Decided to go unformal in April

deborahjo

I've decided to forgo the two formal nights and pack a couple extra sweatshirts instead. With the weather forcast for this coming week (I leave on Saturday for the Western Caribbean) . . . it's gonna be very chilly to say the least. I'll be very happy to grab something to eat on Lido Deck on those two formal evenings.

I used to love to dress to the nine for formal nights but . . . with the weight restrictions airlines now have ($125 for one pound over on United flights) . . . I'd rather be warm . . . . :p

DH and I have decided to leave the tux and long dresses at home this cruise. Will take nice slacks and dress shirts and ties for DH and black slacks and dressy tops for me. Anyone else doing the same.

Hi, we will be right there with you. For a few cruises, DH rented a tux, it was fun, but we're done with that. Its a lot of preparation and packing, for a short dinner, then everyone runs back to the room and gets into something more comfy. Nice outfits do just fine, and keep it simple.

Honestly I am torn. I am a HAL veteran so wearing my wool suit would be dressing down on formal night on a HAL ship.

I understand the CCL rules and at first thought I would wear the whole deal anyhow because after reading all the threads about dress code over the last few months, seems like a lot dress up and a lot not so much (there are some threads mentioning shorts and baseball caps on elegant night). But honeslty, when pounding down a 5000 calorie dinner, I do get hot under the collar with a tie on. Then I decided to forget the tie part, just wear the slacks and coat which would take care of the overheating (not the over eating). Now I am leaning towards forget the coat part too.

It's not the packing part, we are driving a whopping 20-25 minutes to get to the ship. Its the fit in part,,don't want to stick out being over dressed. Ooh,,I had an idea,,I'll wear the suit to embarkation,,then I won't have to pack it at all.

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this one, and this is just my own thoughts and feelings and everyone is welcome to dress any way they like, but I don't see why its such a "hassle" to dress formal on formal night.

I guess if someone goes on a lot of cruises the formal nights might not be a big deal, but we only go on one cruise every 5 years or so, so I like to make the 2 out of 7 nights as special as possible. And when there is a lot of other people dressed in comfortable casual clothes on formal night it does affect the feeling/mood of my formal night. Not a lot, but it does affect it.

I know it will never happen, but I do wish everyone did respect the attire on the formal nights.

I know times have changed but it seems that a lot of people have lost there respect for those special events in life. At one time people used to dress in suits/ties and nice dressed for church on Sundays, every Sunday. Now I see people wearing sweat pants in church. And maybe this is the way the cruise indistry is going. 10 years from now maybe "Formal night" will official be changed to "sweat pants" night. Just joking. :D:D

Please don't jump all over me. These are just my weird thoughts on this subject.

I don't think it is so much the "hassle" and I don't think it really has to do with how many cruises you've been on. There is a "hassle" to dealing with luggage if you're travelling by air. If you have a lot of other luggage, then you might have to choose between your formal clothes and other things.

To me it is the comfort and enjoyment. Being stuck in a stuffy room in a wool suit or a tux is very uncomfortable, no matter how well it fits or how expensive the material is. People generally go on vacation to relax, not to make themselves uncomfortable.

On the issue of "respect for special events", I'm not entirely sure how that applies to eating a meal on a cruise ship. If you view dinner as a special event, then I guess you will act in a particular way. But is a dinner on a cruise ship a "special event" that is different from the shore excursion or the day by the pool? If you're on vacation and you want to relax and you just view the meal as a meal, then I don't think it is a special event. And I don't think you can designate it as a special event for everyone just because you feel it is a special event for you. We're all just eating a meal in a dining room. It's not as if you're going to a (semi-formal) wedding. I think as long as you're respecting the ship's dress code, I don't see how anyone can complain.

I don't think it is so much the "hassle" and I don't think it really has to do with how many cruises you've been on. There is a "hassle" to dealing with luggage if you're travelling by air. If you have a lot of other luggage, then you might have to choose between your formal clothes and other things.

To me it is the comfort and enjoyment. Being stuck in a stuffy room in a wool suit or a tux is very uncomfortable, no matter how well it fits or how expensive the material is. People generally go on vacation to relax, not to make themselves uncomfortable.

On the issue of "respect for special events", I'm not entirely sure how that applies to eating a meal on a cruise ship. If you view dinner as a special event, then I guess you will act in a particular way. But is a dinner on a cruise ship a "special event" that is different from the shore excursion or the day by the pool? If you're on vacation and you want to relax and you just view the meal as a meal, then I don't think it is a special event. And I don't think you can designate it as a special event for everyone just because you feel it is a special event for you. We're all just eating a meal in a dining room. It's not as if you're going to a (semi-formal) wedding. I think as long as you're respecting the ship's dress code, I don't see how anyone can complain.

