Nice jeans allowed in the dining room??

We are on the Monarch for 4 nights and the only pants my husband is bringing is a pair of very nice jeans. We want to pack as lightly as possible because of airline luggage fees and we would get more bang out of jeans than a pair of dressier pants for the rest of our Orlando vacation. Maybe we'll eat elsewhere on the formal night if we get turned away but I know the dinner would be better in MDR than the Windjammer....

I think a tall, thin man in jeans with a dress shirt is super sexy. I think a thin woman looks great in jeans. I also feel that fat women, and I am one of them, look terrible in jeans, especially the tight ones. I wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room as they don't look good on me and I like to be dressed in what looks good rather than what someone says is the style.

I think the reasons that people wear t-shirts, shorts, ball caps etc in the dining room, when not allowed, are that the Maitre d' is afraid that someone will lose a tip if these people are refused entry. I also believe that if a cruiser complained to RCCL headquarters that they were denied dining because of their dress, the person who denied them would be in big trouble. I don't think RCCL would back the Maitre d' or anyone.

I don't think people need to get dressed up on non-formal nights, as long as they wear clothes that are in the guidelines set by the cruise company. If someone does have the b---s to stop the under-dressed, perhaps at some point people will get the point and stop showing up in whatever they feel like wearing--even if it's a bathing suit top and a pair of shorts.

I know these are my opinions, but I still expect to get flamed, lol.

I have worn jeans to the MDR on every cruise I've taken so far. Nice jeans with some stilettos and a dressy top is what I'm "comfortable" in. I tried wearing a dress and ended up going back to change. I'm all about packing lightly! Not once have I felt under dressed.

Jeans are allowed in the dining room and many women can make jeans look quite nice, just like many women can make khakis or black pants look sloppy. I wear jeans with heels and a nice top. I think there is no black or white rule that "jeans belong in the garden." This is the 21st century, where denim is chic and fashionable and, yes, smart casual. :)

DGNY, I was only using Denny's as an example as that was the one that came to mind at the moment, I personally wouldn't let someone in jeans bother me, regardless of my personal preferance, unless they arrived in worn jeans. I live in a very casual city and will wear jeans. I have even seen shorts being worn during our hot summers at the restaurants. At the finer restaurants, then we see people dressed up more. This is a topic, like many others that will be debated for a long time, but I do feel that if certain guidlines are set by the cruise lines, restaurants wherever, that it is only common coutesy to adhere to them. I will continue to enjoy my dinner regardless.

But I still have trouble thinking of the dining room as "fine dining" when the waitstaff is parading, singing and waving towels.

This made me laugh.

I would not consider the MDR fine dining at all but I think they like formal nights to be dress up nights so people will buy pictures. ;)

I have to agree, these clothes posts are entertaining and kind of amusing.

I always get a kick out of clothes threads too.

I don't care what people wear. Jeans are not all bad. For example, DW looks a lot better in a nice pair of jeans than a lot of women look in their cocktail dresses. But that's because she can pull it off and turn heads in the process. I just think that people should dress to what compliments the way they look.

I have to agree, these clothes posts are entertaining and kind of amusing.

I guess dumbing down means if you wear jeans you're stupid, hee hee.

For all the people that want to cruise so they can play dress up, there are those that want to cruise so they can kick back. My DH wears a shirt and tie every day to work and HATES dressing up on vacation. I do like eating in the dining room every night so he will wear a collared shirt and jacket for formal nights. No tie! I don't like dresses so I'll wear black slacks and a dressy top. Polo's, Khakis, or capri's -gasp nice jeans other nights.

I guess I must feel on some level that you have to dress up a little for formal night or I wouldn't do it, but honestly I don't pay attention to what others a wearing and it wouldn't effect my time one way or the other to have someone at the next table (or my table) in shorts or a t-shirt.

And the denim being denim, what's a nice jean? Is that a for real question? To me, nice jeans are well.... nice jeans. Not faded, ripped (think 80's) cut off, patches sewed on. Ya know, not nice jeans. Big difference between not nice & nice.

What!! Are you saying my Acid Washed jeans from the 80”s are not nice jeans. I’m appalled.

Some hoity-toity people have a personality that matches their clothing in dining room. I usually wear dress slacks, but I'd rather sit by someone with jeans and a personality than a stuffed shirt dressed to the nines.

