Conversation with Princess Rep

kywildcatfanone

Hi folks,

I called Princess yesterday to inquire about pricing on a upcoming cruise in March that we are interested in. I had heard people on here say that sometimes they get a better price by calling than princess.com, so I thought I would check it out.

The rep gave me the same price I was seeing online (for an inside cabin), asked me if I wanted to book it, and I said I would wait to see if the price dropped any more. She said that if the price dropped, even after final payment, I could call in and get the difference refunded to me. I repeated it back to her to make sure I understood her correctly, because I have heard lots of folks on here say Princess doesn't do that, unless I am misunderstanding something. She reiterated to me that was the case. I didn't book while on the phone with her, but might call back today, have that same conversation with a different rep, and if I get the same answer, go ahead and book.

Mike

The exception is flash specials which are not advertised on princess.com and Princess reps will not quote you flash specials. So technically, if the price goes down on princess.com, they will reduce it.

You need to go through a TA for flash specials. This is where the majority of after final payment prices are drastically reduced.

Or - the other exception is last minute specials that target certain Capt Circle numbers (those who are not booked on the trip). Since you will be booked, you will specifically not receive these specials and technically - only those who receive the email are eligible to receive it.

Well I don't know whether you would call this a 'Flash' or not.

I called Princess to see if there was a reduction on one of my cruises.I can only see the Canadian site and I book USD.

There was not a reduction on my cabin but cabins one step highter where on special cheaper than the price I am paying with an extra $100 ship board credit.

I went for it and noticed it is no longer available.

Now would you call that a 'Flash' ?

Well I don't know whether you would call this a 'Flash' or not.

I called Princess to see if there was a reduction on one of my cruises.I can only see the Canadian site and I book USD.

There was not a reduction on my cabin but cabins one step highter where on special cheaper than the price I am paying with an extra $100 ship board credit.

I went for it and noticed it is no longer available.

Now would you call that a 'Flash' ?

You called Princess itself, and they offered OBC? I didn't know they did that. I think I need to call back and see what options I have for my March cruise...

Mike

You called Princess itself, and they offered OBC? I didn't know they did that. I think I need to call back and see what options I have for my March cruise...

Mike

There are alot of cruises that don't have special deals on them at all like the cruise I am taking next September.

Think I was just lucky that the 'Special 'Flash' was on this other cruise on that day.

As everyone else states you must check all the time...These Specials come and go in a flash, hence the name.

OK, so I called back today, and got the same answer, so now I'm comfortable that if there is a price drop, I could call and receive the difference.

Now the question I have to decide is whether to book with Princess or a online TA who is matching the same price as Princess but giving $50 in OBC. I asked them about the price reduction, and he mentioned if before final payment. So, do I book with Princess and hope the price drops anytime up until sailing, or go with the TA, take the $50 OBC and be happy....

Mike

OK, so I called back today, and got the same answer, so now I'm comfortable that if there is a price drop, I could call and receive the difference.

Now the question I have to decide is whether to book with Princess or a online TA who is matching the same price as Princess but giving $50 in OBC. I asked them about the price reduction, and he mentioned if before final payment. So, do I book with Princess and hope the price drops anytime up until sailing, or go with the TA, take the $50 OBC and be happy....

Mike

If the TA is giving you the exact same price as Princess, I would continue to search for a discount TA. I have never been given the same price from my TA as with Princess, it is always discounted at least 10%, PLUS we usually get shipboard credit on top of the discount.

Also, check with the TA you are thinking of using to make sure they don't charge fees for any changes (including dropping the price for you, should one occur).

If the TA is giving you the exact same price as Princess, I would continue to search for a discount TA. I have never been given the same price from my TA as with Princess, it is always discounted at least 10%, PLUS we usually get shipboard credit on top of the discount.

Also, check with the TA you are thinking of using to make sure they don't charge fees for any changes (including dropping the price for you, should one occur).

Sorry, but this leaves a very inaccurate impression.

Let us say a cruise fare is $290 + port of $159 + taxes of $70.76 for a total of $519.76 per person. The is no way that ANY travel agent can give you 10% ($52) off that without dipping into his/her own pocket. Also in this case no agent could give you even 10% off the cruise plus port of $449 ($45). Further, with any discounted quote, any SBC credit you get is from Princess as part of a PROMO group and not from the TA's pocket.

Remember also, when you book with an agency that cuts their commission to the bone, from a service point of view, you will get what you pay for.

Let us say a cruise fare is $290 + port of $159 + taxes of $70.76 for a total of $519.76 per person. The is no way that ANY travel agent can give you 10% ($52) off that without dipping into his/her own pocket. Also in this case no agent could give you even 10% off the cruise plus port of $449 ($45). Further, with any discounted quote, any SBC credit you get is from Princess as part of a PROMO group and not from the TA's pocket.

Remember also, when you book with an agency that cuts their commission to the bone, from a service point of view, you will get what you pay for.

You are right - discounting comes off of the commissionable fare, not taxes and fees which agents do not receive commission off of. Toto is correct in what she is saying but just left off "discounting off of the commissionable cruise fare part" which many of us know what she means.

