Cabin misrepresented

LoveAces

I've got to say you've had some rough times but I do feel that most, or all, of the situations you site do not merit any compensation. The fact that you're expecting it in so many circumstances indicates you're expectations for compensation might be unrealistic.

The plumbing problem is the worst in my opinion, and it would have been nice for the cruise line to have done something special for you because this is the only example you gave where the cruise line is clearly at fault. But if they did move you to another cabin ASAP then I think they've done their duty.

Room service person walking in on your cabin? No offense but did you think the room service person wouldn't come if you ordered and then went into the shower? What did you expect them to do? General advice: When in a cruise stateroom, or a hotel room, and don't want to be disturbed I'd suggest locking the door and/or putting out the do not disturb sign.

Port cancelled due to weather? Why on earth would the cruise line be responsible for giving you compensation for a common event where they put your safty first? Exactly what course of action do you think the Captain should have followed as an alternative?

A general recommendation: If anyone is booking a private excursion make sure the cost is refundable if the cruise ship can't dock for any reason - most excursion operators offer this in order to attract cruise customers because there is always a risk of this happening.

Jewelry lost or stolen? How does the cruise line know your story is true or that they were responsible? If someone stole my $20,000 Rolex that I left on the stateroom counter does the cruise line owe me a free drink (hopefully a really stiff shot of Jack), $200, a free cruise or the full $20,000? I would highly recommend keeping valuables locked in the safe when you're not in the room and insuring them as well.

And just because we're all dying to know: Please, please, tell us about the other "unmentionable incidents".

Well put Crazy Cruzer.

If you don't want Room Service opening your door use the "Do not distrub sign" thats what it is for. Remember when you booked your room service for.

Cancelled port - lost refund - claim on your travel insurance if this cover is provided.

Lost Jewellery - claim on your travel insurance.

I'm in Millennium 6108 on Sept. 2. I knew when I booked the balcony was smaller and less private. (but it's midship and right next to our traveling companions). After reading all these posts, I'm hoping it won't "ruin my whole trip". Our 3rd time on the Millie, which we love, so I'm optimistic. LOL Will report back if we find it thaaat bad.

The balcony looks extra silly with the CC table -- I don't now why they didn't make a small effort to represent it more accurately on the deck plan.

It should at the very least have had an icon directing you to the small print. I'd be pissed.

My DH and I had the misfortune of spending 13 days in room 8108 in 2006. I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this is also a very windy balcony! We were on an Alaskan cruise during May and the wind made it almost unbearable for us to sit on the balcony on sea days. We refused to let it get us down. We put on extra warm clothing, grabbed a hot cup of coffe, sqished ourselves into the two chairs and tried to not go in and out of the cabin very often since that was quite an ordeal in itself.

More than just being a bit irritated over the small balcony, there was absolutly no privacy. If I sat at the large end of the wedge facing the table, I was looking right into the living area of the person in the Celebrity Suite next door. I am sure they were about as thrilled with this arrangement as we were. After a couple of days, they fixed the privacy issue by lowering thier blinds on our side of the cabin. We were very grateful for their sacrifice of some of the view from their living area.

We learned our lesson the hard way and when we arrived home talked to our TA about the balcony issue in 8108 so that no one else that uses our TA would have to find this out the way we did. Balcony issue aside it was a wonderful cruise!

8108 and the other cabins next to the Celebrity Suites have small wedge shaped verandas which are dreadful. They should be excluded from Concierge class and sold at a reduced rate. They have a nice midship location, but are lacking in privacy. Lots of people book it and are shocked to see how small the veranda is...doesn't seem to be smaller on the deck plan.

My DH and I had the misfortune of spending 13 days in room 8108 in 2006. I am not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but this is also a very windy balcony! We were on an Alaskan cruise during May and the wind made it almost unbearable for us to sit on the balcony on sea days. We refused to let it get us down. We put on extra warm clothing, grabbed a hot cup of coffe, sqished ourselves into the two chairs and tried to not go in and out of the cabin very often since that was quite an ordeal in itself.

