LAFFNVEGAS'S First LIVE From a Princess Ship The Crown

LAFFNVEGAS

Wait a month and there will be a lot more younger people on the ship.

I have sailed Princess a lot in December and sailed on the Oosterdam in December and I thought the demographics were about the same.

Come end of Feb, March and April and the age of the people on the ship will drop drastically.

Great job' date=' Lisa. I love reading about your day to day adventures. I don't want to seem impertinent but approx. what age category are you and Tom in? 30's 40's 50's only because it is easier to picture the activities. Again, sorry if you feel this question is out of place and only answer if you wish to.

Thanks,

Lew[/quote']

Lew, Tom and I are both 55 :)

Thursday January 21, 2010

Good Evening from the Crown Princess.

This was one very busy FULL day. I know feel I have seen the Crown Princess from top to bottom.

We did the Ultimate Ship Tour. At $150.00 per person it does seem on the surface a bit expensive but it was fun and you do get a lot of nice things such as a Chef's Jacket and a very nice Princess Bathrobe. I actually consider it to be a bit nicer than Holland America's robes, then we got stationary that said Ultimate Ship Tour with the date on it and I believe we will get pictures tomorrow. The tour lasted almost 5 hours but the very end where they ended it at Adagio's for appetizers and champagne we headed off to go get ready for Formal Night and going to the Captain's Circle Party. Even though this was our first Princess cruise I really appreciated being able to go to the party and comparing it to Holland America. It reminded me so much of the old days of Holland America with having the Mariner Parties in the show lounge. This was so nice getting to meet the Captain and shake hands. Of course we had met him earlier up on the Bridge so we were able to chat again with him. I sure like Captain Andy, he is quite the interesting and funny Captain. It was also nice they did this on a Formal Night. I think the timing of this is nice and gives the the brief meet and mingle time before dinner without taking up several hours of your last sea day like they do on HAL with the Mariner Lunch. More about the Ultimate Ship Tour, anyone wanting to take it be sure to wear very comfortable shoes, you will do a lot of walking. I wore comfortable shoes but my legs are hurting tonight. I especially enjoyed see the back stage of the Theater. I had seen some of these same areas including the Bridge on a mini tour I had on the Oosterdam. On the Crown these areas are much larger including the Bridge.

Tonight was the last Formal Night and of course had Lobster and King Prawns. I will say that I have complained about the Main Entrees but not tonight. The quality of the Prawns and Lobster were the best they have been all week. And the Chocolate Pudding Pie for dessert was wonderful. Altogther this was probably one of the best nights for eating we had all week with the exception of Sabatini's at least for me.

I remember reading that someone asked about those sand fleas at Roatan. I think I maybe saw two bites on me and never really felt anything but the redness went away the next day. So I really did not feel they were a probelm in Roatan, we shall see what happens tomorrow at Princess Cays. Now one thing that was a problem at Roatan that I forgot to mention were some pesky bees. We did not get stung but we had to constantly shoo them away. It was strange we did not see any for about the first hour we were there at the beach then they appeared and would not leave us alone. Up near the bar areas there were a lot of them.

Well I think I will get this posted, I really want to do some reading tonite, I need to finish one of these books that was lent to me by a co worker.

We rented a Cabana or as Princess calls then Bungalow so I will report in tomorrow about that and the process.

Signing off from the Beautiful Crown Princess on her way to Princess Cays.

Lisa

I'm just loving your daily posts and your style of writing. I've been following you daily and I'm having a great time reading your review. Can't wait to hear about Princess Cays tomorrow, and then your week will be over just like that. This week seemed to fly by, I'm glad the weather cooperated for you. Several CC have posted from the Crown which is great, its getting us excited for our cruise in a few weeks. Again thank you

Mimi

Interesting to hear about the age demographic on the Crown now. Maybe because it is January. My friend and I (in our 50's) were on in November and there was a really good mix of ages with minimal walker, etc.

I hope you have a great day In Princess Cays. I wish I were there.

Friday January 22, 2010

Good Afternoon from Sea Day Aboard the Crown Princess.

Yes, A Sea Day. We had decided to have breakfast in the Da Vinci Dining Room. While it did seem a bit windy this morning I had thought it still looked like we would be fine but about the time we were finishing breakfast the announcement came that Captain Andy Proctor thought it best not to attempt to go ashore today at Princess Cays, they were expecting it to get even worse as the day progresses which could make it hard to even get us off the island. I was a bit dissappointed because one we had reserved a bungalow and two it was our first time to Princess Cays and I wanted badly to compare it to Half Moon Cay of Holland America. But we are certainly not ones to be totally upset and throw a fit lol. I totally understand and respect the Catpain's decision besides I have been to Half Moon Cay when it was windy and cool and it does not amke for a fun day in Paradise.

One thing I find a bit different from Princess to HAL is that they want you to have you luggage outside your cabin prior to going to dinner. That to me totally throws off my last day. We have been known to be packing at 11:00 PM and getting it out in the hallway late.:D

Tonight we are going to dinner of course with Frank and Michelle but also Tom and Sherrie who we met in Grand Caymans who were also part of our Cruise Critic Roll Call. I had found out that we can go dine in an alternative dining room one night so since they have anytime dining and to be able to dine with them we will meet at the Michelangelo at 6:00 PM then we want to go to the Farewell Variety Show this evening.

