Does Loyalty really mean anything?

Coochuck

Been reading a few items on the board. I was just thinking that if I only cruised with RCCL and never tried other lines, would I be cheating myself? I understand the marketing aspects of the cruise lines to try to keep you on 'only their ships', however to me the best deal and itinerary is the important thing. So far I have never been on a cruise that I haven't enjoyed. All ships on all lines to me are great. During these hard economic times all lines have cut back a bit on some 'Perks', and have added charges, but at least the Fuel Surcharges are gone for the time being. For me at least, I'll continue to go for the 'Best Deal', 'Best Itinery', and 'Best Ship' available, regardless of which Cruise Line is involved.

For the past few years we have given up loyalty to one cruise line in favor of picking our destination and price goals and making our choice.

The frequent cruiser programs are much less valuable than they used to be. Just like airline miles, they are worth less.

Also as we have gotten older, we are interested in less formal situations and the needed/required clothing. Airline baggage charges have influenced this decision as well.

Brand Loyalty has always been somewhat of a plastic carrot to me. It's like coupons, as far as I'm concerned. You want me to buy your product? Make it well and keep the price competitive. If you have to issue coupons to get me to buy it, then you're sinking money into promotion when it's probably better spent in R&D.

I'll pay YOU the 5 cents to keep the coupon off my front porch and out of my mailbox.

Cruiselines are just a product like anything else. Beat the price, offer great food, and/or go to amazing places that no one else goes and you get my business. And it will never, ever be guaranteed no matter how many savings cards you issue with my name emblazoned in gold, or how many calendars and refrigerator magnets you send me.

I can't say anything about frequent cruisers programs as I don't have any status with any cruise line, but I can tell you that airline status, especially top status works as advertised and gives you great perks.

When I started flying for business back in 2000 I had to chose an US owned airline since much of my travels was paid by the US government. I chose American Airlines and their OneWorld Partners. I flew anywhere between 100-125K miles a year. That gave me Executive Platinum status and all the perks that came with it. Free domestic upgrades (100% cleared), every year I got free 8 certs for upgrades anywhere AA flew, both upgrades perks were allowed from any economy fares (there was 1 or 2 deeply discounted fares that AA decided to exclude from the possibility of upgrades but that wasn't an issue because I would never buy these anyways as they also didn't earn miles and many times were not even available). Access to first class lounges AA's and any one of their partners with free sit down restaurants, free drinks, spa treatments, day rooms, etc, etc. Double miles on a paid ticket. Special security lines in just about any airport in the world. During the 7-8 years I flew almost a million miles and together with the bonuses I ended up with over 2 million miles which I used for first class travel with some of the best airlines in the world, as in Cathay Pacific, LAN, British Airways, Japan Airlines, etc,etc, all free.

You bet your a$$ I was loyal to AA. I did fly Delta and UA once for a short domestic trips but never even considered any other airline or alliance.

With over 2 million miles I qualified for mid (Platinum) status with AA and OW partners for the life of the program. It was a good thing as I stopped flying for business after I got married last year, but I still get all the perks without all that flying.

So, yes airline loyalty programs were very good to me and it worked for me.

That said, I will probably never get any status with a cruise line as I do prefer land vacations, but I do occasionally get a bug to sit out on a balcony of a ship and watch the world pass by but not often enough. I prefer sea days to any port days so it's difficult to find a short cruise with more seas days than port days and my wife runs her own business so she can't take 10-14 days off to do a transatlantic, at least not at the moment.

Our upcoming short cruise on RCCL was a Christmas gift to my wife. She was excited when she opened the envelope and read the cruise docs.

I don't think that loyalty to a cruise line means as much as it used to--especially on Royal Caribbean. We are Diamond Plus and my sister and her husband, as well as my Dad who also travels with us often are Diamond. We prefer the smaller ships and now only my husband and I are able to go to the Concierge Lounge. We are not people who have sailed all the 3 days cruises to get there, we have taken almost all 7 days, 1 4 day and 1 10 day those cruises being in at JS on some and a balcony on others.

There are so many decreases in the loyalty program on RCCL that we have opted to sail on other lines as well as an occasional trip on Royal Caribbean. We are also Platinum on Carnival and their loyalty program isn't as good as Royal's but their cruise prices are lower so it makes up for what we might be missing on Royal Caribbean.