More than just being a bit irritated over the small balcony, there was absolutly no privacy. If I sat at the large end of the wedge facing the table, I was looking right into the living area of the person in the Celebrity Suite next door. I am sure they were about as thrilled with this arrangement as we were. After a couple of days, they fixed the privacy issue by lowering thier blinds on our side of the cabin. We were very grateful for their sacrifice of some of the view from their living area.

We learned our lesson the hard way and when we arrived home talked to our TA about the balcony issue in 8108 so that no one else that uses our TA would have to find this out the way we did. Balcony issue aside it was a wonderful cruise!

Just throwing this out there:

A Celebrity Suite passenger will probably have more juice at Guest Services...why not make them as uncomfortable as you can? Maybe their input might work in your favor.

Deck plan genus.com lists almost all ships and their staterooms with all pros and cons and does list this room with a small private balcony. I have used this site several times and it's been right every time.

Hope this helps on your next cruise.

I checked deckplangenius and found it to have very incorrect information on the Solstice cabins. Actually, very little information. I am in 2146 and it did not even list it as an aft cabin let alone a desirable cabin. It lists 2147 as an aft cabin and it is not.

Friends have 6304 and it states it is located below a restaurant and it is not.

It is a good website but, make sure you use other sources to confirm the statements.

I booked 8100 on Summit for b2b in November 2012 and just checked the reservation and my cabin is now a partially obstructed view cabin, which it was not before (I not only researched it on Celebrity's site, but another website that reviews cabins before booking - no mention of an obstruction). It looks like they added a number of new partially obstructed view cabins. I'm out far enough where I can change, because I would be pretty ticked if I book a full view cabin and then it turned into a partially obstructed view cabin and I was never notified.

I think out of just good customer service, Celebrity should notify those customers in these recently changed cabins and give them options to change.

Thanks Ma Bell. I looked through the whole post and couldn't find what ship she was referencing, and didn't see the great big 'Equinox' at the start of the Title.

But I have an excuse - I'm a guy.....and I drive my wife nuts not finding things sitting right in front of me in the open.

Denny

Boy Brains

What is the benefit to a sliding glass door? Our afts have one that doesn't shut right unless you stick a magazine or something in it, and often it will just lock automatically, leaving you locked out on your deck! I think a swinging door would be much safer.

Just curious- how do you get back in if you get locked out?

It does clearly state it in their books that these cabins are either partially obstructed or smaller verandas & semi private

When I booked in May, there were only two cabins (both for smaller veranda and semi private) that were listed on the Celebrity website. They also were selling Aqua class cabins, which were nowhere to be found on the deck plans. I do my research - even now if you check one of the websites that gives cabin advice, they still only list the two with the smaller verandas on deck 8, not the new partially obstructed view ones (I did notify them that they need to change their information as Celebrity has made some changes).

I'm lucky, I found this early and my TA has changed my cabin, but I feel for those that don't recheck their reservations and will have a partially obstructed view, even though Celebrity did not have it listed at the time they booked.

I a big believer in customer service and feel that when Celebrity made these changes (I'm guess at the last drydock), they should notify customers of changes.

Here is what Celebrity is now saying:

Note:

Staterooms 6106, 7140, 8061, 8067, 8069, 8072, 8074, 8098, 8100, 8106, 9064, 9066, 9071, 9073, 9090, 9092, and 9098 have partially obstructed views.

Staterooms 7142, 8102, 8108, 9094, and 9100 have smaller verandas that are semi-private.

Here is what the site that reviews cabins says about partially obstructed views and smaller semi-private rooms:

Exterior cabins 8067, 8069, and 8074 have partially obstructed views.

Outside cabins 8102 and 8108 have smaller, semi-private verandas on Deck 8 of the Summit.

Celebrity obviously made a number of changes recently. They went from 3 with partially obstruced views on deck 8 to 8 with partially obstruced views.

When I booked in May, there were only two cabins (both for smaller veranda and semi private) that were listed on the Celebrity website. They also were selling Aqua class cabins, which were nowhere to be found on the deck plans. I do my research - even now if you check one of the websites that gives cabin advice, they still only list the two with the smaller verandas on deck 8, not the new partially obstructed view ones (I did notify them that they need to change their information as Celebrity has made some changes).

I'm lucky, I found this early and my TA has changed my cabin, but I feel for those that don't recheck their reservations and will have a partially obstructed view, even though Celebrity did not have it listed at the time they booked.

