Anyone want to play, Pick That Cruise??? ...and help a newbie

MysticalMagic

I'm sure you get a lot of these threads, if you have the patience to answer one more...:o

We are a family of 4 (daughters 8 and 14 yo) who would love to experience some of Alaska's natural wonders. Last year we had picked out a National Geographic small boat cruise that we really wanted to go on but in the end it was too expensive for us. :eek: So we have scaled back our expectations and are looking at a mainstream cruise. We have never been on a big boat cruise before and our only cruise experience being a Star Clipper cruise (sail) in the Caribbean about 15 years ago. So, we are definite newbies.

We know we do want to go to Glacier Bay, so narrows it down to HAL, Princess and NCL. We would like a balcony cabin that sleeps four. Preferably, we want to go the very end of June/early July or late August. As far as our girls, they are rather shy and may not enjoy going to the kids clubs alone (since they are different ages), so we may not end up using that benefit much. I think we would prefer activities we could do as a family both on the ship and on land.

At this point here are our cruise options available to us for this summer (quad. veranda but not a suite ($$$) & Glacier Bay) ....

What one would you choose if you were us?? (or what would you choose for yourself if you prefer!)

Remember that Seattle will have much cheaper airfare (x4)!

HAL Oosterdam - RT Seattle (~$5,200 Cat VD)

1- At Sea - The little map show it really out in the sea!

2- Glacier Bay

3- Juenau 7a-8p

4- Sitka 8a-5p

5- Ketchikan 7a-1p

6- Victoria 6p-12p

HAL Zuiderdam - RT Vancouver (~$5,100 Cat VD)

1- At Sea (Inside Passage)

2- Tracy Arm 8a-12p / Juneau 2:30p-10:30p

3- Skagway 7a-4p

4- Glacier Bay

5- Ketchikan 10a-6pm

6- At Sea

Golden Princess - RT Seattle (~$5,700 Cat BC, $6,400 Cat. AD)

1- At Sea

2- Juneau 12p-10p

3- Skagway 6a-8p

4- Glacier Bay

5- Ketchikan 7a-12:30p

6- Victoria 7p-12a

Princess (Diamond, Island & Coral) - Vancouver -> Anchorage (~$6,100 Cat BC; $6,300-6,700 Cat AD)

1- At Sea

2- Ketchikan 6:30a-2p

3- Juneau 8a-9p

4- Skagway 7a-8:30p

5- Glacier Bay

6- College Fjord

Princess (Diamond, Island & Coral) - Anchorage -> Vancouver (~$6,200 Cat BC; $6,000-6,900 Cat AD)

1- Hubbard Glacier

2- Glacier Bay

3- Skagway 7a-8:30p

4- Juneau 6:30a-4p

5- Ketchikan 10a-6p

6- At Sea

I eliminated one NCL Seattle cruise because the port times looked bad, even to me!

Thanks so much for any insight, thoughts or comments you can give us!:)

For round trip I would choose either the HAL Oosterdam or the HAL Zuiderdam. The Osterdam has Sitka, which is always a favorite of so many posters on this board. However, it is a Seattle sailing which means you will miss the more scenic sailing you would get out of Vancouver. Also more chance to have rough seas with the Seattle sailing. The Zuiderdam leaves from Vancouver, so you will have the more scenic sailing. In place of Sitka, you get a beautiful sail down the Tracy Arm Fjord. I think you will have to decide if you would rather have the extra port or the extra sailing day. Also, you will have to decide how important the more scenic sailing from Vancover is to you.

For a one way I would choose the SB Princess option. You would get both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay. This is a great itinerary for those interested in seeing glaciers.

Good luck and let us know your decision.

At this point here are our cruise options available to us for this summer (quad. veranda but not a suite ($$$) & Glacier Bay) ....

What one would you choose if you were us?? (or what would you choose for yourself if you prefer!)

