Why not use plastic water bottles instead of buying rum runners?

eggypann

You will never get the shampoo taste out of those bottles.

Rum Runners have always worked well for us.

:eek: LOL I meant buy the empty ones and use them before you put anything else in them. These are the ones they sell to put your own shampoo in.

Like these

Rum Runners won't leak.

This would b e my response as well

How about those little shampoo bottles they sell in places like bad bath and beyond. The little carry on 3 ox bottles if you dont need that much booze :)

Too small, the rumrunners come in larger sizes, up to 32 oz.

You will never get the shampoo taste out of those bottles.

Blech! Same with mouthwash bottles

Rum Runners have always worked well for us.

We've used them a couple of times with good results. Sometimes we just buy onboard if we are flying.

If you are trying to carry plastic bottles through security (not checked) they mey check to see that they are sealed and/or ask you to open them to make sure they are water. I've only seen this strict of precaution during spring break, but one one cruise, RCCL had a waiter down by security who was in charge of smelling every suspicious container trying to be carried through the security line. Believe me when I say they had a whole cart of confiscated booze after just a few hours (ship was delayed) ....

When we sailed out of Tampa last Jan. We were at the store to buy our bottles of wine, and we came across packages of "port-a-shots" They are individual plastic baggies of Vodka or Rum. We put them in our suitcases and in our toiletries bags. Everytime we wanted to add a shot to our drinks we just cut one open and poured it in.;) It worked out really well. I hope I can find them again in San Juan.:D

When we sailed out of Tampa last Jan. We were at the store to buy our bottles of wine, and we came across packages of "port-a-shots" They are individual plastic baggies of Vodka or Rum. We put them in our suitcases and in our toiletries bags. Everytime we wanted to add a shot to our drinks we just cut one open and poured it in.;) It worked out really well. I hope I can find them again in San Juan.:D

What a great idea: http://www.portashots.com/Index2.php

I've been thinking about buying rum runners but then wondered why I couldn't just use plastic water or soda bottles instead of spending the money. Any input??
Or skip the bottle-changing chore and just buy a plastic "travel bottle" at the liquor store. They have a great selection of individual and small bottles made of plastic.

Small bottles are a good idea because you're sure to be able to finish the whole bottle during the cruise.

Or go to a lounge, sit down like an adult person on vacation and order a drink. Enjoy the music, the people watching, the service of having a bartender/steward serve you. Enjoy vacation.

Sorry, JMHO........

Or go to a lounge, sit down like an adult person on vacation and order a drink. Enjoy the music, the people watching, the service of having a bartender/steward serve you. Enjoy vacation.

Sorry, JMHO........

That's how I do it; I'm on vacation and having someone bring me a drink for a few extra dollars is all part of the fun:)

Has anyone purchased those shot packs and tried to 'sneak' them on the cruise? Are these the same as rum runners? Might be a cute stocking stuffer for our cruisers. We still buy booze and beer onboard anyway. Worst case scenario? slap on the wrist and they throw it out if our bags are searched???

I went on TSA site to see if you can 311 these in the carryons. http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

The shots would have to be individually labeled showing how many ounces each shot is for you to be able to put them into a 311 bag. You would not be able to carry that many of them due to the quart size restriction of the 311 bag.

Another consideration would be the quality of the alcohol contained in those shots. While I don't drink top shelf liquor all the time, I also don't like grain alcohol either. I would see if you can by them individually and try them out first and see if the liquor is actually drinkable.

Thanks for all the input. I do plan to orders LOTS of drinks and give Carnival lots of money for them - BUT would also like to have a few drinks in my cabin - like when I'm getting ready for dinner. I'm down on the bottom deck so am not going to run back and forth everytime I want a drink.

My fourth cruise is on this Saturday and I've got my Listerine bottle filled with my favorite Bacardi Rum. Three cruises and no questions asked. It's still in it's original packaging. If the screeners are as good at recognizing images on the x-ray then they'll know it's just mouthwash, if they open my bags they'll see an un-opened, completely packaged bottle and not give it a second look.

Lasts almost exactly 7 or 8 days and then you toss the bottle in the trash and make that much more room for souvenirs.

Thanks for all the input. I do plan to orders LOTS of drinks and give Carnival lots of money for them - BUT would also like to have a few drinks in my cabin - like when I'm getting ready for dinner. I'm down on the bottom deck so am not going to run back and forth everytime I want a drink.

:) Think Room Service.

Listerine Bottle........ And you actually got all the mouthwash taste out of it? :rolleyes: Good for you.

Archived