~~Oasis 12/1 - 12/4 Labadee Cruise Notes

Before reading, these are just notes of what our four day Labadee Cruise is like, it’s not a review and I haven’t spell/grammar checked because I don’t have time.

Of note, I was worried that things would go wrong or there would be crowds everywhere but everything has been quite comparable to all of our other cruises.

New Ship Smell …Seriously, my allergies are really bothering me, every carpet, couch and chair is brand new with plenty of fibers!! But that’s a good thing – everything is so beautiful!

We’re in a Royal Family Suite for just this four day cruise. We arrived at 12noon, (a three hour drive over from Sarasota) at the curb we had to fill out new luggage tags (for 7 people) because I upgraded our room during the last week to this suite (many opened at the last minute and some people got some suite upgrades and some suites are empty) (there is a sign at the guest relations saying this sailing is full and no upgrades can be given)

There is a separate entrance for just suites at the pier. You open the doors and someone is there greeting you- straight to x-ray and then a few steps away to check in counters. (we received a back-sack at check in for inaugural ) At the counters, it was the regular stuff of check in, set sail pass, health voucher, credit card and passports except now they take your photo at check in for your sea pass (BTW – it seems like your computer photo taken at boarding is used a lot more to validate who you are)

We took our photos and walked upstairs to the waiting area – it was empty but we found ourselves sitting in the waiting area anyways. And there is a play place thing that my kids were playing on in the back corner. So I gathered everyone and we were on ship after a climb up the ramp.

The first impression was amazing, we entered on the Promenade. After just looking around we made it up to our room. There is a new main switch in every room that runs the lights and air that was shut off but we soon figured it out (right by the door). Our suite is really impressive! There are 7 of us in here, my friends have the second bedroom & bathroom and my husband and I have the master bedroom which is a separate room all together with a bathroom (JS size) , a vanity, a flat screen and separate balcony door. The second bedroom has its own vanity, flat screen TV, closet and 2 pull downs/2 single beds. The living room has a flat screen, pull out couch and another 2 full closets. Enough about that!

The first day we walked everywhere. Our muster was right in front of rising tide. No life jackets, 2 big video screens came out of the ceiling with a safety video, also our sea pass cards were scanned at muster instead of just being checked off the list. So then we were up to the deck for sail away with the critters. WOW, it was a big group! I didn’t see much (I’ve never seen so many people on deck for sail away, but this was exciting. The fire boats were shooting water, people were screaming and waving I think we were trying to get inletcams attention!

After that, Mark and I went down to Blaze where the Diamond Event was being held (too many members for the Diamond Lounge – I haven’t even gone by there yet), then we went to dinner. A big mix up on our sea pass about the times of our seating but no worries, A lot of critters are seated together, very cool Thanks to Jim! Dinner the first night was a little slow, they are working on a new system and the servers are still trying to find stuff but nothing unusual to other cruises.

Mark and I had reservations at 150 for 9:30 that I cancelled. Too bad, I will try it again. It was too late to eat, normally we would have napped and then gone out but no nap- we were exhausted. Mark went to the Pub Crawl/Poker Run for critters, he won 8 dollars, I think only a few people showed. My 14 DD has spent all of her time in Fuel, My 12 year old DS has been flow riding like crazy and my 12 year old DS is just running the ship. Guess what? Someone told me there are only 100 kids on ship and 30 of them are babies!! These kids have the whole place to themselves! Quest was at midnight. Strange for the first night, but our group won. Ken Rush is our cruise director. I really like him but one thing you many not know is he’s great with kids!

The first at sea day we didn’t leave our room until 10:30 for a Cruise Critic M&M but that was a bit confusing and since it was un-officially official the Royal staff didn’t show(?) because of a conflict schedule but they rescheduled for 5:30. So we did our next planned activity – CABIN CRAWL!! It took about an hour and a half to see about 15 cabins. OS, RFS, JS, JS accessible, Central Park, Boardwalk balcony, inside interior (very nice with a full couch) , promenade, balcony – lots of fun, an updated look from what I’m used too. Next, lunch in the dining room, The salad bar was a bit different – they didn’t mix up the salads in the end in those metal bowls but not big deal. More ship exploring – there is way too much to see in just four days! We then went back to Dazzles for 2nd Meet & mingle. We were all presented with an Oasis book of Art and Inaugural lanyards. Second night is always formal night and our servers sang happy birthday for our two new 50 year olds!!