There are agents out there who do heavily discount and do provide great customer service. I do use an agent who does heavily discount but have also seen very cheap cruise fares such as in Alaska where taxes and fees are more then the cruise fare portion and as I would expect, the discount (amount not necessarily percent) is less compared to places where taxes and fees are significantly less.

Ironically - the agent that provides me the best pricing also provides me the best customer service. Go figure - when I was using a local TA who received full commission, she rarely returned my calls the same day. You really can't generalize and say all agents who heavily discount will not provide decent service.

Well I don't know whether you would call this a 'Flash' or not. I called Princess to see if there was a reduction on one of my cruises.I can only see the Canadian site and I book USD. There was not a reduction on my cabin but cabins one step highter where on special cheaper than the price I am paying with an extra $100 ship board credit. I went for it and noticed it is no longer available. Now would you call that a 'Flash' ?

A Flash Promotion is usually about half the brochure rate. The Agent is able to see (in the Polar system) what the promo code is. It is a 3-letter code, beginning with an F. Usually FLA. Call Princess and ask what is the Promotion Code.

;);):D;);)

There are agents out there who do heavily discount and do provide great customer service. I do use an agent who does heavily discount but have also seen very cheap cruise fares such as in Alaska where taxes and fees are more then the cruise fare portion and as I would expect, the discount (amount not necessarily percent) is less compared to places where taxes and fees are significantly less.

Ironically - the agent that provides me the best pricing also provides me the best customer service. Go figure - when I was using a local TA who received full commission, she rarely returned my calls the same day. You really can't generalize and say all agents who heavily discount will not provide decent service.

Agree...

Oh My, you are sooooooooo incorrect on this. With all due respect given, I might add.

As Coral sees this, there are agents out there that do cut their commission and ALSO give you the best service you can get, we have both found our dream TA. You just haven't found the right agent yet. ;)

You are right - discounting comes off of the commissionable fare, not taxes and fees which agents do not receive commission off of. Toto is correct in what she is saying but just left off "discounting off of the commissionable cruise fare part" which many of us know what she means.

We also have been using an internet agency that always provides us with great discounts and service to match. When booking minimum 2 week cruises in a minisuite - the price discount is GREAT!!!! And that's how and why we cruise much more frequently.:D

When I booked my January cruise with my TA back in September, he basically called Princess and got the same online price but he also got me a coupon book which I'm happy with.

I noticed last week the online princing went down by $100.00 (50.00pp) so I called my TA and asked him about this. He called Princess and at first they were giving him a hard time cause we booked a GUAR room and since Princess already assigned our cabin which was a decent upgrade they told him they couldn't give me the full $100.00 credit. They said they would do the following:

• Give my cabin to someone else and put me back in the GUAR pool & then refund the $100.00 OR
  • I keep the cabin I have and take a $70.00 refund.

At the end of the day I kept my cabin assignement as its a good location and I really like it, and I still make out with $70.00 credited back to my credit card. So it pays to check the prices online..

Toto,

Sorry, I failed to mention that this was an inside cabin, not room for discounting that I am aware of.

Mike

Toto,

Sorry, I failed to mention that this was an inside cabin, not room for discounting that I am aware of.

Mike

I have done a few $350 - $400 Alaskan cruises (with high port charges) and there was very little room for discounting. I got a few dollars but when you see the breakdown, you understand why it wasn't discounted more.

I am going on the Sapphire Princess on March 20, 2010. Here are the rates that my TA quoted myself and my friends just so that you can compare someone with recent experience:

Cat M Inside for 2 $862.34 including taxes, port charges, and fees AND a $75 shipboard credit....so $431.17 pp PLUS the shipboard credit

CAt HH Outside obstructed view for 2 $914.54 including taxes, port charges and fees AND $75 shipboard credit.....so $457.27 pp PLUS the shipboard credit

ALSO, we had the future cruise credit. We booked the Cat HH and got it for the $914.54 and we got $175 shipboard credit for booking the outside....AND we already got upgraded to Cat CC Cabin B102 way forward which I have heard is actually a balcony cabin but is not sold as such because you can't go out when it is windy. We don't get seasick so that's not a problem for us.

Obviously I am a BIG fan of using TAs......you can go to the Princess website today and compare these prices, the prices are the same as when we booked a few weeks ago......Cat M is $917.42 with no shipboard credit, and Cat HH is $977.42 with no shipboard credit. So I think that is significant savings, plus I like my TA.

I always call Princess to get a price quote, then they give me a confirmation number that gives me 24hrs to choose (or not choose) to follow through on the booking for that price (there is no cost to doing this and no penalty if you don't follow through).

If I want to go ahead for that price, I then call my travel agent, give her the confirmation number and SHE confirms the booking with them FOR THE SAME PRICE (ie- if Princess quoted me $1000 for example for a cruise, then the travel agent would charge me $1000 for the same cruise).

THEN whenever my travel agent sees my category has dropped in price, or if she sees there is a sale... she calls Princess and they price-match, thereby making my final payment owing on the trip less. She usually catches two drops in price per booking.

Perhaps I have a better agent than others? Who knew?

Archived