Nice jeans allowed in the dining room??

I am sorry if this has been posted here before .......but are nice jeans allowed in the dining room at dinner time? Paired with a nice top? I know on some other cruise lines this is fine...not sure if that is the case with RCCL these days. Thanks!

I do not care, but your suggested dress is proscribed by the suggested dress code.

I do not care, but your suggested dress is proscribed by the suggested dress code

Right - it's a "suggested" dress code and not required which is what everyone is arguing about - whether one has to follow a suggested dress code.

Some of these same people pack snorkel gear, irons (even though they aren't allowed), cans of soda, ten pounds of video equipment, twenty books to read, etc. etc. etc.

My snorkel gear is the most important thing for me to bring! Seriously, I've never actually brought jeans on a cruise because I prefer lighter clothes in warm places but I apologize in advance for my upcoming cruise - I might be repeating dinner outfits with these crazy baggage rules.

Well, technically speaking, evening gowns are not on the list for ladies formal wear. Technically speaking it doesn't mention that men should wear a shirt and pants on smart casual nights, so I guess you don't have to wear them. :eek:
And Ellen Degeneres would never be able to attend a formal night on a RC cruise as she hates dresses. But rules are rules. At least she can wear a pantsuit for smart casual nights.

I don't mean this in a negative way, but I am curious why so many questions on Jeans. Is it because you only wear jeans most of the time. Probably every one I know from age 1 to 100 owns a pair of jeans but they also have other type of pants/slacks. I see people wearing them to Church on Sunday morning ( I don't like that but at least they are in church.) If the only way you are going to feel not restricted is to wear jeans, by all means wear them. My three sons (teenagers and early 20's) have never even thought of wearing jeans out to a restaurant other than fast food.

Just some comments based on curiosity of why this question comes up so much.

Yes, I mostly wear jeans in real life, and that includes to work, a white collar job. I would not give my jeans a second thought when contemplating a trip out to Applebee's. Restaurants vary greatly and I think you would find jeans much more accepted than years gone by. The Casualling of America...

{What!! Are you saying my Acid Washed jeans from the 80's are not nice jeans. I’m appalled.}

Ha! Ha! Ha! DaveKathy, acid wash aside, if you're still wearing them, then they are probably NOT nice jeans! :)

I don't know how to copy someone's post in my post as a response, ya know where it's shaded in blue etc. Also I can never do those little faces in my posts. They always end up up in the subject......

. Also I can never do those little faces in my posts. They always end up up in the subject......

All you do is hit the little blue quote button in the post you want to quote.

I love these threads. They always turn into a 10 page thread in a matter of a day or 2 and they are always the same.

I am sorry if this has been posted here before .......but are nice jeans allowed in the dining room at dinner time? Paired with a nice top? I know on some other cruise lines this is fine...not sure if that is the case with RCCL these days. Thanks!

Yes, nice Jeans are allowed in the dining room for dinner (so are mean Jeans).

I am thinking of doing my very first cruise from Venice 7 nights leaving on Oct 2nd on splendor of the seas. I have a problem. Ithis cruise will be in the middle of travelling for 3 months around europe. From aus we only have 20 kg limit on luggage and I do not intend taking my ball gown (even if I had one) . I thought that smart casual will be Ok. I will take a few dresses and maybe some nicer shoes but I have to be realistic. I will look Ok (i hope ) but I will not be able to take really dressy stuff that I will wear only once in 3 months.

will this be a huge problem.

lynee

I am thinking of doing my very first cruise from Venice 7 nights leaving on Oct 2nd on splendor of the seas. I have a problem. Ithis cruise will be in the middle of travelling for 3 months around europe. From aus we only have 20 kg limit on luggage and I do not intend taking my ball gown (even if I had one) . I thought that smart casual will be Ok. I will take a few dresses and maybe some nicer shoes but I have to be realistic. I will look Ok (i hope ) but I will not be able to take really dressy stuff that I will wear only once in 3 months.

lynee

This should be no problem - you can wear a dress, and be good to go. Sounds like a great trip, hope you have a super time.

lynee

Get a little black dress in a matte jersey fabric. It will roll into a little ball in your suitcase but will look very stylish with a necklace and earrrings. You can wear it many times and depending on your accessories, you will look like you are wearing something different each night.;)

I wore jeans every night in the dining room except formal. I bought my cruise on my own, I deserved the vacation, and frankly I don't care if I offended anybody.

