Back to the Class System

jebl

wow--you keep bringing this up.........You must be very proud...:rolleyes:

Well, no, someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread. Knowing you you'll probably start on page one and read every line of every response because you and a certain scuba diver just can't seem to get over it and stop being so unbelievably rude to me. Please get past this and move on with your life. It's the holidays and a new year is approaching. Thanks!

It's not like Ghiradelli is much better than Hershey's or Dove's.

Thats it you gone to far now How dare you be critical of Ghirardelli I dont care how much you complain about roped of areas dont pick on my hometown chocolatesmiley3358.gif

We just came off an 8-night on Independence on Sunday. Was at the main/sports pool every day and not once was any section roped off or reserved for suite guests.

During our Liberty trip last December half the seats between the Pool and Sky bars were reserved. Probably depends on the ship...

I havent' said that there shouldn't be areas or perks. I only said that if last year I went to a resort and the use of the pool bar and pool were included in my rate and next year I book and am told that I can no longer use the pool and pool bar - but my price does not reflect the loss of that amenity - then I would indeed not book as I find it a shady practice.

To me it would only be a shady practice if the changes would not be made public and you had no other way to find out than to show up at the place and find out. As much as we all might want, we can´t ecpect products to not change and even if purchasing a certain product frequently we need to check everytime we make a purchase if it´s still the product we want to purchase. Now if - to stay with your example - your room rate at the resort still would list the pool and pool bar as included that´s shady, if it´s not listed and you just assume it will be like last year, I´d say not shady but a mistake on your part.

Don´t forget one thing (not sure how true this is for resorts, but it´s true for cruises) the cruise lines are more and more into looking for new cruisers and they are heavily advertising to get them hooked. Those first timers won´t even know that this was not standard practise some time ago. For them it´s simply part of the deal. Just like they would never notice that specialty restaurants haven´t been there forever, or that there were times with no buffets available but MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also won´t miss a midnight buffet as they never saw one. The list could go on.

I don't think that removing services and amenities from the regular amenities that have been promoted as being expected and then retaining them for suite guests and calling them a perk is a very good business practice. I guess my issue is with people parroting 'you get what you pay for' when it has always been included in what you pay for to begin with.

I think you are going a bit far here. What service and amenity that has been promoted and is expected has been removed?

They advertise a pool deck and lounge chairs and they advertise shows in the theater. Nowhere have I ever seen them (not in the past or now) advertise reserved seating at the pool or theater, or even guaranteed seating for everybody at the pool or in the theater. This was never the case and is not the case and quite frankly it wasn´t even like this in reality onboard the ships.

They now advertise some reserved seating for suite guests, while this might take away some seats that otherwise had been available for free choose to all, it´s not taking away anything that they ever advertised.

As for the you get what you pay for - nothing has changed you still get your seats in theater or at the pool, just not that one spot that you might desperately want.

I´ll give it another twist, even in the past you might have not gotten these seats as they might have been occupied already. Just look at it that not a fellow passenger reserved them for their friends, but RCI did for a group of their customers. RCI is simply chair hogging, a practice that always happened just not by RCI, but RCI didn´t do much about it;)

I think the best new slogan would be 'you don't get what you used to pay for!':p

Wouldn´t that slogan fit for all businesses?

Thats it you gone to far now How dare you be critical of Ghirardelli I dont care how much you complain about roped of areas dont pick on my hometown chocolatesmiley3358.gif

AAACK! Forgive me!!! I didn't mean to besmirch your hometown chocolate!:o I actually lived in Miami Beach for a bit and there is a great Ghiradelli shop with a milkshake bar and it was a favorite treat - I swear! Forgive me?:)

Don´t forget one thing (not sure how true this is for resorts, but it´s true for cruises) the cruise lines are more and more into looking for new cruisers and they are heavily advertising to get them hooked. Those first timers won´t even know that this was not standard practise some time ago. For them it´s simply part of the deal. Just like they would never notice that specialty restaurants haven´t been there forever, or that there were times with no buffets available but MDR for breakfast, lunch and dinner. They also won´t miss a midnight buffet as they never saw one. The list could go on.

This is a great point and one I think that they're counting on. It's true for me, as well, since this is only our second cruise together and the largest ship I've been on is Radiance. So I didn't have a midnight buffet or a chocolate buffet or anything. On my first cruise I didn't get a towel animal at all. The lat one we got some though, so not getting one every night won't make a difference to me, either. You're right - I never had some of the things people lament losing so I won't miss them!

