East Coast Cruise Ports?

cruiseapril

Are there any cruises from Philadelphia now?

There are no cruises scheduled to depart from Philadelphia in 2010 or any year after...There has been talk that they are trying to to get a cruise line to use the port...Living in the area I hope so but will be surprised if they get one.

Guest LoveMyBoxer

I had posted a while back about paying extra (the difference in paying for a flight to FL or other port) to sail from NYC. I had also said that if the sailings from NYC weren't profitable then why is NCL and RCI "embedded" in NYC with year-round sailings! We sailed the Noordam twice on the two Holiday cruises from NYC. Both times, the ship was at full capacity and premium prices were paid! I understand that whole fuel thing with 2 sea days getting to the Caribbean, but with so many ships sailing from FL, I'm sure they are not all sailing full as the Noordam did from NYC each and every time, with fares costing much more than those from FL. Yes, we are already booked on the Veendam to Bermuda. Of all the options out there, HAL is the best. In the past, when we needed our Bermuda "fix" we had to sail NCL, which is not that bad when you sail in a suite.

We have taken three cruises that left out of Norfolk, Va, and thought it was very convenient. One, on the Amsterdam, went one way through the Panama Canal, and two on the Maasdam that did a Southern Caribbean. The last was several years ago, and then HAL stopped sailing out of Norfolk. They have a lovely newer cruise terminal, and it's only a few hours drive from our home. All three HAL cruises we took were full. Carnival and RCL do a few cruises out of there, but not many. We would love to see HAL come back to Norfolk!!!

Have often wondered if Providence, RI could be developed into a profitable cruise port.

Oh, wouldn't it be loverly! :) But I wouldn't hold back on booking something else while I wait for that to happen.

More from Boston, as things stand, would be great.

That would be fine with me, too. Although I would like to see some varied itineraries from Boston. I don't want to do the NE/Canada cruise again. I've done the Voyage of the Vikings several times, and although I would do it again, I would like to see something mid-length that's round-trip from Boston. The Canadian Maritimes plus touching on Greenland would be a nice addition to the choices.

You already have more ports than the west coast. The shortest flight from Arizona to the east coast is four hours. Everyone does not live on or near the east coast.

You're right but where are the ships going to sail to? Hawaii? HAL does that. Alaska....... Everyone does that. Mexico. HAL does that itinerary also.

To do Caribbean Islands, we're talking lots of time, money and Panama Canal.

< snip>

, I would like to see something mid-length that's round-trip from Boston. The Canadian Maritimes plus touching on Greenland would be a nice addition to the choices.

I'd love if they added a 'touch' on Greenland to the Canada/New England itinerary. That would be outstanding.

Please bring the Noordam back to the Northeast, NYC or Boston seems to be a loud plea. HAL , are you listening. I, for one, would pay more to be able to cruise from NY. I do believe if the air hassles continue to get worse, and I think they will, we will see at least one ship coming back. One can hope.

I totally agree.The cost of airfare and hotel adds more than $700 to the cost of our cruise. Considering the cost of flights and hotel room, it would be a better choice to pay more for the cruise and sail from NY. HAL--Please hear our plea--Bring the Noordam back to NY!

Oh Ruth, I like the way you think. ;) Something mid-length from Boston would be perfect. I bet lots of people would be interested. Sign me up! I'm sure Sail would be there too.

:) You Betcha........ sign us up!

I totally agree.The cost of airfare and hotel adds more than $700 to the cost of our cruise. Considering the cost of flights and hotel room, it would be a better choice to pay more for the cruise and sail from NY. HAL--Please hear our plea--Bring the Noordam back to NY!

I wish we could buy air Boston to FLL round trip, hotel, breakfast, lunch and dinner, taxis, tips for $700. It would be a bargain. :) If we fly to the ship, we almost always go two days in advance for 'safety sake'. DH likes to have a small wind down to start his vacation before boarding the ship.

From airport to Black Falcon Cruise Terminal in Boston is ten minutes through Ted Williams Tunnel. Couldn't be easier ;) Much easier than any of the New York area airports.

