Nice jeans allowed in the dining room??

I am sorry if this has been posted here before .......but are nice jeans allowed in the dining room at dinner time? Paired with a nice top? I know on some other cruise lines this is fine...not sure if that is the case with RCCL these days. Thanks!

We witnessed all sorts of dress in the MDR this past week. Everything from shorts on night one (didn't see them the rest of the cruise) to blue jeans and t-shirts. I even saw one older gentleman dressed in slacks, sports coat and one of those tux t-shirts. Why wear a sports coat and t-shirt is beyond me but, that's what he was wearing.

Most people had on nice clothes but I definately wouldn't say it was anything more than business casual on casaul nights or smart casual night and country club casual on formal nights.

Maybe if the only way that you can wear jeans is part of an ensemble that only belongs in the garden or on a camping trip, then you should not wear them in the dining room. However, if you are capable of wearing jeans with heels and a dressy top (and you feel comfortable) then go for it!

One of the reasons I told my husband that I wanted to take a cruise, was so I would have a good excuse to buy some nice dressy clothes and play "dress up" for a week.

You go to the cruise line web site and it tells you what the "standard" of dress is. Yes, some people just do what they want to do anyway, they have that right I guess. But I think of it more like, running that stop sign, or speeding. Although it is not a "law" on a cruise, I will repsect their guidelines.

I dont plan on dressing up every night on my cruise, but will however avoid the MDR when I choose not to out of respect for others.

ha ha ha ha........mine is going to be playing "dress up" as well the week we are on the cruise.....should be interesting to say the least

For those of you who have issues, a question:

Why do you care what other people are wearing?

I don't pay attention to anybody in the MDR other than my travel companion, my waitstaff, and the newbies sitting with me. As far as I'm concerned, I cannot see you from the waist-down.

You can show up in a tuxedo or a pair of khakis with flip flops. I'm there to eat my food, I DON'T CARE.

Is it because you have insecurities? If you see a person wearing jeans and you're in a ballgown, you're feeling insecure about your choice of attire?

Yes, you like to dress up. Some people dress up every day at their job. For them, wearing jeans just *might* be a novelty and their idea of going outside of their comfort zone.

I think the real issue here is whether or not you are too judgemental in your life. Focus on yourself for once and maybe you'll find a chunk of happiness and less likely to pick on other people.

I don't pay attention to anybody in the MDR other than my travel companion, my waitstaff, and the newbies sitting with me. As far as I'm concerned, I cannot see you from the waist-down.

You can show up in a tuxedo or a pair of khakis with flip flops. I'm there to eat my food, I DON'T CARE.

Is it because you have insecurities? If you see a person wearing jeans and you're in a ballgown, you're feeling insecure about your choice of attire?

Yes, you like to dress up. Some people dress up every day at their job. For them, wearing jeans just *might* be a novelty and their idea of going outside of their comfort zone.

I think the real issue here is whether or not you are too judgemental in your life. Focus on yourself for once and maybe you'll find a chunk of happiness and less likely to pick on other people.

Couldn't of been said any better!

R E S P E C T for others.

Sorry but if you dont want to follow the (yes I read it) "suggested attire" there are other venues you can visit. Do the MDR on nights that it is not formal.

Sorry but if you dont want to follow the (yes I read it) "suggested attire" there are other venues you can visit. Do the MDR on nights that it is not formal.

So, if you don't follow the suggested attire you should eat in the WJ or have room service?

The Guest Vacation Documents for our upcoming cruise suggests cocktail dresses for women on formal night. My wife will be packing three full length evening gowns, do you think that they will let us in the MDR? We sure don't want to eat in the WJ.:eek:

So, if you don't follow the suggested attire you should eat in the WJ or have room service?

The Guest Vacation Documents for our upcoming cruise suggests cocktail dresses for women on formal night. My wife will be packing three full length evening gowns, do you think that they will let us in the MDR? We sure don't want to eat in the WJ.:eek:

/shrug

Everything I read says formal gowns or cocktail dresses for women, Tuxedos or dark suits for men

I guess it really does not matter, people wear whatever they want to wear anyway.

R E S P E C T for others.

So if my suiter case is "misplaced" by the airlines, then I'm suppose to eat at the buffet rather than enjoy the MDR experience I paid for? Sorry, but your idea of respect seems to be self serving.

What if I don't own really nice dress clothes, don't require really nice dress clothes and don't care to spend several hundred dollars on suite's or a tux, formal gowns, shoes et..... In order to show others respect I have to spend several hundred dollars? I don't think so. Thank goodness I don't have to live up to your particular standards.

The only opinion that matters is RCI's opinion. Their opinion is that everyone is welcome. It does't matter if you're suit case is lost or if you just can' afford to spend several hundred dollars for clothes some people might only wear on a cruise. Royal Caribbean R E S P E C T S everyone's desire to be comfortable, have a good time and enjoy ALL the venues offered with very few restrictions.

Everyone might as well face reality. Formal night isn't much more than country club casual anymore. For those that want something a little more uptown it will have to be on a different cruise line. RCI is a casual cruise line with the expectation that everyone can afford to have a great time.

Never said it was....

You said “Sorry but if you dont want to follow the (yes I read it) "suggested attire" there are other venues you can visit. Do the MDR on nights that it is not formal’. If RCCL is suggesting a dress code and allows Cruisers to dress how they feel who are you to suggest other venues to visit? You are no different than me, just another paying guest. As I said and you read the evening dress code is suggested not required.

You said “Sorry but if you dont want to follow the (yes I read it) "suggested attire" there are other venues you can visit. Do the MDR on nights that it is not formal’. If RCCL is suggesting a dress code and allows Cruisers to dress how they feel who are you to suggest other venues to visit? You are no different than me, just another paying guest. As I said and you read the evening dress code is suggested not required.