I think it's a great experience to try other cruise lines. I love Celebrity and we might go back to sailing them again since they have improved their loyalty program in spite of being owned by RCI.

I think we would probably sail almost any line at least once if it were a newer ship and sailed from Pt Canaveral. We live close to the port and enjoy sailing from there. When HAL sailed from the port, we sailed on that too.

Each cruise line has good and bad, and most of the ones we have sailed have a lot in common. For example we sailed on NCL in Alaska and they had freestyle dining. Now almost all the major mid-priced lines are doing that in one way or another. We just sail with whatever line is doing what we want when we want it as long as the price is decent. Loyalty doesn't mean much to the cruise line so we don't feel the need to be loyal to any.

We are Diamond Plus and hope that RC will maintain and restore the Crown and Anchor program benefits that have been reduced. I think the Diamond Event on all ships was actually a pretty good compromise, but you know .. it's the little things like the Johhny Rockets coupon.

I remain loyal to RC mostly because of the consistent product (not always perfect, but for the most part consistent) and because of the Concierge Lounge. I feel like loyalty is a win/win situation .. I get some perqs and RC gets a cruise booking sold without having to do any marketing to me. I can guarantee you that RC spends more money specifically marketing to first-time cruisers than the bottle or three of La Terre that I'll consume on a cruise.

I can't say anything about frequent cruisers programs as I don't have any status with any cruise line, but I can tell you that airline status, especially top status works as advertised and gives you great perks.

When I started flying for business back in 2000 I had to chose an US owned airline since much of my travels was paid by the US government. I chose American Airlines and their OneWorld Partners. I flew anywhere between 100-125K miles a year. That gave me Executive Platinum status and all the perks that came with it. Free domestic upgrades (100% cleared), every year I got free 8 certs for upgrades anywhere AA flew, both upgrades perks were allowed from any economy fares (there was 1 or 2 deeply discounted fares that AA decided to exclude from the possibility of upgrades but that wasn't an issue because I would never buy these anyways as they also didn't earn miles and many times were not even available). Access to first class lounges AA's and any one of their partners with free sit down restaurants, free drinks, spa treatments, day rooms, etc, etc. Double miles on a paid ticket. Special security lines in just about any airport in the world. During the 7-8 years I flew almost a million miles and together with the bonuses I ended up with over 2 million miles which I used for first class travel with some of the best airlines in the world, as in Cathay Pacific, LAN, British Airways, Japan Airlines, etc,etc, all free.

You bet your a$$ I was loyal to AA. I did fly Delta and UA once for a short domestic trips but never even considered any other airline or alliance.

With over 2 million miles I qualified for mid (Platinum) status with AA and OW partners for the life of the program. It was a good thing as I stopped flying for business after I got married last year, but I still get all the perks without all that flying.

So, yes airline loyalty programs were very good to me and it worked for me.

That said, I will probably never get any status with a cruise line as I do prefer land vacations, but I do occasionally get a bug to sit out on a balcony of a ship and watch the world pass by but not often enough. I prefer sea days to any port days so it's difficult to find a short cruise with more seas days than port days and my wife runs her own business so she can't take 10-14 days off to do a transatlantic, at least not at the moment.

Our upcoming short cruise on RCCL was a Christmas gift to my wife. She was excited when she opened the envelope and read the cruise docs.

I have to take issue with your perks. You travelled for the government and gained "personal' perks. Doesn't seem right considering the taxpayers paid your fare. Maybe they should have offered discounted tickets rather than free first class for a vacation flight to Japan. I work for local governent and we are not permitted to receive perks or even a basket of fruit at Christmas from our vendors.

We figure if they are making too much profit from us, they should charge us less and not include gifts in their bid price.

Being a Diamond gets me is the Priority boarding. That is all I need. Will be thumb through the coupon book? Of course, but we will not go out of our way to buy something just because there is a small discount attached.

I am embarrassed by those that think they deserve to cut in line to get on a tender, or make a stink about a free drink, or demand a ship's employee kowtow to them because they are Diamond or Diamond Plus...

Everytime the Loyalty program comes up as a topic I recall the guy who bragged about being a Diamond Plus, bragged about how he never tipped, bragged about how he only books inside qty's to get the lowest price and bragged about how he never spent a penny on the ship.

