JOS misses Grandcayman yesterday

apk1389

It is very sad that what should be the ultimate source for answers with your cruise is so inaccurate.

The port information that I referred to is located on RC's website. Looking at an itinerary and also looking at the port information (all on the same website) would alert any observant person that maybe there is an accuracy issue. :eek:

I don't understand why anybody doesn't take the time to research their potential vacation thoroughly. Time is short and good research makes it possible to maximize the use of given time. It also allows you to find activities that really interest you. ;):D

It also tends to keep you out of trouble :eek: Had the Antigua Six done their homework they might not have spent a month in Antigua, lost time at work/school, been out a whole boatload of money, etc. One defendant lost a semester of law school. A very expensive lesson in deed.:rolleyes:

So did we ever get an answer to the OP's original question?

No one who was onboard this cruise has posted the answer as yet, but a reasonable guess is that sea conditions caused them to miss the port. It is a not infrequent happening when Grand Cayman is on a ship's itinerary, and it is doubtful that anything more unusual was responsible.:)

So did we ever get an answer to the OP's original question?

Pulled this from the Cayman Island weather site.

"Winds will be northeast 15 to 20 knots. Seas are expected to be rough with wave heights of 4 to 6 feet. Small craft advisory is in effect."

Hmmmm not very good tendering in 4-6 foot seas.

Anyone know if there are any plans to develop a pier in Grand Cayman. We've been to GC a couple of times and have tendered at two different spots - a great island.

No plans that I have ever heard about and considering the concern that they have about the coral reefs around GC, I would be surprised if they would consider the construction of such a pier unless it could be safely done without causing further deterioration to the coral. They have been tendering cruise ship passengers into Georgetown for decades now and doubt that any change is being contemplated.:)

Anyone know if there are any plans to develop a pier in Grand Cayman. We've been to GC a couple of times and have tendered at two different spots - a great island.

I read an article awhile back that GC was not interested in building any piers, commercial or cruise.

Wak up before you speak! Grand Cayman is not a docking port.

So sweet of you to reply in such a friendly fashion to a post, do you fell better now? Perhaps you should take time out of your busy schedule and actually read what has been posted before you. Apk made the mistake of believing RCCL instead of consulting all the "wizards" here.

Oh, and you may not know this, but there is an E in the word wake.

Maybe you shouldn't type in your sleep, and then you wouldn't make such a basic mistake.

Look at the depth of the ocean around Grand Cayman. This may tell you something about why there has not been a pier built. Grand Cayman is like a mountain raising out of the ocean, and the top was cut off to make for the island. From what I have read about the island, this is why the large ships would not be able to dock at a pier if it was built. Maybe I am wrong about this, but it seems logical as to why they have never built a pier with many ships in port on one given day.

So sweet of you to reply in such a friendly fashion to a post, do you fell better now? Perhaps you should take time out of your busy schedule and actually read what has been posted before you. Apk made the mistake of believing RCCL instead of consulting all the "wizards" here.

Oh, and you may not know this, but there is an E in the word wake.

Maybe you shouldn't type in your sleep, and then you wouldn't make such a basic mistake.

Something about glass houses and stones springs to mind. Sigh. Be nice children.

Look at the depth of the ocean around Grand Cayman. This may tell you something about why there has not been a pier built. Grand Cayman is like a mountain raising out of the ocean, and the top was cut off to make for the island. From what I have read about the island, this is why the large ships would not be able to dock at a pier if it was built. Maybe I am wrong about this, but it seems logical as to why they have never built a pier with many ships in port on one given day.

The biggest reason they haven't built docks in the past is due to the shallowness of the water close in and the fragile living reefs that surround the island.

Cayman has some of the best diving in world with beautiful and huge reefs all around. They won't do anything to harm them.

Apparently there have been times over the years where the possibility has come up but it's not been received well (some old newspaper accounts, etc.).

If you'll notice, the ships that are at anchor are carefully placed in a certain ranking order. I've often wondered if that is due to reefs off the far eastern point from the harbor.

For snorkelers, in most places you can just walk into the water from any beach and find excellent reef exploring.

Man, some of you people are just nasty. Ive never seen so many people eager to rip someone to shreds over a simple mistake. I hope it makes you all feel superior.

Merry Christmas!

I agree.

I was just thinking that some of the people here think they are so perfect and never make a mistake they do not need tenders they can walk ashore :rolleyes:

Mistakes are allowed.

Hopefully people will learn from their mistakes. :rolleyes:

Things do go wrong sometimes, but a good education (along with good problem solving skills) will go a long ways to helping a person to adapt to changing circumstances. ;)

If I am planning a trip I am always scoping out information. Who knows what you can come across? Good intel can help maximize the success rate of a vacation. On my European tours I always seemed to be the person the less adept travelers gravitated towards because I knew where I was going, what I wanted to do, and flexible enough to change my plans on a dime if something else looked more interesting.

I have no patience for people who are too lazy to educate themselves. :p :D

LOL wow this post was a complete waste of bandwidth. And, funny thing is, I don't think there was an ever a real official answer for the OP. :)

Oh, and in case you guys missed it, I think Grand Cayman is a tender port, but let me ask around and check my cruise photos to be sure. I'll post a response a little later today.

:D

Merry Christmas!

Archived