2- Glacier Bay

3- Juenau 7a-8p

4- Sitka 8a-5p

5- Ketchikan 7a-1p

6- Victoria 6p-12p

no due to rough seas and you can only do the gardens at night in victoria.. or dinner off the ship. time in jubneau ok but no skagway

3- Skagway 7a-4p

4- Glacier Bay

5- Ketchikan 10a-6pm

6- At Sea

not bad but what is open at night in juneau besides the tram

Golden Princess - RT Seattle (~$5,700 Cat BC, $6,400 Cat. AD)

1- At Sea

2- Juneau 12p-10p

3- Skagway 6a-8p

4- Glacier Bay

5- Ketchikan 7a-12:30p

6- Victoria 7p-12a

whatever seems worse thsn above

Princess (Diamond, Island & Coral) - Vancouver -> Anchorage (~$6,100 Cat BC; $6,300-6,700 Cat AD)

1- At Sea

3- Juneau 8a-9p

5- Glacier Bay

6- College Fjord

my favorite of all. enough time in all the ports

Princess (Diamond, Island & Coral) - Anchorage -> Vancouver (~$6,200 Cat BC; $6,000-6,900 Cat AD)

1- Hubbard Glacier

2- Glacier Bay

5- Ketchikan 10a-6p

6- At Sea

not enough time in juneau!~!!!

I eliminated one NCL Seattle cruise because the port times looked bad, even to me!

I loved juneau and 8 hours is ont enough so thati s why i picked the oen i did. idid SB on princess and wished i had goen NB. next cruise is celelbrity to see Seward.

whatever you do find money to add on time in Vancouver. lots to do in the city for all ages. princess has the adult wave pool- yes i used it. has kids in summer.

So you are open to both a one way and round trip Alaska cruise?? With the one way, can you at least add a few days to take advantage of being all the way there???

I have sailed all these routings, ports and glaciers. None are "bad" choices, but I suggest you find out about the ports and what your touring priorities are, THEN start looking at ships. You have some good options here- Sitka is a gem, plenty to see and do. All ports offer unique touring. FIND out what your group interest is first. Then select the ship that offers it.

Just a few comments if you decide to go the Princess route - if you intend to have all 4 of you in the same cabin, I would definitely go with a minisuite.

You may want to price out a balcony cabin with an inside across the hall for the 2 kids. This would give you 2 bathrooms which with 2 daughters may be worth it.

You have listed some good options - good luck in deciding.

So you are open to both a one way and round trip Alaska cruise?? With the one way, can you at least add a few days to take advantage of being all the way there???

I have sailed all these routings, ports and glaciers. None are "bad" choices, but I suggest you find out about the ports and what your touring priorities are, THEN start looking at ships. You have some good options here- Sitka is a gem, plenty to see and do. All ports offer unique touring. FIND out what your group interest is first. Then select the ship that offers it.

Pretty much exactly what I would say. We have been on all those ships or their sisters, and to all of those ports. Every one of those cruises would be a fabulous experience for you. It sort of narrows down to what YOU want to do most.

I am fascinated by the itin that includes both Hubbard AND Glacier Bay. If glaciers are your prime aim, that tends to increase your chances of getting good close up viewing and possibly calving.

Sitka is a lovely port. If you like wildlife, the Sea Otter Search there is wonderful.

An evening tour of Victoria can be very pretty. That stop is more to comply with the PSA than really for touring.

You can see some things that we have enjoyed in all those ports at

http://www.bully4.us/alaskaexcursions.html

and our full reviews of several cruises to Alaska at

http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Have a GREAT cruise!

Ellbon, please don't take this as an assult on you. I chose your response just to show the OP differences in peoples opinions. Both yours and mine are valid opinions and the OP will have to make their own decisons.

Actually, you can fly into Seattle and catch the train or bus to Vancouver as an option as opposed to an "International Flight" to Vancouver.

2- Glacier Bay

3- Juenau 7a-8p

4- Sitka 8a-5p

5- Ketchikan 7a-1p

6- Victoria 6p-12p

no due to rough seas and you can only do the gardens at night in victoria.. or dinner off the ship. time in jubneau ok but no skagway

I like this one because you visit Sitka. It is a beautiful little port where very few ships stop. Great for whale watch/sealife cruises, the Raptor Center which I'm sure the girls would love, the Archangel Dancers, Russian history, Tinglet Clan house, etc. My only down side, would be the short time in Ketchikan. I haven't been to Victoria yet, but I am considering a horse/carriage ride around Victoria and maybe a stop at China Town. There are other things to do here besides Bouchard Gardens.