Quickly off to the headliner show, Scott Record. He was great, I was glad that they stepped it up a bit for us. Afterwards, we took a chance on getting into the ice show, at 10 minutes to call they open all seats to non reservations. At the front they scan your sea pass card if you have or don’t have reservations (and your photo pops up on the hand held scanners). The ice show was wonderful! I’m not a cheerleader but I really have to say it feels like the entertainment is really kicked up. Besides some great stunts, they had a special guest artist (like the jugglers on the other ice shows) that had an illuminated table that she told a story in sand art. I’ve never seen anything like that. (I should tell you all that I have season Broadway tickets and I’ve also seen almost all of the shows in Vegas, normally I don’t even attend the shows on board.)

Not that I planned this but I had taken my blanket and a pillow outside on the balcony that night and I wound up sleeping out there the whole night! (Great for my sinuses.) I woke up to the blazing heat of sunrise approaching Labadee Pier. YES, we docked!! They had quite a celebration today. A marching band , dancers all day and PLENTY of reporters and dignitaries everywhere. We had tickets to Dragon Coaster ($25 for 2 rides - $15 one ride & $35 all day) at 10:15 so we rushed over there when really we could have gone anytime and avoided a big line. But it was fun and worth it with the new price structure. On Wednesday I reserved a cabana (S1, SHADY, but not by the water) for $150 through the concierge lounge, different prices for different locations. It was nice since we’re with a lot of friends but if it was just the two of us I might not have done it. We had a waiter, that brought drinks & 2 mats and whatever we would have asked for during the day. The suite guests now have barefoot beach to them selves (somewhat, it seems easy to get around that). The buffet today was extra special for the Labadee Extravaganza – including Lobster tails. Our group also did the zip line (my second time) it ran a little long on time which annoyed me but it was full all day. We walked back to the ship, no waiting in line since no one was waiting for tenders.

I had reservations for a 3:30 show of Hairspray that the ship rescheduled to 4:30 so everyone could enjoy Labadee a little longer – which we did. Hairspray was just like seeing a real show on Broadway, I was really impressed with all of the performers and sets. We also got to see the first full show of Oasis of Dreams tonight in the Aqua theatre. They have been working on getting it all together and WOW! Although it was shorter than a Cirque du Soliet, it was again great, just like the real thing. (missing the live music) but it was the first one I’ve seen outside on a moving ship.

Some quick points –

This month is Diamond month. All of the Diamond members received big (double tie tac) pins to wear this week, and heavier Diamond Members ink pens. There is also on onboard booking special up to 3 times onboard credit ($600)

Our inaugural gifts have been beach towels for everyone, a wicker bag that says Oasis of the Seas, and the back sack that we got when we boarded.

Tomorrow is our last sea day. I still haven’t seen the spa or gym, nor have I had one drink in the concierge lounge or eaten a meal in there (they have menus now, including omelets to order in the morning) and I’ve only walked in Central Park one time so I have lots to do. We have lunch reservations at Giovannis which is cool.

I have to say that I just didn’t think I would like it but I love it. I was also expecting not to feel like we’re on a ship but we do. I don’t know if its because the ship is just so big that the wind blows around it like a 20 story building or what. There are so many things to do, we are trying to decide if we’re coming back Labor Day for another week or wait for Allure.

I don’t know if I’ll be back tomorrow night or not but for sure when we get home Saturday. There’s no following the schedule and to be honest I haven’t even been reading our compasses everyday

Marcia - Thanks for posting. I know many people have been waiting to hear more about the ship and specifically the December Diamond event. Sounds like you are having a wonderful (if tiring) time. I am looking forward to reading more when you get home tomorrow.

Thanks for the positive replies - I've just put 2 laundry loads in...

I'm sure I'll think of more things to say but here are some more thoughts & stories..

