Back to the Class System

jebl

II'm little confused. Grandeur is sailing out of Tampa, or at least I hope it is as we're scheduled to sail on her in ~30 days..... :)

Grandeur was spending summers in Baltimore and winters in Tampa. Sometime in the spring she will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale.

Seems to be a lot of rotation of the Vision Class of ships.

Grandeur was spending summers in Baltimore and winters in Tampa. Sometime in the spring she will be moving to Ft. Lauderdale.

Seems to be a lot of rotation of the Vision Class of ships.

I knew she was up in Baltimore, but in the previous post you stated:

Along those lines - their gain in Baltimore will be the loss of Port Everglades - Grandeur is leaving in the spring to be replaced by Enchantment. I think she will be in great hands with passengers like you.

:confused:

I knew she was up in Baltimore, but in the previous post you stated:

Along those lines - their gain in Baltimore will be the loss of Port Everglades - Grandeur is leaving in the spring to be replaced by Enchantment. I think she will be in great hands with passengers like you.

:confused:

Because I forgot Grandeur split her time between 2 home ports.

some would said that you are being jealous and petty and sing you a tune

:cj

I'm not jealous, I'm happy for them, if that is how they want to spend their hard earned money, then good for them, I just choose not to. I was just saying that I would take a lesser priced room and the money I saved on the room, I would spend on my kids. Maybe leave a day early and stay somewhere on the way to FL. Maybe take an extra excursion, who knows. That's all nothing more then that. Happy cruising. :D

This thread is a perfect one for the season - it is a gift that just keeps on giving! ;):D

And, BTW, I still see nothing second class about anyone's crusing experience - regardless of the cabin they book....... Which makes me on par with every other poster to this thread - having the same opinion that I started with 23 pages ago! :D

I'm not jealous, I'm happy for them, if that is how they want to spend their hard earned money, then good for them, I just choose not to. I was just saying that I would take a lesser priced room and the money I saved on the room, I would spend on my kids. Maybe leave a day early and stay somewhere on the way to FL. Maybe take an extra excursion, who knows. That's all nothing more then that. Happy cruising. :D

I was not calling you jealous,I was simply mocking those who would

We are the "galls" (from the oldguysandgalls)

Agatha and Martha; and we were enjoying a nice cup of tea at the Windjammer Café (what a deeeeeeeelightful respite) nappies folded ever so perfectly, pinky straight up, aaaaaaaaaaaah...utterly deeeeeeelightfull I say, utterly deeeeelightful.

However our indulgence was short-lived as that word came from a Captain Jake..."get back down to your cabins ladies....this ship is not sailing by itself you know.......ROW " ! ! Oh dear......but why we asked... (giggling) why.......?

" Cause you are in OAR CLASS that's why......now get below deck and ROW" !!

("giggle-giggle-giggle" from Agatha...yooooooohoooo... Martha...do you know what I did with the other OAR" ????)

I was not calling you jealous,I was simply mocking those who would

We are the "galls" (from the oldguysandgalls)

Agatha and Martha; and we were enjoying a nice cup of tea at the Windjammer Café (what a deeeeeeeelightful respite) nappies folded ever so perfectly, pinky straight up, aaaaaaaaaaaah...utterly deeeeeeelightfull I say, utterly deeeeelightful.

However our indulgence was short-lived as that word came from a Captain Jake..."get back down to your cabins ladies....this ship is not sailing by itself you know.......ROW " ! ! Oh dear......but why we asked... (giggling) why.......?

" Cause you are in OAR CLASS that's why......now get below deck and ROW" !!

("giggle-giggle-giggle" from Agatha...yooooooohoooo... Martha...do you know what I did with the other OAR" ????)

Now,now rowing is mens work.To the galley and serve the men folk be your calling

• 3 years later...

Hate me for reviving this thread but I HAD to get it off my chest.

Someone may of said this before, sorry.

This is hardly like the class system of the glorious ocean liners of ships past. Classes back then were sectionalized. First Class did not mingle with Third Class (Sorry James Cameron fans); First Class did not mingle with Tourist Class. Last time I checked, a suite guest could dine and chat right next to a standard booked passenger.

And to call standard booked passengers steerage? Check out some early 20th century steerage accomadations then compare to modern cruising.;)

If every cabin on the ship was the same price I probably couldn't afford Royal. Suites cost a *lot* of money during prime season (and a fair bit off season), enough so that it helps cover the expenses on those sailings where the boat isn't full.

Everything the suite guests get (save the concierge lounge and the private sun deck like they have on the Oasis) I could get by showing up early (deck chairs, seats at venues); I don't consider that a "class" thing.

The way I see it is that 3-5 years down the line I'll be Diamond + and I will get most of those perks anyway. I could be in my "cheap" inside cabin yet still have the same perks as the people who paid 4-8 times as much for their high end suite.

