Any airport tips for me?????

new cruiser 2010

I am leaving for the airport next week, to hop a plane and get to my cruise ship!

I am an inexperienced traveler and would love any tips on making the airport portion of the trip go smoothly. What is it about printing a boarding pass at home???? Or is it easier to print it at the kiosk???

If I print it before getting to the counter, don't I still have to wait in line to check my bags....then why not let them print it at counter for me???

Also, I am flying on Delta. I will be taking a carry-on, and holding an additional backpack. The size of the additional piece is a grey area...

Any info on how large that piece of luggage can be? I will not be checking any baggage.

I appreciate any feedback! Thanks alot!

The second carry on needs to be small enough to fit underneath the seat in front of you.

If you are not checking in luggage, it makes sense to print out boarding pass at home as that will save a little time in case there are lines at the kiosks at the airport; if you decide to check luggage it doesn't really matter.

If you are not checking luggage, keep in mind you will not be permitted to bring any liquids or gels larger than 3 ounces with you, so that will take a bit of planning in terms of your toiletries.

If you have a lengthy flight, bring along a magazine or book as there is not much entertainment. I pack snacks as well (non-liquid) such as granola bars since there is little to no food on flights these days. You can also pick up some food at the airport for the flight, but it will cost a bit more there.

Have a nice flight and cruise. :)

I find it easier to print the boarding pass at home---no waiting in line.

You need to find out if you can take two carry ons. On some flights they only allow one carry on, so your backpack and your other carry on would be considered as two carry ons. Your carry ons cannot be larger then 45" when you add the height, length and widty. Delta, on their website says that you're allowed one carry on and one personal item---a personal item is a purse, brief case, camera case or diaper bag.

Also, you're limited to only one quart size baggie with liquids and none of those liquids can be more than 3oz. So if you have full size bottles of anything, they will be taken from you.

Make sure you get to the airport early. Since the underwear bomber, security checks are taking longer. Expect them to really check out your bags and it's contents.

I am leaving for the airport next week, to hop a plane and get to my cruise ship!

I am an inexperienced traveler and would love any tips on making the airport portion of the trip go smoothly. What is it about printing a boarding pass at home???? Or is it easier to print it at the kiosk???

If I print it before getting to the counter, don't I still have to wait in line to check my bags....then why not let them print it at counter for me???

Also, I am flying on Delta. I will be taking a carry-on, and holding an additional backpack. The size of the additional piece is a grey area...

Any info on how large that piece of luggage can be? I will not be checking any baggage.

confused... you either are checking bags or not ?

I am an inexperienced traveler and would love any tips on making the airport portion of the trip go smoothly.

Thank you for asking. Seriously! Some of us (I'm looking in the mirror here) who fly frequently can get pretty frustrated with "amateurs" at the airport.

The lines at security are often long and slow, but they don't need to be. I can't tell you how many times I watch people and wonder if they knew/remembered that they were going to an airport when they got dressed that morning.

You will be required to remove your shoes at security. Think about that when you decide which pair to wear. If you can wear shoes that easily slip on/off rather than a pair with laces, buckles, zippers, etc., it will be faster and easier.

You will also be asked to take off any outerwear and loose sweaters, sport coats, etc. Think about that when deciding what to wear on departure day. Similarly, if you have pants that will stay up without a belt, wear them that day or you'll need to take off the belt as well.

When you pack, put your baggie with the 3 oz. or less liquids in an easy to reach outside pocket of your luggage so you can find it fast; remove it at security and put it in the bin for x-ray (although not all airports require this - at Newark I haven't had to take out liquids for the past couple of years).

While you're standing in line, use that time to take loose change and any other metallic things out of your pockets.

It's a lot to keep straight and I understand that it is confusing when it all hits at once when you get to the head of the security line, especially if the folks behind you are tapping their feet, giving you the evil eye for slowing them down, sighing loudly, etc. (I know I think these things in my head sometimes, I really hope I don't actually do them.)

A "carry-on" and an "additional backpack" are TWO pieces of luggage. Unless either the carry-on or the backpack are carrying medical equipment and supplies that you need, you can't take two on the plane, so one of them will have to be checked.

Your comments are confusing because you also say "don't I still have to wait in line to check my bags"..yes you do. If you are indeed asking them to stow that backpack in the belly of the plane, it will have to be checked. If you're passing through the security checkpoint with both pieces of luggage (claiming one as a medical necessity), they'll both have to be checked.

