The "new" Nieuw Amsterdam v Eurodam

Vic The Parrot

Is it safe to assume that the Nieuw A is a carbon copy of Eurodam?

The deck plans on the HAL website show many similarities, like with the public rooms, and cabins. Even those dreaded cabanas and the Retreat. :eek:

But since there's plenty of time for them to work on her, should I get overly optimistic that there might be a tweak here and there? Such as adding the outdoor observation deck in front of the spa/gym that they eradicated on the "E" ... and putting the Explorations Cafe and computer centre in a more decent area? (Like the setup on Noordam)

Is it safe to assume that the Nieuw A is a carbon copy of Eurodam?

The deck plans on the HAL website show many similarities, like with the public rooms, and cabins. Even those dreaded cabanas and the Retreat.

Not exactly a carbon copy. One difference is that have elimimated the silly little Juliette balconies on the 10 cabins on deck 11. They now have a designation of VQ, and appear to have a balcony that is about 4 ft deep. As VT on the Eurodam they were priced between VE and VF, but as VQ they are now the top of the Vs.

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=na&deck=o&year=next

Cabins 10005 and 10006 have been given forward-facing windows, reclassified as SQ, and priced the same as SA but with a much smaller balcony. (On the E they started as SZ and were reclassified as SU ... but they didn't have the forward windows.)

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=na&deck=r&year=next

I think they've done a much better job with the atrium chandelier, and the Pinnacle Bar.

Such as adding the outdoor observation deck in front of the spa/gym that they eradicated on the "E" ... and putting the Explorations Cafe and computer centre in a more decent area? (Like the setup on Noordam)

I wouldn't bet on either of those happening, per current deck plans!! :)

Something else the deck plans will show you...

No more Atrium Bar on Main Deck between the Front Office and Shore Excursions desks, however, beverage service will still be available (my presumption is that this will be from staff in the Pinnacle Bar on Deck 2 and/or Ocean Bar on Deck 3). I had not noticed that on the deck plans (which I scour every inch of when new brochures come out) and actually had it pointed out by Stan Kuppens (Hotel Manager) on one of his visits to the Seattle office.

Changes in NAME ONLY (at this point at least) include Cabana Club (Eurodam's Retreat), Manhattan Dining Room (Eurodam's Rembrandt Dining Room) and The Showroom at Sea (Eurodam's Mainstage).

Changes from Eurodam that will stay and proved to be enjoyed and/or VERY popular include,

Reconfiguration of:

Ocean Bar (actually first seen on Noordam in present configuration),

Northern Lights Bar,

Sports Bar,

Pinnacle Bar (seating has been improved),

Lido Cabanas (now 6 of them instead of 8, and located on Starboard side)

Additions on Eurodam that will appear on Nieuw Amsterdam:

Tamarind,

Silk Den,

Screening Room (also on Zuiderdam and Oosterdam),

Explorer's Bar,

Canaletto (now on over half the fleet),

Slice (at the aft pool, also located in same location on Veendam and Rotterdam)

Stateroom/deckplan changes NOT mentioned above by jtl513:

More accurate verandah representation of rooms VD 4051 and 4052, VA 4053 and 4054 as well as VA 4129 and 4132 and VD 4131 and 4134 to reflect their larger balconies (compared to Vista Class but identical to Eurodam)

In response to "Vic's" comments about the viewing deck in front of the spa area that is on the Vista Class, as with Eurodam this will not be present as the fitness center was expanded to be in tune with the higher capacity of this class of ship. Additionally, while this outdoor area does not exist, you have gained the large viewing area all the way forward on Deck 5, as well as the expansive and little known area that is, in reality, the roof of Tamarind and Silk Den.

There are also some exciting changes that I am hoping I will be able to share with you soon that go into more details of some public rooms and their configurations.

Hi ya Dutch! If you know:

What's on Main Deck in place of the bar (known as the Olive Pitt on Oosterdam)? Nada?

Again,if you know: Has the infamous Eurodam "Rev step" in the Lido Restaurant (step up to forward seating area opposite the drinking station) been taken care off on Nieuw A'dam?

Dankjewel Meneer/Thank you Sir!:)

What's on Main Deck in place of the bar (known as the Olive Pitt on Oosterdam)? Nada?

Again,if you know: Has the infamous Eurodam "Rev step" in the Lido Restaurant (step up to forward seating area opposite the drinking station) been taken care off on Nieuw A'dam?

Well, it sounded like it was too late at the time I spoke with Stan Kuppens to make it happen, but there was talk of keeping the bar but making it an alternative coffee area. (The Westerdam, not sure of Oosterdam and Zuiderdam, for instance has the Signature Cafe just off of the shops.) Not to mention the smell of the AWESOME Torrefazione beans being ground would fill the entire atrium in the morning and afternoon...

Since I've heard that it was corrected on Eurodam I would imagine it won't be put in place for the NA's Lido. However I also have no idea what the decor is. It may be designed in such a way that if present, would be easily detectable. So in a long-winded way... no answer yet.

Stateroom/deckplan changes NOT mentioned above by jtl513:

More accurate verandah representation of rooms VD 4051 and 4052, VA 4053 and 4054 as well as VA 4129 and 4132 and VD 4131 and 4134 to reflect their larger balconies (compared to Vista Class but identical to Eurodam)

I couldn't have mentioned that, because the deck plans currently on line don't show it! :D

http://book.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=na&deck=up&year=next

That's at least an improvement over having them on port side. On port side they are totally in the way of traffic.

