Nice jeans allowed in the dining room??

Wore Jeans on Casual and smart casual day going down and coming back... No probs.. not even one single dirty look :)

Wore shorts on casual day... no one cared.. :rolleyes:

Did however, look nice and presentable... in other words I didn't show up in a cut off and jean shorts with holes...

Formal... I seen people in less than formal dresses... men without ties... it all depends on how you carry yourself and that you are not making a scene.

Don't worry Be happy enjoy your cruise comfortably

I am gonna wear my speedo, thongs and tank top, how would you all like that? LOL

Some people need to get a life and quit worrying about how others look, who really give a hoot? Just go and enjoy your cruise:) and quit your complaining. If it is that important to you, go on HAL or Celebrity. Enough already.

I am gonna wear my speedo, thongs and tank top, how would you all like that? LOL

Some people need to get a life and quit worrying about how others look, who really give a hoot? Just go and enjoy your cruise:) and quit your complaining. If it is that important to you, go on HAL or Celebrity. Enough already.

What about you baseball cap? LOL.

To answer the OP's question, Yes, nice jeans are allowed in the MDR.

And that is not my opinion, it is from experience and observation on many Royal Caribbean cruises over a period of many years. I will not follow up with any opinion as to whether I think it is OK or great or not OK or not great, just that it is a fact.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a big difference between nice designer jeans and not-so-nice-jeans. If I can wear the jeans (with heels and a nice top) to some of the the best restaurants in LA, Vegas, and NY, I think they can certainly be worn in the MDR. Not for formal night (because it goes against the spirit of it) but certainly on any other night.

It's your cruise. If you feel comfortable in Jeans go ahead and wear them anytime you want. You paid good money for your cruise and it's your prerogative to wear whatever you want whenever you want. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

There are plenty of people who will wear cargo shorts and flip flops even on formal night. Doesn't bother me.

On a casual night the outfit you describe - definitely. Personally I wouldn't wear jeans on a smart casual night but no doubt there are others who do. I couldn't care less what other people wear to be honest.... it's whatever makes you comfortable.

I agree with you 100% It is very funny to me how others freak out because someone is not wearing what "they" consider appropriate :rolleyes:

For my DH & I, the evening is set by the company we are with, not the clothes they are wearing.

This is how we feel as well. We've had lots of lovely times with strangers who became friends on a cruise and they were not dressed as "suggested".

As long as I don't have to look at some redneck in a tank top and baseball cap, I'm good.

I feel this way as well, but not just at dinner, although I'd take out the redneck comment and as long as it is day time and not in a restaurant, the ball cap is fine. I just cannot stand to see any mans hairy armpits in a tank top...not even at the pool. Blech.

IMHO, "nice jeans" is a contradiction in terms.

DON

I have a couple pair of jeans that I would challenge you to identify as jeans. Dark wash, almost black, nice cut, worn with heels. I've seen plenty of men looking very fine in jeans and a nice shirt.

I think the objection to jeans is strong when you see a person wearing jeans they may also wear to clean out the garage, coming in to dinner in them. While I wouldn't wear them myself, nor would my husband I still don't feel as if we have the right to be so judgmental towards people. You never really know until you get to know the person, so refrain from making opinions until you know better.

We've met wonderful people and horrid people, both in jeans and dressed up.

I don't wear jeans on a cruise typically because I wear them to work all the time. I don't wear them on weekends either, I like to dress nicer than I do for work...I guess I'm the opposite of many people. The above mentioned jeans I did take on our last cruise for evening wear and I would again, but I'd not take my daily wear jeans.

It's your cruise. If you feel comfortable in Jeans go ahead and wear them anytime you want. You paid good money for your cruise and it's your prerogative to wear whatever you want whenever you want. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

There are plenty of people who will wear cargo shorts and flip flops even on formal night. Doesn't bother me.

I think this is very bad advice and displays an attitude that I hope most cruisers don't have. The notion that you get to wear, do, say, act anyway you want to because you paid for something shows a certain lack of respect that everyone needs to have when sailing together within the confines of a ship. It's a very selfish point of view.

I just returned home from Serenade and the attire is casual. Shorts are even permitted. I saw many people in jeans and shorts and all looked fine. Nobody said anything. Looked to me that everyone enjoyed dinner.

Told my waiters we would not be dining for formal night and they asked us to please come. You will be fine. We did not go and I heard many tables were empty.

I think-as many discussions here on CC-this topic is outdated and things are not and never will be the way they were. At least on this cruise line. Maybe other lines still follow some traditions but I saw with my own eyes-tradition is fading fast.

I noticed smart casual is gone. Caribbean theme night was definitly shorts and yes-flip flops for many. Jeans were plentiful on all other nights.

It would be far to easy for me to say-this topic can fade away because dining room attire has definitly gone to a more casual theme. Most of us know this to be fact but it seems this topic is just too juicy to let it die it's timely death!!:D

The difference is; jeans are actually permitted by the suggested guidelines. Shorts are not. I am not bothered by what other people wear, but I do think they should respect the cruise line's dress code.

