St. Thomas December 8th BEWARE

apk1389

Better check on how! Last month we went to St. John from Red Hook but had initlially tried to go from Charlotte Amalie. The ferry from CA had been "stopped until furhter notice." No one knew if or when it would resume.

The Charlotte Amalie ferry apparently has a limited half schedule at this time. Per info on TripAdvisor as of Nov. 14th, and the vinow dot com website (click on Ferry Schedules under 'Quick Links'), this is current:

From Charlotte Amalie:

Transportation Services and Varlack Ventures

Rates: One-way, $12.00/Adults and $3.50/Children ages 2-11. Seniors are $6.00 (VI Residents only, 62 years and up, proof of age must be shown). There is a charge of $2.50/piece for luggage/boxes. Telephone: (340) 776-6282, (340) 776-6412

Time: 40 to 45 minutes

Leaving Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas:

9:00 am

11:00 am *

1:00 pm

3:00 pm *

4:00 pm

5:30 pm *

Leaving Cruz Bay, St. John:

7:15 am

9:15 am *

11:15 am

1:15 pm *

2:15 pm

3:45 pm *

IMPORTANT NOTE: November 23, 2009: The Charlotte Amalie ferry is running with a half schedule; 3 trips rather than 6. The times marked with * are not currently running. Please contact the ferry operator directly for more information.

(I hope this helps CC members getting to and from beloved St. John).

Liberty will not be in St. Thomas on the 15th...just checked. They will be in Costa Maya, Mexico.

Just FYI... :)

That's good though..one less ship!...I will be there on the 15th with Explorer! :)

Sorry, it is the Carnival Liberty in St. Thomas on 12/15, not the Liberty of the Seas.

Another report of a mistake on this site. Our cruise on the Grandeur of the Seas leaves Tampa on the 28th of January, not 29th and will dock in Cozumel on the 30th, not 31st and will be back to Tampa on the 1st of February. I assume rest of the schedule of the Grandeur is incorrect as well.

I wonder how many more mistakes/omissions are there?

We were there last year this same week and I think there were either 6 or 7 ships docked, and it did not feel crowded. We got an early start, being the first one docked at Havensight.

Things have changed.. My grandparents foward me the local newspaper.it was issued that this was the busiest day ever. Plus the ships in port that day were not as big considering you have the New carnival dream coming in and the even newer OASis. This is a historical day in St. thomas

for all those in port this day. This is the buisest day in the history of cruising to this port. The norwegian pearl, carnival dream, carnival freedom, costa Atlantica, maasdam, Sea Princess, and the OASIS. will all be in port. putting the total number of passenger over 20,000+. The population of the island is around 35,000. The island will not be ready.

Along with the 7th and 9th. Total number of passengers coming through will be 50,000 to 60,000 people. Good luck getting anywhere though on the 8th.:(

There will only be five (5) of the seven (7) ships u listed in St Thomas tomorrow.

Oasis, Costa Atlantica, Sea Princess, Carnival Dream & Norwegian Pearl.

So the number of pax will be significantly reduced than what you've forecasted....I'm currently on the Oasis and we only have 3,577 pax onboard the maiden voyage (which was purposely done according to the Capt and Ken Rush).

on the virgin island website this is what they say a little different than cruise TT. anyway even if ship is not up to full local St. Thomas newspaper says it is history breaking.

Carnival Dream(HS)

Sea Princess(HS)

Norwegian Pearl (HS)

Costa Atlantica: (CB)

Oasis of the Seas: (CB)

SeaDream I: (SJ)

I'm currently on the Oasis and we only have 3,577 pax onboard the maiden voyage (which was purposely done according to the Capt and Ken Rush).

Could be very true but it is interesting information considering all the hype and promo (Diamonds in December) offering more incentives for the Inaguaral. They sure did not remove the sale of cabins from the website.

Choose the Oasis of the SeasSM Inaugural Sailing on December 5th and enjoy:

• NEW: Special event hosted by our President & CEO, Adam Goldstein
  • Bonus Cruise Credit
  • Maiden Voyage Souvenirs
  • Collector Keepsakes

I'm currently on the Oasis and we only have 3,577 pax onboard the maiden voyage (which was purposely done according to the Capt and Ken Rush).