I agree 100%. The more I cruise the less I pack. My first few cruises were 7 nights, I packed enough for 15 days LOL

Next week will be our 19th cruise and it's short one. We have been discussing leaving the tux and formal clothes home, too. We probably still will go formal on our 7-day cruises, but I'm less inclined to do it for the 3-5-day cruises. I'm glad to see this post and that there are others who feel the same way.

I am impressed that this board hasn't gotten too ugly, this is always a sensitive subject. I think what you the OP is planning to wear is perfectly fine and certainly within the dress code.

I am also one of the strange people that enjoys playing dress up and my 16 year old boys actually look forward to it as well (hubby is okay with whatever). I could honestly care very little about what others wear, although I strongly dislike men in sleeveless shirts.

I have to disagree w/the statement that they would be among the dressiest in the dining room on elegant night. On our last cruise (Dream, 12/3), many people were in suits/tuxedos and cocktail dresses/evening gowns. I definitely agree that when flying it gets difficult, I just don't get the baggage fees!!!!!

The most important thing is for each individual to enjoy their VACATION!

Yes many people wear the evening gowns and tuxs and I see nothing wrong with that. I am just beyond that now. I loved the experience at first but we are on vacation and want to relax.

As far as "respect for the special event". For me that is stepping foot on that cruise ship. I will dress for the supper club but that is it. I am far from jeans and t shirts. I reserve that for Bonanza. But I will bring my nice dress shirts to wear with my heels and slacks and DH will bring a few ties to wear. We are just beyond all the formality.

I for one do not do the tie thing, just not a tie guy. I wear dress shorts and a polo shirt on normal nights and slip into a pair of pants, button shirt and Jacket, which I quickly remove once reaching the table.

I am vacationing, relaxing and having fun while cruising. For me getting dressed up is not relaxing nor fun. Now I know that others love the glitz and all and I can respect that.

That is what I like about Carnival's dress policy for the dining rooms. What ever level within the guidelines that makes you happy then you should enjoy the dining experience. What someone else is wearing should not impact your fun and enjoyment at dinner one way or another.

What I could see happening down the road with the anytime dining is it becoming a more casual dining experience and the traditional dining staying more formal leaning.

Hi, we will be right there with you. For a few cruises, DH rented a tux, it was fun, but we're done with that. Its a lot of preparation and packing, for a short dinner, then everyone runs back to the room and gets into something more comfy. Nice outfits do just fine, and keep it simple.

Almost there...........

I always have worn a suit and tie on formal nights now elegant and I will keep wearing it My Gf and I like 'Dresing up' as she says I dont wear suits at home that much so she likes seeing me in mine

I normally have 2-3 suits(depends on length) on a cruise This time I will bring only one with 2 ties and shirts to match my GF gowns

But what Im seeing is more casual and more casual attire every cruise I go on So your fine with what your wearing

DH and I have decided to leave the tux and long dresses at home this cruise. Will take nice slacks and dress shirts and ties for DH and black slacks and dressy tops for me. Anyone else doing the same.

No we are not. Dh is wearing a tux and I am probably wearing a long dress. We don't mind dressing up. Dh looks sooooo sexy in a tux. We don't get to dress up that often so it is nice.

You will look okay though so don't worry about it.

yes. No formal for us in feb. We're sailing with a large group and they don't do the tux/full length thing...so we are going a bit more casual and to be honest, I'm not unhappy about it this time.

Hubby owns a tux and I have more sequins than a Vegas production show, but we have started leaving them home the last 2 cruises. He brings a suit and I bring dressy outfits. But I miss the formal nights. I wear jeans to work every day and love to get all glammy on a cruise. But with the luggage surcharges these days we cut back clothes. We still have as much fun but we miss that aspect of it.

The last few cruises the wife and I have just taken shorts and eaten at the buffet. So liberating. lol

One carryon each and we are good to go.

Our Alaska cruise we took long pants though but only ate in the dining room 2 nights.

Bill

You have hit on a trend and judging from responses you may be giving it a boost as well ...

I think I may have packed a tie and jacket last time, but we have also scaled way back on clothes and packing ... we carried our own bags on last time and it was really amusing how little of the cavernous storage space we used ... and still didn't lack for anything! One big bag, one medium, and two small for 2 people ... might do a little more this time since we are driving to the Pride.

In 20+ cruises, I've only gone black tie twice. All the other times were either dark suit or jacket and tie. So we've been doing this for a while.

I told DH he could leave his suit home on our April cruise, he was so happy you would have thought I told him he won the lottery:p

Archived