Azamara's Big Announcement

editor@cruisecritic

Many of the posted complaints so far deal with price increases. Some people seem to want upscale cruises at bargain prices, which is unrealistic and simply not going to happen over the long term. It was made clear in the conference call that the decision to go in the new direction came from the head of the corporation who hired Larry P. to implement his decision. The corporation (RCL) wants Azamara to make money for the shareholders, not to simply fill ships at low prices. I like the way they are taking Azamara and I believe these seasoned professionals will make it even more successful than it is. Some who post here may find that Azamara no longer fits there needs. So be it. At the same time, Azamara & RCL may be better off not having ships filled with low net revenue passengers.

More stuff is included (major kudos for that), including:

comp shuttle buses in ports

gratuities for housekeeping and dining

free beverages (coffee, tea, bottled water)

self service laundry

Carolyn

What ? No free Soda included as on Oceania ?

Carolyn,

Thank you so much for keeping us informed during the announcement. That is not easy to do and it is appreciated.

This was a much better way to do it than using twitter. I was receiving a bunch of Tweets from another site and it was driving me crazy.

Job well done!

Carolyn,

any mention about there being Sodas included as well?...some people do not drink wine...my poor MIL only drink Diet coke...poor thing, it will be her luck that they have pepsi products.

I think you are right about there being specific letter posted to Azamara, it will be the true test to if the listen. I am wondering who they WERE listening to? I agree that they do have to make money, it is a business after all. but these are odd announcements in my view. And are they snubbing U.S, and Canadian passengers by saying they are trying to attract people of other nationalities??? I certainly take it personally and I think that it is pretentios to use lingo that will attract the Europeans. The French will not be amused...of that I am certain. I live in France.

Also, one quick clarification request. Are you saying that gratuities are included in the price?

Another thank you to Carolyn.

I'm booked for a 14 day cruise in August, and free wine, water and coffee, plus included gratuities works for me. It doesn't sound like the earth shattering announcement we'd been waiting for, however.

As far as the $300K comment, it sounds like it was an answer to a specific question. Clearly, anybody who is going to cruise on a line such as Azamara, even before the upcoming increase, has disposable income. I think it was an unfortunate choice of words, but since Az doesn't ask for tax returns when we book, I'm not going to spend any energy getting aggravated by that particular response!

It figures !!!

We are currently booked on "O" for a 14 day Med in September, 2010.

The other couple has had a slight change in work commitments and can now open up her travels dates.

I have been talking to our T/A about switching to Azamara since we have more to choose from.

But this 20% increase shuts the door for us to sail with Azamara.

But WHEN does this price increase take affect ? If we have time to book NOW before the 20% increase, we will start decding right now.

I can't even log onto the Azamara site to see what is offered.

Ok. Itinerary changes for 2010 are 95 percent complete and will be finished "in about 10 days," Larry said. Anyone who's on an affected voyage has been contacted already.

More exciting: the 2011/2012 itineraries will be announced around the end of December/early January.

Carolyn

I like this format much better!

Question..

They have begun changing some 2010 itineraries to reflect the idea of more overnights in ports (St. Barts and Black Sea cruise)

When will all itinerary changes for 2010 be complete?

Specifically the sailing of Nov 3rd, 2010. Will Port Said be dropped for a overnight in Alexandria.

A few cruisers on the 2009 Holy Land cruises

mentioned that AZ staff onboard reported this could take place.

Question

When will any Captain Club changes and/or upgrades be listed on the website IN WRITING for all of us to see..

we've heard reports of hit and miss increased benefits.

I hope he will make the Elite benefits VERY competitive to my Elite benefits on Princess.

Let him know at this stage of my long cruising career my loyalty is for sale.

Thanks

K.

Thanks for that link. And THANK YOU to Carolyn for all the information !

According to that, the prices are going up Monday, Dec. 14th.

Not enough time for us to make a decision on a sailing... especially since we can't get to the web site.

The cruise brochure will be mailed next week. But here's something that may be controversial. Brochures will only be sent to Azamara past passengers who have cruised two or more times, or at least once in a suite.

Great question re newbuilds, answered it already....

Carolyn

1) I love cruise brochures & have been eager for Azamara for a while now. When will they be mailed?

2) Any plans to increase the fleet, either by purchase or new builds?

What's interesting is how candid Pimentel was -- almost brutally honest -- about the kind of traveler Azamara wants to attract. He told me today that "we expect to lose some clients who got in at the low end of the arena [back in Azamara's early days], who paid next to nothing to get on. That's not who we're interested in. We're not where we should be [in terms of pricing, meaning the product is getting too low of a rate] and that's part of the reason for retooling."

Carolyn

I'm booked for a 14 day cruise in August, and free wine, water and coffee, plus included gratuities works for me. It doesn't sound like the earth shattering announcement we'd been waiting for, however.

