what ports would you not bother with a tour?

bluenoser2

When I get home and have a minute, I'm going to write some notes for people who have Naples as a one day stop. There are so many choices that are closer, easier, and interesting in their own way, other than Pompei, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast and Capri, which is what we hear the most about. Clearly, from reading these boards, there are lots of people who have done several Med cruises who might be interested in something different.

I would love to hear your ideas for Naples. We will be there in early June as a last port on our cruise. We are planning to just hang out on our own and eat our way through Naples so if you have any suggestions on good places for gelato, pastries and of course pizza, we would love to hear them !

I would love to hear your ideas for Naples. We will be there in early June as a last port on our cruise. We are planning to just hang out on our own and eat our way through Naples so if you have any suggestions on good places for gelato, pastries and of course pizza, we would love to hear them !

Da Michele is arguably the best pizzeria in Naples. However, when we went last July at about two on a weekday afternoon, there was a long queue outside, probably entailing a 30-45 minute wait. So we followed a Rick Steves' recommendation and went to the Trianon across the road. Definitely would recommend. It is walkable from the cruise terminal, I felt quite safe walking with husband and teenage son although I would not have felt comfortable driving as the traffic was another story ... (triple parking for example!)

Thanks for that. I was feeling a bit dispirited today as I found out I have to cancel our planned June Med cruise because of a major project that's been moved up. And due to the economy, my usual chances for foreign travel in my job haven't materialized this year.

However, when one door closes....... ;) I've just booked another Med cruise in the fall instead, when I'll be free of this blasted project. And I'm pretty excited about the ports, including some new ones in southern Turkey.

Sorry to hear your news. Where is your new cruise going? The more Turkey, the better. I would love to do a Turkey-only trip, but my travel companion has other places higher on the priority list!

UMMM ... when I go on a cruise, I am a tourist ... read TOURist! Why would I want to NOT do a tour to the TOURIST sites with an expert local who knows their way around instead of fumbling around by myself? Maybe Rick Steves can do it ... I can't!

My advice is to take the tours.

Have a GREAT cruise!

We like to do kind of the in between: I do not like the ship's tours as I find them overpriced and limiting. We do some on our own - depending upon where it is and what there is to see/do. In many ports it is nice, however, to have a guide to give you details, history, etc. We book our own "tours" before we go. We get the guide all to ourselves, so we can go at our own pace, rather than be herded around town on a bus, and see what we want, for how long we want, and we can change our minds and tell the driver to do something different, and it costs a lot less than the ship's tours.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello!

Two years ago we travelled in NOS/Royal Caribbean to Cannes, Livorno(florence), Civitavechia(rome)...5 night cruise.

To Florence we went by bus+train

To cannes we were tendered so we only had to "catch" the boat to be ion the middle of the city

I was in Rome some years ago, so we stayed aboard this day.

We (almost) never do cruise tours; we do our homework and then enjoy ourselves.:cool:

This year I'm organizing my parents trip:they don't speak other language than portuguese, will be by their own and my father have some muscle problems so he can't travel by bus,train..etc...like we (me and my husband) are used to do. So they will have to do the ship tours because it's easier for them to move around than ask people where to go, what to do.:rolleyes:

Conclusion: doing or not doing the ship tours it's not the diference between being a traveler or being a tourist.;)

• 1 month later...

Sorry Bluenoser, didn't see your post until just now! Used to be in HRM - near Peggy's Cove, but just moved inland to Springhill last summer. quite a change. Looking forward to our cruise in June! Where are you?

As you indicate, or at least implied, there are 'ship tours' and 'independent tours' (those involving a local tour guide you have hired). I hope that Merced Mike also meant that, because the one thing that this forum has done for us, it to direct us to good options from other travelers. The tours offered by the ship will just about always be more expensive and involve loads of people who are herded onto buses like cattle.

For our first few cruises we did the ship's tours. Then we met and joined a foursome aboard who had hired a local tour guide in Livorno and were looking for two more to share the cost. The day turned out to be magnificent. For some details go to http://www.*****.com/Livorno.htm

However, I also agree that certain ports should or could be done on your own. Portofino, Santorini and Mykonos definitely fall into that category.

Would you please share the name of this local tour company in Livorno.

Your photos and comments are very nice!

Thanks

We're on the Crown Princess European Explorer in June - just booked! My husband likes to go with Princess tours, but I also know that the last time we went on the Mediterranean cruise, there were some places we could have easily done on our own instead of doing a tour! Which of these ports are better done on our own? Livorno, Genoa, Cannes, Barcelona, Gibraltar, Lisbon? Thanks!

Lisbon is very, very easy to do on your own. It's my second favorite place in the world - Sintra a much smaller town just outside Lisbon is my first.

In the "Other Med Ports" forum I wrote up some of my favorite things to do. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1154337&highlight=lisbon

Lisbon is a fairly compact city with excellent public transit.

How you start the day depends on where you're docking - there are two places, one almost right in the city, the other out by Belem. Belem is about 5km outside Lisbon proper, but there are also some fantastic things to see there.