I don't understand if you answered Copper John's question about what he calls the "Rev step". Has the dangerous step been removed from the Lido design or not? Believe me, RevNeal was not the first, or only, person to trip on it. :eek:

I am not aware that it was removed from the E-dam, only that it was marked with tape (which is still not easily seen),

Hey Vic!

Are you planning on booking this ship to make a mess at dinner?:D

vi-vomit.jpg

Actually, no more vista class cruises for me, I'll only go on "unaltered" R or S class. :cool: But, I'll need the $ first.:eek:. Hope your doing well bro.;)

Mark...

That's at least an improvement over having them on port side. On port side they are totally in the way of traffic.

I don't understand if you answered Copper John's question about what he calls the "Rev step". Has the dangerous step been removed from the Lido design or not? Believe me, RevNeal was not the first, or only, person to trip on it. :eek:

I am not aware that it was removed from the E-dam, only that it was marked with tape (which is still not easily seen),

I'm pretty sure it's gone on the Eurodam. I was looking out for it in October and didn't encounter it.

How sure are you about this? The Eurodam deck plan has always showed partitions for 5 on the starboard side as well as the 8 on port, but the Eurodam never got them. Current N.A. plans show exactly the same 8 port and 5 starboard. I guess I'm asking if you have info other than the deck plans that we see on line.

Is it safe to assume that the Nieuw A is a carbon copy of Eurodam?...should I get overly optimistic that there might be a tweak here and there? Such as ... putting the Explorations Cafe and computer centre in a more decent area? (Like the setup on Noordam)

The Explorations Cafe and Library are visually beautiful on the Noordam. Yet, we found these rooms very noisy due to the open access to the main fore-aft corridor and the high volumes from people walking along this corridor. We are looking forward to the remote location next to the Crow's Nest on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. We are sailing on the Eurodam on December 26 and then we will have the experience to make a legitimate comparison.

Hey Vic!

Are you planning on booking this ship to make a mess at dinner?:D

vi-vomit.jpg

Actually, no more vista class cruises for me, I'll only go on "unaltered" R or S class. :cool: But, I'll need the $ first.:eek:. Hope your doing well bro.;)

Mark...

Thanks Mark!

LOL ... I LOVE IT!!

I'm ok ... how about you?

The Explorations Cafe and Library are visually beautiful on the Noordam. Yet, we found these rooms very noisy due to the open access to the main fore-aft corridor and the high volumes from people walking along this corridor. We are looking forward to the remote location next to the Crow's Nest on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam. We are sailing on the Eurodam on December 26 and then we will have the experience to make a legitimate comparison.

Hi Emile ... thanks for your input. :)

I somewhat agree with you on the Noordams setup. It could get noisy.

But I'll take that over the new arrangement in the CN any day.

It is nice, but can get distracting if there's something going on next door.

I had the misfortune of trying to do some work, and there was a trivia thing in progress. A lot noisier than foot traffic. :eek:

If you go in the early morning, or late at night, it's no problem.

You can actually hear yourself breathe! :D

But you'll like "the Yuri" ... I enjoyed my time on board.

Have a nice Xmas, and enjoy the cruise. :)

In response to "Vic's" comments about the viewing deck in front of the spa area that is on the Vista Class, as with Eurodam this will not be present as the fitness center was expanded to be in tune with the higher capacity of this class of ship. Additionally, while this outdoor area does not exist, you have gained the large viewing area all the way forward on Deck 5, as well as the expansive and little known area that is, in reality, the roof of Tamarind and Silk Den.

There are also some exciting changes that I am hoping I will be able to share with you soon that go into more details of some public rooms and their configurations.

Thanks for the info, Dutch ... much appreciated! :)

I'll give you a full report when I get on board next year. ;)

I agree 100% - no more Explorations Cafe in the Crow's Nest!!!!!

So I guess you had the same experience?

When they started the trivia game, I gave the CD a dirty look.

"Thanks for telling EVERYONE ABOUT THIS!" LOL

I don't recall seeing it in the daily programme. It's like they decided to throw that in at the last minute, annoying me and the other pax who were using the pc's ... :rolleyes:

How sure are you about this? The Eurodam deck plan has always showed partitions for 5 on the starboard side as well as the 8 on port, but the Eurodam never got them. Current N.A. plans show exactly the same 8 port and 5 starboard. I guess I'm asking if you have info other than the deck plans that we see on line.

Actually the most current deckplans right now are on the 2010-2011 The Americas brochure (and eBrochure) and will reflect this correctly, as well as the balconies I mentioned on deck 4 (I forgot that tidbit, jtl513), plus this was discussed when I met with Stan Kuppens at the HQ a couple months ago.

Copper,

I just returned from the Eurodam (11/28-12/5) and made a point to walk all around the Lido to find the infamous step. Great news, it is no longer there! At least not that I could find anywhere.

Copper,

I just returned from the Eurodam (11/28-12/5) and made a point to walk all around the Lido to find the infamous step. Great news, it is no longer there! At least not that I could find anywhere.

You just made the Rev's and Ruth C's day!;) Thanks for the update!

Thank you for the report. Several months ago I received word that the problem-steps had been taken care of, so I'm pleased. And, I'm sure that the lady who tripped on one of the steps and smashed her right cheek into a table-edge is also happy that it's been corrected.

Archived