My Booze story

SWACK

Had read here quite a bit about RCL being hyper about bringing Booze aboard. I have always brought a 12 pack and a bottle of wine for the room, primarily so I can grab something without wandering upstairs.

So went with my adult kids, and we decided to test the system. i suitcase had the 12 pack, another a Rum Runner with rum, another with a bottle of wine and a large corkscrew and yet another with a a pint of whiskey in it's original plastic bottle.

The verdict??

They all made it...

But Grasshopper.. think you not I have considered this, and altered my appearance.. do you really think I'm that old and fat and wear such silly hats..??:rolleyes:

Actually I had alot of issues with this cruise, and will probably go back to Princess and Carnival for a while, unless a great deal on a great itinerary comes up..

Congrats! But like alot of successful "lawbreakers":) you made a fatal mistake by posting your picture on the site. RCCL may have a face recognition system in place next time and...you know....the naughty room for you.:eek:

I saved his pic to my pc if any RCCL company officials are watching, and he removes it. :)

Free upgrade?

Plus I bet they can just call CC and they will give info upo to him. They may not admit it or like it being said but this place is on cruise co. payroll.

Which I think is fine....but it is the way it is.

But Grasshopper.. think you not I have considered this, and altered my appearance.. do you really think I'm that old and fat and wear such silly hats..??:rolleyes:

Actually I had alot of issues with this cruise, and will probably go back to Princess and Carnival for a while, unless a great deal on a great itinerary comes up..

Yes. We all think that.

Back to Carnival?

Why doesn't this surprise me.

lol

Ahhhh....master...you are wise beyond your years. It must be alot of trouble being Brad Pitts' double. I too are cruising with others after a BAD experience with RCCL. Smooth cruising to you and yours.:)

well I got rum runners through in my carry on... I chose to risk it this way so that I could deal with it immediately, if I got caught instead of not getting my luggage and standing in a line in the naughty room..

Yep RCCL knows there guests through Cruise critic because of meet and mingle registrations.. but I'm not scared...:D

I'm dying to know what cruise it was and what the issues were. (Not to flame you...I firmly believe in stating positive AND negative experiences...I'm simply nosy!!)

Isn't Swack a Hungarian liquor?

Isn't Swack a Hungarian liquor?

Lol.. 50+ years with that name and I never heard that one.. but a simple goggle proved you right..

There is a Hungarian brand called Zwack, and they make a liqueur called Unicum, which is a bitters-infused palinka. They also make a milder, sweeter version called Unicum Next, which is marketed and sold in the US simply as SWACK. It is in a dark spherical bottle with a large 'plus' sign (+) on a red background

Have you ever tried it.. another site describes it as horrid...

SWACK, you should buy some SWACK for future cruises - they shouldn't be able to stop you for carrying something with your own name on it!

Seriously, there are threads on here almost every day about RCCL's Booze Policy. I don't personally think anyone should need it that badly that they have to smuggle it onboard, and I also don't blame RCCL for their policy. Its the underage drinkers and the adults who get so plastered and fall overboard or something that have led RCCL to their policy in fear of lawsuits and bad publicity.

If anyone is going to drink, they should do so responsibly, Excessive drinking can have excessive consequences (although I don't think its as dire as a Firehouse sign I saw last month: "Drink, Drive, Die").

SWACK, you should buy some SWACK for future cruises - they shouldn't be able to stop you for carrying something with your own name on it!

Seriously, there are threads on here almost every day about RCCL's Booze Policy. I don't personally think anyone should need it that badly that they have to smuggle it onboard, and I also don't blame RCCL for their policy. Its the underage drinkers and the adults who get so plastered and fall overboard or something that have led RCCL to their policy in fear of lawsuits and bad publicity.

If anyone is going to drink, they should do so responsibly, Excessive drinking can have excessive consequences (although I don't think its as dire as a Firehouse sign I saw last month: "Drink, Drive, Die").

It's not about anyone "needing" anything as you can buy as much as you want on board. RCI's policy is purely monetarily motivated.

I don't think the young Indian woman who was reportedly beaten and abused by her RCI employee husband was "plastered" when she took the plunge from Deck 11 a few weeks ago on MOS.

Don't get me wrong. I'm all about responsible drinking. However, "Drink, Drive, Die" doesn't apply on a cruise ship unless your actually commandeering the ship. That's why we cruise, isn't it? :)

My new Profile pic?

Love it!!! Now you can take that funny hat off! LOL Just kidding of course. I enjoyed your prior posts.

Try your luck during Spring Break and come back to report. We were caught with ONE bottle of wine during a spring break sailing.