3- Skagway 7a-4p

4- Glacier Bay

5- Ketchikan 10a-6pm

6- At Sea

not bad but what is open at night in juneau besides the tram

This is an interesting itinerary. I enjoyed cruising Tracy Arm, saw some wonderful "icebergs". And, actually, you have 7 - 8 hrs. in Juneau. People live in this port and they don't roll up the streets at 6:00 p.m. Actually, end of June and July it stays light until 10:00 (or later) and I'm sure the shops will stay open at least until 9:00 for the tourists. Then there is always (if it is a clear evening) at ride up the tram and dinner either at the crab buffet at the top of Mt. Robert or dinner at Twisted Fish when you get back down. You have plenty of time to explore Juneau, go out to Mendenhall, do a whale watch, etc. Plus, you get a full day in Ketchikan. Ketchikan is a wonderful town to walk, there are the totem parks and flights or cruises out to Misty Fjord National Park (bet the girls would prefer the flightseeing to the boat tour).

1- At Sea

3- Juneau 8a-9p

5- Glacier Bay

6- College Fjord

my favorite of all. enough time in all the ports

I don't like the early arrival in Ketchikan. Most of the town won't open until at least 8 or 9:00, so you need to find an early excursion so you can check out Creek Street at least before you need to get back to the ship. Plus, just my opinion, but I think Glacier Bay and College Fjord would seem a similar experience for the girls and the flight back from Anchorage is LONG!!!

1- Hubbard Glacier

2- Glacier Bay

5- Ketchikan 10a-6p

6- At Sea

not enough time in juneau!~!!!

Actually, you have 9 hours in Juneau. But, once again, you need to arrange excursions that have an early start. I'm not sure what time the MGT starts their busses running out to Mendenhall. Or, you could arrange an independent driver to start an excursion early for you. But, once again, you get a nice day in Ketchikan. Plus, you get Hubbard and Glacier Bay. And, you get the LONG flight to Anchorage out of the way and can relax on the rest of the trip.

I loved juneau and 8 hours is ont enough so thati s why i picked the oen i did. idid SB on princess and wished i had goen NB. next cruise is celelbrity to see Seward.

whatever you do find money to add on time in Vancouver. lots to do in the city for all ages. princess has the adult wave pool- yes i used it. has kids in summer.

Now, you have at least 2 differing opinions :D Have fun making your decison :eek:

Well, I've been looking at the excursions..

The dog sledding excursions looked really cool for all of us, preferably on the glacier (but that's more expensive). Also interested in the Tram in Juneau. Mike's rental car tour to Yukon looked very nice. We would enjoy kayaking and small boat touring to see sea animals which looks doable in Sitka and Katchikan. And of course seeing more glaciers the better! We would like to see some some cultural/village spots (Totem poles in Ketchikan and Russian churchs in Sitka). Ziplines are out.

Mike, I enjoyed your web pages they are a great summary and resource. Thanks for making them.

The port times that outside the 8a-8p time frame wouldn't do us too much good since our littler one would need to get to bed.

Here is my take so far the itineraries...

HAL RT Seattle

- possibility of rough seas/ not as good viewing the first day

- Shorter time in Ketchikan (7a-1p)

- Although Victoria is wonderful, I'm looking at this as a non-important stop, but doesn't really detract either

- Sikta (vs. Skagway)

- Cheaper airfare

HAL RT Vancouver

- Tracy Arm cruising

- Jueneau times not as good (2:30p - 10:30)

- Skagway (vs. Sikta)

- Inside passage cruising

So what do you guys prefer? Jueneau or Ketchikan? Sikta or Skagway? (this looks like a tough decision)

Then there is the Princess one way Cruises...

I think I like the idea of the Southbound the best. I was thinking north before I started reading this forum.