I think this is very bad advice and displays an attitude that I hope most cruisers don't have. The notion that you get to wear, do, say, act anyway you want to because you paid for something shows a certain lack of respect that everyone needs to have when sailing together within the confines of a ship. It's a very selfish point of view.

Amen. Yes, it is "your" cruise. However, to book a cruise with 2000+ fellow passengers and to go with an attitude of "it's my cruise....I'll do whatever I want" is pretty selfish. Unfortunately, I'm seeing more and more of that attitude lately. :rolleyes:

I think a tall, thin man in jeans with a dress shirt is super sexy. I think a thin woman looks great in jeans. I also feel that fat women, and I am one of them, look terrible in jeans, especially the tight ones. I wouldn't wear jeans to the dining room as they don't look good on me and I like to be dressed in what looks good rather than what someone says is the style.

I think the reasons that people wear t-shirts, shorts, ball caps etc in the dining room, when not allowed, are that the Maitre d' is afraid that someone will lose a tip if these people are refused entry. I also believe that if a cruiser complained to RCCL headquarters that they were denied dining because of their dress, the person who denied them would be in big trouble. I don't think RCCL would back the Maitre d' or anyone.

I don't think people need to get dressed up on non-formal nights, as long as they wear clothes that are in the guidelines set by the cruise company. If someone does have the b---s to stop the under-dressed, perhaps at some point people will get the point and stop showing up in whatever they feel like wearing--even if it's a bathing suit top and a pair of shorts.

I know these are my opinions, but I still expect to get flamed, lol.

My only question to you is this.

Why do you care so much about what others wear in the MDR?

As long as you dress well your just fine.

If how folks dress on RCI really bothers you then find a cruise line with stronger dress guidelines.

There are quite a few out there.

These jeans posts always are entertaining. I think your feelings on this depend on what you're used to--where you're from, how old you are, etc. In some cities, you would not wear khaki dockers out to a nice restaurant, but that seems to be what is expected in the MDR, which is basically the equivalent of a banquet hall. I feel that a nicely cut pair of jeans often look better and more appropriate than a pair of frumpy, poorly cut cotton or polyester pants. Sometimes you can't even tell that they are denim unless you feel them.

This I can completely agree with. There are MANY times that I have seen someone in a nice pair of jeans and someone in khakis or even a sundress and the jeans have looked much more classy and much more sophisticated.

Bottom line is, the guidelines are clearly stated. No short, hats, tank tops, in the MDR at dinner. No mention of jeans.

Sorry to say, but it's all about what your're wearing and how you wear them. If you look good in a pair of skinny or upscale jeans, then go for it. If you look like a side of beef wrapped in denim, then do us all a favor and spare us the sight. :D

Your point of view is selfish too.

The idea that what I wear has an impact on your cruise is pretty selfish to me.

I don't really care what your attitude is about the dress code or anything else about cruising.

What I mean is nothing you can do is going to screw up my vacation.

I will not let your attitude about anything ruin my cruise.

Sorry.:D

In my experience, you would probably be ok on casual night and semi-casual, but be aware you could be possible turned away on formal night.:)

Why be turned away on formal night? :confused: The guidelines are clearly stated. No shorts, tank tops, caps, bare feet at dinner. Period. End of story.

True about the shorts, but they should "make someone..." wear something decent no matter what they spend on a cruise.

Isn't dressing up in your finest all part of the tradition of cruising?

People know this before they book that they should dress up a bit. its all part of the fun. But then again, everyone just seems to want to dumb down everything these days don't they?

Not following you here. Dressing your finest may be part of YOUR cruising tradition, but I don't think the cruise lines are following your choices, creating their own guidelines for acceptable attire.

Additionally, I have yet to see a RCCL commercial with people in tuxes/gowns, so I would disagree with your assessment that people booking "should know" that they "should dress up a bit". Based on what, exactly?

also not sure what you mean by dumb down?

So if my suiter case is "misplaced" by the airlines, then I'm suppose to eat at the buffet rather than enjoy the MDR experience I paid for? Sorry, but your idea of respect seems to be self serving.

What if I don't own really nice dress clothes, don't require really nice dress clothes and don't care to spend several hundred dollars on suite's or a tux, formal gowns, shoes et..... In order to show others respect I have to spend several hundred dollars? I don't think so. Thank goodness I don't have to live up to your particular standards.

The only opinion that matters is RCI's opinion. Their opinion is that everyone is welcome. It does't matter if you're suit case is lost or if you just can' afford to spend several hundred dollars for clothes some people might only wear on a cruise. Royal Caribbean R E S P E C T S everyone's desire to be comfortable, have a good time and enjoy ALL the venues offered with very few restrictions.

Everyone might as well face reality. Formal night isn't much more than country club casual anymore. For those that want something a little more uptown it will have to be on a different cruise line. RCI is a casual cruise line with the expectation that everyone can afford to have a great time.

Perfect. thank you.

Archived