Hanging out in the Room

HI....I know this will sound weird, but frankly, I enjoy hanging out in my room on a cruise! Here's the situation. I'm going on a 14 day transatlantic. For the cruising days, I assure you, there's nothing outside to see. I do enjoy the activities, but I really can't tolerate the smoking and the crowds. It's ok for one trivia game or two, but much more than that and I need to rest. My coworkers asked why I didn't just stay home. I tried that plan too but at home, I have the internet, household chores etc. Plus, I am the pres of the homeowner's association so if I stay home, people will call with issues or I will notice the workers doing something wrong that needs fixing (we've been doing renovations for a year since the hurricane). It's not relaxing, particularly when I'm trying to get fun stuff done and the workers are walking on the roof.

I have found that these transatlantic cruises are relaxing...no homeowner issues, no internet to distract me, no bills to think about and no cooking or cleaning! :)

Here's the problem...last time, the cabin steward would find me in my room watching tv on my laptop (dvds) and knitting. Each time, he would say "Are you sick?". No...I was not ill, I was having a GREAT, smoke free time. I then found myself feeling pressure to not be in my cabin, lest someone think I was sick! In fact, I did get sick in the second half of the cruise due to the smoke exposure from not being in my smoke-free environment...but that's another story.

So...this time, I'm thinking about having an upfront, honest discussion with the cabin steward. "Dude, I LOVE spending time in my room and that's why I love transatlantic cruises. Could we coordinate on cleaning times so that I can have my room available?" Obviously, I'd say it a bit nicer, but I'm thinking that if I could suggest that they clean my room as one of the first in the morning (during my morning walk) and maybe at 6-6:30pm during the first show, then we can stay out of each others' way and maybe by telling the person that I just love hanging out, maybe they won't think I'm sick?

Has anyone else done this before or have a better suggestion? I definitely WANT to leave my room to eat, rollerblade, ice skate, trivia and Bingo. It's not that I never want to leave my room. But apparently, staying in the room for more than 1 hr per day when not bedtime is "unusual". Considering that there are something like 8 sea days, this will happen for many days of my cruise and I have LOTS of knitting scheduled and lots of DVDs and movies to bring.

HI....I know this will sound weird, but frankly, I enjoy hanging out in my room on a cruise! Here's the situation. I'm going on a 14 day transatlantic. For the cruising days, I assure you, there's nothing outside to see. I do enjoy the activities, but I really can't tolerate the smoking and the crowds. It's ok for one trivia game or two, but much more than that and I need to rest. My coworkers asked why I didn't just stay home. I tried that plan too but at home, I have the internet, household chores etc. Plus, I am the pres of the homeowner's association so if I stay home, people will call with issues or I will notice the workers doing something wrong that needs fixing (we've been doing renovations for a year since the hurricane). It's not relaxing, particularly when I'm trying to get fun stuff done and the workers are walking on the roof.

I have found that these transatlantic cruises are relaxing...no homeowner issues, no internet to distract me, no bills to think about and no cooking or cleaning! :)

Here's the problem...last time, the cabin steward would find me in my room watching tv on my laptop (dvds) and knitting. Each time, he would say "Are you sick?". No...I was not ill, I was having a GREAT, smoke free time. I then found myself feeling pressure to not be in my cabin, lest someone think I was sick! In fact, I did get sick in the second half of the cruise due to the smoke exposure from not being in my smoke-free environment...but that's another story.

So...this time, I'm thinking about having an upfront, honest discussion with the cabin steward. "Dude, I LOVE spending time in my room and that's why I love transatlantic cruises. Could we coordinate on cleaning times so that I can have my room available?" Obviously, I'd say it a bit nicer, but I'm thinking that if I could suggest that they clean my room as one of the first in the morning (during my morning walk) and maybe at 6-6:30pm during the first show, then we can stay out of each others' way and maybe by telling the person that I just love hanging out, maybe they won't think I'm sick?

Has anyone else done this before or have a better suggestion? I definitely WANT to leave my room to eat, rollerblade, ice skate, trivia and Bingo. It's not that I never want to leave my room. But apparently, staying in the room for more than 1 hr per day when not bedtime is "unusual". Considering that there are something like 8 sea days, this will happen for many days of my cruise and I have LOTS of knitting scheduled and lots of DVDs and movies to bring.

Your plan sounds great - just have a friendly chat up front. I'm sure that your steward will be happy to work with you on the timing.

thats what we did....since mom has trouble getting around she spent lots of time in the cabin.

generally we just needed trash emptied and towel and ice in the AM...and they then did a little more at night....

we didn't need sheets changed every day (they don't do it anyway..) Our one lady still insisted on dusting or vacuuming or cleaning the balcony..but we basically said just skip us....it worked out that maybe every other day we were out in the day for a bit.

we did discuss it ahead, and also told their supervisor that it was OK if we got skipped..as long as we had towels and ice. he seemed OK with it. (i had read that if the supervisor comes to check on them, and the cabin isn't done they can get in trouble, unless the guest has informed the 'powers that be!'