- Shorter plane flight home

- Hubbard glacier

- Down side is a shorter time in Juneau.

If it was the same itinerary between the cruise lines which one would you prefer? My husband leans toward HAL, but he has no experience and might be biased by the 'Love Boat' TV show (is there a connection with Princess?)

Thank again for your thoughts!:)

Now, you have at least 2 differing opinions :D Have fun making your decison :eek:

Mrs007: You make some great points and give the OP some valid things to consider about each itinerary. However, I have to disagree with you about the shops being open late in Juneau. We were in Juneau mid-June of 2008. After our Adventure Bound tour ended (about 6:45 p.m.) we wanted to do a little shopping before we boarded the ship. There were only a few stores open. I would like to think it was because of the cold, raw, rainy day. It seemed odd to us that very few stores remained open. Perhaps someone who has been there on a nicer day could comment as to whether or not our experience was the norm or the exception. From all we had read we had been expecting big crowds on the streets, but in reality, Juneau looked like a ghost town the evening we were there.

Just a few comments if you decide to go the Princess route - if you intend to have all 4 of you in the same cabin, I would definitely go with a minisuite.

You may want to price out a balcony cabin with an inside across the hall for the 2 kids. This would give you 2 bathrooms which with 2 daughters may be worth it.

I was thinking a Mini-Suite would be a wise choice as well. I really would like to do the 2 cabins (inside & balcony) but in the end I don't think my girls would sleep that far from us in a strange place. Adjoining rooms would be great but it would be at twice the price or giving up the balcony for an OV.

So what do you guys prefer? Jueneau or Ketchikan? Sikta or Skagway? (this looks like a tough decision)

Then there is the Princess one way Cruises...

I think I like the idea of the Southbound the best. I was thinking north before I started reading this forum.

- Shorter plane flight home

- Hubbard glacier

- Down side is a shorter time in Juneau.

If it was the same itinerary between the cruise lines which one would you prefer? My husband leans toward HAL, but he has no experience and might be biased by the 'Love Boat' TV show (is there a connection with Princess?)

Thank again for your thoughts!:)

I think you need to do a little more reading and decide what YOU want to see in Alaska. Everyone on this board has their own opinions as to what is better. Some prefer a Vancouver sailing. Some prefer Glacier Bay over Hubbard, but still others prefer Hubbard over Glacier. A very few like College Fjords best.

Although I haven't been to Sitka yet, from all I have read, I really want to get there one day. Having been to Skagway, I think small children might enjoy Sitka better. However, I am not speaking first hand. My conclusion is based on what I have read. We loved the 9 hour train ride/mini bus combo in Skagway, but I think it would be a very long day for an 8 year old. Of course, it depends on your children and I am sure some could handle it.

I had a glacier/scenery priority last year. I chose a Glacier Bay/College Fjords itinerary. However, with the newer intineraries out there now, I would not have chosen it. Since we were also looking to do a land tour, I probably would have gone with the itinerary that includes Hubbard and Glacier Bay. As mentioned, Glacier Bay and College Fjords are more similar in nature. Hubbard, although I have not been, is a much different experience than Glacier Bay, from all I have read and seen. As BQ already mentioned, the one way cruises are best for those who plan to spend additional time on land. I love the ports of the round trip out of Seattle you selected. The main drawback for me would have been the less scenic route and the chance for rougher seas. I have been seasick and it was not pretty, so Seattle was not something I would likely consider, at least not for a first trip to Alaska.

Personally, the difference in airfare was not a concern of ours. It is so expensive to go to Alaska and enjoy it. We went thinking it was likely our once in a lifetime trip to Alaska. I wanted to make sure I got to see those things that were a priority for me. We chose the itinerary that we liked best and just didn't worry about air. The bottom line would not have been much different flying into Seattle.

I know you are looking for answers. If it was me and I was wanting a one way, I would DEFINITELY choose the SB Princess that goes to Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier. If I wanted a round trip, I would choose the Vancouver Roundtrip wtih HAL that goes to Glacier Bay and Tracy Arm. However, you must know, my priorities are scenery and glaciers. I also do not have small children to travel with. I would still love to go back to Alaska and see Hubbard and Sitka. Not sure if it will ever be in the budget. However, from what I have seen, I don't think anyone is going to Hubbard and Sitka, at least not next year. I would also be wanting a Vancouver sailing. So, I will wait and watch and try to budget and hopefully get back to Alaska to see the things I missed.

