Who sailed the Carnival Mardi Gras?

Abram797

I got credit for my family's 1987 sailing. My mom still had a group dinner photo in its Mardi Gras folder. I sent in a copy of pic and folder and we came up with the date based on what I could recall. I knew it was right before school started so that helped.

• 1 month later...

My husband and I cruised on the Mardi Gras in 1989 for our honeymoon. We cruised on it again in 1991. We were trying to convince CCL that we had been on enough cruises to be platinum status, but they didn't have our honeymoom cruise on record. They asked if we had a pic to prove it. I actually found a newspaper clipping of us holding the Mardi Gras rescue ring thingy that the ship photographer had taken of us and sent into our local newspaper!! Luckily, I had cut the pic out of the paper and the date was still in the corner. CCL accepted that with no problem and we were platinum a few years ago!!! Love being platinum!!

I sailed the Mardi Gras in 1987 with 8 friends, celebrating our senior spring break. I was 17 and no on thought twice about serving me alcohol. 4 to an inside cabin, Riviera deck. Things I remember...

Waiters trying to sing "America the Beautiful" together in the dining room. Since none of them were American, naturally none knew the words. It became obvious that they all had the words written in their hats, because at the beginning of the song they all took of their hats and began singing while looking in them. Hilarious!

Free rum punch at the singles party. Again, at 17 I thought this was awesome.

Watching "Ruthless People" in the Cinema.

Even when I hadn't been drinking, the boat rocking made me stagger so much it looked like I had been. (So glad for stabilizers now!)

Snorkeling in Freeport...I think the excursion was like $20.

My whole cruise, air included, was around $600.

And yes, I remember the bathroom!

My family sailed on one of her last voyages as the Empress of Canada, from Montreal to Liverpool, in August of 1970. All I remember is how seasick I was and my sister and I sneaking in to see "Paint Your Wagon" and "Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid" in the theater (over and over and over).

I always clap for her at the past guests gathering.:D

• 2 months later...

My very first cruise was on the Mardi Gras in 1983 from Boston to Bermuda. Big party cruise and lots of singles. I was 24 yo and went with a group of 10 girls. Beautiful ship but no stabilizers, so it was bumpy when we crossed the Gulf Stream. Most of the passengers were sick and the dining room was practically empty for at one dinner . Darlene Love was the singer on that cruise. Came home and booked my next cruise on the Tropical with my (now) husband. That was 31 cruises ago.:)

Yes my husband and I celebrated are 25 wedding anniversary Sept 2 1987 on this ship. I also remember how small the cabin was my head would hit the light switch on and off when we were in bed. I think the bathroom had more space then the room to move around. We had a wonderfull time and were able to cruise many more times before he died.

Oh for the good old days!! I actually worked in the Gift Shop on the Mardi Gras, Carnivale & Festivale back in the early 80's. You think you guys had small cabins???? Should have seen ours. But what a BLAST!!

Went on Mardi Gras for a travel training seminar back in the 90's. they never accounted for anything other than training. No loyalty credit for that one. I really wasn't impressed by her interior but the cruise was fun

Edited by msstarr22
typo

Yes my husband and I celebrated are 25 wedding anniversary Sept 2 1987 on this ship. I also remember how small the cabin was my head would hit the light switch on and off when we were in bed. I think the bathroom had more space then the room to move around. We had a wonderfull time and were able to cruise many more times before he died.

Were celebrating our 25th anniversary next year and I sure hope I can make my wife turn the light switch on and off. ;) Sounds like you have great memories. Hope ours are too.

I've enclosed several pictures taken during our 1984 cruise on the Mardi Gras. We did a 7 day itinerary to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios.

Obviously, things then considered "normal" behavior are no longer tolerated...and are considered either offensive or politically incorrect...

Skeet Shooting off the stern

SkeetShooting.jpg

The cabin stewards, when turning down the beds, used to go through my wife's lingerie and select what she should wear that night and lay it out for her.

Nightgown.jpg

Games around the small swimming pool

MGSwimmingPool.jpg

Edited by N7786W Flyer

Here's a few more...

The men's nightgown contest...

MensNightgownContest.jpg

Here's our cabin...I'd forgotten how spartan the staterooms were...or how messy!

InsideCabin.jpg

The Dining Room and parade of the waiters..

DiningRoom.jpg

The Sun Deck...

DeckArea.jpg

The Beerdrinking Contest...

BeerContest.jpg

Last Few...

Here's the Mardi Gras at Cozumel...took this with my ol, trusty Minolta 35mm :)

MardiGras3-1.jpg

...and lastly a picture of my wife and I "back in the day". At the time, we had been married for 5 years. Coincidentally, today is the 37th anniversary of our first date...June 24, 1976.

She's beautiful, isn't she?

HollyGarnett.jpg

Sailed on her June 22, 1980 out of Miami for my first honeymoon when I was "Young, Dumb and full of #%&". Got cruise credit from the TA receipt. Forgot what a 7 day cruise cost back then ($1600 for a porthole cabin) WOW cruising in style. Now we get a suite for the same price..... Loved the Baked Alaska. Loved the Band on deck playing most of the day. Skeet shooting off the back of the ship was a blast. Our favorite spot was on one of the side decks in a lounge chair, not even asking for another Mich Lite and it being presented by our waiter. Won $800 on the last night of the cruise playing 2 shots on 1 of 2 $5.00 slot machines before winning the Blackout Bingo for another $600. Paid for all of our furniture on Layaway. Wow, so may memories....

The wife and I went on Carnival's only other ship at the time,actually names Carnival. That was in 79. The next time we went on a Carnival cruise, Valor, in 09 Carnival wouldn't accept us as past guest , no records kept at the time. I found an invoice, a few pictures, and a old Capers which I sent to Carnival. Results we were declaired past guests Send them whatever you can find, never know.

I sailed the Carnivale as well. I have a postcard from the ship, the deck plans and stuff I scrapbooked from the cruise. Wonder if they'd accept that? ;) I sailed her in 1991 and didn't sail with Carnival again until this year on the Magic. My husband and I had a good time comparing my first Carnival cruise with my second. ;)