knitting kneedles

Granny1

I was wondering if anyone knows if someone would be alowed to bring a set of knitting needles on board.. My cousin who is going wants to work on a project while we are crusing.. They would be in her checked luggage.. Would appreciate truthful answers and not smart remarks..:rolleyes:

Yes, I've seen knitters and crocheters on my cruises. Cross stitch and needlepoint, too. You can carry on knitting needles (plane) as long as they are plastic/wooden and don't show up on the xray. Metal needles would need to go in the checked luggage. No such restriction in ship security. EM

TSA rules actually permit you to bring knitting needles in your carry-on. If you wish to knit while on an airplane, you can:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1252.shtm

Knitting needles are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage.

Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.

TSA rules actually permit you to bring knitting needles in your carry-on. If you wish to knit while on an airplane, you can:

Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage.

As scissors are banned from carry-on air luggage you can cut your threads with a dental floss container.

Even with the rules, this varies. I've seen them taken from people at the checkpoints. Also flying back from the UK you cannot take knitting needles onboard. I'm glad I checked just to be sure at the check-in so I was able to put them in my bag just as it was being checked.

With so many things banned I just don't understand how knitting needles are permitted. With #1 or #2 short needles you could inflict some serious damage on a person with them especially if you sharpened the tips.

Even with the rules, this varies. I've seen them taken from people at the checkpoints. Also flying back from the UK you cannot take knitting needles onboard. I'm glad I checked just to be sure at the check-in so I was able to put them in my bag just as it was being checked.

With so many things banned I just don't understand how knitting needles are permitted. With #1 or #2 short needles you could inflict some serious damage on a person with them especially if you sharpened the tips.

I admit I was shocked the first time I saw them in the cabin.

The rules I quoted are those of the United States TSA and obviously apply to flights departing from the USA. Other countries may have stricter rules.

Are nail clippers allowed? I thought they were still on the banned list.

Nail clippers are allowed, provided they don't have the attached nail file. I guess they figure you can stab somebody to death with the nail file, but can't nick a jugular vein with the clipper. Last time we flew, I had a set with the nail file and the TSA agent simply bent the nail file a couple of times until it broke off and gave the clippers back to me. I thought it was better than throwing the whole thing away.

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Thanks for all the answers and I will pass the information along, but I guess I should of included in my question that we were not flying but driving to the port but thats moot now and I do appreciate all the answers that you have given us and she will be putting them in her check-in suitcase..

I guess you never know what they will ban anymore..

Thanks again for all your answers..;)

This was copied and pasted from the TSA web site. Your safe on the plane. I've seen a lot of people knitting on sea days.

"Transporting Knitting Needles & Needlepoint

Traveling with Special Items

Items needed to pursue a Needlepoint project are permitted in your carry-on baggage or checked baggage with the exception of circular thread cutters or any cutter with a blade contained inside which cannot go through the checkpoint and must go in your checked baggage."

My carry-on has been searched several times in airports, and so far, they haven't seemed too worried about the knitting needles. They ask if I have anything sharp, and I always point out my knitting, and that seems to appease them. I've been using size 1 & 2 circular needles.

Archived