Anyone used a cruiseline hotel pkg in Venice

pj-atsea

We are hoping for some input on staying at one of the cruiselines' hotels pre-cruise and using their transfers from the airport to the hotel and hotel to ship. The thought of arranging all that myself seems daunting , so we are thinking of using The Hotel Monaco in Venice with the cruiseline. We would like to hear anything from anyone who has done this kind of thing, and also anyone who has stayed at that hotel... Thanks pj

The thought of arranging all that myself seems daunting , so we are thinking of using The Hotel Monaco in Venice with the cruiseline.

Nothing could be less daunting. Go to the website for any highly rated B&B on trip advisor. 3 come to mind. Locando Orseolo, Al Ponte Mocenigo, Ca' Angeli. Book your room online. When you arrive at the airport, have a porter take you to the water taxi dock and enjoy a cruise to your hotel (30 minutes) When it's time to go to the cruise terminal, have your hotel book a water taxi. What could possibly be easier. If I charged you 15 % you would owe me about 100 Euros because I just saved you several hundred euros per night. Venice is so small that there is no particular advantage to being at St. Mark's

We are hoping for some input on staying at one of the cruiselines' hotels pre-cruise and using their transfers from the airport to the hotel and hotel to ship. The thought of arranging all that myself seems daunting , so we are thinking of using The Hotel Monaco in Venice with the cruiseline. We would like to hear anything from anyone who has done this kind of thing, and also anyone who has stayed at that hotel... Thanks pj

Sounds scary but last summer we had no issues.

Searched online for a well rated hotel, found one in central Venice.

Got off airplane, cleared customs and walked the 10' to the watertaxis for a fun ( a bit pricey ) 45' ride into venice. Views and experience were well worth it!

Walked 10' from dock to hotel. Things went reverse for the watertaxi ride to ship. Again wonderful and priceless 15' ride down the grand canal to the cruise port!

You'll pay a lot more for the cruisetours as they will surely make between 20-30% markup. For that extra money a little clicking and reading on the web can save you some $ for things like a gondola ride or the water taxi.

Happy planning

Would you mind telling us what they are charging you? Usually hotel prices through the cruise lines are at least double what you would pay if you booked directly. Depending the location of the hotel , you could very easily go by public transport from airport to hotel, and then hotel to ship.

I am sure if you do a search on this forum and/or Google you will find many posts describing the logistics.

I would look for a hotel near one of the vaporetto stops.

There are a couple of important points regarding the cruise line packages. They are convenient because they include transfers from airport to hotel (assuming you use cruise air) and from hotel to port. The packages are also generally overpriced and substantially limit your options. For example, we prefer to arrange our own air so that we can get the best flights and arrive several days early. We also like to choose our own hotels, which are always less expensive than the hotels used by the cruise lines. We prefer the smaller European style hotels in good locations whereas cruise lines generally use larger hotels. As to transfers, this is a bit complicated in Venice and does take a little planning in order to save some big dollars (water taxis are very expensive). So what is the bottom line? For those who do not want to spend time doing a little "homework" and making their own arrangements, than you should probably spend the extra bucks (often more than $1000) and book the cruise line packages. For those willing to do a little "homework" (much of which can be done right here on CC) and like to make their own choices than get to work! Keep in mind that booking European hotels is exactly like booking USA hotels and can be done on most of the same web sites (we also like Venere.com for Europe). As for doing your own air, it is always wise to fly-in (or arrive) at your embarkation port at least 1 day (we like several days) early for several reasons. It lets you recover from jet lag; prevents you from possibly missing your ship due to delayed or cancelled flights; increases the odds that you will have your luggage before you get on the ship (lost luggage often will catch-up within a day); and allows you to have some time to explore part of Europe before you get on your cruise.

Hank

Hank

A little time here on the Italy boards will make the prospect much less daunting, and as mentioned above, you will likely save a significant amount of money and have more control as well. We were in the same position when we started reseraching our May cruise, but we felt much more confident the more we read here and on Trip Advisor. We have booked the Locanda Orseolo based on multiple recommendations and have been reading up on the transportation options from the airport to Venice and then to the cruise port.

Would you mind telling us what they are charging you? Usually hotel prices through the cruise lines are at least double what you would pay if you booked directly. Depending the location of the hotel , you could very easily go by public transport from airport to hotel, and then hotel to ship.

I am sure if you do a search on this forum and/or Google you will find many posts describing the logistics.

I would look for a hotel near one of the vaporetto stops.

I think it will be around $900 and change for the two of us for one night incl transfers. I have tried looking at some of the hotels that people have recommended, but they seem to be either sold out the night in question, or they will only take 2 night bookings. It turns out there will be a regatta that weekend and it is pretty booked up now. What I have held with the cruiseline may be the only thing we can do. Also the prices in the hotels for that weekend are higher because of the regatta, I assume.. pj

A little time here on the Italy boards will make the prospect much less daunting, and as mentioned above, you will likely save a significant amount of money and have more control as well. We were in the same position when we started reseraching our May cruise, but we felt much more confident the more we read here and on Trip Advisor. We have booked the Locanda Orseolo based on multiple recommendations and have been reading up on the transportation options from the airport to Venice and then to the cruise port.

Based on those recommendations, I also checked that hotel but it is now sold out.

I think it will be around $900 and change for the two of us for one night incl transfers. I have tried looking at some of the hotels that people have recommended, but they seem to be either sold out the night in question, or they will only take 2 night bookings. It turns out there will be a regatta that weekend and it is pretty booked up now. What I have held with the cruiseline may be the only thing we can do. Also the prices in the hotels for that weekend are higher because of the regatta, I assume.. pj

Try looking on venere.com for hotels. You can put in the date(s) you need and it will only show you hotels that are available. You can then look up info on them or ask here.