I think you are going a bit far here. What service and amenity that has been promoted and is expected has been removed?

I meant here about the area itself that had been lost to the reserved section of lounge chairs. As well, and more importantly, is the beach on Labadee that has always been promoted as public suddenly being removed. The point was that it was the cruise line's private island for all the guests on the ship. That has undoubtedly changed, I'd say. As well, there is no mention of it at all on the RCCL website under the Labadee port of call. Now you could assert that just because it doesn't expressly say there is a private beach there that people should not assume that they can use the area being advertised on the webiste. Yes, you could say that you should assume you may not get food or coffee either, since it isn't expressly stated that you are guaranteed to have some. You can also say there may not be any entertainment available because it isn't expressly guaranteed they will have it. But you are right, they don't expressly guarantee that you can have anything but your stateroom, really.

I´ll give it another twist, even in the past you might have not gotten these seats as they might have been occupied already. Just look at it that not a fellow passenger reserved them for their friends, but RCI did for a group of their customers. RCI is simply chair hogging, a practice that always happened just not by RCI, but RCI didn´t do much about it;)

That was funny! True, maybe people can just lump any frustration from that in with the chair hog frustration and take it out on a magazine that's been sunning for an hour or two, lol!:p

Wouldn´t that slogan fit for all businesses?For a lot, yes, sadly. There are still some that have retained all of the things that made them special and have raised prices. I realize not everyone can take advantage of that right now but I'm glad I can. For me, I'd rather prices go up an acceptable notch and still receive the product (whatever it is) that I've come to enjoy rather than a watered down one for the same price. Just to be clear, I'm not talking specifically about RCCL there, just about all products, vacation and not. I realize that companies are doing what they can these days to keep business and offer their product at the same or less rate - I just am a creature of habit, I guess, and like to recieve the same or more for my money each time I repeat buy.:)

I hope you're not frustrated with me! I'm really just curious and I find your points on the topic valid. Certainly I've agreed with quite a few.

Wouldn´t that slogan fit for all businesses?
You're also not paying what you used to pay either. The equation of Costs < Revenue has to be balanced accordingly.

Your argument is nicely stated, but unfortunately based upon incorrect assumptions, or perhaps to be a bit kinder, idealism. The reality is that cruise lines compete with one another, and as Wal-Mart's success proves, people are willing to sacrifice service to save a few pennies.

Lucky P- forget this whole nonsense-you're outa here in 11 days!! Yay you!!! :D

Yes- kooljamming has a way with words at times that cracks me up!!

Really-we all need to find some humor. Between this thread with suite guests taking over, and the other one with the D and D+ taking over-all the rest of us will be jammed in one corner of the Windjammer for the 2 hours we're allowed out of our rooms.!!:p

But it could be a fun group to be with as we are stuck in the Windjammer for those two hours.:)

I hope you're not frustrated with me! I'm really just curious and I find your points on the topic valid. Certainly I've agreed with quite a few.

Nope no way frustrated at all. I consider this a nice and polite discussion. I enjoy echanging opinions and totally repsect how people feel about the issue even if I feel different. And honestly I don´t even think the reserved seating at the pool and in the theater is a good thing. It´s just my reasons for this happen to be a bit different. I´m not opposed to it because I feel it´s taking anything away. I´m opposed to it because as a suite passenger I wouldn´t want to be cordoned off.;)

Enjoy the holidays and your upcoming cruise.:)

I meant here about the area itself that had been lost to the reserved section of lounge chairs. As well, and more importantly, is the beach on Labadee that has always been promoted as public suddenly being removed. The point was that it was the cruise line's private island for all the guests on the ship. That has undoubtedly changed, I'd say. As well, there is no mention of it at all on the RCCL website under the Labadee port of call. Now you could assert that just because it doesn't expressly say there is a private beach there that people should not assume that they can use the area being advertised on the webiste. Yes, you could say that you should assume you may not get food or coffee either, since it isn't expressly stated that you are guaranteed to have some. You can also say there may not be any entertainment available because it isn't expressly guaranteed they will have it. But you are right, they don't expressly guarantee that you can have anything but your stateroom, really.