On the last sea day, I went with my friends to Johnny Rockets for breakfast - I had a 2 egg breakfast (I would say it was not as good as windjammer) and my friend had an egg sandwhich that she liked but she didn't really have anything to compare it too. Truthfully, I was disappointed! I love Johnny Rockets (chicken club on sourdough and hot fries with ranch) but I was disappointed. We also sampled the donuts - they were big with different flavors (like pistaccio) but it was OK.

Next was the welcome back event - we filled the whole theater! They showed a video by STX "log book" of Oasis, everyone should see it if you come across it. The captain was there with many other staff talking about just how long it took to get everything together and you almost can't believe you're sitting right there in the finished project.

Then came my lunch reservations at Giovannis. The food was WONDERFUL!! I didn't hear anyone say anything but that out of anyone who ate there. DO NOT MISS IT!! I had meat lasagna with the fresh noodles - the antipasta was awesome (they have this old fashioned meat shaver in the middle of the restaurant that they hand crank the proscuitto for every order) - we did reserve online and I was presented with a zero bill but I saw $30 on my seapass this morning but I didn't check into it, we were already leaving so I didn't bother it. Also, when I booked the reservation online under one room number then we moved, it was still under the other room number so maybe those lucky 2 got an invite to lunch. - that also makes me mention that there was SO MUCH confusion with all of the shows and multiple reservations that everyone made online, I didn't realize until the last day that you can check all of your schedules on the interactive TV in your stateroom and everyone on ship seemed to be able to look up all of your stuff.

Earlier I mentioned that we didn't go to 150, I talked to Bajathree who went and said everything was excellent but it was a four hour process with wines (unlimited it sounded) - we would have never made it through 4 hours. the ship in general was totally overwhelming with a different feel in especially in Central Park, dressy and hip to say the least - International, South Beach, New York, Vegas, "resort" all combined. Extremely appealing to non cruiser types (unlike MOI , with my skorts and khakis!! LOL , it was really enjoyable and fresh actually)

ONE THING that I'm soo upset we missed out on was lunch or breakfast at Park View Cafe. We noticed they had the salads in the mixing bowls that we were used to in the dining room, they had Pannis, deli style meals and desserts YUM!! I will spend a lot more time there on my next visit.

We decided to go to the CL lounge for a drink which I hadn't done yet - we had 2 pretty fast and went back to the Diamond Event, I had more fun there the whole week with my friends and the drinks were full bar. Finlandia in CL , Smirnoff in Diamond Event - Jack Daniels in both and same beer choices, food and servers in both. I will say that the few times I went into CL the servers were willing to get anything you needed more like waiters and waitresses, I'm bummed that we didn't eat there but probably would have spent more time CL if we had it. I talked to the Concierge at length telling him I'd be posting every detail - he laughed! he kept telling me about Diamond Plus benefits and I kept telling him I was a SUITE GUEST!! A few gripes about the suites that I was too busy to care about - there weren't dining room menus in our room for order but they will be they just hadn't done it yet, there wasn't a stereo system yet and I didn't get the at sea treats(strawberries or cheese plates) but I really didn't care, we were too busy. The staff worked themselves to death to make it seem like they've been on Oasis for years so the things they did do were with no complaints. As time continues< I'm sure all of this will be up and running in no time. Next time, I would have liked to have had $1 & $5's for tipping in Diamond Lounge to the servers, I can never remember to bring that.

We skipped dinner in the MDR that night( I always prepay my tips) and just ate sandwhiches at Cafe Promanade (Park View closes at 6pm) - there is no shortage on food anywhere on ship. (Starbucks is at Cafe Promande now but Seattles best was everywhere else, I didn't really give it any thought but I've seen it mentioned already). I wanted to get a cupcake but I wasn't in the mood for anything that sweet.

My boys had reserved a Flowrider lesson at 9pm along with my friends. ($60 per individual , open sign ups and $300 per hour if you want it all to yourself) WOW, the boys were all over that, they were stand up surfing on the "snowboard" type board, they were too small for the long boards. but they had the last 3 or 4 days of practice, not many people were out there this week compared to what I saw on Liberty .