"Nice" jeans paired with a "nice" top really runs the gamut of subjectivity. What one may consider "nice" may be anything but to another - it so much a matter of personal taste and preference. So much so, that asking if "nice" jeans paired with a "nice" top bcomes almost moot:)

Because it is quite obvious that the dress code has scaled down a bit in the MDR I think it may be very good idea for those who are offended by what others wear, [some seem as if they spend most of the assigned dinner times searching for someone to p!68 them off:p] to get a table for yourself or with the party you are traveling with so you will not be subjected by the appearance of others. :rolleyes:

Some should also read what they post. Some and I say some of you make yourselves sound like one of those people you would hate to get stuck eating with all week. And you're the ones in your sunday goin' to meeting clothes!:p

Clothes just don't make the person IMHO.

"I think a tall, thin man in jeans with a dress shirt is super sexy. I think a thin woman looks great in jeans. I also feel that fat women, and I am one of them, look terrible in jeans, especially the tight ones. I wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room as they don't look good on me and I like to be dressed in what looks good rather than what someone says is the style."

This poster makes a great point:

Some people can just "get away" with more casual clothing items in a more formal atmosphere than others. A man in darker, newer looking jeans, with an open collared lighter blue shirt (buttoned or even golf-type shirt) and a sport jacket is not only acceptable, he will look dressier than alot of the others on anything but formal night. The appropriate jacket always "dresses" up jeans.

Mitch

These jeans posts always are entertaining. I think your feelings on this depend on what you're used to--where you're from, how old you are, etc. In some cities, you would not wear khaki dockers out to a nice restaurant, but that seems to be what is expected in the MDR, which is basically the equivalent of a banquet hall. I feel that a nicely cut pair of jeans often look better and more appropriate than a pair of frumpy, poorly cut cotton or polyester pants. Sometimes you can't even tell that they are denim unless you feel them.

You have raised a very interesting point here about what even constitutes a pair of jeans. An example: I have a pair of really nice black pants that I have worn to very expensive restaurants here in Atlanta. Guess what? Talbots sold them as "jeans"..."uncut corduroy jeans." You know what they look like? Black VELVET pants. So, LOL, maybe we need to get more specific about our terms here...are we talking about blue/black denim? Or are we talking about what fashion houses/stores LABEL as jeans? Yes, most of us probably think of blue/black denim when we hear the word, but probably not all of us. And, no, I'm not into wearing blue/black denim in the MDR, but I just realized for the first time that there are circumstances when I might actually wear "jeans" there without thinking twice.:eek:

Please note, I am just pointing out how interesting the different ways we all think bring the kind of diversity to these boards which make them so great. This post is not meant to correct the way anyone thinks about their pants, just point out that fashion is kind of crazy at times!:D

I am sorry if this has been posted here before .......but are nice jeans allowed in the dining room at dinner time? Paired with a nice top? I know on some other cruise lines this is fine...not sure if that is the case with RCCL these days. Thanks!

I don't mean this in a negative way, but I am curious why so many questions on Jeans. Is it because you only wear jeans most of the time. Probably every one I know from age 1 to 100 owns a pair of jeans but they also have other type of pants/slacks. I see people wearing them to Church on Sunday morning ( I don't like that but at least they are in church.) If the only way you are going to feel not restricted is to wear jeans, by all means wear them. My three sons (teenagers and early 20's) have never even thought of wearing jeans out to a restaurant other than fast food.

Just some comments based on curiosity of why this question comes up so much.

I have worn jeans and shorts(oh the horror) to dinner on every non formal night that I have been on a cruise. The matre d' still extends his palm for his envelope on the last night of the cruise even though I'm wearing jeans or shorts.

I'm a guy, but I disagree with much of what's been said. I don't personally think jeans belong in the Dining Room. Can you wear them? Absolutely! Even on formal nights I've seen jeans, and the staff usually looks the other way. I just think Dining Rooms on ships deserve more than your usual Chili's-Applebees-Olive Garden attire. Feel free to flame away.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU ! THANK YOU!

Now they can flame me too...LOL. If I want to wear jeans while at dinner I'll take them with me when we go camping. Cruising is my NICE vacation and I don't even bring them with me except the pair I am wearing on the plane! I don't bring them on land vacations either EXCEPT camping:cool:

Archived