Capt: So the plan is to keep this cruise at 3577 pax correct?

Ken: yep, thats the plan

Capt: Ok, well we should probably stop the ongoing TV commercials in Florida and perhaps take the available rooms off the internet.

Ken in devious voice: No no, thats exactly what they expect us to do.

it will be insane on that island getting a cab will be impossible the beaches will be like a can of sardines

Think about the traffic jams!!!! It's always bad around the time to return to the docks where cruise ships await. I can only imagine the mess.

Leave lots of time to get back.....and, don't go anywhere too far away.

The Saint Thomas authorities have been practicing with new traffic patterns to try to get the people from sub base and havensite to town and the beaches. They have asked all "non-essential" personnel to stay away from the three areas - sub base, havensite and town.

I suggest getting an early ferry to Water Island to watch the Oasis come in and dock at sub base. Spend the day on the beach, have lunch with Heidi and after the ship leaves, go home.

It might be a confusing day but almost every day is confusing on Saint Thomas - wonderful but somewhat confusing.

There will only be five (5) of the seven (7) ships u listed in St Thomas tomorrow.

Oasis, Costa Atlantica, Sea Princess, Carnival Dream & Norwegian Pearl.

So the number of pax will be significantly reduced than what you've forecasted....I'm currently on the Oasis and we only have 3,577 pax onboard the maiden voyage (which was purposely done according to the Capt and Ken Rush).

It looks like we are going to have few more on our 1/16 sailing. No suites, standard oceanview or oceanview balconies available and by looking at the prices of what's left to book, they are getting premium prices for the remaining cabins.

We only have two other ships in St. Thomas with us. A Costa ship and the Carnival Nightmare which when full holds over 4600 passengers. A lot of cattle coming off that carrier too.

It looks like we are going to have few more on our 1/16 sailing. No suites, standard oceanview or oceanview balconies available and by looking at the prices of what's left to book, they are getting premium prices for the remaining cabins.

We only have two other ships in St. Thomas with us. A Costa ship and the Carnival Nightmare which when full holds over 4600 passengers. A lot of cattle coming off that carrier too.

the captain and ken also announced 2day that the sailings in january will be sailing almost at full capacity with between 6,100 and 6,200 pax.:D:eek:

Oasis & the other big ones to come will kill all the ports they sail to for other ships--the others are big enough to make it crowded sometimes but these are just the worst thing-- Gr cayman & St Thomas have become progressivley worse as each big ship comes on line--one has to hope for a rare quiet day!!! and we have been bumped twice already by bigger ships from the preferred docking space--once in St Thomas & once in Cozumel!!

we are avoiding Oasis ports as much as we can & looking into Azamara & other smaller ships that go where the big ones can't...

guess the cruise lines may improve the activities on board on port days & hope to make money from those who stay on board...

According to the cruise tt website, the Serenade will be the only ship in St. Thomas when we are there next Sunday!

As a matter of fact the only time, we have another ship in our port is in Barbados with, Summit, Regatta, and Grand Princess.

It's going to be a nice cruise being the only ship in port!

Prices will skyrocket because of the number of tourists, if one person won't buy something the next one or two or three or hundreth will.....

There are no real bargains on Saint Thomas anymore. Everything is price fixed...you price a camera in one shop, same price in the next. They may throw in a case or a mini-tripod but the price will be the same. Not like the good old days.

for all those in port this day. This is the buisest day in the history of cruising to this port. The norwegian pearl, carnival dream, carnival freedom, costa Atlantica, maasdam, Sea Princess, and the OASIS. will all be in port. putting the total number of passenger over 20,000+. The population of the island is around 35,000. The island will not be ready.

Along with the 7th and 9th. Total number of passengers coming through will be 50,000 to 60,000 people. Good luck getting anywhere though on the 8th.:(

WOW! I cannot imagine a port that busy. I have been lucky and been the only ship in port every time I visited St. Thomas. That is probably one of the reasons that it is one of my favorite ports of call.

Archived