I'm not sure what the big deal here is. They took away one beach by reserving it for suite guests and at the same time built an additional one that everybody can use.

I'm sure that my comments really make people leave RCI, but thanks for the confidence in me. :) I'm not actually advising anyone to leave RCI--I am Platinum, so clearly I like it ok. My point was that when it comes to travel of any kind, no one forces any of us to go on any cruiseline/airline/hotel/etc. If we are unhappy with the product, we have the choice to go elsewhere. I haven't found reason to go elsewhere, and plan to continue on RCI, but since some people on these boards only find reason to complain about what they aren't getting, it seems obvious that maybe they should go elsewhere. I don't know Mr. Goldstein, so I won't presume to speak for him.

Nah I wasn't giving you that much credit, I didn't say you wre actually driving them off I just said it isn't a very effective argument for trying to enlighten anyone.;):D

Look, I do see your point. Some people do just seem to complain. But there are also plenty of people who have had very positive things to say over the years and as soon as they say something in anyway negative they are jumped on and told if they don't like it then they should go somewhere else. Having an issue with a specific aspect of a product does not mean not liking the total product. You can love a house but hate the color that the walls are painted.

Evey post around here that may have something negative to say does not have to begin with a politically correct statement like....."I love RCI for all of these reasons but....." On this thread people are simply commenting on the subject in question and not RCI's entire product. This subject has been hashed out on these boards plenty of times. As I said previously, I wouldn't have even felt the need to comment on it any longer if someone had not tried to link the issue to some motivating driver like jealousy. Heck, when they pull up the gangway and you are the one standing on the ship and not the shore what is there to possibly be jealous of? Anyone who is jealous about a piece of chocolate, a lounge chair, or a seat in a theatre has much bigger issues than we could possibly begin to discuss here.

But it could be a fun group to be with as we are stuck in the Windjammer for those two hours.:)

Oh wow. Can you imagine a cruise filled with us posters that get out of hand?? How fun! Kooljamming and I would be running around with our bellies showing everywhere, Amybeth would be busting into the CL every chance she got, we could have an all out brawl over jeans in the MDR....what else?:D

Oh yea, Bluegirlem will have the rum runners.....See, this is why you're in charge of planning, lol!

Oh wow. Can you imagine a cruise filled with us posters that get out of hand?? How fun! Kooljamming and I would be running around with our bellies showing everywhere, Amybeth would be busting into the CL every chance she got, we could have an all out brawl over jeans in the MDR....what else?:D

Brawl? If anyone has non-potty trained kids in the pool we are going to all out war!:mad::D

I do not post much because of those on these boards that have something negative to say no matter what is posted. I only cruise in suites because that is what the wife and I enjoy - We do not use the pool seats whatsoever - but- consider if they were not roped off that they would have either passengers in them or being held by the chair hogs and those that are complaining on these boards would still be complaining about chairs but for a different reason. Reserved seats in the theater - everytime I have been in the theater once the show has begun the ropes were removed. Land vacations - last August was at Moon Palace in Cancun in a suite - they had a reserved area on the beach with upgraded lounge chairs, tables, etc and a seperate bar and more personnel servicing the suite guests and you could NOT get in that area unless your wrist band was coded that you were in a suite - and this was in everyone's face. No matter where I have traveled and stayed - resorts - hotels - and other cruiselines(if passengers are complaining about RCCL perks which are about the worst of any mid priced cruise line they ought to check Norwegien or Princess - much better perks for suite guests) - there has always been increased perks for those paying more. As my wife always says - you get what you pay for.

Oh yea, Bluegirlem will have the rum runners.....See, this is why you're in charge of planning, lol!

Let's not forget gang-this will be a smoking section of the WJ now!!:)

As I said previously, I wouldn't have even felt the need to comment on it any longer if someone had not tried to link the issue to some motivating driver like jealousy. Heck, when they pull up the gangway and you are the one standing on the ship and not the shore what is there to possibly be jealous of? Anyone who is jealous about a piece of chocolate, a lounge chair, or a seat in a theatre has much bigger issues than we could possibly begin to discuss here.

Since I´ve been the one that brought up the jeaulosy aspect I need to say yep I do stand by that opinion.