I am allowed to voice my opinion on the subject just as you are. You think it is ok to dress in whatever blows your skirt up, or shorts or whatever you will wear or not wear. You have that right. I dont think it is ok and guess what? I have that right as well. I do understand what "suggested attire" means. It is my choice, as it for others, to adhere by the cruise ships wishes and wear the suggested attire.

I will for at least 2 nights wear my nice jeans, unfortunately for you, I wont grace my presence in the MDR on those nights, even if it is a casual night.

Once again, everyone has a right to their own "interpretation" of what the cruise line suggests. This is mine.

I am allowed to voice my opinion on the subject just as you are. You think it is ok to dress in whatever blows your skirt up, or shorts or whatever you will wear or not wear. You have that right. I dont think it is ok and guess what? I have that right as well. I do understand what "suggested attire" means. It is my choice, as it for others, to adhere by the cruise ships wishes and wear the suggested attire.

I will for at least 2 nights wear my nice jeans, unfortunately for you, I wont grace my presence in the MDR on those nights, even if it is a casual night.

Once again, everyone has a right to their own "interpretation" of what the cruise line suggests. This is mine.

Take a chill pill. You just assumed we dress other than the “suggested” evening dress code. WRONG!! We always dress to the suggested evening dress code and stay dressed that way for the remainder of the evening. We never take jeans and if you choose to do so good for you. That's your right. We don’t care. If you were seated at our table and you wore jeans I guarantee the conversation would not have anything to do with what we are wearing. We obviously have one thing in common, Cruising. We are new to Cruising. We will be taking our 10th Cruise this March and our philosophy is leave the real world behind and enjoy the moment. Enjoy your March Cruise. Bon Voyage.

Never mind. This is really just an exercise in futility. RCI will do what RCI wants to do. All opinions to the contrary are pointless.

Calinae-We have "met" before here due to the fact that we will be on the same cruise in March. I am a little trepidatious to actually meet you as I do plan on wearing my nice jeans in the MDR a couple of casual nights and am scared that you won't be happy with me. I hope you will rethink the idea of not being able to wear your nice jeans in the MDR on casual nights. It is really truly acceptable, contrary to what you may have heard. Please don't take this post the wrong way; I am not trying to upset you. I am just a little concerned that you might find my attire unacceptable. I promise you, we WILL NOT be the only people wearing our jeans on casual nights, and if we were, we could shock 'em together!:D

BTW, I will be wearing cocktail dresses on formal night (no jeans);)

Jeans are for working in the garden or washing the car, not for decent restaurants.

This is not necessarily true, and is a very old compass. These days "dress-up" jeans are common place. When going out with the girls downtown I often wear dark-wash skinny jeans, with high heels and a sparkly/girly top.

Calinae-We have "met" before here due to the fact that we will be on the same cruise in March. I am a little trepidatious to actually meet you as I do plan on wearing my nice jeans in the MDR a couple of casual nights and am scared that you won't be happy with me. I hope you will rethink the idea of not being able to wear your nice jeans in the MDR on casual nights. It is really truly acceptable, contrary to what you may have heard. Please don't take this post the wrong way; I am not trying to upset you. I am just a little concerned that you might find my attire unacceptable. I promise you, we WILL NOT be the only people wearing our jeans on casual nights, and if we were, we could shock 'em together!:D

BTW, I will be wearing cocktail dresses on formal night (no jeans);)

Never said you could not wear your jeans in the MDR on casual nights, I said I WON'T wear them in MDR at all. On the nights I choose to wear my jean you will find me at Johnny Rockets or in the Windjammer.

Never once said I think less of someone who chooses not to wear formal, at least I dont think I did. If I did forgive me, cause that is not how it was meant to come out. All I said was that I dont agree with it. I will stick to "SUGGESTED" attire, yup I said it again.

But as the OP started this thread with 'asking' if it was ok. Her answers were a combination of peoples personal experiences in the MDR and some were peoples opinions on the subject. Mine was just that, an opinion. I have af ew of them on some controversial (sp) subjects and I will now keep them to myself.

I am far too excited about my trip then to spend my days arguing with strangers about what I think and what they think.

After all I can pack, unpack, pack, unpack, make more lists, and pack and unpack again. Everyone have fun.. I am done with this post and others about dress codes and what to wear, time to go flame some alcohol ones :D

This is a subject that is like religion and politics, no one wants to agree.

Never said you could not wear your jeans in the MDR on casual nights, I said I WON'T wear them in MDR at all. On the nights I choose to wear my jean you will find me at Johnny Rockets or in the Windjammer.

Never once said I think less of someone who chooses not to wear formal, at least I dont think I did. If I did forgive me, cause that is not how it was meant to come out. All I said was that I dont agree with it. I will stick to "SUGGESTED" attire, yup I said it again.

But as the OP started this thread with 'asking' if it was ok. Her answers were a combination of peoples personal experiences in the MDR and some were peoples opinions on the subject. Mine was just that, an opinion. I have af ew of them on some controversial (sp) subjects and I will now keep them to myself.

I am far too excited about my trip then to spend my days arguing with strangers about what I think and what they think.

After all I can pack, unpack, pack, unpack, make more lists, and pack and unpack again. Everyone have fun.. I am done with this post and others about dress codes and what to wear, time to go flame some alcohol ones :D

This is a subject that is like religion and politics, no one wants to agree.

Wow, even with me saying I wasn't trying to upset you, clearly I see I must have hit a nerve. I was trying to be nice; not rude. No need to argue with this stranger. I am done as well.

Archived