Being a Diamond gets me is the Priority boarding. That is all I need.

I am embarrassed by those that think they deserve to cut in line to get on a tender, because they are Diamond or Diamond Plus...

you use your perk for priority boarding so I wonder why someone using their priority tender boarding would bother you or be any different?

you use your perk for priority boarding so I wonder why someone using their priority tender boarding would bother you or be any different?

When you get priority tender tickets you still have to wait in the line with other ticket holders. And once they start calling the later numbers, if you get in line later, you can't cut ahead. So if you have a #1 and you arrive later, you may have to wait behind #2s and #3s. That's how they work it.

I have to take issue with your perks. You travelled for the government and gained "personal' perks. Doesn't seem right considering the taxpayers paid your fare. Maybe they should have offered discounted tickets rather than free first class for a vacation flight to Japan. I work for local governent and we are not permitted to receive perks or even a basket of fruit at Christmas from our vendors.

We figure if they are making too much profit from us, they should charge us less and not include gifts in their bid price.

I should have been more clearer on who paid for my flying. I worked for a private company that had contracts with US government. They bid the contract and if they won it, one of the requirements was that their employees used US based airline to travel domestically and international whenever possible. Once the contract was accepted by the Dept of Defense because of the best bid, why should they care how the company decided to pay for our travel. I did not work for the government.

We are Diamond and nearly D+. I was not happy with the cuts in the loyalty program, however, it is the reality of our times. All things considered, it still gives us some benefits. The most important, IMHO, is the comparable level recognition on the sister lines, such as Celebrity.

celebrity recently upgraded their program to offer free drinks for the Elites in Michael's Club every evening. It was presented very well and we enjoyed it every evening of our Panama Canal cruise.

Sorry, I was not clear...the moron that cuts into the front of the line, not the person who has a tendr ticket....the dufus who thinks he can do darn near anything he wants....that clown!

And yes, I am one of those obnoxious folks who would advise him that cutting in front of me would lead to some level of unpleasantness...to be determined by his ignorance.

Clearer??

I agree that airline miles are much more valuable than any perks from the cruiselines. I flew nine people from New York to Puerto Rico last Thanksgiving and I've flown my husband and I first class from NY to Hawaii many years ago.

I am platinum on RCCL and except for priority boarding, there isn't anything worthwhile. That is not enough to keep me loyal to them. Fortunately, I have been on many cruiselines, some that no longer exist, and my loyalties are gone.

I don't think that loyalty to a cruise line means as much as it used to--especially on Royal Caribbean.

There are so many decreases in the loyalty program on RCCL that we have opted to sail on other lines as well as an occasional trip on Royal Caribbean. We are also Platinum on Carnival and their loyalty program isn't as good as Royal's but their cruise prices are lower so it makes up for what we might be missing on Royal Caribbean.

I am diamond on RC, and cruised Carnival and Princess but have no status with them. Based on my own experience with Royal, and what I've heard and read of other lines, Royal still has one of the best loyalty programs around. Sure, they have made cuts recently, but what do those cuts really amount to? A few less coupons in the coupon book? Ok, so maybe $15 or $20 there in the loss of b1g1 drink coupons and JR cover charge. No more free tote bag or hat? Again, maybe $15 there. And no more entry into the concierge lounge, but the new diamond event on ships without a diamond lounge sort of cancels that out. So the cuts really only add up to $20 or $30 worth of freebies. I still get priority boarding, I still get a balcony discount, and I still get a free drink or two each night in either the diamond event or diamond lounge. Frankly, I feel those are nice enough perks. But while they are a nice "thank you," they aren't the reason I choose RCI. I choose RCI because on my 7 RCI cruises I have had overall better, more consistent service, than on the 3 non-RCI cruises.

We're both platinum, and while our perks have been cut, we like going on RCI because we know what we're going to get. I think that's an aspect of loyalty that should be considered. To me and my bf, our cruise is about relaxing, not the perks, and since we already know the process for the mdr, the wj, etc, it takes some of the "stress" out of our vacation. I know it's a little thing, but my first cruise was kind of overwhelming and I didn't know what to expect. I spent half of it trying to figure out what a "tender" was and how to navigate Princess's equivalent of the WJ. On RCI, no matter the size of the ship, you pretty much know what you'll get, and it's great.

