cruise line?

My real dislike is over paying for the price of admission and then being charged for "options" after the fact. Is cruising cheaper than it was years ago - according to what the more experienced folks say, yes. Would I rather pay more up front than wonder what my tab will be at the end of the cruise? Absolutely. I didn't mind paying a few hundred bucks more up front because I knew I didn't have to worry about the 'options' later. (BTW, I miss the chocolates on my pillow and have been enjoying the posts on "Cruising...I remember when!) What works for some folks doesn't work for others. I'm just saying that what I saw on my last cruise did not work for me.

Yes, I will have to try another line to know for sure whether or not I want to continue giving Royal my business, but please bear in mind that I started this string by saying I've enjoyed them very much in the past. In no way was I blustering and mumbling about it being bad only to regret my decision to try something else and come running back to Royal.

So again, thank you for the many many comments and opinions. This has been an eye-opening experience for me.

I'm quite new to cruising and I don't mind the selling they do. people have the freedom to say yes or no to it.

what I don't like is the port and shopping talk that is all about the ruddy shops and nothing about the port other than the shops. Oh did I mention the shops at the port. They must get some commision from the recommended retail outlets they try there hardest to flog.

Yes, I will have to try another line to know for sure whether or not I want to continue giving Royal my business, but please bear in mind that I started this string by saying I've enjoyed them very much in the past.

Just keep one thing in mind....a lower priced cruise line typically charges more on board to make up the prices.

I recommend giving Celebrity a try. You still see the cocktail servers waking around on the pool deck hawking drinks but, other than the shopping area, you don't see sales stands set up all over the place.

a simple two letter word solves all your problems. sure it can get annoying, but i say no thank you all the time. it takes me about a second and a half and then its over. still the product on royal is great. stay loyal to royal, you will be glad you did

You can say "No thank you" til your are blue in the face. The bottom line is perception.

Is the product great? Last I sailed it was?

Are they nickle and dimeing the cruiser. I don't know. . . . . IMHO . . .Yes.

Charge for whatEVER up front.

Just MHO.

Wine Package: You have to walk up to the table where they sell the wine package to buy it, people actually walk by and are not tackled to buy.

Spa Services: A young lady hands out flyers, I have actually seen people smile and keep on walking.

Inches of Gold: They set up a table, there is no one there holding a knife to your bback forcing you to the table.

Drinks: Every pool hustles drinks, think it is bad on RCI, try several others...a shake of the head and presto, they go away!

EMERGENCY, last sea day never before, never again, sweatshirt and t-shirt sale. They have actually allowed people to walk by and not force them to buy anything!

Shops: I am not sure here, but the last time I checked you could actually walk OUT after you walk in and no one stops you if you do not buy something!

OK off my soap box....chat amoungst yourselves....(this comment intended to draw out all the I hate RCI Diamond Plus members)

I'm still loyal to Royal.

Both my son and his fiance are in mangement at different luxury hotels. Both hotels are cutting costs and services in order to make ends meet in these economic realities.

One of the hotels has had the most beautiful landscaping for years and years. I was shocked to ride by last week and notice the cutback in landscaping. I mean I couldn't even believe it...a five star resort!

It was famous for its giant Christmas gingerbread house. Well, last Christmas that disappeared and will not return this year either.

The entire hospitality industry has been hard hit for nearly two years and they are doing everything they can think of to save money and keep their employees working. Royal Caribbean isn't the only guilty party in this.

It sounds like the Ritz Carlton Grande Lakes.

Gina

Not on Celebrity. Our cruise on the Infinity a few months ago had only one announcement per day. There were tables set up at the entrance to the buffet area with stuff to sell on only a few days, but the only announcements for that was in the daily schedule. The photographers always wanted to take our pictures, but there was never a hard sell to buy them. The only place I experienced any sales pitche was in the spa after a massage. When I said I wasn't interested, they dropped the pitch right away.

This is one of the many reasons Celebrity is still our favorite line, even though we occasionally cruise on other lines for the itinerary. We're on our first RCI cruise on the Mariner in February, and another on Celebrity in August. It will be interesting to find out how different and the same the two lines are.

And I'm going on my first Celebrity cruise in March. I'm wondering the same thing about the differences. It will be interesting to compare.

Gina

And I'm going on my first Celebrity cruise in March. I'm wondering the same thing about the differences. It will be interesting to compare.

Gina

Gina.........you are far too young to sail on Celebrity!!:D:D

You need to be much older to be able to enjoy the quietness and tranquility of a line such as Celebrity!

I'm afraid that if too many of you catch on to the uniqness of Celebrity, my cabin rates will once again soar!

All kidding aside, enjoy my favorite cruiseline!!

Rick

Wine Package: You have to walk up to the table where they sell the wine package to buy it, people actually walk by and are not tackled to buy.