If I am RCCL or any other travel provider, I have the right to give the people who are spending more money per person extra things versus the people who are spending less.

If I am a customer of a travel provider, I have the right to pay more and get those extra benefits, pay less and not get them, or pay nothing and take my business elsewhere.

If RCCL wants to give poorer quality food for example to lower paying passengers, that is there right. The would I am sure see the number of people cruising on the ship paying the lower rate dwindle quite quickly as word got out that they were treating people this way.

If I am paying the amount of money that a suite costs, I should be able to take advantage of extras that are not available to people who spent less. Years ago, I went on a Carnival ship and got a rather expensive cabin. The only benefits on that ship were a VCR in the room, and one free dinner at the steakhouse with a picture. Nothing else. I plainly felt like I had wasted a lot of money for no major benefit.

Don't like it, do what I suggest in the second paragraph.

If I am RCCL or any other travel provider, I have the right to give the people who are spending more money per person extra things versus the people who are spending less.

If I am a customer of a travel provider, I have the right to pay more and get those extra benefits, pay less and not get them, or pay nothing and take my business elsewhere.

If RCCL wants to give poorer quality food for example to lower paying passengers, that is there right. The would I am sure see the number of people cruising on the ship paying the lower rate dwindle quite quickly as word got out that they were treating people this way.

If I am paying the amount of money that a suite costs, I should be able to take advantage of extras that are not available to people who spent less. Years ago, I went on a Carnival ship and got a rather expensive cabin. The only benefits on that ship were a VCR in the room, and one free dinner at the steakhouse with a picture. Nothing else. I plainly felt like I had wasted a lot of money for no major benefit.

Don't like it, do what I suggest in the second paragraph.

So if two different people book identical cabin categories but one paid twice as much for the cabin due to the timing of when they booked, is that person then entitled to extra amenities because they paid more money? Everything in your above post is related to the amount of money spent per cabin. Does the person who booked early and paid less (or booked late and got in on a fire sale) deserve poorer quality food because they paid less?

I don't agree. With the prices I see on those upper suite levels, I know if was booking one, I would be looking for some type extras other than just a bigger room. and I think those types of suites ought to be all inclusive....IMHO cause if I am going to pay that kind of money per person to cruise, I would be doing it on an all inclusive luxury liner. It's a fact of life...you pay more...you get more!

So if two different people book identical cabin categories but one paid twice as much for the cabin due to the timing of when they booked, is that person then entitled to extra amenities because they paid more money? Everything in your above post is related to the amount of money spent per cabin. Does the person who booked early and paid less (or booked late and got in on a fire sale) deserve poorer quality food because they paid less?

You are correct that I said "amount of money spent", but what I referring to was the class of cabin booked which is usually closely based on the amount spent. It is the same as airlines, hotels, car rentals, and every other travel provider. If you spend more money on a higher class of service, you should get more "perks". The higher classes usualy cost more.

For the person who actually gets a specific category for less money, they should get the same perks as the other people who booked that same class. They just happened to get a better deal.

But I probably agree though with the Southwest Airlines method of handling rewards. You are rewarded on a multiplier of how much you spent, and the class of ticket you bought. They have three classes (since all the seats are the same), but the middle one adds refundability, and the top one gives you early boarding, and a free drink. The multiplier goes up as you book a higher class (and usually spend more money). So if you spend $100 on a non-refundable ticket, you get 600 points. If you spend $100 on a upper level tier ticket, you get 1000 points. I might be off on the multiplier, but you get the point.

So the amount of rewards you get on Southwest is totally based on how much you have spent on Southwest. That is by far a much "fairer" system in that the revenue received is the basis for your rewards.

When someone offers a new thought on this topic, it will be the first time in nearly four years. Why it was necessary to resurrect a four year old post to raise this issue is beyond me, but apparently someone had a lot of extra time on their hands and a desire to see just how well the search feature works.:rolleyes:

Hate me for reviving this thread but I HAD to get it off my chest.

Someone may of said this before, sorry.

This is hardly like the class system of the glorious ocean liners of ships past. Classes back then were sectionalized. First Class did not mingle with Third Class (Sorry James Cameron fans); First Class did not mingle with Tourist Class. Last time I checked, a suite guest could dine and chat right next to a standard booked passenger.

And to call standard booked passengers steerage? Check out some early 20th century steerage accomadations then compare to modern cruising.;)

So you had to do a search on steerage and dig up this ancient thread to get this off your chest.

When someone offers a new thought on this topic, it will be the first time in nearly four years. Why it was necessary to resurrect a four year old post to raise this issue is beyond me, but apparently someone had a lot of extra time on their hands and a desire to see just how well the search feature works.:rolleyes:

...and you posted on this thread, which kinda' makes both of you even huh? LOL ;)

I didn't read it 4 years ago so I found the discussion interesting.

I guess you could just ignore the topic and not read it.

Archived