The "new" Nieuw Amsterdam v Eurodam

Vic The Parrot

I can't imagine how HAL could have removed it while cruising. It would have interferred with a rather large area of the Lido to be working there while passengers are trying to use it for cruising activities.

I expect, if it is ever going to be removed, the work would have to be done during a wetdock.

sailed 10/24/09-10/31/09. DH is in WC. there are slight ramps in the Lido and wherever there was a step up separating the tables from the food areas is now not usuable and they have put plexiglass barrier between them.

"The Step" -- actually, there are two of them -- provides access to a small seating area between starboard and port and just forward of the forward beverage service area in the Lido of the Eurodam. The seating area is much smaller than the same area on the Vista ships (like the Noordam), though not quite as small as it is depicted in the deck plan (there are a few additional two-top tables). Here are clips of the deckplans of the Lido from the Eurodam and from the Noordam (for comparison purposes) displayed side-by-side. The seating area in question is boxed in red.

lidoeurodam1.jpglidonoordam1.jpg

Euordam is on the left, Noordam is on the right.

On the Vista ships, this seating area is accessed via ramps on either side which safely enable one to walk up into it. On the Eurodam, however, there are two steps, making this small seating area inaccessible to people who can't walk. Granted, it's a very small area ... one that is the favorite for many of the ship's staff to sit and eat. However, it is also one of my favorite places to sit on the Vistas ... the seats are comfortable and it's not as cramped as the side seating.

Hey man, you forgot about the power source! You could be talking about tearing out half the lido to get the wires run.:eek: (ok, maybe not half;))

I would think twice about that naval architect career. ;):D

Mark...

By golly, you're right.

I completely forgot about that part! :D

It's back to school for me. ;)

What's all the fuss about anyways! Old people not only fall down stairs they also fall up them! Ask me I do it all the time! My fault, don't look where I am going, usually far too busy being nosey and looking at what others are doing, old people also don't lift their feet as high as they used to. So basically it's nothing to do with poor design, it's all to do with the old bones and gray matter!

So why don't you all just stop picking on the architects and HAL! :D

In the Lido, in an area immediately aft of the mid-ship cross passageway, that is to say on the other side of the bulkhead that separates the passageway between the two glass elevators, there is a dining section. It is not starboard, nor is it port. It is between the two stations pathways. It is directly opposite the drinks area (the one closer to mid-ship; there are two).

This section is raised, with two openings to access it. Instead of a ramp, there are (were?) stairs at each of the openings.

They are (were?) an invitation for an accident. As possibly the first person to trip over it, believe me, I know.

Actually there are two of them, near the Canaletto. Click pic to enlarge.

2494759300099632937fkjBGf_th.jpg

And here is what they look (looked?) like:

edam45.jpg

edam46.jpg

edam47.jpg

It disappoints me to read that the word I had received is wrong and that these two hazards are still in-place more than one year later. While I agree that it would involve a disruption to install ramps here rather than steps, it might be-doable during cruises. We've seen them take other places out of service for short periods of time due to repair, etc.

Thanks guys. We are on the Eurodam 12/26 and will report back. -Emile

Is it safe to assume that the Nieuw A is a carbon copy of Eurodam?

The deck plans on the HAL website show many similarities, like with the public rooms, and cabins. Even those dreaded cabanas and the Retreat. :eek:

But since there's plenty of time for them to work on her, should I get overly optimistic that there might be a tweak here and there? Such as adding the outdoor observation deck in front of the spa/gym that they eradicated on the "E" ... and putting the Explorations Cafe and computer centre in a more decent area? (Like the setup on Noordam)

I have not been impressed with HAL in the past couple fo years. They seem to be trying every new idea they can think of and borrowing others. The most disappointing ship in the fleet is the Zuiderdam..an absolute disaster and probably the worst ship sailing interior wise. The Eurodam isn't as bad..but just "too commercial" for my tastes and makes me yearn for HAL of the 70s/80s interiorwise. Now the Rotterdam is being fit with a jumbotron..eh gad if I want a Carnival Cruise I'd take one. The dreaded cabanas..all these and somewhat ridiculous chargable services HAL seems to announce each and every week has become somewhat laughable now.

It just seems like HAL has lost their way in trying to define themselves now. I am sure Carnival/HAL have tweaked the Nieuw Amsterdam but seeing the product over the past five years I see more emulation of parent Carnival than a strong desire to define the HAL product. I think it was the Veendam where I could not tell if this was a HAL ship or a Carnival ship.

HAL is missing the mark that it always seem to hit when they designed their own ships these days. They have become too mainstream..like every other cruise line. That special magic is slowly being drained.

• 3 weeks later...
Unfortunately, I did not look in the correct area. Sorry for lack of an update on this problem.

That's ok. It's been confirmed that the so-called "Rev Step" is still there, just waiting to attack an unsuspecting diner.

I think they've done a much better job with the atrium chandelier, and the Pinnacle Bar.

They couldn't have done a worse job, especially on the "Chandelier"

Have seen the Chandelier design for the NA and think it is brilliant !

Amazing ... while you were probably the first to trip over this step, Copper and a few others persist in picking on ME regarding the step, calling it "The Rev Step" and other such terms. It should be called "Ruth's Step."

Well, I think they should name something much more dignified after Ruth.

Perhaps the Piano Bar ? :rolleyes:

There are many options and places more in keeping with the character of the lady.

The Mix could be changed to Ruth's Place ! ;)

Of course they would have to serve Chocolatinis ! :cool:

r.

However, if these reports here are accurate, it does appear that the high-power attorneys and risk managers up there in Seattle, WA, you know the ones who make the claim/law suit pay-out decisions, don't share your suggestion about getting rid of the step and replacing it with a ramp. And, btw, sure that could be done/installed while the ship is cruising. To them apparently, yellow & black caution tape AND paying attention suffices Go ahead, your turn;)

John,

I'll take my turn: I'll be on her in February, and since I am such an unbalanced klutz, I'll probably be tripping (again).

So: should I go for a large cash settlement or a Lifetime Cruising Pass ?? :rolleyes: :confused: :cool:

I can anticipate your Law Enforcement "official" answer ;)

r.

Well, I think they should name something much more dignified after Ruth.

Perhaps the Piano Bar ? :rolleyes:

There are many options and places more in keeping with the character of the lady.

How about we go with a musical theme?

Stairway To The Stars?

I'll Build A Stairway To Paradise?

:D

Archived