As far as HAL vs. Princess, I have only been on HAL. I wouldn't let cruiseline determine my trip. I would choose the itinerary that you want. For many, including me, the ship was just the transportation. I did like the smaller HAL ship, especially for a first cruise. I love their Crow's nest lounge which is at the bow and offers panoramic viewing on both sides as well as forward. On those cold, raw, rainy days it is a great place to be to watch Alaska go by. I am not sure what Princess has to offer with viewing.

Good luck with your decision-making and please let us know what you decide. I have come to the conclusion that it is very difficult to find a cruise that includes everything I would want. Even the SB Princess that I like, does not allow enough time in Juneau to do the Adventure Bound tour of Tracy Arm. To me, the perfect cruise would be one that goes to GLacier Bay, Hubbard, and allows enough time in Juneau to do the Tracy Arm tour. The Adventure Bound tour was our favorite excursion while we were in Alaska. We liked it better than the Kenai Fjords tour and the shuttle into Denali. We were just in awe. Now, others would disagree with me and would have other preferences. That is why it is so important to read all you can. Eventually you will start realizing what it is in Alaska that YOU really want to see and do. Good luck!!!

Thanks for the great reply VBMo! Yes, I definitely do need to do more research on the ports and excursions but wanted to come back, give some initial feedback, and see if it help you answer the questions I posed.

I wish that I could say price was not a big concern but we did that last year, planning a once in a lifetime trip, but then could not afford it. It is amazing how fast things add-up when multiplying by 4! This year we are trying to be mindful of the price. Not a budget trip, but not no holds barred either. Perhaps I will go with my husband alone in another decade, or so.

BTW I really love the 14 day cruise aboard the HAL Amsterdam. It goes to every port for a full day. Not the best choice for a first family cruise - we may kill each other if we are in a small cabin that long!

Right now the SEA RT is looking good, except for the rough seas. I'm going to look more into the one way option on Princess (SB). The flight length from ANC may be a killer with kids. They are patient and calm girls but that may be over their limit.

Well back to research-

Excursions for Sika vs. Skagway, Juneau and Katchikan

Tracy Arm w/Cruise Ship

How rough is rough seas? (My 14yo may have issues)

Look more seriously at the Princes SB logistics/details

Airfare to SEA, YVR, SEA w/transfer to Vancouver, ANC w/return from YVR

Thanks for the great reply VBMo! Yes, I definitely do need to do more research on the ports and excursions but wanted to come back, give some initial feedback, and see if it help you answer the questions I posed.

I wish that I could say price was not a big concern but we did that last year, planning a once in a lifetime trip, but then could not afford it. It is amazing how fast things add-up when multiplying by 4! This year we are trying to be mindful of the price. Not a budget trip, but not no holds barred either. Perhaps I will go with my husband alone in another decade, or so.

BTW I really love the 14 day cruise aboard the HAL Amsterdam. It goes to every port for a full day. Not the best choice for a first family cruise - we may kill each other if we are in a small cabin that long!

Right now the SEA RT is looking good, except for the rough seas. I'm going to look more into the one way option on Princess (SB). The flight length from ANC may be a killer with kids. They are patient and calm girls but that may be over their limit.

Well back to research-

Excursions for Sika vs. Skagway, Juneau and Katchikan

Tracy Arm w/Cruise Ship

How rough is rough seas? (My 14yo may have issues)

Look more seriously at the Princes SB logistics/details

Airfare to SEA, YVR, SEA w/transfer to Vancouver, ANC w/return from YVR

Frankly, I find you way to early in the game to be recommending specific ships. Especially with you not knowing what route. That really needs to be determine first. I do suggest you find out about the ports, what they specifically offer for your group. http://www.sitka.org http://www.skagway.com http://www.traveljuneau.com http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

HAL and Princess are different. Although you don't have it as an option, a one way HAL is also a superb choice, and for me, gets the edge for Seward. But it does NOT matter, what I prefer, it matters what is important to you, and what your budget concerns are going to be.

