Nice jeans allowed in the dining room??

Until RCL takes a stand on jeans and reinforces it on every cruise, we will alway have this discussion.

Also, this board only represents a very small percentage of actual cruisers, who is going to tell the non CC people what to wear.;)

I'll be driving, but there are 3 issues my beaded dress:

1. The weight--I may not be going on a plane but it will still make my suitcase that much heavier!!!

2. Will I be able to fit into it...yes, probably, but if it is a close thing, do I want to risk not being able to do so and then being mad about number 1 (obviously I'm talking about it fitting before I pack it and then not fitting after a day and a half of indulgence, LOL:eek:).

3. I'll undoubtedly be going up and down the stairs in it and there is nothing worse than doing so and hearing/feeling the crunch as you accidentally step on your own hem and the fear that you are going to fall down because of it (yes, I know how to hold my dress up as I walk, but it can still happen).

Just trying to inject a little levity back into this thread...:D

I always try to wear the tighter ones early in the cruise because they may not fit later on!!!:eek:

We try to do the steps as much as possible...but I draw the line on formal night because high heels and steps do not mix with me.:rolleyes:

I have gotten away from long dresses because of the weight and room they take up...but I do like them.

Thanks for the levity!!!:D

Until RCL takes a stand on jeans and reinforces it on every cruise, we will alway have this discussion.

Perhaps RCI has taken a stand on jeans...

From my reading of the guidelines jeans are ok in the MDR for casual nights (the stand). And to the best of my knowledge, I haven't read anyone saying they were denied access to the MDR in jeans on a casual night (the reinforcement).

If by allowed, you mean not turned away, then yes. The compass only lists shorts, hats, and swim attire as items not allowed at dinner.

This is the correct answer - I am not sure why this becomes so hottly debated. If you are asking what the RULES are then you have your answer.

If you are asking what every member of CC thinks - so this can somehow justify what you wear- then this will continue to be debated.

Wear what you want (within the stated guideline above) and have a good vacation.

Because thats what we witnessed, a guy walked up to the MDR and the Matre D turned him away because he was wearing jeans. I have said in the past that I think it depends on the Maitre D. So its a possibility, not quite end of story Im afraid.

Oh yes it is End of Story. Nothing written anywhere precludes denim in the MDR. Anyway, who "walks up to the MDR"? It's a cattle call and very impersonal.

I am so bored with the jeans/denim look I could tear my hair out! You mean to say there isn't anything ELSE you can wear to dinner in a decent restaurant, on land or at sea? Sure, you can wear just about anything at any time in the dining rooms on cruise ships these days as pretty much anything goes. I'd just love to see less denim...it's driving me nuts!

Oh yes it is End of Story. Nothing written anywhere precludes denim in the MDR. Anyway, who "walks up to the MDR"? It's a cattle call and very impersonal.

There well be nothing written but the OP asked if jeans were ok, most say yes, but all I did was warn her that its a possibility of being turned away as we saw for ourselves. Im not against anything but she has a right to know what everyone thinks and has witnessed not just a few of you who are adamant its ok to wear anything. Its not always the case, you may not have ever seen anyone turned away but I have.

And as for the cattle market, we did MTD and never experienced that, it was very civilised and that was the time this guy walked up and was turned away, so perhaps because he got individual attention that drew the attention to what he was wearing. Who knows.

Perhaps you could look at the bigger picture and not just your experiences.

To grand isle joe:

I'm wiping my coffee off my computer screen...it was impossible to keep it in and laugh out loud!!!!

Along your line of reasoning: have you seen the "Casual Friday" TV commercial where everyone is wearing their "whitey tighties" to work? :eek:

As dress codes become more relaxed, how far will it go?...hopefully not down to sequin Speedos or whitey tighties.:D:D:D

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Mariner on 2/21 and this was the first time I have seen a notice posted about dress code outside of the MDR. It doesn't address jeans or flip flops, but is specific enough. I may not have cruised as much as others, but I don't dress for others. I think I spend enough time trying to get my teenage son to not wear a baseball cap to meals and of course, trying to enjoy our vacation to worry. The only thing that does bother me is seeing people in bathrobes and slippers walking around the ship as if they were home. But hey, at least they are enjoying themselves enough to feel comfortable. :D

DSC_5612-1.jpg

This thread is hysterical.

I must be the only one who spends all day running around, catching sun, and touring that I come to dinner 1) famished; 2) excited to hear what our tablemates or table neighbors did for the day and 3) excited for what tomorrow will bring, so that I really don't notice or care what anyone else around me is wearing.