When luggage had not arrived by sailing, we figured it was because of the bottle of wine. We checked at the Purser’s desk and were told there was a questionable item in our luggage and that we should go to the Security area on deck one. We had to unlock the bag, and give the bottle to staff. RCCL staff was very polite, almost apologetic ( as it was clear we were not spring breakers).

We were able to get the bottle back the morning just before we left the ship. We were told that during Spring Breaks RCCL no longer returns the bottle(s) the last night as many will try to consume it all that evening. Rather, you can retrieve it just before departure from the ship.

For the record, it is not a naughty room; it is merely the security room/area. Calling it the “naughty room” seems so childish and silly

M

Have you ever tried it.. another site describes it as horrid...

Horrid doesn't begin to describe it.

The mere sight of Unicum makes me ill. Many years ago I had a friend who bought some. I had no idea what it was, so I took a HUGE swig from the bottle.

It came immediately. violently. right back up. Mind you, I was a college student at the time and could drink tequila shots like water, so not being able to even swallow something was unusual. To this day when I see that bottle in the liquor store I get a bit nauseous.

Run away from the paprika liquor. Far, far away.

. Its the underage drinkers and the adults who get so plastered and fall overboard or something that have led RCCL to their policy in fear of lawsuits and bad publicity.

Yet another poster who is under the dillusion that the booz policy isn't just about money:rolleyes: If it was about law suits and drunk passengers, why wouldn't they limit consumption at their own bars? You don't have to smuggle at all, if getting totally smashed enough to fall overboard is your objective. Just part with a lot of coin at the bars onboard.

I don't think RCCL is that serious about their alcohol policy anyways, I once met a passenger who worked for Budweiser that walked on with an entire carry on full of beer, he said he put it on the Xray table and it went through without a problem at all, an entire case of beer! And he had one in his hand at the solarium to prove it.

For the record, it is not a naughty room; it is merely the security room/area. Calling it the “naughty room” seems so childish and silly

M

Having cruised on a number of other cruise lines which DO let you bring alchohol onboard and they seem to have no more problems with consumption.I come to the conclusion that yes, RCCL does treat the passengers like children. SOooooo what do you do to children.....say they were naughty and have a time out while you are punished. You MUST go to see the principal and be berated and promise never to repeat your horrid behavior.:)

Like previously posted the decision is a financial decision and at least come clean with the pax and not use the guise of safety.

Yet another poster who is under the dillusion that the booz policy isn't just about money:rolleyes: If it was about law suits and drunk passengers, why wouldn't they limit consumption at their own bars? You don't have to smuggle at all, if getting totally smashed enough to fall overboard is your objective. Just part with a lot of coin at the bars onboard.

I don't think RCCL is that serious about their alcohol policy anyways, I once met a passenger who worked for Budweiser that walked on with an entire carry on full of beer, he said he put it on the Xray table and it went through without a problem at all, an entire case of beer! And he had one in his hand at the solarium to prove it.

I agree, I have always said it has nothing to do with safety, along with the issue about taking Irons on board.

Great off you go then, it is people that avoid spending money whilst on a ship, that means cruise prices are raised for others. Good Bye

................Actually I had alot of issues with this cruise, and will probably go back to Princess and Carnival for a while, unless a great deal on a great itinerary comes up..

I agree, I have always said it has nothing to do with safety, along with the issue about taking Irons on board.

Agree completely on the booze issue. Irons though appear to be banned by most all cruise lines so there must be something to it.... such as a drunk passenger leaving the iron on and knocking it on the floor as they stumble to the MDR only to skip the MDR on the last night to avoid tipping. LOL

Great off you go then, it is people that avoid spending money whilst on a ship, that means cruise prices are raised for others. Good Bye
That's pretty harsh. You have no idea what the OP spends. OP stated he had issues other than booze. Relax.

Agree completely on the booze issue. Irons though appear to be banned by most all cruise lines so there must be something to it.... such as a drunk passenger leaving the iron on and knocking it on the floor as they stumble to the MDR only to skip the MDR on the last night to avoid tipping. LOL

That's pretty harsh. You have no idea what the OP spends. OP stated he had issues other than booze. Relax.

I understand what you are saying but it just doesnt make sense when they allow other heated items, a lot higher wattage and could be far more dangerous.

I understand what you are saying but it just doesnt make sense when they allow other heated items, a lot higher wattage and could be far more dangerous.

I know, I know, like flat irons, etc. Doesn't make sense, but I tried to interject some humor. Seriously though, it appears most cruise lines do ban irons. Go figure?

Archived