Not to hijack this thread but my husband did work for the Feds and had to travel frequently and earned ff miles in the process. When you factor in the hours he traveled "off the clock"--weekends, late hours, birthdays of the sons, anniversaries, sports games the boys participated in and other family events he had to miss because of travel. I did not feel the least bit guilty cashing in those miles to fly our family to England one year or back East to visit grandparents.

At one point the Government said those miles had to be turned back in (of course, the Congressmen exempted themselves) but it proved unworkable because the airlines refused to set up a separate account for their business travel. He figured out what he had earned on company travel but when they went to use the ff miles, the seats were unavailable to mesh with where he needed to be when he needed to be there. Enough was enough and he wasn't about to fit his travel schedule around seat availablity reqiuring him to fly at midnight or go in a day early for a meeting. The Government decided to abandon that idea. He did use SWA certificates a few times, though for business travel.

Those frequent flyer miles were about the only perk he got while working at NASA. As the OP stated, he couldn't even accept so much as a coffee mug at Christmas from a contractor let alone a dinner or party invite. And, when they were negotiating contracts? We had to pass up social invitations from friends if one of the contractor's employees were going to be there. If we turned up at a social event and a contractor came, we left immediately.

Tucker in Texas

We are "Loyal to Royal" and Air Canada/Aeroplan. In both cases, the level of service and the products offered suit us.

We are now D+ with Royal and enjoy the amenities offered under the Crown and Anchor Society Program. Yes, some things have been cut but overall we consider our RCI cruises as providing best value for money.

The same applies to the Airlines; Air Canada offers good legroom, flight schedules and customer service. We sometimes have to fly other airlines but always check with Air Canada first.

Kathy:)

When you get priority tender tickets you still have to wait in the line with other ticket holders. And once they start calling the later numbers, if you get in line later, you can't cut ahead. So if you have a #1 and you arrive later, you may have to wait behind #2s and #3s. That's how they work it.

I agree with you 100 %... We would never squeeze past other cruisers in the tender line to use our priority tender tickets.....Rude and self serving...No thanks....:eek:....JMHO.

Been reading a few items on the board. I was just thinking that if I only cruised with RCCL and never tried other lines, would I be cheating myself? I understand the marketing aspects of the cruise lines to try to keep you on 'only their ships', however to me the best deal and itinerary is the important thing. So far I have never been on a cruise that I haven't enjoyed. All ships on all lines to me are great. During these hard economic times all lines have cut back a bit on some 'Perks', and have added charges, but at least the Fuel Surcharges are gone for the time being. For me at least, I'll continue to go for the 'Best Deal', 'Best Itinery', and 'Best Ship' available, regardless of which Cruise Line is involved.

You would be cheating yourself if you did not try other lines.Be loyal to friends and family not a cruise line

You have tried other lines and ships........by your signature.

If you never tried another cruising experience beside Royal Caribbean.......would you be cheating yourself???

My first time on a cruise ship......was with Princess, and it was "priceless"! No other cruise line......no matter how fancy or expensive, will ever outdo the experience I had on the old original "Love Boat"!

Some know the story........others can check it out using my CC name.

Unfortunately, and I know that Princess has no clue, I will never sail with them again......until an apology is made. They made such a big mistake with us in 2003, and have lost us forever.

Looking at my sig.......you will see that we have cruised quite a few lines, some of which are out of business.

For every person that Mr. Goldstein has lost, so has Mr. Arison lost someone to RCCL.

Rick

Big business shot itself in the foot quite a few years ago when they changed the word customer to guest. We heard slogans like "a guest today is a guest for life" BS!!!!! A guest is still a customer. Up until this year they would do anything to keep a "guest". We see it everyday here on cruisecritic.com. People complain about the most petty things and write the cruise line in hopes of a discount or onboard credit on a future cruise. It is great to see that the cruise lines do not give compensation to someone that does not have a legitimate gripe. And if the cruise line doesn't compensate you the way you think they should, sail with somebody else. It's a business. Don't be loyal to them, because they really are not that loyal to you.

I'm Platinum on Carnival, but it did not keep me from trying RCI. I enjoyed the new experience, even though I didn't get my perks. The only thing I truly missed was the free laundry service Carnival gives. I send stuff daily, which allows me to pack way less.

Archived