We too like to hang in the cabin and stare out at the sea!

enjoy! i want to do a TA someday! (and i think i have to learn to knit!)

We spent more time in the room then we'd planned. We watched "Julie and Julia" over and over and over again and basically vegged in there a few hours before dinner every night.

Our room steward would open our door, see us, and apologize. This is when we figured out how to use the Do Not Disturb sign. Take it away and your steward will know when he can enter.

Thanks for the support! I think my last cruise they were very sensitive to noro virus. But maybe if I just tell the guy that I AM enjoying myself when I'm in the room, he'll be ok again. :) I should say that he probably was trying to be sensitive to me (ie he probably was genuinely concerned that I was either ill or not having fun)...so I shouldn't complain. I'll try the upfront approach this time and see if that'll work. :)

You are far from alone in enjoying your stateroom. I bring plenty of books (but now I have an e-book reader instead). I plan to smuggle :eek: some liquor aboard so I can kick back.

Although I love cruising, my tolerance for people can run thin. Sometimes I just need a place to be away from all of "them" and just relax. Plus, even at 40, I love my afternoon naps so I can stay awake much later than I do at home.

I wonder if cabin stewards are ever subject to "random inspection" of the cabins they're assigned to? That might explain their mild reluctance to skip the regular cleaning, even when the passenger requests.

Having the freedom to just hang out in the room is what makes cruising a perfect family vacation for us.

The kids and I tend to run around, join groups, and generally explore all of our surroundings, but my DH spends most of our cruises hanging out in the room and enjoying the feel of the ship rocking on the ocean. Our Steward a few years ago stopped me in the hall one day to ask if DH was ok since she'd not been able to go in and clean. I told her he was fine and then gently coaxed hubby out of his comfort zone just long enough to have the room freshened.

It might seem strange to some, but it's a great arrangement for us.

We spend a lot of time in our rooms too, since our cruises are usually our time to reconnect and relax. We just like to nap or sit on our balcony if we have one and read and play cards and just hang out. We put the do not disturb card in and if we need towels or ice or whatever, we just ask and have had no problem. Our stewards have always told us that they would plan to clean our cabins between certain times each day, so speaking to them about YOUR plans sounds good. To me, that sounds like a glorious way to spend your vacation. Enjoy!

DH & I also do not take cruises to play bingo, socialize with people we don't know (we chat from time to time, but let's face it - it is superficial), play silly games, and watch mundane theatre. We cruise to relax, and/or to ferry from USA to Europe & return, but most of all to have uninterrupted time together.

We spend all afternoon in our cabin to nap, watch movie(s) on portable DVD or read, sit on balcony, clean up for dinner, etc. Then, we return to our cabin immediately after dinner & remain there. So, I can relate to you loving the peace and enjoying the luxury of your cabin.

On boarding day, when we meet our cabin steward, we advise him/her of the time we desire to have our cabin cleaned in the a.m. & turn down in the p.m. We also advise him/her that we spend most of our time relaxing in our room - so no surprise or concern from the steward.

Then we make sure that we are out of our cabin during the times we requested, which conincide with our breakfast & dinner - inserting the "Please Clean" sign on the door. The rest of the time, we keep the "Do not Disturb" sign on our door - even when we are not in the room. That way if we unexpectedly return to our cabin, we don't have to worry about running into the steward in our cabin.

If we want to skip a cleaning time, we simply inform the cabin steward & keep the "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door.

Enjoy your cabin. Why not, you paid a lot of money for it! And, when else can you excuse yourself for just vegetating - ahhhh!

I loved hanging out in my room! When I did my 'Mommy' trip (alone), I would just watch TV and read my book everyday! It was the best 5 days! I can't wait to go again!!!

I did walk around and see things, but for the most part I would return to my my room with drink in hand and just relax!

I could use that today:rolleyes:

DH spends a TON of time in the room. He doesn't like the pool area but does like the air on the balcony. I actually don't know what he does in there :rolleyes: because I am ALWAYS by the pool in the sun with a book and a drink.

Monica

I had a good laugh at what the OP wrote about being a homeowners' president. My hubby is pres of a large condo association. One of the main reasons we cruise is so he can escape from the very things the OP wrote.

Also, we like to hang out on our balcony on a cruise. I've often told the stewart to clean the room and I would sit on the balcony and be perfectly content.

:D I have a very mild case of claustrophobia, and consequently try to budget for JR. or full suites. I too like to spend time there.

I look on the late afternoon as attitude adjustment time....hang out in said spacious suite in shorts or track pants, very comfy, order bottle of wine and cheese plate, relax on balcony and proceed to adjust attitude.

When attitude is properly adjusted, don suit or tux as necessary according to "type of Day" ( willingly as attitude is good and I score mucho points with DW). Proceed to concierge lounge for fine tuning of attitude.

Head towards MDR or specialty restaurant with stop in Champagne/Martini/Schooner bar for final attitude adjustment.

Enjoy food wherever I am as poor food/ service will probably not be noticed and certainly not remembered.

Completely enjoy cruise as regular attitude adjustment has prevented any stress with "problems"

Ken

Archived