Find these factors out first, before you get into deep planning, since you have, in the past, not been able to go?

Overall, round trip, Seattle, you need to be prepared for motion sickness, if prone. It is the roughest potential sailing of Alaska cruises. No way to predict what any particular cruise in the future will bring, but you do have a greater chance of rougher seas. I have seen plenty of sick passengers on all cruises. There are some excellent precautions to consider, consult your health care professional for advice.

>>To me, the perfect cruise would be one that goes to GLacier Bay, Hubbard, and allows enough time in Juneau to do the Tracy Arm tour.>>

HAL's 14 day cruise on Amsterdam goes to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard and has a 9 hour port stop in Juneau.

There are 8 scheduled cruises roundtrip Seattle so dates from May to Sept are included.

But I have a feeling your perfect cruise would also be Vancouver rather than Settle. There seems to be no way to include all wants. Something has to go.

After going to Alaska 4 times (3 included land touring and cruises and one was a 10 day independent land touring only) now, I think you need to remember that you can't see and do it all in one trip. We have seen and done different things each trip.

We have been to Juneau 3 times and haven't done the Adventure Bound tour of Tracy Arm yet and have still had a great time. Yes, I would definitely like to do that tour but thought we should do and see what there is to see around Juneau first before we take off on that all day tour up Tracy Arm.

Our third cruise was just this last August 28 - Sept. 9 and we finally went to Mendenhall Glacier. I felt so bad we had missed it the other two times that I wanted to make sure that we didn't miss it this time. After getting off the ship, we found a shuttle to Mendenhall for $7.00 each way per person which sounded really good. Mendenhall was absolutely gorgeous and well worth the trip. Had a nice meandering time there and then had a great fish and chips lunch at "Flight Deck" which we saw right off the main street on the water side of the street. Super good fish and chips and the people that ran it were very nice. We had a clear day so then we went up the Mt. Roberts Tramway. The view and scenery were breathtaking and I definitely think kids would enjoy the tram ride and the hiking up at the top of the tram. Frankly, by the time we did all of that I wouldn't have cared that our ship would be there to 8 - 9:00 p.m. That was a big enough day.

Going backwards, when in Juneau in June, 2005, our family all did different things. My husband and I went whale watching and looking around town which I wish we would have skipped to go to Mendenhall Glacier. My 20+ year old daughters went dog sledding via helicopter up to the top of the glaciers. One of my daughters is married and her and her husband went in a float plane over the glaciers before her dog sled/helicopter excursion and she said that the helicopter ride was by far better than the float plane excursion. They both enjoyed the dog sledding very much but said the whole thing (price was about $420.00 per person) was worth it because of the gorgeous scenery of the glaciers that the helicopter ride gave them.

Just this last cruise, when in Skagway we rented a car and drove up the Klondike highway as far as Emerald Lake and really enjoyed doing that at our own pace rather than being part of a tour group. We also stopped at Caribou crossing and saw the husky dogs and puppies. After the drive we had time to shop around Skagway. Skagway has nice shops - just too many jewelry stores which of course you don't have to visit all of them.

We have enjoyed going the end of May, the second and third weeks of June and now the end of August and beginning of Sept. For going to Denali, as we did this last trip, the scenery was especially beautiful due the all the fall colors. So we really liked going at this time. Our whole trip was scheduled to have rain and out of the 12 days we only had a small amount of rain one evening. So don't always be scared off by the weather forecast either.

As for sailing north or south bound, it is a personal preference and has been widely discussed on this board. My personal preference is southbound as I like doing the land touring first and then getting on the ship to sail southbound. When you are doing the land touring you are changing places to stay every night or two and then you get on the ship and don't have to unpack for 7 nights. Also, now that I just did the northbound route for the first time this last trip, I felt we saw more of the inside passage during the day light when we sailed southbound.