As far as the $300K comment, it sounds like it was an answer to a specific question. Clearly, anybody who is going to cruise on a line such as Azamara, even before the upcoming increase, has disposable income. I think it was an unfortunate choice of words, but since Az doesn't ask for tax returns when we book, I'm not going to spend any energy getting aggravated by that particular response!

True. I worry that a 20% price increase will drive off the people who have sailed on and enjoyed Azamara at a lower price.
For percentage increases, it depends on what basis price you refer to -- the bottom price at the peak of the economic tsunami or the price today. As for average income of $300,000, cruise lines like to inflate themselves by claiming high income passengers. There are simply not enough people of such income to fill so many "luxury ships" from so many different lines. And with the R ships, other than "sky suite" and up, most cabins are standard mass market, despite the better food and service, on a smaller ship of course. The market will decide the eventual real pricing!

Redtravel, I addressed your comment about the wine. Here's what Edie Bornstein said: "There is no 'standard' wine onboard, there's no house wine. I don't know where the comment is comfing from. We do have an extensive wine list."

One of the details that came out of this part of the chat is that Azamara will "is not trying to be American centric," Pimentel said. "We'll be sourcing our standard pouring line from around the world." What he means is that every night wines from different regions will be showcased. "It could be that Monday night is South African, Tuesday is Chilean, Wednesday...Australia or New Zealand."

These will be the complimentary pours.

There will also be an upgraded wine list.

Another teaser: Azamara will be announcing a collaboration with a major food- and wine-related partner. I jokingly referenced Bon Appetit (since it's got a partnership with Oceania) and got a pretty stark "no comment". Since Pimentel is one of the more candid cruise executives out there, and since he replied to my nearly identical question re spas (will you also be turning to Canyon Ranch to manage your spas -- as is Oceania) completely honestly (answer: no, Azamara will stick with Steiner but will tweak and upgrade offerings) I'd say there could be something to the Bon Appetit relationship.

He and Edie both strongly made the point that they're not aware of what Oceania is doing and won't compete with Oceania but I don't buy it. You have to be aware of what your competitors are doing to compete in any marketplace.

Redtravel, if you have more specifics on why the wine was inferior, I'd love to hear about it.

Carolyn

Their standard wine is awful. More overnights means less fuel used. A few name changes doesn't make any impression. Lots of hype, too little outcome. I'm truly not impressed.

Thanks, Don. Some of the highlights from that source answer some of the questions here. Sodas will be included in the cruise fare, the included wines are described as "boutique", gratuities are also included, and the newly trained butlers will be limited to the suites as is now the case on Oceania, instead of calling the room stewards "butlers" in the lower categories. So, strike one from my previous list of differentials -- the butlers and concierge service will be the same as O, as well as the sodas and bottled water. That leaves gratuities, wine and laundry, which for most people will add up to about $300 on a 10 day cruise

I found it interesting that Bornstein said that Oceania has few international passengers. I have personally met Canadians, Brits, Germans, Swiss, Argentinians, Aussies and Brazilians on board O. They were all interesting, but I didn't feel the "magic"...:rolleyes:

Please don't think that I'm carping about Azamara. As Bornstein said, it's a big ocean and there is room for everyone. I will continue to look at the Az itineraries. I will probably sail on Az sooner or later, regardless of the price (unless it gets up to luxury levels). I'm just amused that the more they try to make themselves different than O, the closer they come...

Carolyn,

Thanks so much for your up to the minute reporting.

I wish Mr. Pimentel good luck with his ideas. Unfortunately I think his timing is poor. I think even those of us who may be able to afford to take a true luxury cruise are interested in value for money. The economic future for many has most of us thinking about what's truly important and where we will spend our resources. I'd rather take a more reasonably priced cruise and use the money to help family and friends who may need it.

It's going to take a while before the days of conspicuous consumption return. I think there's been a definite change in attitude that reflects in people's spending habits.

He made a point to single out Cruise Critic and its members, and said that he follows the forum very closely and really tries to accommodate suggestions. I'd suggest someone write an "open letter to Azamara" on this forum, and put in specifics about what you want to see in a past passenger program.

Carolyn

Hi Carolyn !

Can you ask Mr Pimentel if he might consider posting on the Azamara board, as Mr DelRio occasionaly posts over at Oceania. I am sure he's extremely busy, but as Mr Pimentel says he follows this forum, it would be nice if he would say hello, and share his thoughts from time to time.

Regarding suggestions to Azamara, We did something similar back in July, though more comprehensive. Here is a link to the thread : http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1025013

I have countless ideas for Le Club Voyage. I'd love to share them with Azamara at some point. For now, they should consider adding some of the items Celebrity recently added to Captains Club, as they are welcome upgrades.

Redtravel, I addressed your comment about the wine. Here's what Edie Bornstein said: "There is no 'standard' wine onboard, there's no house wine. I don't know where the comment is comfing from. We do have an extensive wine list."