I want to do some reading yet this afternoon and I also need to go back down to the shops and return a t-shirt I purchased that I just do not care for once I tried it on.

I have some over all thought about the cruise I will share with you but probably not till I get home.

Signing off from the Crown Princess while she slowly makes her way back to Port Everglades.

I was a bit dissappointed because one we had reserved a bungalow and two it was our first time to Princess Cays and I wanted badly to compare it to Half Moon Cay of Holland America. .

I have been to both and HAL's Island is for sure nicer. Princess Cays is a lot more rocky. There is nothing wrong with it. I just love to go for a nice long walk on the beach and it's easy to do that on HMC.

You can put your luggage out as late at 9pm. They just don't like to tell you that. We've done that many times. Also having the luggage out earlier keeps the noise down in the hallways when people are trying to sleep. Moving the luggage around while people are at dinner makes the hallway congestion easier too.

Seems to be such a common thing missing Princess Cays in January, that is too bad. If it makes you feel better, HAL's private island is supposed to be the best anyway. Enjoy the rest of your cruise, I really enjoyed your thoughts/comparisons with HAL.:)

Friday January 22, 2010

. I had found out that we can go dine in an alternative dining room one night so since they have anytime dining and to be able to dine with them we will meet at the Michelangelo at 6:00 PM then we want to go to the Farewell Variety Show this evening./QUOTE]

Curious about you being able to eat in the alternate dining room. How did that come about?

Anxiously awaiting your final review - trying to decide on Crown or Eurodam for Spring break - with DD and DGS (7) celebrating his 7th my 7th decade. Have had 6 cruises on HAL with DH and loved each of them. Tough choice with Westerdam thrown in the mix! (HMC, Aruba & Curacao)

I have been to both and HAL's Island is for sure nicer. Princess Cays is a lot more rocky. There is nothing wrong with it. I just love to go for a nice long walk on the beach and it's easy to do that on HMC.

I agree. I prefer Half Moon Cay to Princess Cay also. In October on a Carnival cruise, we had to miss HMC due to high winds and rough waters. It was a big disappointment because it was the one port we had been looking forward to.

Friday January 22, 2010

. I had found out that we can go dine in an alternative dining room one night so since they have anytime dining and to be able to dine with them we will meet at the Michelangelo at 6:00 PM then we want to go to the Farewell Variety Show this evening./QUOTE]

Curious about you being able to eat in the alternate dining room. How did that come about?

I am curious too. Are those of us in Anytime Dining allowed to go to the traditional dining room then?

One thing I find a bit different from Princess to HAL is that they want you to have you luggage outside your cabin prior to going to dinner. That to me totally throws off my last day. We have been known to be packing at 11:00 PM and getting it out in the hallway late.:D

My luggage has always gone out sometime between 10 and 11 pm. Never had a problem. They still find a way to get both me and my luggage off the ship the following day :)

I had Traditional dining on the Crown and there was a table next to me that was always empty. I brought friends down (anytime diners) periodically and moved the two tables together.

I am curious too. Are those of us in Anytime Dining allowed to go to the traditional dining room then?

I'm thinking not:D. I'm surprised that you can go back and forth. I've heard conflicting statements on this board. Really to be fair a person should stick with what they were assigned IMO.

My luggage has always gone out sometime between 10 and 11 pm. Never had a problem. They still find a way to get both me and my luggage off the ship the following day :)

I've had that experience too. I need some of my "liquids" until after I've retuned to my cabin after dinner. It's pretty hard to get totally packed before dinner. I think HAL's policy is that you have to have your luggage out by midnight or something. I can't say that I've ever heard any noise from them collecting luggage and I usually try to get to bed somewhat early.

Lisa Thanks so much for your updates. i can't believe how fast this week went. i can only imagine how fast it went for you. Our family will be onboard in late March and hope the weather cooperates. Sorry to here you couldn't go to Princess Cay. thats the best part. We thoroughly enjoyed the last time on Princess. We loved it so much we rented a bungalow. I see you rented a bungalow also. Did you reserve through the cruise line? If so since you weren't able to take advantage of it do you receive a refund? Have a safe trip back home and thanks again for your thorough updates. :)

Lisa thank you so much for taking all of us with you. My gang of 26 will be on Crown Princess. I've been hanging on your every word. While I'm very much a Celebrity/Princess guy, I loved your viewpoints and comparisons.

John

Office of Vicarious Vacations

The Zamgwar Institute

I will write a final report up tomorrow but for now I just want to thank all of you for following along on Tom's and my first Princess cruise. I have enjoyed writing this for you and will try to go back in the next few days to answer you questions and give you a final ending review.

In less than 12 hours we will be off the ship and waiting for our flight back home to Las Vegas where I heard we had more rain while we were gone than we did the whole year of 2009.

One final time......

Signing off from the Crown Princess while she is heading back to Port Everglades :(

Friday January 22, 2010

I was a bit dissappointed because one we had reserved a bungalow and two it was our first time to Princess Cays and I wanted badly to compare it to Half Moon Cay of Holland America. But we are certainly not ones to be totally upset and throw a fit lol. I totally understand and respect the Catpain's decision besides I have been to Half Moon Cay when it was windy and cool and it does not amke for a fun day in Paradise.

Signing off from the Crown Princess while she slowly makes her way back to Port Everglades.

Is the bungalow non refundable because the stop was cancelled?

I really enjoyed your daily postings! We are off on the Crown in 1 week.

Archived