In looking at HAL's Amterdam itinerary, it looks good for people that have been to Alaska before but not as good for first timers (in my opinion only), cause of some of the port times. I would love to take it just to be on the ship for 14 days but then again maybe I would prefer a back to back out of Vancouver cause I don't think I would care for sailing out of Seattle due to the rougher seas I have read about. You also miss more of the inside passage sailing out of Seattle.

Out of your choices you have listed, I agree with the previous poster that I would choose your Princess southbound trip. Obviously, I do like sailing southbound better and all of those Princess ships are good and have good ratings. Sounds really good having Hubbard glacier and Glacier bay all in one cruise. Surprised they are doing that.

I have wanted to do so many varied things and just had to realize that with the vastness of Alaska that you can't possibly see and do all you like in one trip. You must pick all your priorities for this trip and do those.

Just a note, may have been mentioned and I just missed it in my skimming posts.

Easy and relative inexpensive transfers are available between Seattle and Vancouver if you find a Vancouver itinerary preferable. Our favorite is Amtrak north to Vancouver from Seattle (leaves early, must overnight in Seattle but is best to fly in before departure day anyway), car rental south back to Seattle post-cruise. Some rental agencies do not charge a one-way drop fee.

We have been continuing to read and ponder. I'm currently looking at this from the excursion perspective as you have suggested.

A couple questions related to port times...

If a ship has a port time of say, 9a - 5pm, how much time does that actually give you on land? Do you have to factor much time for leaving and getting back on the ship as well as travel to the excursion?

Specifically if we want to go on a Helicopter/dog sled tour and ride the Tram in Juneau, plus have a meal, how much port time would we need? (The Heli/dog tour was rated as 3 hours in the catalogue.) Should we book this through the cruise line?

We have been continuing to read and ponder. I'm currently looking at this from the excursion perspective as you have suggested.

A couple questions related to port times...

If a ship has a port time of say, 9a - 5pm, how much time does that actually give you on land? Do you have to factor much time for leaving and getting back on the ship as well as travel to the excursion?

Specifically if we want to go on a Helicopter/dog sled tour and ride the Tram in Juneau, plus have a meal, how much port time would we need? (The Heli/dog tour was rated as 3 hours in the catalogue.) Should we book this through the cruise line?

You have to be back on board 1/2 hour prior to the posted time.

You have time for your three options with that port time. It doesn't matter who you book with, with the "time" question. There are 4 helicopter vendor's 3 have ship contracts. There can be some savings booking direct.

HAL and Princess are different.

Could you give me a general idea of how they are different?

Although you don't have it as an option, a one way HAL is also a superb choice, and for me, gets the edge for Seward. But it does NOT matter, what I prefer, it matters what is important to you, and what your budget concerns are going to be.

That was our initial impulse to choose the HAL one way NB. There was no availability for a quad verandah room on the one way HAL cruises. Later I was to find out that was because there are NO quad verandah rooms on those boats. I wasn't sure we were willing to go to an OV room (A deck on the one cruise we priced).

Find these factors out first, before you get into deep planning, since you have, in the past, not been able to go?

The trip we were planning to take last year was our dream trip. It was sailing with Lindblad expeditions on one of their small boats for a 8 day cruise from Juneau to Sikta. It was such a small boat with many naturalists onboard that we really didn't have to plan excursions. They had zodiacs and kayaks onboard and were small enough to begin with that it was, in itself, an excursion. However, all that comes with a price, after last fall's drop in the economy we thought it wiser not to go, and shelved the idea of Alaska (my husband was heartbroken). Now, we decided we could go to Alaska but with scaled back plans (and price).

Overall, round trip, Seattle, you need to be prepared for motion sickness, if prone. It is the roughest potential sailing of Alaska cruises. No way to predict what any particular cruise in the future will bring, but you do have a greater chance of rougher seas. I have seen plenty of sick passengers on all cruises. There are some excellent precautions to consider, consult your health care professional for advice.

Thanks. It is really hard to predict how my 14 yo will do. At least my husband and I have gone on the Star Clipper (sail) and didn't have any issues (OK I did a little one night but it was really rocking).

Archived