Of all the ports the OP will be stopping at, I've only been to Lisbon.

This is definitely a city one can do on their own. We took a taxi up to the Castelo, then explored the Alfama district as we strolled down. Be sure to take the elevator up for an overview of the city (if you are OK with heights) and then stroll down from there.

If you want to eat in Lisbon, I highly recommend Bon Jardin. They are known for their roasted chicken and it is excellent. Just be sure to eat inside. It is more expensive to eat outside :D

Another eating in Portugal tip: when you sit down in a restaurant, they will often just bring a plate of bread, cheese and olives, occasionally some fish croquetas and atun (tuna) spread. It is not free. It's called the couvert and it runs between 1-5 euro per person.

You can ask them to remove it and they won't charge you.

I'm a HUGE fan of both the croquetas and the atun, so I rarely wave the couvert away, but unlike in the US, the bread and such isn't usually free.

Cynthia, sounds like a great cruise this fall. If you are going to Bodrum, Fethiye or Antalya and would like to hear of my experiences email me at mullaleyi at yahoo dot com

By the way BNs 1 and 2, I am another one!

Euro cruiser

Since you are currently in Naples: we will have a day in port in Naples this summer and are planning to explore Naples on our own this trip. It seem like everyone else wants to head out for the Amalfi coast or Capri, but it looks to me as if Naples has its own sites to visit. And recommendations for our day there? Thinking of taking a cab up to the museum and walking our way back down. Is this a good plan and good use of our time?

Thanks,

Pam

Sorry Bluenoser, didn't see your post until just now! Used to be in HRM - near Peggy's Cove, but just moved inland to Springhill last summer. quite a change. Looking forward to our cruise in June! Where are you?

Dartmouth. we are on the QV Oct 19 this year. Have a great trip. I'm watching this thread for info on some of the ports we will be visiting. Been to Naples, this time we are doing Herculanum. Better kept up. :>

It seem like everyone else wants to head out for the Amalfi coast or Capri, but it looks to me as if Naples has its own sites to visit. And recommendations for our day there?
Never been, but I'm looking forward to it. Of all the cities on my upcoming cruise, I'm most excited about Napes. Lots to see and the ships lets you off right in town.

Here's a link to a report that gave me some great ideas. I wouldn't follow this plan exactly, but it gives lots of ideas.

Another option we're thinking of is the Hop-on Hop off bus, which picks up right by the pier.

Never been, but I'm looking forward to it. Of all the cities on my upcoming cruise, I'm most excited about Napes. Lots to see and the ships lets you off right in town.

Here's a link to a report that gave me some great ideas. I wouldn't follow this plan exactly, but it gives lots of ideas.

Another option we're thinking of is the Hop-on Hop off bus, which picks up right by the pier.

Your post got me thinking (a rare occurance). We wonder what percentage of cruise passengers who have a port day in Naples actually stay in Naples. My guess would be less then 5% but it might make a nice poll. We do know that we have been to this port more then a dozen times and have never stayed in town (other then to walk to the train station). We have also driven in this part of Italy for many weeks and always bypass Naples (the Autostrade allow a driver to easily skip the city) on our way to or from the Amalfi Coast or other parts of southern Italy.

Hank

Thanks for the link zekekelso! I'm really looking forward to the day in Naples and plan on having some pizza where it all started:-)

Maybe we'll start a trend for Naples:-) Hank - based on my experience on cruises, I'd say your 5% is about right.

Pam

• 5 months later...

This is SUCH an interesting thread! I am enjoying reading all the thoughts about whether to hire a guide, use the ship's excursion or go it alone.We have tried all three over the years.

The ship's excursions:

you are right that you can be herded along at a snail's pace with a large group. We were in an outdoor village in Scandinavia, and the guide stopped to talk...and talk...and talk. We did not move. Finally, my husband and I took off from the group (to her dismay) and had a great time meandering the site. We missed much of the village because of the poor guide (and the extended time she allotted to a snack and drink.)

We were in Italy this summer and tried the ship's tour for a small town. It was drizzling-not a downpour- just a drizzle, and the group did not want to get off the bus! A handful of us did, and at the top of the hill the sun came out, and it was lovely!

Private guides:

They can also be poor- you have to do your research and try to get someone recommended on the boards or Trip Advisor. A company is only as good as the guide you personally get. We have had both fabulous people, and some positively horrible personalities. Also, if you are just 2 people, as we are, the cost can be very close to the ship cost. You will see more, and the time is spent at your own pace. You need to do your port research.

On your own:

Time, temperature, endurance and distance are all factors. We were in Monaco and the distance to walk around was much farther than I had thought. We got lost,and spent time going in circles. Last summer the heat was unbearable, (over 110) and an air-conditioned car would have been lovely. Some cities lend themselves to just discovering by foot and local bus. In Barcelona has the hop-on=hop-off bus. This is very convenient. Also, just walking down Las Ramblas is a very nice day.

You should read reviews of port excursions on the ship boards as well as the port boards.

Bottom line: I think it's all good---that's why we cruise.

Archived