Spa Services: A young lady hands out flyers, I have actually seen people smile and keep on walking.

Inches of Gold: They set up a table, there is no one there holding a knife to your bback forcing you to the table.

Drinks: Every pool hustles drinks, think it is bad on RCI, try several others...a shake of the head and presto, they go away!

EMERGENCY, last sea day never before, never again, sweatshirt and t-shirt sale. They have actually allowed people to walk by and not force them to buy anything!

Shops: I am not sure here, but the last time I checked you could actually walk OUT after you walk in and no one stops you if you do not buy something!

OK off my soap box....chat amoungst yourselves....(this comment intended to draw out all the I hate RCI Diamond Plus members)

Always a person that knows just what to say. :D

While like many of you, I enjoy the cheaper prices on cruises vs. years ago, particularly since we are retired and have more time to cruise, I am more distressed about the decline of the "experience" from the 80's and 90's. Back then, they didn't have the mega ships they need to fill week in and week out like they do now. They need to keep the bunks filled and an empty bunk is not going to produce any on board revenue or pay for the crew members via tips. It costs the same to run the ship whether it is full or 3/4 full so filling it up is a primary objective. If they charged a fare per person with all the "extras" that were included in the past that were "free" that would turn a decent profit then they wouldn't be able to fill the ship because many of their present passengers wouldn't be able to afford the cruise. It's a "damned if you do or damned if you don't" type situation.

So, they have tried to compromise. Charge lower fares and fill the bunks. Instead of giving out things that were included in the past (chocolates, sodas in the dining room, repeat passenger perks, etc.) charge for them so that those that don't want them aren't paying for them and the fare is lower so they will cruise.

Apparently, that wasn't enough so they started in other directions. Upping the amount of cabins the steward has to service, cutting back on dining room help, lowering the quality of food in the dining room but having what we used to eat in pay-for restaurants. Those that want the food offered in the past can still have it, it just is extra. The majority of their cruisers are happy with mediocre dining and fewer choices.

Those I have an old Carnival brochure from 1986 and the cost of a suite cost $1,875 on the Jubilee, their largest ship then. In 1997, it cost $2,009. Today on the Conquest, the suite is $1,409. So, basically, that is $600 pp less I would be paying and that $600 would buy me a lot of "amenities" that I want like dining in the speciality dining room every night, more attentive butler service and other perks that come with a suite that I'm not aware of having never done a suite on Carnival.

Face it. Unless you want to pay two and three times more for all inclusive, you are going to have to "dumb" down to today's cruise experience. However, seeing how much cheaper the prices are and the extra amenities available if you are willing to pay, makes it a little easier to swallow when what they would cost equals to less than what you paid 10 years ago for a cruise.

Tucker in Texas

To the OP forget about beeing loyal to Royal. (Having said that I have only cruised on Royal because it has worked out well for me. The day it does not I will Jump ship very fast)

I know RCL has allot of cheerleaders here that jump on anyone who complains abour RCL. I just dont get it unlest they are stock holders and are concerened about negative press affecting there investments.

If you were not Happy try another line there are many and I am sure soon you will find one that meets all your needs. Remember at the end of the day the customer has the power.

I'm with you on this. Some people are satisfied with a Travelodge atmosphere, while others want something nicer. That's why Celebrity is my favorite. I prefer to spend a bit more and get more as a result. A cruise line that charges rock bottom prices is more likely to provide rock bottom amenities, and then charge extra for anything beyond that.

The more I read this board, the more concerned I am becoming about our upcoming Mariner cruise, our first with RCI, and this is because of the itinerary. It seems that it might be a more active and stimulating experience than I favor. I'm starting to think that Royal is the Kmart of the cruise industry, while I prefer Macy's. I hope I'm wrong, but the obsessive defending I see on this board that "Royal can't do anything wrong" is worrisome. If a person criticizes Royal they are instantly flamed and in many cases ridiculed and insulted. I hope, I really do, that the people I will meet on the Mariner are more mature than many I've run across on this board.

Royal Caribbean is like K-Mart?! I think NOT. I'd put it up there with Target. :D

Gina

Just came back from 7 days on AOS and I am feeling pretty let down. This was our 7th cruise and 5th time on Royal, and I have to say that I'll think long and hard about doing it again. I know that you often get what you pay for, which is why I don't mind paying more for a cruise on RCI than another cruise line (of course, I look for hot deals and discounts too). I'm a fan of their entertainment, activities, service and itineraries - which did not compare well with the other cruise lines I tried.

What bothered me was the increased service charges, the sense of being 'nickel and dimed', and the product pushing on this last cruise. Was this just a singular bad experience or have other people felt the same?

Wondering if I should stay loyal to Royal. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks!

I learned after maybe our 4th cruise to "just say no". :D It really does work.

Archived