One of the details that came out of this part of the chat is that Azamara will "is not trying to be American centric," Pimentel said. "We'll be sourcing our standard pouring line from around the world." What he means is that every night wines from different regions will be showcased. "It could be that Monday night is South African, Tuesday is Chilean, Wednesday...Australia or New Zealand."

Carolyn

This sounds awesome, I love this idea and love wine from all around the world.

Hello overthere, Sweden calling.

Many thanks to Carolyn , it was great to read everything what was said in the "big" announcement.

We are also going to cruise Copenhagen - Barcelona, 14 days in august.

We booked in the end of october for the "lower" price, so I hope thats free wine/beer and water are included to us to.

Hi, good news: Sodas will be part of the all-inclusive aspects.

I want to urge y'all -- re Azamara's interest in expanding beyond a North American audience -- to understand that every company in cruising is doing the very same thing. It's not about thumbing their nose at U.S. travelers but more that for these lines to survive building more and bigger ships (Azamara, at least for the moment, excepted) they have to find new ways to fill them. Costa and Royal Caribbean are genuine pathfinders when it comes to moving into regions and reaching out to new-to-cruise types -- they're both doing it in Brazil, the Middle East, Asia, Australia. Cruising is definitely becoming hotter globally and that's just the way it is.

I have long wanted to write a story on this (never seems to get done) -- on how onboard ambience on many cruise ships is changing because the passenger make-up is much more international in the past. I think the most international cruise I ever took was Sapphire Princess in Asia; there were groups that ranged from Barbados to Argentina and from S. Korea to England. It was neat.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

any mention about there being Sodas included as well?...some people do not drink wine...my poor MIL only drink Diet coke...poor thing, it will be her luck that they have pepsi products.

I think you are right about there being specific letter posted to Azamara, it will be the true test to if the listen. I am wondering who they WERE listening to? I agree that they do have to make money, it is a business after all. but these are odd announcements in my view. And are they snubbing U.S, and Canadian passengers by saying they are trying to attract people of other nationalities??? I certainly take it personally and I think that it is pretentios to use lingo that will attract the Europeans. The French will not be amused...of that I am certain. I live in France.

Also, one quick clarification request. Are you saying that gratuities are included in the price?

Thanks Carolyn, for your work at keeping this feedback coming. I certainly have no problems with the international community (or I would not be living in Paris), I am very interested to read that article...please do find the time...I am eager to read.

Great news about the sodas! My MIL will be soooooooooooooo pleased;)

I think we'll just have to wait and see (question for DrKoob -- if the price dropped that signficantly after final payment do you get compensated in any way?).

Pimentel was blunt about the pricing when we chatted earlier. He said that "we started going up about a month and a half ago and have been rising about 2 percent a week. As of today, that represents an increase of about 20 percent in this period.

"As to future increases, one week from yesterday – Monday, December 14 – there will be another price increase. It will be substantial, between 6 – 12 percent depending on the voyage (duration, season, location).

"The Mediterranean peak season will have the highest price increases (July, August, September). You’ll also see increases in the Asia going forward."

Carolyn

The real question is, can they fill the ships at that price point. We just saw our Feb cruise drop by almost $1000 per person days after final payment. The ship is nowhere near full. If they can't fill the ships now and they are reducing prices (only in certain states and age groups) then how will they fill them at a higher price.

With X going to bigger ships I really want Azamara to become our new favorite line but I can't see paying that much more. We don't drink that much. Sorry.

It's great to hear from you, Sweden!

Yes. As of April 1 on Journey and April 9 on Quest, the inclusive aspect of the enhancements will be in place and available to anyone. It doesn't have anything to do with what you paid for the cruise or when you booked. Larry made an interesting point about gratuities -- this policy also speaks to a more international passenger base cause tipping is not as, er, popular around the world as it is in the U.S. Tips for cabin attendants and waitstaff are included in the fare; tips for cocktails are included in the price (no need to add one on).

The other aspects that will be available as of April are the complimentary shuttle buses in ports that need them and of course the laundry. Good point -- whoever made it -- about needing more machines. Could be a nightmare :)

Carolyn

Hello overthere, Sweden calling.

Many thanks to Carolyn , it was great to read everything what was said in the "big" announcement.

We are also going to cruise Copenhagen - Barcelona, 14 days in august.

We booked in the end of october for the "lower" price, so I hope thats free wine/beer and water are included to us to.

(question for DrKoob -- if the price dropped that signficantly after final payment do you get compensated in any way?).

Carolyn,

Due to the folks finding out it through CC at least 10 of us on the SE Asia cruise going on Feb 20 got more than $700 each back. It was a direct credit to our credit cards we had used to pay for the cruise, not OBC. A two week Singapore to Hong Kong for residents of certain states dropped by more than $1500 per cabin (depending on the type of cabin you had). My TA got it all back for us. Amazing.

Thanks for all you have done here and for all that Cruise Critic is. I love this site.

Jim

Archived