They tried it in New York. Seems it didn't work out well for them or they'd still have Noordam (or some other ship) there.

Carol,

While I hope you are right about HAL returning to Northeast, I hope you're wrong re: more air hassles. :(

Just checked the Canadian TSA and you should all check it if you'll be transiting "in or out" of Canada this year! NO Carry-on Bag allowed, only a small bag for Medical Necessities or diapers and formula for babies, and your Camera. Pretty much limited..........I see us wearing PJ's in the future!

It appears HAL doesn't really care about us northeasterners. What a shame.

I don't think it's that they don't care. The cost of fuel is a huge expense. Running ships from that far north to the Caribbean would be costly. Caribbean cruises are generally not long enough to support the extra 1000 miles or so to run from the north east to the Caribbean and then do it again to get home. I understand why they don't do it. I don't like it as it would be oh so convenient to catch a ship out of Baltimore, but I understand.

Just checked the Canadian TSA and you should all check it if you'll be transiting "in or out" of Canada this year! NO Carry-on Bag allowed, only a small bag for Medical Necessities or diapers and formula for babies, and your Camera. Pretty much limited..........I see us wearing PJ's in the future!

Whew........ Am I ever relieved we are booked for Boston to Montreal to Boston, back-to-back. NO Airports!!! Another reason to really love our annual Canada/New England cruises on Maasdam.

Thanks for the information.

Glad our Alaskan cruise this year is round trip from

Seattle.

More from Boston........

I'd jump for joy to have Maasdam or Noordam do a Caribbean round trip from Boston. That is top of my fantasy list. :D

Much as I'd love that, I'm not counting on it. ;)

A few years ago I did Noordam out of NYC to Caribbean.. it was wonderful!

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Really? I'm shocked. We are Canadians and travel all the time. We are permitted one carry on, our camera and all the normal stuff. I don't understand why they would have this rule when people travelling from Canda do it?:confused:

Kazu,

This is a very old thread that was brought forward today. The 'news' about TSA Canada is very old and has since been changed. Not to worry. You can bring the carrry on you are accustomed to.

I did a double take to check the date of all the posts and noticed how old this thread is.

:) But my sentiments haven't changed..... I'd still love for Maasdam, Noordam or any 'dam' ship to sail round trip Boston to Caribbean. Still would be ecstatic to sail to warm weather in the winter from Boston. :)

We loved when we sailed Noordam from New York but Boston would be The Best!!! :)

Kazu,

This is a very old thread that was brought forward today. The 'news' about TSA Canada is very old and has since been changed. Not to worry. You can bring the carrry on you are accustomed to.

I did a double take to check the date of all the posts and noticed how old this thread is.

:) But my sentiments haven't changed..... I'd still love for Maasdam, Noordam or any 'dam' ship to sail round trip Boston to Caribbean. Still would be ecstatic to sail to warm weather in the winter from Boston. :)

We loved when we sailed Noordam from New York but Boston would be The Best!!! :)

oops:eek: I guess I will have to learn to watch dates more closely. sorry.

and with Carnival still sailing out of Saint John to New York, it would be incredible if HAL did it. We wouldn't have to fly :)

Thanks Sail

I happened to remember the thread from when it was active....... that's why I looked at the dates. ;)

I have certainly fallen 'trap' to the exact thing in the past. :D

Have no idea -- DH can barely get from our home to the airport hotel without a stop or 2.

KK .... It's at least 3 1/2 hours from where you live with extremely heavy multi-multi-multi lane traffic as you get into Philadelphia. Sort of like any other large city ... if you know which lane you need, fine ... if not, very easy to miss the exit which can come up quickly with little prior warning.

KK .... It's at least 3 1/2 hours from where you live with extremely heavy multi-multi-multi lane traffic as you get into Philadelphia. Sort of like any other large city ... if you know which lane you need, fine ... if not, very easy to miss the exit which can come up quickly with little prior warning.

She probably doesn't need to know now. This thread is a year and a half old. Have no idea why it was brought back up. :rolleyes:

Archived