I don´t say it´s everybody commenting negatively about it or it´s you being jealous, but yes there´s a lot of jealousy on these boards and perks given to suite passengers is one of the points, though by far not the only one. I´m reading on CC for a long enough time to have made up my mind about this aspect. I agree with you that there´s really nothing to be jealous about and these people might have bigger problems that couldn´t and shouldn´t be discussed here, but still people seem to be jealous to me.

I know it´s my opinion, not a fact and I´m not forcing it on you.:)

Since I´ve been the one that brought up the jeaulosy aspect I need to say yep I do stand by that opinion.

I don´t say it´s everybody commenting negatively about it or it´s you being jealous, but yes there´s a lot of jealousy on these boards and perks given to suite passengers is one of the points, though by far not the only one. I´m reading on CC for a long enough time to have made up my mind about this aspect. I agree with you that there´s really nothing to be jealous about and these people might have bigger problems that couldn´t and shouldn´t be discussed here, but still people seem to be jealous to me.

I know it´s my opinion, not a fact and I´m not forcing it on you.:)

I realize it is your opinion. I also realize you are not forcing it on me. In fact, I am rather curious as to how you arrived at your opinion. And I most certainly don't hold anything against you personally for having reached your conclusions.

I guess it is hard for me to get the point because for me cruising has always been about a week with no pager, no calls interupting dinner, no hospital rounds, and spending time with my family and them not having to share me. And I always just assume, yeah I know what happens to people who do that, that everyone else on the ship is there for pretty much the same sort of reasons. Worrying about what anyone else is doing (or wearing), unless they are blowing smoke in my face or $hi!!ing in the pool, just does not factor into my week.

Well, no, someone else mentioned it earlier in the thread. Knowing you you'll probably start on page one and read every line of every response because you and a certain scuba diver just can't seem to get over it and stop being so unbelievably rude to me. Please get past this and move on with your life. It's the holidays and a new year is approaching. Thanks!

Hey,Im not being rude......I just cant believe you keep bringing it up........its like bragging rights.........and that,makes me laugh........I do think I have more of a life......You see?? Im happy with what I have.I can afford to buy my drinks.

Nah I wasn't giving you that much credit, I didn't say you wre actually driving them off I just said it isn't a very effective argument for trying to enlighten anyone.;):D

Look, I do see your point. Some people do just seem to complain. But there are also plenty of people who have had very positive things to say over the years and as soon as they say something in anyway negative they are jumped on and told if they don't like it then they should go somewhere else. Having an issue with a specific aspect of a product does not mean not liking the total product. You can love a house but hate the color that the walls are painted.

Evey post around here that may have something negative to say does not have to begin with a politically correct statement like....."I love RCI for all of these reasons but....." On this thread people are simply commenting on the subject in question and not RCI's entire product. This subject has been hashed out on these boards plenty of times. As I said previously, I wouldn't have even felt the need to comment on it any longer if someone had not tried to link the issue to some motivating driver like jealousy. Heck, when they pull up the gangway and you are the one standing on the ship and not the shore what is there to possibly be jealous of? Anyone who is jealous about a piece of chocolate, a lounge chair, or a seat in a theatre has much bigger issues than we could possibly begin to discuss here.

You're right. If my biggest problem is that I can't find a deck chair exactly where I want it, then things aren't too bad, are they? At least I'm on the boat and not in 17 inches of snow. It's all about perspective.

Hey,Im not being rude......I just cant believe you keep bringing it up........its like bragging rights.........and that,makes me laugh........I do think I have more of a life......You see?? Im happy with what I have.I can afford to buy my drinks.

Just because someone was given the pass to the CL--without even asking for it--doesn't mean that that person is too poor to buy their own drinks. Why is no one flaming the horrible people that gave her the pass? I mean, they technically are the ones who broke the rules, right? What was she supposed to say? "Oh, no, I couldn't. You people are just so nice, but I don't want the non-rule breakers to be mad at me, and actually I should report you for such a flagrant violation of rule V.I.a.2B of the Concierge Lounge rules."?

Just because someone was given the pass to the CL--without even asking for it--doesn't mean that that person is too poor to buy their own drinks. Why is no one flaming the horrible people that gave her the pass? I mean, they technically are the ones who broke the rules, right? What was she supposed to say? "Oh, no, I couldn't. You people are just so nice, but I don't want the non-rule breakers to be mad at me, and actually I should report you for such a flagrant violation of rule V.I.a.2B of the Concierge Lounge rules."?

Bingo-we have a winner!!!

Archived