At 10, time to pack. I think we grew clothes. ONE BEWARE!! my son ran and got towels for Labadee at the pool and they scanned his seapass for 6 towels, we didn't use them at Labadee and I asked the stateroom attendant to turn them in for us the next day and he said its not like that anymore, the towels have to be returned at the same place and credited to your seapass. TOO Late - I returned home with 4 brand new Royal Caribbean towels (charged for 6) , oh well atleast they were new. The pool deck kiosk closed at 10pm and there was no where else to return them.

I purchased the following items on the last day: an Inaugural Oasis Labadee Poster for $39.99, I could actually get away with framing it and putting it in my TV room because of the colors, YAY!

I got my 2 blue coffee mugs (Inaugural Oasis), a Oasis Hairspray shirt for my daughter, and tshirts for the boys.

the photos are not all up on display (some are - like our zip line ones) most of them are not printed until you buy them through the kiosks with touch screens sorted by your cabin number...face recognition? I bought 7 at $20 each for 8X10 gasp but they were great photos so I got them. My son had to take the receipt this morning to pick up the package of what I had paid for the night before.

I didn't get to Seafood Shack - the boardwalk was a lot more quiet than I was expecting but again, there was only 50 to 70 kids on ship. My son loved Candy Beach, candy was ...brace yourselves $11.99 per pound.

From the pool deck, you can’t really tell how much higher up you are, feels just like a regular ship with the breeze and view. From where the zip line ends, if you’re standing around the top of the boardwalk cabin and look out the back, you get a view that is breath taking of the aqua theatre and the wake of the ship. It’s hard to describe but you’re looking down and out the back of the ship straight to the water.

I used my laptop in our cabin with the wireless package, $10 off and .42 per minute. My cell phone was on the whole time (WMS network)

If I think of anything, I'll post it. If I can answer any questions let me know.

Overall, I think I really liked the ship. the layout did not make it seem that big ( I actually have only done Freedom class once because I thought it was too big) you can take the elevators to any entrance of any "neighborhood" then everything you want to do is right there. The promande feel 2 times as big as the other ones (we didn't do Rising Tide, if I had more time I would - full bar though, I had heard it was just champange and martinis) - I also really liked the interactive screens listing all the compasses. I wish I would have eaten at the Solarium.

Can't BELIEVE I'm saying this... but its gona be hard to go back to the other ships!! :o:o:o (but I will)

Whoa! I'm out of breath just reading this! Sure sounds like you had a blast!

Glad to read you liked the inside cabin you saw (since that's how I'm affording this cruise, but had to get on Oasis ASAP--48 days!). The one dinner reservation I made was Giovanni's so I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Did you eat inside or outside? Should I try to get an outdoor table (it will be dark/nighttime and might be nice in Central Park, or is the inside really nice?).

Did they do CC party in Dazzles? Was it nice?

Glad you liked Hairspray too. I saw it on Broadway 3 weeks after its' premiere and loved it and of course saw the movie, but I'm really interested to see how they handle it on the ship.

Hoping they have good stuff in gift shop. I really want an Oasis hoodie.

Marcia, thanks for the great time.

We enjoyed hanging with your family all cruise long.....

be sure to check the Dec 1 r/c.......I did something!

ttys

jon

I just HAVE to ask.... did you really do all of these cruises????? You definitely have the longest list of cruises that I've ever seen! Are they all short ones or longer? You must be a quadruple Diamond! We're new to RCL - only on Carnival - 5 times in last 2 years (even the new Dream to the Grand Med - really awesome). We're going on the OASIS next Saturday for the 7-day Carib. cruise. We're sooooooo excited... counting the minutes. Great for you to have done (and to do) so many cruises. We're hooked and will try to catch up!

Chuck & Phyllis

Living in Paradise!

Marcia, what a great job you did with your posts. It was great sailing with you and Mark.

I am so glad it all worked out and the 2 of you did not have to cancel..

You did an awesome job with the birthday decorations for the 2 birthday cruisers.