One doesn't "hop on a plane" these days. One gets to the airport at least two hours early and starts the check-in process. If all goes smoothly, you'll be at your gate about 20-30 minutes before the plane starts to board. If it doesn't, you'll be scrambling. Good luck!

Check the TSA website especially the section about the liquids. They want any liquids, gels, etc in a quart size bag seperate from everything else. Keep this handy as it has to go in the bin as you go through Security. I can't stress this enough, the last thing you want to do is be held up because you accidently left some toothpaste in your carry on seperate from the bag with the liquids...

Thanks alot for the valuable info! eurocruiser TY for your smooth style and helpful hints.

The other 2 posters that asked about the confusing text about check/no check baggage...that was indeed poorly written on my part.

I was actually asking a general question for future reference about checking in bags. On my next trip, next week, I won't be checking in bags.

Is there a LIMIT on how many 3oz. containers you can put in the baggie?

I think I will need about 6, but can buy the lotion, sunscreen, etc...at the destination port if needed.

Also, just for clarifiction....what kind of toiletries are supplied by NCL in bathroom? Shampoo, conditioner, etc...?

Thanks again...I hope to be a well prepared traveler, and it will be due to THIS SITE and you helpful folks. :)

Is there a LIMIT on how many 3oz. containers you can put in the baggie? I think I will need about 6, but can buy the lotion, sunscreen, etc...at the destination port if needed.

Also, just for clarifiction....what kind of toiletries are supplied by NCL in bathroom? Shampoo, conditioner, etc...?

You can take as many as you can cram into that one quart baggie (but it must zip closed).

On the NCL Gem last summer they had body wash and a combo shampoo/conditioner in the dispenser in the shower.

Thanks alot for the valuable info! eurocruiser TY for your smooth style and helpful hints.

The other 2 posters that asked about the confusing text about check/no check baggage...that was indeed poorly written on my part.

I was actually asking a general question for future reference about checking in bags. On my next trip, next week, I won't be checking in bags.

Is there a LIMIT on how many 3oz. containers you can put in the baggie?

I think I will need about 6, but can buy the lotion, sunscreen, etc...at the destination port if needed.

Thanks again...I hope to be a well prepared traveler, and it will be due to THIS SITE and you helpful folks. :)

You can take as many 3 oz containers as you can squeeze into one quart-sized zip lock bag. That's usually 3 or 4. This includes toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant..anything that might be considered "liquid", "gel", "sticky", "gummy", "paste".. If you need more, you'd best do as you said and buy it in port, because while some of this is available on the ship, it's very expensive.

NCL provides shampoo (with conditioner) and liquid soap --in wall dispensers -- in the bathroom. (I think some suite passengers get small containers and/or bar soap, but generally it's the wall dispensers).

After leafing through the airline's in-flight magazine three times during a recent flight over the California desert, I pulled out my binoculars to peer at the landscape below. My seatmates ended up begging to borrow them. Now I always make it a point to reserve a window seat and pack my binoculars

If you bring liquids and gels in your one quart-sized bag, the actual containers must be 3oz or less. Meaning that if you have a 6oz tube of toothpaste that is 1/2 used, it will be confiscated at the security checkpoint.

After leafing through the airline's in-flight magazine three times during a recent flight over the California desert, I pulled out my binoculars to peer at the landscape below. My seatmates ended up begging to borrow them. Now I always make it a point to reserve a window seat and pack my binoculars

Thanks for this tip! I always have my binoculars with me, but never once have I thought about getting them out and looking at the landscape below (and no, there is no sarcasm here - I really thank you for this tip!).

Be ready to go through the scanning process. Take your shoes off, take your jacket off, take your laptop out (if you are taking one), take your zip lock bag out, BEFORE you get to the scanner. Keep your boarding pass and have it in your hand. Don't put it in the bucket with your shoes, etc. After you go through the scanner, gather your belongings and go away from the scanning area to put your shoes back on, etc. If everyone would do this, getting through security would be so much faster :)

Interesting sites; Flyertalk.com. Also Seatguru, which shows both good and bad seats for each specific plane. You look at your tix to see what plane you are on, go to your lines site to find availability, double check on set guru, then book best seat on your lines website.