On a personal note, Im from NYC - go into any top restaurant in the City (except for the jackets required places) and you'll see most customers - men and women - in jeans. It really isn't what you are wearing - it's how you wear it.

Obviously, for a "formal night" or "formal event" most people tend to get dressed up, but since there isn't a mandatory dress code, it's up to the individual to choose what they want to wear (just know, some people may scoff at you - but you can't control what others think).

This thread is hysterical.

On a personal note, Im from NYC - go into any top restaurant in the City (except for the jackets required places) and you'll see most customers - men and women - in jeans. It really isn't what you are wearing - it's how you wear it.

And, there's now very few of those! ;)

Technically, "nice" jeans are not even on the accepted list of dinner attire. If you look at your cruise documents, it says evening attire should consist of:

Casual: sundresses or slacks and blouses for women; polo shirts and trousers for men.

Smart Casual: dresses or pantsuits for women; jackets for men

Formal: cocktail dresses for women; suits and ties or tuxedos for men.

"Slacks" would not be considered jeans and jeans are not slacks...even "nice" ones. Not that you would be kicked out of the dining room for wearing them, but it is the essence of the event, the night, the cruise that should make you want to dress up a little nicer for yourself.

That said... if I see anyone at dinner in shorts or grungy outfits, I will present my disappointment to the service desk (as they request us to do). Even if it is 2010, we should still have enough respect for ourselves and our fellow cruisers to be presentable. I mean, what kind of representation is that providing our younger kids if we don't give a crap about our own presentation?! If it continues, then in 2015 some will be wearing swimsuits, or heck, coming in naked to dinner. And the thought of it is just appalling! Off my soapbox now. :)

And, honestly, the only place I think jackets are required up there is the 21 Club.

These posts always make me laugh. When your are on a cruise you are on VACATION. You should do what makes you feel comfortable, not what's going to make the people around you comfortable. I'm not saying be rude and obnoxious, but you should'nt have to worry about what the people around you are wearing.

When you take a land based vacation do you care about what the other people at the restaurant are wearing? Cruises aren't country clubs, they are just large floating vacations.

I've been to some of the best restaurants in NYC, DC, SF and LA and never let what other people were wearing have any bearing on my ability to enjoy my meal.

On our EOS cruise last year, I wore jeans to every meal in the MDR, except for one of the formals where we took a group picture. But no tie. ;)

I tend to be of the "live and let live" school of thought, but I have to part ways with those who say they don't notice what anybody else wears. I think part of the fun of cruising, and particularly dining in the MDR, is the people-watching! I love seeing people dressed up on formal nights, just as I love seeing everybody else enjoying their cruise!

Technically, "nice" jeans are not even on the accepted list of dinner attire. If you look at your cruise documents, it says evening attire should consist of:

Casual: sundresses or slacks and blouses for women; polo shirts and trousers for men.

"Slacks" would not be considered jeans and jeans are not slacks...even "nice" ones. Not that you would be kicked out of the dining room for wearing them, but it is the essence of the event, the night, the cruise that should make you want to dress up a little nicer for yourself.

So, since jeans technically are trousers, it's ok for men to wear them but not women? :confused:

Well, technically speaking, evening gowns are not on the list for ladies formal wear. Technically speaking it doesn't mention that men should wear a shirt and pants on smart casual nights, so I guess you don't have to wear them. :eek:

Coincidentally, I was putting away my clothes last night and wondered how heavy my jeans were. Two pair weighed 3.5 lbs, my entire tux on the hanger doesn't weigh that much. So to make room for my wifes shoes I am wearing my tux. Just makes perfect sense right?

So by that logic, don't even bring jeans, I'm not.

OK I will be honest I did not read this entire thread, but I teach 7th graders who had a formal dance last Friday night and they were all griping about not wearing jeans. I just don't get it what is the big deal, it is only for a night or two and if you don't want to wear them there are other places to eat. I told my kids that as well, it was only for one night and if you don't like it...don't go and mess it up for those that do want to go and have it more special. Sorry just my two sense, I know it will make a lot of people mad...sorry in advance not the intent, just had to get it off my chest =)

Another thought occured to me - some on this thread justified not bringing formal wear because of the baggage fees on the airlines and not being able to "afford" the extra weight/space. Some of these same people pack snorkel gear, irons (even though they aren't allowed), cans of soda, ten pounds of video equipment, twenty books to read, etc. etc. etc. Come on!

Archived