This month is Diamond month. All of the Diamond members received big (double tie tac) pins to wear this week, and heavier Diamond Members ink pens. There is also on onboard booking special up to 3 times onboard credit ($600)

Marcia, glad you had such a great a time and were pleasantly surprised! I do have a few questions though. Can you tell me how the the booking special works? Is it the normal onboard credit(dependent by the number of days in the cruise) multiplied by 3 or is it according to what type of cabin is booked? Also, is the special only if you book on the Oasis or does it count if you book while on any ship sailing in December? Finally, one more question... does this count on all sailings or just specific ones? Thanks a lot!

Marcia,

Sorry we missed meeting you and your family. We were at both M&M's in Dazzles. We did not participate in most of the Critter activities. Had other friends with us and there's just not enough time to do it all in four days, as you found out!

We were at the solarium for lunch and it was very good. Give it a try next time on Oasis or Allure.

Speaking of Allure, we had some scheduling issues and changed our Allure to Sept. 11, 2011. Actually re-scheduled on board Oasis and got the Diamond extra deal.

So glad to see that Mark is doing fine and was able to make the trip.

Happy Holidays!

Rick and Deirdra

Marcia, glad you had such a great a time and were pleasantly surprised! I do have a few questions though. Can you tell me how the the booking special works? Is it the normal onboard credit(dependent by the number of days in the cruise) multiplied by 3 or is it according to what type of cabin is booked? Also, is the special only if you book on the Oasis or does it count if you book while on any ship sailing in December? Finally, one more question... does this count on all sailings or just specific ones? Thanks a lot!

I am also interested in this info. We are sailing in two weeks and already one of the cruises that I am interested in went up in price since yesterday. Thanks

Whoa! I'm out of breath just reading this! Sure sounds like you had a blast!

Glad to read you liked the inside cabin you saw (since that's how I'm affording this cruise, but had to get on Oasis ASAP--48 days!). The one dinner reservation I made was Giovanni's so I'm glad you enjoyed it so much. Did you eat inside or outside? Should I try to get an outdoor table (it will be dark/nighttime and might be nice in Central Park, or is the inside really nice?). we were inside, outside could have been a little warm since it was 12noon but there were umbrellas - it didn't fill up right away so you should be able to do which ever you pick.

Did they do CC party in Dazzles? Was it nice? YES! I wish we would have gone there atleast one night - the CC party was just the same, but I did like it better there than viking crown.

Glad you liked Hairspray too. I saw it on Broadway 3 weeks after its' premiere and loved it and of course saw the movie, but I'm really interested to see how they handle it on the ship. they did an awesome job, it was better than a 3rd company production which we would sometimes get in our town at theatre

Hoping they have good stuff in gift shop. I really want an Oasis hoodie.

They had an Oasis hoodie, black neck zip up and a yellow or blue (really pretty ) sweat jacket:)

Awesome posts on your time on Oasis. Thanks so much! :) Very happy to hear you liked Giovanni's so much. Seems like this will be a bargain considering the price and how good you say the food is. Can't wait to try it for myself...48 days! :)

Marcia, thanks for the great time.

We enjoyed hanging with your family all cruise long.....

be sure to check the Dec 1 r/c.......I did something! I checked ;) !

ttys

jon

The RS for Allure inaugural is $25,000!! is that what you're thinking ???

Please tell me what a health voucher is . Is this required on all cruises. I have passport but didn't know about this.

They make all passengers fill out a short form (its on a half sheet of paper) saying that you haven't had a stomach virus or temperature in the last 72 hours and sign it.

I just HAVE to ask.... did you really do all of these cruises????? You definitely have the longest list of cruises that I've ever seen! Are they all short ones or longer? You must be a quadruple Diamond! We're new to RCL - only on Carnival - 5 times in last 2 years (even the new Dream to the Grand Med - really awesome). We're going on the OASIS next Saturday for the 7-day Carib. cruise. We're sooooooo excited... counting the minutes. Great for you to have done (and to do) so many cruises. We're hooked and will try to catch up!

Chuck & Phyllis

Living in Paradise!

Yes, hes done them all! I wish he would adopt my family;)

Archived