Nice jeans allowed in the dining room??

Just to clarify my post. I personally think a nice pair of jeans is fine for the MDR other than on formal night. But that's an opinion specifically around what to wear. My post a few back was meant to address a comment about getting to dress however you want because you paid for the cruise. When people take that kind of attitude about how they dress, they generally have that same attitude about how they act, speak and relate to others. These kinds of people are essentially selfish and have little or no respect for others and their needs/wants. I think this is what one poster refered to when they made the comment about how Americans are regarded as they travel the world. With attitudes like this (it's our cruise so we can do what we want) it's little wonder why we come accross as "ugly Americans".

Use arguments like "I think I look dressy enough in designer jeans" or "RCCL refuses to enforce the dress code". These make sense. To say to someone that they should dress however they want because they paid for their cruise" has no place in the argument.

Yes, you can wear jeans, and I have seen many wear "not so nice" jeans in the dining room as well.

With the exception of the last night I wouldn't think to wear jeans, but those who do certainly are not in the minority.

I also think a lot of what people think is wrong is really how people present themselves. I have nice jeans that I will wear when I go out, but I also have some that are just the "stay at home, wash the car, etc" type.

Wearing the worn out wear around the house jeans to dinner would certainly get noticed. Wearing the nice jeans might not even be picked-up by anyone's radar.

Just to clarify my post. I personally think a nice pair of jeans is fine for the MDR other than on formal night. But that's an opinion specifically around what to wear. My post a few back was meant to address a comment about getting to dress however you want because you paid for the cruise. When people take that kind of attitude about how they dress, they generally have that same attitude about how they act, speak and relate to others. These kinds of people are essentially selfish and have little or no respect for others and their needs/wants. I think this is what one poster refered to when they made the comment about how Americans are regarded as they travel the world. With attitudes like this (it's our cruise so we can do what we want) it's little wonder why we come accross as "ugly Americans".

Use arguments like "I think I look dressy enough in designer jeans" or "RCCL refuses to enforce the dress code". These make sense. To say to someone that they should dress however they want because they paid for their cruise" has no place in the argument.

But you know what I do on my vacation is really none of you business no matter what you think about it.

Dressing up or down in the MDR should not bother you in any way or affect your vacation.

You might have a point is, for example, I blew smoke in you face.

But if I choose to wear jeans in the MDR that's my business, not yours.

You want to decide what you do on vacation and what I do on my vacation.

Don't think it works that way.

Sorry.

It is simple.

If you want to wear jeans... skip the main dining room.

Certainly you have some other nice looking slacks that would be more appropriate?

BTW You might also want to take off your baseball hat!:cool:

Just joking of course, but I fail to see why people are always looking for permission to 'down grade' what should be a great experience.

You are being pampered on your cruise...

Do your part to keep the cruise experience top shelf!

It is simple.

Certainly you have some other nice looking slacks that would be more appropriate?

Just joking of course, but I fail to see why people are always looking for permission to 'down grade' what should be a great experience.

Because a "great experience" to you means something different than a "great experience" to me.

To me, I like to relax, let my hair down and have a good time without having to worry about getting all fancied up. That doesn't mean I wear shorts and flip flops to dinner, but it also doesn't mean I have to wear a tux to have a good time.

Don't impose your standards on other people. It only leads to disappointment.

It is simple.

Perhaps the way you view a cruise is different from how others view their cruise. To many, jeans in the MDR is not a "down grade" of an experience.

Also, you'd think on a cruise line that promotes rock climbing, flow riders, etc. would belong on the same "shelf" as one that would be ok with jeans in the MDR on casual nights.

As far as I'm concerned Royal Carribean is top shelf cruising - though some others don't seem to think so

I have worn "nice" jeans in the dining room - except for formal nights - and never have I seen anyone turned away that had "not so nice" jeans on.

It's your vacation, and if you choose not to dress up thats your business and no one else's - your always going to find some dressed up in tux's and formal gowns - but they are the minority now

Short dresses for women and slacks and a nice shirt are more than appropriate any night on the ship for dinner:)

Just curious. Does anyone responding to this thread really pay attention to what others are wearing other than your own table? If so does it impact your Cruise any? We don’t and can’t imagine wasting our time worrying/commenting on how someone else is dressed in the MDR. We always dress according to the suggested/recommended guidelines. Maybe on our upcoming Cruise we’ll start paying more attention to how others are dressed. NOT!! But, that’s how we roll.