Some hotels to try that are convenient for cruisers include Ca' Doge, Anticha Figura, Best Western Hotel Olimpia, and Hotel Santa Chiara to name a few.

Wow, that's high , but the Monaco and Grand Canal (if that is the hotel) is expensive. I have stayed at Hotel Metropole, right next to San Marco and like it. For later this year we are considering a hotel near Rialto bridge, called Alla Commedia. It is pretty new and looks lovely, has very high ratings in Tripadvisor.

What date are you looking for?

Wow, that's high , but the Monaco and Grand Canal (if that is the hotel) is expensive. I have stayed at Hotel Metropole, right next to San Marco and like it. For later this year we are considering a hotel near Rialto bridge, called Alla Commedia. It is pretty new and looks lovely, has very high ratings in Tripadvisor.

What date are you looking for?

The night of May 15th. Some of the prices I did see (if available) were around 350 Eur, I thought the water taxi to the hotel would be 100 or more Euros and am just guessing at 50 euros to the ship which would be around 500 euros so that would be approx $800, so maybe the $900 won't be so bad if I can't find anything else. We would like to be fairly close to St Marks Square. I don't want to stay 2 nights since I have been to Venice before. pj

The night of May 15th. Some of the prices I did see (if available) were around 350 Eur, I thought the water taxi to the hotel would be 100 or more Euros and am just guessing at 50 euros to the ship which would be around 500 euros so that would be approx $800, so maybe the $900 won't be so bad if I can't find anything else. We would like to be fairly close to St Marks Square. I don't want to stay 2 nights since I have been to Venice before. pj

I just checked a few hotels and I'm gettting same as you, in the high 300 euros. May is high season unfortunately. Another suggestion would be for you to try bidding on Priceline. People have been getting the Hilton Molino Stucky, considered either 4 or 5 stars for areasonable price. It is on Guideca island, which faces San Marco and it runs its own shuttle between Guideca and San Marco.

Let me put things in price perspective. We were able to book a small European style hotel right on the Piazale Roma for about $200 a night. So, 3 nights cost us about $600 (total for two) which included breakfast. Since we chose to stay in that location we were able to use the bus service from the airport to the Piazale Roma which cost us about $15 (can't remember the exact cost). Once we were at our hotel we simply walked across the piaza to the ACTV office (this is the Vaporetto company) where we purchased a 72 hour vaporetto pass for 33 Euros (keep in mind that a single vaporetto ride costs 6.5 Euros). We than spent three days having fun all over Venice and also used the Vaporettos to go out to both Murano and Burano (our favorite island). When it came time to head to the port we decided to walk from our hotel since it was less than 1/2 mile and we could easily roll our luggage. We could have also elected to simply take a land taxi to the port which would have cost about 5 Euros per person (taxis in the Piazale Roma were soliciting business). Sometimes there is a free shuttle bus from the Piazale Roma to the port, but for some reason it was not running the day we needed to go to the port (this is typical of Italy and why we love the country). I would estimate that the entire cost of our 3 day stay in Venice was about $900 (we did have to eat) which sure beats playing the cruise line $900 for a single night without food. We also were able to get non-stop air to Venice (from Philadelphia on USAIR) for a lot less than the cruise line wanted (for air) for flights that would have meant changing in Frankfurt (we hate that airport).

Hank

I just checked a few hotels and I'm gettting same as you, in the high 300 euros. May is high season unfortunately. Another suggestion would be for you to try bidding on Priceline. People have been getting the Hilton Molino Stucky, considered either 4 or 5 stars for areasonable price. It is on Guideca island, which faces San Marco and it runs its own shuttle between Guideca and San Marco.

Thanks, cruiseluv for your help.. I am still checking around some of the suggestions. I have never used Priceline but considering the dates, I may not have luck with that. I am still going to hold onto the cruiseline booking in case I can't find anything else. Thanks again. pj

Thanks, cruiseluv for your help.. I am still checking around some of the suggestions. I have never used Priceline but considering the dates, I may not have luck with that. I am still going to hold onto the cruiseline booking in case I can't find anything else. Thanks again. pj

I had not used Priceline ( and was hesitant to use)either until a couple of years ago for a cruise starting in Copenhagen. Then I found out from other fellow cruisers that they were getting the Marriott in Copenhagen for $120 in Priceline where I would pay close to $400 by booking directly with Marriott! I went to a website that assists you in bidding and lists recent bids and what hotels are being used by Priceline http://biddingfortravel.yuku.com/

I looked and last year in May the Molino Stucky was going for $150 in Priceline. They might use other hotels too, I don't know. Something to keep in mind if you decide to save some $$$.

If it wasn't that I'm going in August and that is low season I would probably use Priceline.

Good luck!

OK by now you have enough info. I looked up Ca Angeli for that day. Only because we stayed there in Oct. and thought it was delightful. It has 90% excellent and 10% very good rating on trip advisor. Compare that to the Monaco Hotel! 225 Euro or Can $ 340 for a queen bed with a wonderful breakfast for 2. dining room is on the Grand Canal. You need to go by water taxi but you can almost always share You can pick up someone on your roll call or at the dock. Cuts the cost to 50 Euros for 2. You can leave your luggage if you arrive before checkin or leave after check out. When it's time to leave, water taxi is your best option but less expensive would be the no 1 Vaporetto from San Sylvestro to Piazzale Roma and the people mover to the Marittima.

Archived