The "new" Nieuw Amsterdam v Eurodam

Vic The Parrot

Copper,

I just returned from the Eurodam (11/28-12/5) and made a point to walk all around the Lido to find the infamous step. Great news, it is no longer there! At least not that I could find anywhere.

We were on Eurodam over Thanksgiving and the step was definatley there. Doubt they could get rid of it for the next sailing so I think you just missed it.

...But you'll like "the Yuri" ... I enjoyed my time on board.

Have a nice Xmas, and enjoy the cruise. :)

Thanks, Vic. "The Yuri?" Is that what they are calling the ship now? This is our first New Year's or holiday cruise in almost 30 years. Looking forward.

Merry and Happy to you to.

Copper,

I just returned from the Eurodam (11/28-12/5) and made a point to walk all around the Lido to find the infamous step. Great news, it is no longer there! At least not that I could find anywhere.

We spent two weeks on Eurodam in March and I never saw the infamous step. We board again in January and I shall look again in the chance I 'missed it'. :)

We were on Eurodam over Thanksgiving and the step was definatley there. Doubt they could get rid of it for the next sailing so I think you just missed it.

I can't imagine how HAL could have removed it while cruising. It would have interferred with a rather large area of the Lido to be working there while passengers are trying to use it for cruising activities.

I expect, if it is ever going to be removed, the work would have to be done during a wetdock.

So, where exactly is this step, anyway?

In the Lido, in an area immediately aft of the mid-ship cross passageway, that is to say on the other side of the bulkhead that separates the passageway between the two glass elevators, there is a dining section. It is not starboard, nor is it port. It is between the two stations pathways. It is directly opposite the drinks area (the one closer to mid-ship; there are two).

This section is raised, with two openings to access it. Instead of a ramp, there are (were?) stairs at each of the openings.

They are (were?) an invitation for an accident. As possibly the first person to trip over it, believe me, I know.

And here is what they look (looked?) like:

edam45.jpg

edam46.jpg

edam47.jpg

It disappoints me to read that the word I had received is wrong and that these two hazards are still in-place more than one year later. While I agree that it would involve a disruption to install ramps here rather than steps, it might be-doable during cruises. We've seen them take other places out of service for short periods of time due to repair, etc.

They are (were?) an invitation for an accident. As possibly the first person to trip over it, believe me, I know.

Amazing ... while you were probably the first to trip over this step, Copper and a few others persist in picking on ME regarding the step, calling it "The Rev Step" and other such terms. It should be called "Ruth's Step." ;) :D

Granted, if you were the first to trip on the step, I was the second. However, I feel most sorry for the lady who tripped over it a couple of days later and fell forward, throwing her tray of food into the air as she smashed her left cheek and eye into the corner of a table. Accidents like hers, and the liability that they must have incurred for the Line, cause me to wonder at why this hasn't yet been fixed (assuming it hasn't been).

Thanks, Vic. "The Yuri?" Is that what they are calling the ship now? This is our first New Year's or holiday cruise in almost 30 years. Looking forward.

Merry and Happy to you to.

You never thought that a Dutch ship would have a Russian name, eh? :D ;)

It's my unofficial nickname for her.

Have some bubbly for me for the New Year! :) :cool:

Amazing ... while you were probably the first to trip over this step, Copper and a few others persist in picking on ME regarding the step, calling it "The Rev Step" and other such terms. It should be called "Ruth's Step." ;) :D..........................

Picking on YOU? Picking on YOU? C'mon now Charlie Brown, don't be a drama queen! You're the one who broke this story back in the first week of July 2008 so I'm giving you full credit for the discovery and letting the CC world (and Seattle) know about it:).

However, if these reports here are accurate, it does appear that the high-power attorneys and risk managers up there in Seattle, WA, you know the ones who make the claim/law suit pay-out decisions, don't share your suggestion about getting rid of the step and replacing it with a ramp. And, btw, sure that could be done/installed while the ship is cruising. To them apparently, yellow & black caution tape AND paying attention suffices:cool: Go ahead, your turn;)

Actually the most current deckplans right now are on the 2010-2011 The Americas brochure (and eBrochure) and will reflect this correctly

Hi Dutch

Does this mean that brochure you mention is the most current?

With the complete deck plan of Nieuw A, and her itineraries?

By golly, thanks for posting the pics of the steps! Looks more like a chopping block to me, or maybe a kneeler for a pew! Is the light there to guide the way over the step?

Hi Val :)

I don't remember seeing any lights down there.

But it's a good idea. Installing some kind of illumination on, or adjacent to that step will make it safer.

And a project like that can't take long as much as having an entire crew of carpenters ripping that area apart, and installing a ramp.

Tape off that part; jigsaw some holes; in goes a small bulb, and it's done. ;)

Hi Val :)

I don't remember seeing any lights down there.

But it's a good idea. Installing some kind of illumination on, or adjacent to that step will make it safer.

And a project like that can't take long as much as having an entire crew of carpenters ripping that area apart, and installing a ramp.

Me thinks you're on to something!

sound-activated-spotlights-326333.jpg

However, if these reports here are accurate, it does appear that the high-power attorneys and risk managers up there in Seattle, WA, you know the ones who make the claim/law suit pay-out decisions, don't share your suggestion about getting rid of the step and replacing it with a ramp. And, btw, sure that could be done/installed while the ship is cruising. To them apparently, yellow & black caution tape AND paying attention suffices:cool: Go ahead, your turn;)

It would appear that you're right.

My observations and concerns are, clearly, without merit.

Hey man, you forgot about the power source! You could be talking about tearing out half the lido to get the wires run.:eek: (ok, maybe not half;))

I would think twice about that naval architect career. ;):D

Mark...

So, from what I am reading is that there is no way anyone in a wheel chair can get into the Cannaletto since there are no ramps??

You're reading this incorrectly. The Canaletto Restaurant is a section of the Lido on port side. The dangerous area with the step is in a center section.

The rest of the Lido is accessible, although many areas would be tight for a wheelchair.

You're reading this incorrectly. The Canaletto Restaurant is a section of the Lido on port side. The dangerous area with the step is in a center section.

The rest of the Lido is accessible, although many areas would be tight for a wheelchair.

OK, so can someone please unconfuse me now???

What do these steps lead to?? Since RuthC has pointed out it is not the Cannaletto, but instead a Center Section, what is this section for and how does one in a wheelchair access it IF there is something there that might be wanted by a wheelchair bound person??

Joanie

OK, so can someone please unconfuse me now???

What do these steps lead to?? Since RuthC has pointed out it is not the Cannaletto, but instead a Center Section, what is this section for and how does one in a wheelchair access it IF there is something there that might be wanted by a wheelchair bound person??

Go back to post #32, and look at the sketch that John posted.

As topspot posted, it's simply another section in which to eat as it's in the Lido restaurant.

It is a small seating section with about 7 or 8 tables. It is not wheelchair accessable unless you can get up one small step.

Thank yo so much for clearing that up for me!! I thought it was a food or drink area when I saw "section". But seating, ok that's not a necessary place for me to go.

I appreciate both you and RuthC for clearing up my confusion!!

Joanie

Archived