HONESTLY.... I dont understand how WHAT anyone is wearing EFFECTS "YOUR VACATION". I will be eating in the MDR this weekend... and guess what? The only person I will be concerned will be MY FIANCE. Have you not ever been out in a public place and see someone wearing something you wouldn't be caught DEAD in? What do you do? ...I look and look away. END... OF... STORY. Whoooooooooo caresssssssss! There ARE things that will directly effect you on your cruise... chair hogs being one of them.

And what part of a "suggestions" is so hard for people to understand. Have you ever been somewhere where a dress code is ENFORCED? Yes, ENFORCED meaning that if you are not wearing what they ask you will not be let in. Doesn't matter who you are... too bad so sad. I've been to restaurants, nightclubs and lounges in NYC, Vegas and Los Angeles that clearly states "dress code policy in effect". What does it mean? NO HATS, NO RUNNERS, NO RIPPED OR TORN JEANS, MEN MUST BE IN A COLLARED SHIRT. I guess this applies to women as well, but usually a female would be in a dress or skirt of some sort at these venues. Please tell me how the MDR is any more "upscale" then a place thats charging me $18 for my martini and almost $100 for my entree? I'm not going to sit here and name drop... but we all know the calibre of venues I'm referring to.

I will not being wearing jeans in MDR... I have a lot of great dresses I'm bringing (and will be wearing the most casual skirts/sundresses for dinner). My fiance WILL be wearing jeans... yes, they are designer jeans worth upwards of $300+. Doesn't make a difference is your jeans cost 0.02.. but if they FIT you properly, are clean and don't have holes/rips... pair them with a dress shirt and blazer OR a polo... and you're golden.

And the ignorant comments such as... "jeans are to wash your car", "jeans are for Denny's", "jeans are for gardening"... has clearly NEVER entered a denim department in the last 10 years. You should take a drive over to your local Nordstrom, Bloomingdales, Saks.... or even Macy's!

Just curious. Does anyone responding to this thread really pay attention to what others are wearing other than your own table? If so does it impact your Cruise any? We don’t and can’t imagine wasting our time worrying/commenting on how someone else is dressed in the MDR. We always dress according to the suggested/recommended guidelines. Maybe on our upcoming Cruise we’ll start paying more attention to how others are dressed. NOT!! But, that’s how we roll.

you are a mind reader!

I just posted that above^

The ONLY person I plan on paying ANY attention to on my cruise is my fiance :D

The difference is; jeans are actually permitted by the suggested guidelines. Shorts are not. I am not bothered by what other people wear, but I do think they should respect the cruise line's dress code.

Amen. Yes, it is "your" cruise. However, to book a cruise with 2000+ fellow passengers and to go with an attitude of "it's my cruise....I'll do whatever I want" is pretty selfish. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more of that attitude lately. :rolleyes:

You said it right when you said "suggested guidelines" and they are just that, a suggestion. There are many people who just don't feel comfortable dressing up, let alone on vacation. Secondly, there are many people that have never cruised before who plan merely for sun and surf--leaving their fancier attire at home.

I am not saying that cruisers should not have respect for their fellow passengers, on the contrary. But the way one person dresses should have no bearing on the enjoyment of other cruisers. (as long as they are dressed and not undressed) Let loose and have fun.

Saying that, I will be bringing my new tux for formal night on the AOS in march. Because I love to dress up--and I look damn good in it too ;-p

I will make sure to post a photo of myself with my friends on formal night. Most likely they will be in jeans and polos--because that's how they feel most comfortable.

Why be turned away on formal night? :confused: The guidelines are clearly stated. No shorts, tank tops, caps, bare feet at dinner. Period. End of story.

Because thats what we witnessed, a guy walked up to the MDR and the Matre D turned him away because he was wearing jeans. I have said in the past that I think it depends on the Maitre D. So its a possibility, not quite end of story Im afraid.

When I used to cruise years ago I used to wear the full ballgown regalia on formal night and so did most people but I now wear a much simpler cocktail dress. One of the reasons being that with airlines now their baggage allowances are so tight and excess baggage so high that people are packing with a lot more co-ordination in mind. Also people have pre or post cruise stopovers where "traditional" formal night attire would not be worn. Therefore packing items only to wear once. If we were able to drive to the port that would be completely different as there is no restriction on baggage.