Reminds me of an old Steve Martin bit, from his "Let's Get Small" comedy album, circa 1976 or 1977. Guy at the next table says to him, "do you mind if I smoke?" and Steve's reply is "not at all, do you mind if I fart? Its one of MY habits. I quit for a year once, you know, but then I gained a lot of weight..."

I know style of dress and smoking are different, though both highly entertaining threads, but I guess something about the indifference about one's fellow passenger expressed in the post that I quoted called to mind all manner of offensive behavior, and from there it was a quick hop, skip and jump to the Steve Martin line.

The curious thing about those so ready to fight for their right to wear jeans is that a pair of khakis will just about never invite any such controversy, and at this stage of my life (46) I just find them so much more comfortable to wear, so I have worn khakis to the dining room or alternate restaurant or even the WJ for dinner every night on some cruises and it is never an issue, but some insist on the jeans. Neither is formal, neither is fine, neither is expensive (to refute the "I don't own a tux" or "I don't own a suit" issue), and from the pile of Dockers at Costco I walked by yesterday, they come in a wide variety of colors, including blue. Still, can't come between some folks and their denim, and my preferences do not necessarily reflect those of this station or its management....

thanks girls for your encouragement the little black dress is a must. Just have to get some black shoes that are actually comfortable to walk and dance in .( thats if i dance) so my feet don't kill. I expect I have to leave my shoes on! Hey some of the people on this site seem more uppity than us down to earth casual aussies. Don't worry I can scrub up nice when I need to. :)

The RCCL Texas market and Vogager out of Galveston

will have a more relaxed policy,

and some passengers will wear jeans because of the market resource.

Remember you are in Texas

and Jeans are accepted in the professional workplace

especially in Fort Worth, Houston, Austin and yes even in Dallas.

Therefore they are worn on ship

because of home state and our culture.

I have even seen cowboy hats in dining room.

Rodeo's in Texas are BIG and some of the largest charitable events in the state every year. The month long Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo gives out 12 to 15 MILLION in schlorships annually and growing.

It truly is something to attend in March

each year while you are in Texas.:D

Please wear nice ones though. There are always a couple that don't.:eek:

There is no such thing as nice jeans!

are jeans allowed in the main dining room on formal night....yes yes yes yes yes.....how do I know....because we asked the restaurant manager (or whatever his official title was) the only things he said were NOT allowed were shorts, tank tops, bathing suits.

does it really matter what people wear, after all your sat down for the majority of the time and I very much doubt that wearing jeans will stop people eating or having conversation! ;)

But I've seen some nice things in jeans.;)

YES they are the hottest hottest nice things at the rodeo in Houston!:D

Male or Female which is all relative!!!!!!!!!!;)

We love rodeo here as evidenced by the fact that Carnival Warehouse

named the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo the Top Fair in the North American Continent for 2009

with attendance of 1,890,332........ topping the Texas State Fair in Dallas for the first time..

It is a big charitable event!!! 12 to 15 million is giving out annually in college schlorships EACH year

This is something worth while to do before or after a cruise..... from Galvestion....

in February/ March.

This is partially why you see a lot of nice things in jeans on board the Vogager out of Galveston.

What are nice jeans? Does it go by cost? The more expensive the nicer? For instance the jeans with holes like the country singers ware that cost a thousand bucks: are these nice?

Not in my opinion, but I have seen many instances of "nice" jeans in the MDR. I have also seen many instances of dreadful Dockers that seem to be on the Dress Code Mafia approval list. I wouldn't be found dead in a pair of Dockers, America's gift to the badly dressed. Besides, they look terrible with a big silver buckle and boots.

Not in my opinion, but I have seen many instances of "nice" jeans in the MDR. I have also seen many instances of dreadful Dockers that seem to be on the Dress Code Mafia approval list. I wouldn't be found dead in a pair of Dockers, America's gift to the badly dressed. Besides, they look terrible with a big silver buckle and boots.

Not speaking to you!

In spite of nice things in jeans........

I promise....... everybody will see alot of western boots.

Especially on formal night, out of respect for self and others.....

old raggedy pants, ragggedy jeans and ragggedy dirty tenny shoes

should be a no no ...........

but it happens.

Others bring your Sunday BEST!!!!!

I will be in a tux!

I love to drink my lone star beer, shiner beer and dirty martini's in nice western wear down here....

but that is our culture down hear on the ranch........ you know. Wouldn't want to be out of place!

Texas Born and Raised

Archived