JOS misses Grandcayman yesterday

apk1389

GC is always hit or miss--can be very rough--

one time we got the last tender out--not worth it--we had to wait a long time for others on our excursions to make it to shore after they switched the tendering exit to the other side of the ship... some folks got injured on our tender by hitting their heads tyring to board--very choppy!!!

best days in GC are when the water is smooth (obviously) & fewer number of shps--otherwise best to stay on bd..

Not sure why it missed the port as OP asked, if it did?

Hopefully people will learn from their mistakes. :rolleyes:

Things do go wrong sometimes, but a good education (along with good problem solving skills) will go a long ways to helping a person to adapt to changing circumstances. ;)

If I am planning a trip I am always scoping out information. Who knows what you can come across? Good intel can help maximize the success rate of a vacation. On my European tours I always seemed to be the person the less adept travelers gravitated towards because I knew where I was going, what I wanted to do, and flexible enough to change my plans on a dime if something else looked more interesting.

I have no patience for people who are too lazy to educate themselves. :p :D

I also like to research my vacations, sometimes too much according to my DW, but I do not think it is either right or wrong for someone else to do the same! We all have our personalitie and quirks, and I do not think jumping on someone for making a legitimate mistake such as tendering or docking gives any of us the right to judge as we have! This poster just asked a simple question and was immediately attacked for something as frivolous as this. It kind of makes me sad to see people acting like this when I am trying to plan something I enjoy as much as a cruise

The decision is generally NOT made by the captain but made by the island's Port Authority -- they know when seas are too rough for tenders.

Cruisin Kay gets a STAR for answering the reason correctly! The decision was made by the Grand Cayman Port Authority.It is common for Grand Cayman to be missed. It's happened to us a few times so it was no big deal.

Captain James and crew found the other alternative - Key West. This may not always be the case for the person who asked what the alternative would be. It depends on the availability.

There were no other ships scheduled for Key West on Sunday. Normally the shops are closed. Shop Owners were notified about 4:30am that the JOS was arriving so most were opened by the store manager. We heard alot of fussing from those who had planned on doing Christmas Shopping in Grand Cayman. Hopefully they were able to get some of that done in Key West.

So.. there's the facts and the answer to why Grand Cayman was bypassed on 12/20.

Things do go wrong sometimes, but a good education (along with good problem solving skills) will go a long ways to helping a person to adapt to changing circumstances. ;)

If I am planning a trip I am always scoping out information. Who knows what you can come across? Good intel can help maximize the success rate of a vacation. On my European tours I always seemed to be the person the less adept travelers gravitated towards because I knew where I was going, what I wanted to do, and flexible enough to change my plans on a dime if something else looked more interesting.

GEEZ was that really necessary? "too lazy to educate themselves"? All from an innocent question and a few spelling errors?

There were no other ships scheduled for Key West on Sunday. Normally the shops are closed. Shop Owners were notified about 4:30am that the JOS was arriving so most were opened by the store manager. We heard alot of fussing from those who had planned on doing Christmas Shopping in Grand Cayman. Hopefully they were able to get some of that done in Key West.

How's that for the life of a store manager in a cruise port? I bet not too many of us have to be prepared to be called in to work at 4:30 in the morning on a scheduled day off. I'm sure some do, but fortunately, not me! :)

Theron

Believe it or not, there are people who do WAY too much research and know every single thing about every place they're going...and there are others who actually want to discover new things without preconceptions. I fall right in between. Doesn't mean anyone's lazy or you shouldn't have patience for them. They just want to discover things as brand new.

So when the idiots on your European tours ask you a basic question like, "So where will we find the Trevi Fountain and what exactly is it," do you tell them, "Next time don't be lazy! Do some homework!"

:)

And I have no patience for people who are hypercritical of others. Perhaps you should spend some time educating yourself on common courtesy.

Was there ever a different city that the cruises went to in the Caymans? About 15-20(?) years ago we were on NCL and we did dock, not tender, but there were small stores set up along the main road that sold typical gifts and all opened to the street. There were no gold, gemstone stores at that time. It was completely different than Georgetown of today. The cruise went to Cozumel, where we tendered, and then to unknown city in the Caymans. Just curious.

You tender in to the dock. :) We've been there when there were 7 ships parked at the same time.

At 10:55, 10:56, and 10:57, the errant poster was corrected three times.

Was that not sufficient? Should everyone registered here be required to demonstrate their superior cruise knowledge, by appearing in this thread to further browbeat the poster?

How many more pictures or posts will be needed until he/she is chastened enough for making a mistake?

That poster had the good grace to return to acknowledge the mistake.

What exactly is required now at this point or is this just an exercise by many of you in puffing yourself up at someone else's expense?

What poor manners and poor form.

Was that not sufficient? Should everyone registered here be required to demonstrate their superior cruise knowledge, by appearing in this thread to further browbeat the poster?

How many more pictures or posts will be needed until he/she is chastened enough for making a mistake?

What exactly is required now at this point or is this just an exercise by many of you in puffing yourself up at someone else's expense?

Sorry Mom.:rolleyes:

I think many times it's not a case of poor manners or poor form. People don't read the other responses before they chime in with their answers. It can be frustrating to read the same responses over and over. But I really do think most of the time it's just because the poster didn't have the patience to read through the thread before jumping in with their response.

Archived