I think that it is how people wear their clothing that matters together with make up on (probably females only!), hair done etc that counts.

Now back to the subject.

Hubby bought a tux a few years ago before a Celebrity cruise. That was 2005 and most of the men wore tuxes on that cruise. We like to dress up on formal night but with the airline restrictions it is becoming more and more of a pain. A lot of people still dress formally. I no longer bring a long dress I opt for the cocktail length as you can pack two in the space of one.

I really don't care what people wear in the dining room with the exception of dirty clothes and tank tops/undershirts on men (or women for that matter if they don't shave their underarms)

On formal night I would much rather sit beside some one in a clean tee shirt and shorts than someone who has never sent their tux or formal dress to the cleaners in the last 20 cruises:p

And in reply to the original poster...I don't think there is anything wrong with nice jeans in the dining room.

This is, perhaps, the other side of the "How to dress" coin: On a Royal cruise several years ago, on formal night, I chose to wear a black, beaded top, and long, black skirt. I had, in fact, purchased the top on an earlier Celebrity cruise. As I stepped aside to let two older ladies off an elevator, one of them looked at me and said "I would never get as dressed up as that for a cruise!" Her friend chimed in and agreed. While I have heard many times that people have been accused of being under-dressed for formal night, this was the first time I've ever heard someone accused of being overdressed! :rolleyes:

This is, perhaps, the other side of the "How to dress" coin: On a Royal cruise several years ago, on formal night, I chose to wear a black, beaded top, and long, black skirt. I had, in fact, purchased the top on an earlier Celebrity cruise. As I stepped aside to let two older ladies off an elevator, one of them looked at me and said "I would never get as dressed up as that for a cruise!" Her friend chimed in and agreed. While I have heard many times that people have been accused of being under-dressed for formal night, this was the first time I've ever heard someone accused of being overdressed! :rolleyes:

Yes, we've received looks and questions as to whether it was our first cruise while dressed up on Formal Night (tux and gown for me and DD) as though dressing up were some form of naivete.:rolleyes: Of course we've also received compliments for varying reasons (many of which have been expressed here by others).:p

One nice side benefit of dressing up is we never would go to a portrait studio for pics (because, really, do they ever stop trying to solicit you to get MORE taken afterward?), so we always get some taken on formal night. The photographers took so many of DD last Spring (posing her all different ways, the little ham) that we had a hard time choosing. Lots of fun!

I know what you mean, us Brits get all sorts of reputations but anyone with any education would know that not all are the same.:)

Maz, you are so right! But I will say my British friends also held stereotypes about Americans that weren't true. For example, until they visited, they thought we lived like the TV show Dallas (we live in Dallas). I will also say to anyone that thinks they won't be well fed, I had one of the best meals of my life in England! And I am quite particular.

That's a first:D...I used to love the beaded dresses but they weigh so much with the airline baggage restrictions I no longer bring them.

What "thing"? LOL..... My husband and I both post here under the same name...therfore "WE";)

So what is your point??? Sheeeesh!!!:rolleyes:

Toooooooooooo funny!!! Please note, I am laughing at you ...not with you!

I happen to agree with Janice - no one speaks for me but me. and while it's nice to know that there are 2 of you using one CC alias, I also believed you intended "and WE AMERICANS don't care...!"

go on and laugh at me. I am American and really don't care what you, reeran(s), think of me.

That's a first:D...I used to love the beaded dresses but they weigh so much with the airline baggage restrictions I no longer bring them.

I'll be driving, but there are 3 issues my beaded dress:

1. The weight--I may not be going on a plane but it will still make my suitcase that much heavier!!!

2. Will I be able to fit into it...yes, probably, but if it is a close thing, do I want to risk not being able to do so and then being mad about number 1 (obviously I'm talking about it fitting before I pack it and then not fitting after a day and a half of indulgence, LOL:eek:).

3. I'll undoubtedly be going up and down the stairs in it and there is nothing worse than doing so and hearing/feeling the crunch as you accidentally step on your own hem and the fear that you are going to fall down because of it (yes, I know how to hold my dress up as I walk, but it can still happen).

Just trying to inject a little levity back into this thread...:D

Archived