You can take as many 3 oz containers as you can squeeze into one quart-sized zip lock bag. That's usually 3 or 4. This includes toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant..anything that might be considered "liquid", "gel", "sticky", "gummy", "paste".. If you need more, you'd best do as you said and buy it in port, because while some of this is available on the ship, it's very expensive.

NCL provides shampoo (with conditioner) and liquid soap --in wall dispensers -- in the bathroom. (I think some suite passengers get small containers and/or bar soap, but generally it's the wall dispensers).

Solid deododorants are exempt from the 3 oz rule, but they MUST be solids, not gel.

Jewelery

Don't know how may times I've seen the security line come to a dead stop because someone wanted to wear every piece of jewelery they own. 5 necklaces, 10 rings, toe rings, body piercings, 5 bracelets on each wrist :eek:

Tone it down on travel day please

Go see "Up in the Air" and pay attention to two scenes - the one where George Clooney goes through the security line, and the one where he tells the rookie traveler how to pick a line.

To answer the question about why you would check in at home if you have to check bags - some airlines give you a discount for doing it at home - you just take your luggage to the counter and be prepared to show your boarding pass and photo ID.

A "carry-on" and an "additional backpack" are TWO pieces of luggage. Unless either the carry-on or the backpack are carrying medical equipment and supplies that you need, you can't take two on the plane, so one of them will have to be checked.

Your comments are confusing because you also say "don't I still have to wait in line to check my bags"..yes you do. If you are indeed asking them to stow that backpack in the belly of the plane, it will have to be checked. If you're passing through the security checkpoint with both pieces of luggage (claiming one as a medical necessity), they'll both have to be checked.

One doesn't "hop on a plane" these days. One gets to the airport at least two hours early and starts the check-in process. If all goes smoothly, you'll be at your gate about 20-30 minutes before the plane starts to board. If it doesn't, you'll be scrambling. Good luck!

I disagree about the backpack being a second piece of luggage. Maybe if it's a large camping type, but a daypack fits within the personal item category. I had a 22-inch carryon and my backpack on all four flights for my last cruise. The return flights occurred after the underwear bomber incident and I had no problems whatsoever. I had my laptop, purse, SLR and small cameras, food, and Nintendo in the backpack, among other items and it fit under the seat just fine. Heck, on the return flights I even was carrying a decorative wall ornament that measured about 2 feet in diameter and no one even blinked. This was on American.

I don't know if this will help, but I am flying Northwest, and it kind of looks like they are merged w/ Delta? Anyway, on the website, this is what I found about carry on luggage:

You can bring 1 carry on bag, and one personal item.

Personal Items = Purse, briefcase, laptop, small backpack

Personal items cannot exceed 15x11x6 in dimensions.

Carry on luggage cannot exceed 45 linear inches (9x14x22).

Hope that helps!

Don't have any ice onboard the plane. Since most planes fly an international route there is no guarantee that the water that the ice was made from is as pure as North American cities. There was a study that found alot of bateria in the ice supplies onboard a number of planes tested. You don't want to get sick on your trip. "No ice please" is what I ask on the flight. Have a great time.:)

get to the airport plenty early 2 hrs before your flight time...never know how long you will wait in the ticket line or then go thru security...every airport has different ways of doing things...some want the shoes in the bins, some not; some want your smaller carry ons in bins some not; some let you walk thru with your ticket some not;.... they will be calling out just what they WANT done and how THEY WANT IT DONE--just go with the flow and KNOW that there could be a "hold-up" just calm down and BREATHE...and HOPEFULLY it doesnt happen but YOUR BAG could need further inspection dont freak out or worry...more times than not EVERYTHING is OKAY....

EVERYTIME i think i will be stopped for to much metal or something in my jewelry totes in my carry-ons it something else...so ya just NEVER KNOW

BE PREPARED and ALLOW for the EXTRA TIME!!

after you get thru security and find your gate...grab a seat and TAKE 5!!!

another thing if you are connecting flights dont rely on the gate number that is on your ticket...CONSTANTLY CHECK the DEPARTURE GATE monitors!!

check out the AIRLINE TRAVEL board on here too...lots of GOOD ADVICE and TIPs!!

if you suffer from ear probs...there is GOOD advice for that too...do searches...its all there!!

GOOD LUCK and SAFE FLIGHT and WONDERFUL CRUISE;)

Archived