I a big believer in customer service and feel that when Celebrity made these changes (I'm guess at the last drydock), they should notify customers of changes.

Here is what Celebrity is now saying:

Note:

Staterooms 6106, 7140, 8061, 8067, 8069, 8072, 8074, 8098, 8100, 8106, 9064, 9066, 9071, 9073, 9090, 9092, and 9098 have partially obstructed views.

Staterooms 7142, 8102, 8108, 9094, and 9100 have smaller verandas that are semi-private.

Here is what the site that reviews cabins says about partially obstructed views and smaller semi-private rooms:

Exterior cabins 8067, 8069, and 8074 have partially obstructed views.

Outside cabins 8102 and 8108 have smaller, semi-private verandas on Deck 8 of the Summit.

Celebrity obviously made a number of changes recently. They went from 3 with partially obstruced views on deck 8 to 8 with partially obstruced views.

I totally agree with you & unfortunately I found out the hard way as well,we are booked on the Constellation on the TA in Nov 2011 & recently found out that the cabin we chose 8111 was 50% blocked balcony, so now this is costing us a lot of money to change but I will not go across the Atlantic with the blockage, had I read the small print or had I known I would never of booked this cabin, but it was there in their book.

I totally agree with you & unfortunately I found out the hard way as well,we are booked on the Constellation on the TA in Nov 2011 & recently found out that the cabin we chose 8111 was 50% blocked balcony, so now this is costing us a lot of money to change but I will not go across the Atlantic with the blockage, had I read the small print or had I known I would never of booked this cabin, but it was there in their book.

Sorry about your situation. I did talk with Celebrity today and they told me it was the window washing equipment. He did agree that he would be ticked if he paid for a full view cabin and got partial view. Last cruise, one of my table mates had it in front of them the whole cruise and complained. The good news, they told me that they were solving that problem in January 2012...I'm guessing they are going to another system (I also cruise on Crystal and over the years have never seen any window washing equipment, only gentleman on my balcony cleaning the windows).

Hi--we were in caabin 8115 in July on Connie and knew in advanace about the "partial obstruction". Honestly, do NOT spend more money to change cabins. The equipment sat far off to the side and did not in any way impede our view except if we wanted to photograph something that just happened to be blocked by the equipment. Unless you're trying to snap a photo of a whale or something moving, if you just wait a moment until the ship moves, you'll have a great photo. There is no obstruction, down, up, straight ahead or left-only to the far right. 8111 is a great cabin-great room steward--Pinto---don't move!!!!!

Here is a shot of that window cleaning structure on Connie. It doesn't block the view any where close to 50% as it is usually positioned between the cabins. The Panorama deck (8) balconies are the lower ones in this shot and are block less than the deck 9. This is which shown better by the second shot which is of the aft window washing structure.

attachment.php?attachmentid=204777&d=1314534609

attachment.php?attachmentid=204778&d=1314534960

DSC08078.jpg.21db24ad3325155763785fe85dad15de.jpg

DSC08079.jpg.de3b1c3b68194f0d946992b11524fbab.jpg

I checked deckplangenius and found it to have very incorrect information on the Solstice cabins. Actually, very little information. I am in 2146 and it did not even list it as an aft cabin let alone a desirable cabin. It lists 2147 as an aft cabin and it is not.

Friends have 6304 and it states it is located below a restaurant and it is not.

It is a good website but, make sure you use other sources to confirm the statements.

Agree, our cabin on the Eclipse (9239) isn't even listed on their 'whole deck cabin list'

I booked 8100 on Summit for b2b in November 2012 and just checked the reservation and my cabin is now a partially obstructed view cabin, which it was not before (I not only researched it on Celebrity's site, but another website that reviews cabins before booking - no mention of an obstruction). It looks like they added a number of new partially obstructed view cabins. I'm out far enough where I can change, because I would be pretty ticked if I book a full view cabin and then it turned into a partially obstructed view cabin and I was never notified.

I think out of just good customer service, Celebrity should notify those customers in these recently changed cabins and give them options to change.

The cabins themselves have probably not changed - =X= is now telling folks in advance about the obstructions.

Archived